/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/photos/rms-working/pages/
youtube.com/watch?v=wMvyOGawNwo
youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg
alpinelinux.org/
clang.llvm.org/
musl.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tinycore 8.0

>devuan
systemd haters have been proven wrong so many times now. seriously, fuck off once for good.

Your provides sources actually changes my mind. Thanks for posting!

>says increasingly nervous german redhat programmer 31st time this year

Is there any software for Linux that would let me type shit remotely onto my android device? kinda like KDE Connect's virtual input just the other way around. Or something that would let me see my android screen on PC and use it from there.

ssh

ssh?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Android, is in fact, Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, the Linux operating system. Android is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Linux system made useful by the Linux kernel, syscalls and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Linux operating system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Linux which is widely used today is often called "Android", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Linux operating system, developed by the Linux Foundation.

Τhere really is an Android, and these peοple are using it, but it is јust a part οf the system they use: Android is the interface: the prοgrams in the system that interacts with the user. Τhe interface is an essential part οf an οperating system, but useless by itself; it can οnly functiοn in the cοntext οf a cοmplete οperating system. Android is nοrmally used in cοmbinatiοn with the Linux operating system: the whοle system is basically Linux with Android added, or just "Linux". All the sο-called "Android" operating systems are really just Linux operating systems.

linux was a mistake

Devuan is fantastic, you should try it, Lennart.

Also the Devuan developers are tip top, they even implement a 'no code of conduct', like a professional distribution should.

>see bullshit post
>painstakingly disprove every point, citing unimpeachable sources.
>see similar thread next day.
>open.
>see same copypaste bullshit post, with same filename.jpg and same faggot tripcode.

Not sure if it actually did worse than good. Sure Linux developers and Open Source shills pretty much hold the success of Free Software back, but at the other hand, would people even care about freedom without Linux making it (freedom) "by accident" popular?
I wouldn't say Linux it's a mistake, but it's a mistake what people currently do: Trying to turn GNU/Linux in yet another monopoly, ruled by corporations like Red Hat, Microsoft, Google (and/or whatever current premium member at the Linux Foundation).

r u drunk?
pls rephrase ur question

Anyone want me to write a shell script? I'm bored and need some challenge/exercise.

Can you make this work?
I need to recursivly go in to a directory and withn ints folders and look for an extension,when it finds this extension it moves it back to the base directory.
This works but not for whitespace filenames
for i in $(find . -name "*.rar"); do mv "$i" ./ ; done

In this instance moving all rar files back one directory

ssh you babby

You may just want the -exec option of find, which runs a command on every result (with \; or on all results with \+).
find . -name '*.rar' -exec mv {} . \;

For testing, just prefix with "echo":
find . -name '*.rar' -exec echo mv {} . \;

cool guy here, "." isn't needed, just ommit it
find -name '*.rar' -exec echo mv {} . \;

Well right, but I'm not sure if portable.

-ok instead of -exec will ask for verification each hit.

Already forgot about this, added to my oneliners. Have this RARE stallman for your troubles.

How would you specify multiple file types at the same time?

>nobody will ever know what is in my bag

dead parrots and a collection of toe jam and dead foot skin

So guys, it seems that XFWM fucks up when a 640x480 program attempts to fullscreen. After swapping to Marco, it went to full screen properly. Is there a config to fix that in XFWM or should I just swap WMs?

fluxbox

What are some snazzy terminal commands? I already know about telnet mapscii.me

post output of
apt-get moo

# dl all rms.sry pics into the current dir
wget -nc -nd -nv -re robots=off -ERhtml -Ajpg,JPG rms.sexy/img
# dl all rms working pics into the current dir
n="$(wget -qO- stallman.org/photos/rms-working/pages/ | sed -n 's#.*href="\(.*\)\.html".*#\1#p' | sort -n | tail -1)"; i=1; while [ "$i" -ne "$n" ]; do wget -qO- "stallman.org/photos/rms-working/pages/${i}.html" | sed -n 's#.*alt="\([^"].*[jpg|JPG]\).*#stallman.org/photos/rms-working/\1#p'; i="$((i+1))"; done | xargs wget -nc -n

reminder thatn .sexy and .working may overlap, if you want a quick collection of stallmans, go the rms.sexy way, if you want the full stallmans, be aware that you may need to fix the orientation of some of the .working stallmans.

Made by /fglt/ in collab: GPLv3
for n in $(seq `tput cols`);{ x=-;((n%5))||x=+;((n%10))||x=\|;echo -n $x;}

Trying to install debian 9
I get an error that says something about CD
What do?

read the error carefully

let me explain why your ruler never took off:
>Q: wait what, you don't know about the /fglt/-Ruler? wtf
>A: does it even have a logo?
>Q:

Your installation CD-ROM could not be mounted

here's how it works:

a)
>create shitty shit
b)
>post on HN
c)
>????

meant for you

bash: apt-get: command not found

How come gnome is so shit at handling font sizes and the window title borders? It looks so bad, and the behaviour is painfully inconsistent.

At x1 UI scaling, Gnome is pretty much unusable on a MBPr, unless you crank up the font size. Then most of the windows look just fine, EXCEPT from firefow and the top bar. They have an appropriate font size by default, so scaling up the rest of the fonts cause these to be massive.

ONLY firefox and the top bar show this weird behaviour in font size, as far as I can tell, and it just makes no sense to me. I am trying soooo hard to like Gnome and get away from buggy KDE, but I'm just not ever getting it to look usable.

How do we, the community, fix the systemd problem? Companies like canonical and red hat make it look like we actually want it (which may even open doors to more "organizing the chaos which currently GNU/Linux is".

