How are you supposed to write on a job resume that you are proficient in "linux"

how are you supposed to write on a job resume that you are proficient in "linux"

sure you could be a god at debian or gentoo but that doesnt mean you know fedora or red hat

do you just write out gnu/linux?

I too am wondering how I could reference my usage of Linux and basics of bash and CLI as a skill.

To be safe write something like GNU/(X11/wayland)/Linux/perl/python operating system

> I dont know how to say I know bash

you write, verbatim, that you are proficient in whatever distributions and bash.
don't say "GNU/Linux" because it implies you are a freetard or otherwise weird. you never really know whether it's going to be an HR lady screening for autists reading your resume before the actually skilled interviewer.

get a comptia linux+ cert

I mean when it comes to bash skills it's not hugely different from distro to distro. Each one has many of the same tools and the bash she'll in terms of how it behaves never changes. Unless your super occustomed to a specific distro I would say just put down GNU/Linux

- Working knowledge of Linux
---- Distros used: Gentoo, SourceMage, Arch
---- Tools used: zsh, bash, CLI, X11, Python, ...
---- Skills learned: OS fundamentals, resource management, file systems, piping, ...

Linux/Bash

What the fuck does it mean to be good at Linux? Are you good at Windows? Do you do Google well too? The employer isn't going to give a shit unless you tell them what creative/cool/valuable thing you did with the platform.

They're not gonna know what a freetard is.
They're dumping your resume because your sound black, or latino, or white, or better yet, you don't have enough of the keywords on your resume.
Most real HR people do this with a software filter, the real way to score phone calls is to copy paste the job listing verbatim into your resume and then shrink it to 1px and color it white.

How do you tell them that you know how to computer?
Most people don't know how to computer.

>What the fuck does it mean to be good at Linux?
that you are good at using a computer
>Are you good at Windows?
yes but windows is gay
>Do you do Google well too?
with four keywords I can find documents that would take you weeks to discover

>copy paste the job listing verbatim into your resume and then shrink it to 1px and color it white.
modern capitalism everybody

>the real way to score phone calls is to copy paste the job listing verbatim into your resume and then shrink it to 1px and color it white.
Hello, NEET. HR and recruiters have been looking for this kind of thing for awhile now. You WILL get caught.

_Proficiencies_
Linux: (Debian, Gentoo), bash, shell scripting, system administration

They'll get the point.

Just writing "Shell scripting" should be enough. You can elaborate in the interviews.

also type out your resume in plaintext using a monospaced system font

My soul weeps for your lack of future careers

shut the fuck up retard

>spam out my resume for months
>no replies
>send fake resumes with feminine version of my name
>5 phone calls that same week

lmao

Put Shaniqua as your name and you'll get 25.

Just say you're proficient in administrating Linux systems (3+ years)

Just copy pajeet's resume and change the name to yours.

L-a cuz the dash don't be silent
*phone rings off hook*

user, your advice is ten years out of date.

double dubs

whats with this hating on capitalism thing, ever since I joined mastodon, im seeing things I just thought were memes, did you know white cis gendered men are evil?

Will this actually work?

Up until a few years ago, yes.
Now "competent" HR drones look out for this.

No. Best case scenario the SalesForce thing grabs it and automatically discards it. Worst case scenario an actual human sees it, calls you in for an interview, and confronts you about it. That shit doesn't work anymore. If you're going to lie, don't bother hiding it.

Did you read the advice on Sup Forums?
Then no.

>proficient in administrating Linux systems (3+ years)
Does using Ubuntu, setting up iptables via ufw, writing trivial bash scripts, using CLI programs where applicable, understanding basics filesystems, partitioning, lvm, encryption, etc count?

>calls you in for an interview, and confronts you about it.

thats a success, you now have a chance to whoo them

yes. it shows incentive and improvisation and doing what it takes to win. hr loves that shit.

No, this requires a cert or else you're just talking out your ass with hobbyist shit LARPing as a sysadmin

>calls you in for an interview
So you're saying it's the best method of getting an interview?

HR doesn't like be tricked.
Any autist with some NEETbux can get a cert.

except the ones that like to be tricked of course

I hope you retards aren't actually serious. If they decide to call you in after discovering your trickery they're not going to hire you regardless. You're only there so the management can shit on you for a few minutes. They might even tell other companies to trash your resume immediately.

Just don't do it. It won't work.

In fact, kill the other applicants if you can. Maximum effort.

Any company these days will have 2000 applicants for every available position, they're not going to waste their time for a self-indulgent ego trip.

how would you describe doing freelance computer work? i dont keep track of everyone ive helped so im guessing its all for nothing

>they're not going to waste their time for a self-indulgent ego trip.

Why would any company anywhere do this? What kind of incentive do they have?

>i did freelance computer work

Give a couple of general examples of your most common or most creative tasks, then have a scenario ready for the interview if they ask you to go into more detail

You don't really understand the mindset of HR, do you?

I guess fucking not if they take randoms in just to let management jerk themselves off about how shitty the applicants are.

sadly this. you could say that they have """principles"""

They do.
They are overpaid communications majors who have no real connection to the position they're trying to fill so they go with what they know.
If they don't like you you're not getting passed onto the second round.

If you're doing sysadmin/IT shit get a cert. If you're some kind of developer say you're familiar with Linux based development environments.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!