Hypothetically speaking...

Hypothetically speaking, if your ISP only provides dynamic IP addresses (your IP changes each time you reboot your router)

Just how hard would it be for big brother to make a profile off you?

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/900021/how-to-internet-without-isp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can assume that ISP's keep a log of used IP's.

To answer your question, not hard.

trivial, as long as the isp cooperates with big brother (they're required to by law)

How can I connect to the internet without ISP?

How can I google simple questions without presenting them on Sup Forums?
superuser.com/questions/900021/how-to-internet-without-isp

Heh, not a problem, i live in shitholistan and my ISP keeps no logs so i guess i'm fine

Any ISP keeps logs user. Even if it's for troubleshooting. Doesn't necessarily have to be for keeping tabs on people.

cuckoverflow only displays nsa approved responses.

Even without stackoverflow, you could figure it out yourself. It's common sense. Read the explanation below:

"By definition, ISP means "Internet Service Provider". If a server gets its internet from the datacenter, the datacenter is the ISP.

Servers don't connect "directly" to the internet because there is no single company that owns the internet. There are many large companies such as XO Communications and Level 3, that own so much cable backbone throughout the world that people pay them for access. Those networks share data amongst themselves usually at no cost, but unless you own an entire countries worth of fiber optic lines, you probably won't get a free internet connection."

Nope, thing is, it's not affordable for them to keep all the data (well, not for a decent amount of time anyway) as they're the only major ISP in my country and pretty much everybody uses it.
this was straight out of the mouth of my friend who works there

What shithole? that sounds like my own shithole

a country bordering algeria, you?

Some shit country on South America

Their DHCP server should probably keep logs of what IP's are assigned to who. This is default and does not require a lot of storage, at all.

But this time, to really answer your question, if you're talking about the government trying to keep tabs on you, they couldn't. Because for them, it'd just be random IP's. They'd have to go to your ISP and ask for the logs/whatever they keep. And they won't do this without a really fucking good reason, because it's extra work. And extra work costs extra money.

The government always has to rely on either backdooring, or claiming information at the ISP their target is connected to.

I doubt anyone gives a fuck about cybercrime in Africa anyways.

Yeah, sounds fair enough

but i still feel paranoid for some reason, i believe that i am running all the privacy tools i need (Firefox with the necessary extensions, Windows7 noupdatesSP1, even a VPN when i'm not posting on Sup Forums,firewall enabled, no rootkits)

but it still feels like i neglected a spot and i have a hole.
>Fuck, this is your mind on NSA surveillance

Browser fingerprinting.

/thread

>what is random agent spoofing
sure they'd get ""your"" fingerprint but it'd be wrong as hell

Oh you sweet summer child. Hardcore tracking uses multiple sources to get a durable id, and does crazyass things like checking your installed fonts, rendering something in a canvas elements and checking the result, checking your screen resolution, your time zone, your accept headers, your language, loaded plugins, and more. Some strategies can id a device even across browsers. This shit is hard to foil.

This, they got the modem mac address, thats how its really logged.

what about mac adress spoofing?

If you spoof your modem's mac you lose connection.

When you sign up for an internet plan, you either rent their modem (which they know the mac of) or you own your own, so you give them the mac of that modem, then, using that mac, they authorize it to connect to the internet at the given speed of your plan.

If you change modem, or spoof mac on the same modem to have a different mac address, you wont have internet, you have to call up your isp and tell them the new mac address to regain connection...so you've accomplished nothing by doing that.

You can spoof mac addresses within your network, not the modem, but ultimately the isp knows the mac address of your modem, so they know from what home what packets were sent to where.

Unless you use a vpn and the dns doesnt leak

>Unless you use a vpn and the dns doesnt leak
correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't your information go to through the ISP before the VPN? isn't it futile?

It goes through isp in an encrypted form, so the isp knows you have an encrypted connected to the vpn provider, but thats all.

However piecing together information on when you were connected to the vpn, and when other things are done online by an "anonymous" user, then correlating the two can be done.

>windows
>privacy

Piss off stallman i'm using the oldest version of Win7 SP1 with no windows updates
no data is being sent to microsoft, not one kilobyte.

Because all of it goes to a Russian C&C server

Using a VPN would protect against that, but fingerprinting could get you

That does absolute jack shit.
VPN alone does not protect against the NSA.

