Geography lesson for SOUTH and CENTRAL Americans (but they are not "American"

Geography lesson for SOUTH and CENTRAL Americans (but they are not "American"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas#Etymology_and_naming
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Don't having any other name for your invented nation other than the continent's one doesn't make the rest of the continent automatically not part of it

what?

It's like China changing its name name to The Unites States of Asia and claiming that everyone else are no longer Asians.

No point in dividing America in 2. It was found and named by the spanish and they decide the fuck they want. But you cant try to reason with a country that still uses F° and fucking gallons by tea spoon. Also its day/month/year you faggot

kek, and the name América was used for the southern part before the whole continent, much later your country started with the WE WUZ AMERICA N SHIT

But I am American, you are not American. Yes?

This.

The continent is named ''America'' (or ''the Americas'' if you prefer it), burgerland's official name is United States OF America. =/= America

Keep telling yourself that burger, i am pretty sure you probably support trump too kek

nope, youre:

united statestian
usonian
unistater
usamerican

pick one

Depends on your point of reference. If you're talking about on a continental level, then yeah, from the top of Alaska to the southern tip of Tierra de Fuego, we're all Americans.

I think that the two continents WOULD be called America, if any of the Chicanos were actually relevant.

The way I've always understood the "American" denonym dilemma is this:

Most countries in the world have names which can be broken down int several parts. Russia, for instance, is actually the Russian Federation, just as Mexico is the United Mexican States and Brazil is the Federative Republic of Brazil. While there do exist some exceptions, it seems to me that, so far as nations and their names go, there tends to be a political descriptor ("United States," "Federative Republic," and so forth) in addition to a geographic or ethnic descriptor.

The convention, when referring to persons from any particular place, is to relate their identity to the geographic or ethnic descriptor rather than that which describes the country's politics. That's why Russians are Russians rather than Federationers and Brits are Brits rather than United Kingdomers.

There is no other country in North, Central, or South America which uses "America" as an important part of its full, official name. As such, there is rarely any ambiguity as to what a person might mean when they refer to themselves as "American."

In a similar vein, I don't believe there's any country in the world, Australia aside, where continental identity takes precedence over national identity. A Tico would never say they're American when asked where they're from, just as a Brazilian would probably not declare they're South American rather than Brazilian.

"American" makes sense because it adheres to the same conventions used when defining demonyms for countries all across the world.

Okay, if people from the United States of America can't call themselves Americans, then how can people from the United States of Mexico call themselves Mexicans? That's why we do it.

wrong. No one calls a Brazilian an American

Because Mexico didn't take a name that originally belong to two (or one depending on your definition of a continent) continents because they were too lazy to come up with a real name.

>¡America is a continent, not a country!

>using a crappy ad-hominem when you're wrong

This was a pretty good argument. Here is your (you).

I say I'm american. Sometimes

Thats a nice president you got there

America is pretty relevant. Dont be so rought on yourself

The real Americans pull 95% of the weight for the rest of the continets

That's like saying that the only Africans are South Africans because their country is named after the continet

there's nothing wrong with calling yourself American, none should be triggered about that, but the new world is called America even before you country existed you fucking moron

this

>thinking I didn't know this

What a waste of your typewriter

cry more! more!

your tears are delicious!

Truly the best latin country! Keep it up!

well, russians dont call themselves asians either, yet theyre in asia. but most of the continent does call you estadounidense which is united statetian. common use, in this case majority as well, rules

if you dont like it you can pick others:

united staters

unistatians

unitedsters

But no one that matters calls us any of these

The song "America The Beautiful" or when someone posts Kermit with "Americans" on here doesn't include a smelly Favela living brown skin

That's because the official name of that country is the Russian Federation.

I, as an American, had no say in the process of the naming of my country. However, I will still use the prescribed demonym because it is sensible and in line with the same conventions I outlined earlier.

I've traveled quite extensively. I've been to seven or eight countries this year already. I've talked to a lot of people from around the world. I'll normally tell people I'm from "the United States" rather than "America." Regardless, I am usually referred to simply as an "American," no matter where I might be.

I think the only time I've ever had a person contend that "American" is an incorrect descriptor was in India. The person who disagreed with me was driving an auto-rickshaw and laid down a very basic argument, which I countered with that which I earlier wrote. He wound up agreeing with me.

I would be much more understanding of your argument if I had ever met a person from south of the border who ever introduced themselves as an "American." It's just never happened.