What's /fglt/s stance on this? Do you want a monopoly which "organizes" GNU/Linux? (y/n)

why does this desktop looks so good?

>size 4 font
It looks horrible
Wallpapers are bloat and for fags

What is the best sounding open audio format that any audio player will be able to play?

The ogg container. If something doesn't support ogg, you can be sure that it's sheeple bullcrap.

What is ogg like compared to FLAC or WAV or MP3?

That's an ancient 4k resolution monitor made by IBM.
The font is actually 13px

It's lossy like MP3.
It's better than MP3 at low-to-medium bitrates, so it's perfect for reencoding your music for a mobile playback device for saving space.
ogg vorbis at 192kbps should be comparable to mp3@320kbps at like 1/4 the fucking space.

Can we post some unironically "must have" good aliases or functions?

# systemd aliases and functions

listd() {
echo -e ${BLD}${RED}" --> SYSTEM LEVEL USER LEVEL

People on Sup Forums praise FLAC, how is ogg compared to wav?

>buggy KDE
I STILL don't get this meme. The latest releases have worked wonderfully for me without a single bug or crash.

>currently
I'd suggest ogg, but the currently best shit is opus. Opus encoding compared to mp3 is like -
320k = 192k opus, so you can happyly stream 128k and have EBIN sound on the other end or encode your recordings in 192k opus in order to save spave with really high quality.

wait 2-5 years and people will realize that opus is the future

People on Sup Forums praise flac because it's lossless, free as in freedom and ubiquotous.
Comparing lossless format to another lossless format is silly at best, they all do the same thing

flac is (like wav) lossless, which means, its the same quality as ripped from source
mp3, opus, vorbis, are lossy formats, which means, the drop everything "known" to be unable to hear with the human ear in order to save filesize

flac is the png
mp3 is the jpg

>png
No,flac is TIFF

Sup Forums praises flac because its a free format

Any mpv hackers ITT? I'm trying to figure out how to get the currently played track for my lemonbar shite.

Lossless can convert to lossy without any problems, but lossy cannot convert to lossless?

You can but why? Lossy implies some of the source data was lost to save space How are you going to recover it when converting to lossless?

systemd on devuan

r8

how to bypass youtube-dl "not available in your country" shite?

what does BIOS want to see to boot a USB?

my machine is not booting any usb isos lately. i use dd to burn to usb, even started to && sync to no avail. i dont know enough to figure out if the .iso's are fugged or my machine is acting up

I need to run a gui only program on a headless server. My understanding is i can use X11 forwarding instead of vnc. How do I maintain this program running after i leave the SSH session?

New logo

this one is a giant bee attacking a penguin. ((attacking the mouth) of the penguin)) with a colourful background. Feel free to redistribute this image to your friends family and peers. They will delight! I'm not chinese. Ho ho or santa HE CAN GO FUCK HIMSELF No no jk that was a bad joke like Stalin.

Again. Feel free to redistribute this image to your friends family and peers.

how can we, the community even stop the systems, when corporations will speak for us anyway? what do?

systemd*

10/10, pic made me install Devuan

I installed Manjaro and enjoy it. What is Sup Forums's opinion of this distro?

Bro (my friend), it's Free as in Feeedom. This is what Open Source is all about. You're free to reject anything if you want. This is Linux. Freedom of choice!

idk man, these people just want their salery like everyone else... it doesn't mean that anyone is forced to use %program or %init...

Just leaving this here, b/c it actually changed my POV on things related:
>I'm new, what is systemd, the heck does it do and why is it bad? Is systemd a botnet, does it have the NSA backdoors? If so why? Iisn't an init something that just starts some daemons? also what is this Devuan autism? Please respond.
All answers here: youtube.com/watch?v=wMvyOGawNwo

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

1) Is anybody going to maintain unity now that Ubuntu is switching to gnome?

2) Running mint cinnamon 18, fully updated. i3-5010u, 850 Evo 12 GB ram. Why does my screen blank out for a couple seconds when I login? Is it because I have an encrypted home?

you know why this thread is dead?
freetards

So sorry that this thread doesn't fit your /r/linux reddit consumer theme needs.
Talking about freedom really sucks. That said, when it comes to sell GNU/Linux to Wintards the freedom meme becomes a good seller again, right?
/1.0 butthurt sarcasm

>being this mad
who is this qt

Blow it out your ass

You know why this system exists? Freetards.

I hear some people enjoy it.

youtube.com/watch?v=FQCwYAhZnQg
Has anyone seen the new Sup Forumstuber?

Run a typical docker container? You don't need to actually display anything.

alpinelinux.org/
clang.llvm.org/
musl.com/

It has a no-systemd option, which makes it aces

Say what you what about windows, but windows 7 has a UI that can never be beaten.

Jup, when these programs win the race, it's the death of GNU and free software in general. The open source developent model however will survive, so we can collaborate and contribute to a new Apple/Mircosoft-Like Red Hat systems, which will replace the Unix-like "GNU/Linux" system, and stupid memes about terminology will finally be solved, finally. already, Fuck yes. And since we have TRUE FREEDOM instead of GPL, corporations finally can get our code and push technology in general further to maximum mass surveillence, which also ends terrorism in general.
Hail alpine.

printf "%1s\u25b2\n\u25b2\u0020\u25b2\n"

people take thw alpine meme too serious
alpine is cool when you want a minimal sys for your router, but thats it, nobody would ever run this thing as daily driver os

clane, however, is a serious problem

clang*

When will the linux kernel no longer have gcc dependencies? Do I have to wait for linux to die?

is it possible to install gentoo in chroot? i just want it for the toolchain, not installing in bare metal.

The expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel”.

>clang
Only BSDfags really care.

when you tell linus and co not being lazy
good luck with that, btw :^)