OP's case is that he's living in some north african shithole
i don't think NSA extends to him considering that he's using

literally none of this fucking matters as long as you are:

-using an american ISP
-using an intel/amd/proprietary CPU loaded with backdoors
-using proprietary boots
-using proprietary operating systems
-paying for your internet noncash
-using a VPN that is american based

you really should just kill yourself you arent going to win this

>-using an american ISP
nope
>-using an intel/amd/proprietary CPU loaded with backdoors
my CPU is pre 2009
>-using proprietary boots
librebutt
>-using proprietary operating systems
tails OS
>-paying for your internet noncash
no
>-using a VPN that is american based
no

Where I'm at ISPs have like a year or so lease of IP and otherwise tie it to MAC.

Restarting the router does nothing unless you change its MAC.

You're a fool if you think dynamic IPs protect you from anything but non-account based services that ban you. Smart admins will see that forum trolls, for instance, are coming from a similar IP range through new account signups

I'm not so sure Comcast does. One of my clients got a complaint from them about an open DNS resolver being abused at their IP address (which was false). I suspected the previous lessee had the issue and by the time Comcast got around to notifying the current user of that IP address, the client had leased the IP address and received the complaint.
The point is Comcast had no way to confirm when, where, or to whom the IP address had last been given out to.

It's more than likely that Comcast simply had no reason to dig that deep into their records and instead just passed the notice along, also likely that its cheaper for a customer to say back " hey that wasnt me wtf" than spending manpower to do it.

That's why you should always use a vpn, not just when you want to be "private"

I'm using my own modem on Verizon wo spoofing the Mac address of the modem they provided. I didn't give them my Mac address either and can shitpost just fine :^)

The same rule as always applies.

If they target you = you are fucked. It doesn't matter what you have or have not, if they want you they will get you.

If they don't target you = you are safe. It's absolutely impossible to randomly target criminals with the amount of irrelevant noise going on in the information network. It costs quite a few work hours to put a case together with all the relevant information.

>>If they target you = you are fucked. It doesn't matter what you have or have not, if they want you they will get you.
It is possible to hide from three-letter agencies. It's incredibly difficult, and you lose if you make one slip. But it is possible.

If it wasn't possible there wouldn't be ISIS or pedos anymore, they would have all been caught.

It's hardly about that even if it's possible. Random ISIS agents and all those pedos are not caught yet since it's incredibly hard to detect specific people in the data noise, even if they're completely unprotected. How much can the entire spy network of the entire world combined filter of the entire data they are harvesting? Less than 10%?

>But it is possible.
There are just two methods.
1. Keep yourself apart from the mass and hope they go for the greatest chance of a hit.
2. Dive into the mass and rely on numbers to obscure your presence.
Both are losing strategies.
The agencies don't need proof, just evidence.
Evidence is what will convince a jury. Real or manufactured. It depends on how badly they want you.
I stumbled on a CP board years ago, before they got wise and fled to TOR and such. There was a notice on the front page saying that the guys behind it had been arrested but the FBI weren't interested in the clientel. Too much work.

well the reason you go to all the careful effort is to prevent them from learning your real-life identity. You're right that if they know who you are then they can convince a jury, or just drone-strike you. Your goall is to stop them from figuring that out.

>If they target you = turn off the fucking computer
solved

Sure thing agent gibbs.

It's trivially easy for analytics companies to do it without access to your ISP's records, using techniques like cookies, beacons, referrer headers, account logins, facebook like buttons you don't even click on, and even user agent fingerprinting.

what about VPN providers that you have an identifiable login, or is that encrypted with no fingerprints?

this shit is heavy

Get a zero-log VPN, and then you're responsible on your own for making your browser untrackable by configuring it correctly.

Say I have internet service through a company. If I cancelled my service and spoofed the MAC address of someone who still has service, would I have internet?

you are assuming they base their authorization on mac adresses and not your connecting ip

That's bullshit and you know it. You can decrypt it with CA certificate. That's how Antivirus software does it.

No, they're just deactivating the cable to your house I think.

What if that assumption is accurate?

My particular cable company allows you to hook up a modem and connect to them and do an online self-install, so I don't think this is the case as the line always provides an active connection of some sort.