Rude and racist. Pls delete

Lol. Apparently you are retarded. "America", i.e., the United States of America was named first, and in fact nearly 80 years prior to the continents North America and South America even being named. The "map" originally drawn of "America" was only (approximately) what is now the U.S.A. and was created in 1507 by Martin Waldseemuller who labelled it "America" after Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian explorer who first theorized it was not Asia, but in fact a new continent. America (what is now the U.S.A.) was colonized in the early 1500's and originally called "the Colonies" or interchangeably, "America". It was not until almost 100 years later that South America even had any Europeans on it and it wasn't actually colonized to any significant extent (unless you count pure slavery for mining) until the mid-1800's. Further, "Canada" was not colonized significantly before the early 1800's (and even then hardly at all and just bordering the U.S.) and there was no "Canada" as a nation until 1867. "America" had always referred to what is now the U.S.A. and it was the South Americans that stole the same name (despite Vespucci not even knowing about it and in fact it was Spanish conquistadors who were responsible. South America was in fact called "Colombia" until only about 130 years ago.

Lol @ your analogy that China just up and names itself United States of Asia, as if to say the U.S.A. even named itself to begin with, let alone had the name "America" literally hundreds of years before other areas pilfered it.

The thing is "American" meaning "somebody from the new world" rarely has any useful meaning because Canadians have little in common with Brazilians.

Outside of Latin America, nobody says any of those. Ask somebody anywhere else in the world who an American is and they'll take it to refer to as somebody from The United States. In truth it has two meanings, but only one of them is widely used, and that means everything when it comes to terminology.

I'm: .

I was just in several Latin American countries less than two weeks ago. Regardless of what people might say among each other in Spanish, they still say "American" for residents of the United States when they're speaking in English.

>the United States of America was named first, and in fact nearly 80 years prior to the continents North America and South America even being named.
>The "map" originally drawn of "America" was created in 1507 by Martin Waldseemuller who labelled it "America" after Amerigo Vespucci
Something doesn't add up here, you burger for brains.

Wow I wonder if there are more words that have... meanings that change depending on the context? Is that possible?

we all are american because of the continent, that has factual basis. you can call yourself american due to country on no basis if you like, that does not cancel out the continents' name.. but ok go ahead. but its still america the continent, and im american when useful in context.

so if anything, its unitedstatians on shaky grounds here, and not due to your weight... thats it

Sure. If we went off that argument, then Russians, Armenians, Turks, and Saudis are all "Asians" as well.

Why would anyone want to be called American.

Well, "state" is supposed to mean a sovereign nation's government but burgerbrains used it for their own federal divisions to make them feel more special.
So state means both country and part of a country at the same time, which is as dumb as it gets. Just like this "america" deal.

I figured, but it's always latinos online who bring this up because for some reason they want to call themselves American.

Average amerifat, everyonw.

But they are

Yes?

>United States

How does this not make sense? The United States of America are parceled up into semi-autonomous divisions called states, all of which contribute to the national legislature and form the basis of the federal government.

Obviously they are. That ties back to the point earlier - nobody, besides perhaps Australians, identify more with their continent (which is only because the country is also the continent) than the identity prescribed by their citizenship or place of birth.

Actually, he's right. If you had half a brain you would know this, especially being Colombian. Apparently you are a retarded Colombian because every Colombian I know absolutely knows this and that South America used to entirely be called Colombia.

lmao everyone knows America is a continent but no one is going to call a Canadian, Brazzilian or Mexican an American.
Why people keep doing a fuzz about this.

I just pointed out the most blatant bullshit which was him saying that USA had the name first and sinking his lie right away saying that the continent was named centuries before.

I even ignored the whole bullshit about the brits being the first ones to colonize and that south america "wasn't colonized until mid-1800's", which is absolutely ludicrous, taking into account we became fucking independent in 1819.
Right my ass.

Way to miss the point, dipshit.

>no one is going to call a Canadian, Brazzilian or Mexican an American.
That's not the point. No one should be called american unless it's a continent-wide generalization. Not even the gringos.
It's not that we want to be called "americans", we want them to stop calling themselves americans and get a proper demonym because it's a travesty of the word.

>we want them to stop calling themselves americans and get a proper demonym because it's a travesty of the word
Not gonna happen.
I already call Japs and Korean "chinos".
Who cares

>I already call Japs and Korean "chinos".
That's because you're an ignorant piece of shit. Nothing to do with their countries lacking proper names and demonyms like the case at hand.

congolombiANO pls

ayy ya cállate negro
This is a bait thread, everyone will keep calling them Americans.

You're a fat american.
The whole continent is called "The Americas"
We're all americani or invent a new demonym for the entire island.

And all of the Spanish equivalents sound piss-poor in English. Call yourselves whatever you want, but we're not changing anything.

I guess you are retarded. And you are bad at math. He said "early 1500's", then he said "unless you count slavery". When you say it was 1819, you apparently don't even know your own country. It was 1810. Oh, and by the way, that was merely "independence" (from what was essentially slavery) by foreign control over the locals. You dimwitted fuck, you just proved his point. I'll be you still don't get it.

Let's go slow:
"America" referred only to what is now the U.S.A. since at least as early as 1507. "America" referred to only ONE continent. Did you get that part? ONE! There was NO "South America" at all on a map, known, nor certainly "named" South America. It didn't exist as even a term until hundreds of years later. South America was called "Colombia" and despite the fact that you are Colombian, you don't even know that (or your own independence day, or the fact that you were slaves before that--and yeah, it was the mid-1800's; though one could call that early 1800's too and not be wrong). In any event, he is pointing out literally a 300+ year difference in the existence of the name and what it referred to (what is the U.S.A.).

He also said America (U.S.A.) did not name itself. That is also true. But you ignore that and that was exactly what he was responding to in your stupid comment about it being like China just decides to change its name to the United States of Asia.

You make no fucking sense and are evidently very slow. You might also want to go look up your nations history, or for that matter, maybe thank the U.S. for freeing your nation from the drug overlords that ruled it and murdered all your politicians for almost 30 years.

Dumbass ingrate.

Your point was fucking stupid. India has union territories as well as states. Why are you trying to teach native speakers English when your grasp of the language is terrible?

>"America" referred only to what is now the U.S.A. since at least as early as 1507. "America" referred to only ONE continent. Did you get that part? ONE! There was NO "South America" at all on a map, known, nor certainly "named" South America.
Also check this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas#Etymology_and_naming
The earliest known use of the name America dates to 1507, where it was applied to what is now known as South America.[39] The scholarly consensus is that the name was derived from Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci.[40]

los mapitas

This.

How come "Americans" have so much trouble with history and logic?

I like the following:

Dumbfuckinstan.
Burgerland.
Yanquee.
Gringo.

I like To call americans, burgers.

Really?
Like, really really really?
And only my post? When the whole thread is like this?

>American "educación"

>belong to a state with a strong independent identity so I can be something other than just "American" (i.e the store brand New Worlder)

I'd feel cheated if I were in the other 49.

My favorite Sup Forums picture of all time.

Yes some do. Not many. But some.

All peoples of the Americas are American. It is only a product of popular media and semantics that have made people of the USA be called "Americans".

Same. Texan first, then American.

I kind of agree with you, for me personally I don't mind people from the USA calling themselves "Americans" as long as they don't try and exclude all of the other people living in this continent fro that demonym.
Of course anyway, in Spanish and I'm supposing in Portuguese also, we call them the equivalent of "united statestian" (I don't know if that's a real word in English though), so you should mind that more of half the continent doesn't call you "American".

We call Americans (United States of America citizens) the same way we call Mexicans (United States of Mexico).

Right.
That proves you are wrong.
Are you seriously retarded, or what?

MFW there's more niggers in USA than in Argentina

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci
You do all realize you're fighting over the name of some Italian guy, right?

Actually Portuguese call Americans "Americans" (americano). It isn't wrong referring as United stadian (estado unidense), just not as common.

Of course, I also call Americans "Americans", but, how do you call people from the USA?

Lol.
You ARE literally retarded.
Yet again, for the now third time in this thread you have posted something that literally disproved what you were saying and proved what the other person was saying was correct.

Pretty much this Does anybody in the world actually give a fuck about anything that happens in South America? Honestly, no one cares, no one pays attention, they're all pretty dirt poor (except Argentina and Chile) and running around like the third world countries they are.

It's hysterical some Colombian faggot gets on here and gets the shit kicked out of him and is publicly embarrassed. How fucking stupid are Colombians?

Are you seriously fucking retarded? Do you read what you're writing, you down syndrome piece of shit?

It's a bait thread, ignore these retards

reminder that aussies are technically chinks

Chill out mah man

lol united statetians are such faggots

Native americans are technically chinks, too.

That's why we murdered them all

stop spreading this lie, we dindu nothing

You do know that America (Amerigo) is just the name of some old italian dude who lived +500 years ago? Why are you arguing over this shit?

Che flaco calmate que ya lo dije yo eso

post more native americans

>Finngolian blood awakens at the sight of his distant cousins

>race is not a social construct

Fucking Colombians think they run shit because their women are sexy senpai.

Perfect

yeah but i'm afraid my children would look like beaners

better than genghis senpai

Wherein Some Burger Who's Never Left His Home State Attempts to School the World on Geography

Just call it Northern Mexico. Problem solved.

Don't worry.

The way things go, you'll join our irrelevancy.

Canadians are honorary Americans