I'm thinking about learning swift on linux. However only if it can be compiled and installed on x86. If this works out...

I'm thinking about learning swift on linux. However only if it can be compiled and installed on x86. If this works out, I'll go straight to GUI programming. Since Apple didn't include their GUI shit, I'll probably try to somehow get it to work with GTK, EFL or FTLK.

If you wonder why, I learned BASIC in school and the Syntax of Swift is kind of similar for what I have seen. Because BASIC was so simple, I could never get motivated for C or C++.

Well,.... that's how it is.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/PureSwift/Cacao
blog.udacity.com/2017/06/server-side-swift-with-ibm.html
developer.ibm.com/swift/
www-01.ibm.com/marketing/iwm/dre/signup?source=mrs-form-10468&S_PKG=ov55459
computerworld.com/article/3122994/apple-mac/ibm-says-swift-is-now-ready-for-the-enterprise.html
news.realm.io/news/tryswift-chris-robert-end-to-end-application-development-swift-backend/
slideshare.net/cnbailey/tryswift-nyc-end-to-end-application-development-in-swift
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/which-programs-are-fastest.html
spark.apache.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Swift is pretty much a vendor lock in dev environment. Swift does not work with anything but Cocoa

May I ask what kind of application do you want to build?

>only cocoa
Found this: github.com/PureSwift/Cacao No Idea how useable this is as I didn't even get started yet.

>what application
I roughly want to get some kind of window or DialogBox somehow on screen. Modifing shape and size if possible. If this works, I go to some kind of Button that do something, anything. After that I want to load pictures and text and try to layer them somehow. If I passed all that I good to go for a little RPG in classic Dungeon Crawler style and learn the language for real by implementing game mechanics.

It is shit. Honestly, learn LUA or something instead.

>I'm thinking about learning swift on linux. However only if it can be compiled and installed on x86. If this works out, I'll go straight to GUI programming. Since Apple didn't include their GUI shit, I'll probably try to somehow get it to work with GTK, EFL or FTLK.
I'm using it with SwftGTK but there's other GUI libs as well for Linux.

I got into Swift simply because the many was too good to pass up. I was talking to a recruiter and he suggested Swift to me about a year ago because he was constantly being asked for people with Swift and salaries were $110k plus to start. I basically jumped on it.

I took the Stanford Swift course (free btw) and I read the Swift book. IBM has tons of Swift resources too for Linux etc.

ANyway, just fucking learn it... language is probably the best language ATM and job prospects couldn't be any better for the future.

Swift programmer here, I'm making a simple space shooter game and I can tell you that Swift is awesome. Very clean, but I don't think I would go through all the trouble of setting it up on Linux, since all the magic comes from Xcode + Cocoa + Swift.

I would just make a hackintosh or buy a Mac, it's perfected for MacOS.

Good luck user!

Not OP. What's the de-facto book for a linuxfag looking to learn swift4?

OP here, for unreleased version 4 it's probably in source Documentation.

Apple has a new amazing (and free) Swift 4 book that starts from fucking nothing and teaches you Swift to intermediate/master level. You can master it in a week or two if you work on it. For Linux, you can read various IBM blog posts or just use the examples from SwiftGTK or PureSwift. It's not hard. Creating a window, reusing GTK UI libs etc... it's fairly straight forward.

I don't think there is even one. *That's* how popular Swift is on Linux.

It's also almost generally how popular Swift is outside of Apple's ecosystem.

Dunno why you would want to learn swift unless you were making apps for the Apple Ecosystem.

nigga pls. github is full of server-side swift projects.

anyway, some resources:

IBM's Swift course for Linux:
blog.udacity.com/2017/06/server-side-swift-with-ibm.html

IBM's Swift page
developer.ibm.com/swift/

Free book from O'Reilly and IBM
www-01.ibm.com/marketing/iwm/dre/signup?source=mrs-form-10468&S_PKG=ov55459

IBM explains why Swift
computerworld.com/article/3122994/apple-mac/ibm-says-swift-is-now-ready-for-the-enterprise.html

Video on Swift for servers
news.realm.io/news/tryswift-chris-robert-end-to-end-application-development-swift-backend/
slides
slideshare.net/cnbailey/tryswift-nyc-end-to-end-application-development-in-swift

Swift is slower than Java my dude
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/which-programs-are-fastest.html

>Swift is slower than Java my dude
You're retarded. You can't even read graphs. Also, show me the memory usage and optimization options.
You'll never get Java to run faster than Swift.

> github is full of server-side swift projects
I just checked.

There is realm, vapor, fluent ... and you're already basically done with the frameworks that seem to have an user base worth mentioning.

This is a fourth rate language for server-side programming.

> vm code is faster than machine code
> IBM is lying!
the state of Sup Forums

You're the one who didn't read the guild top kek
>You can see that the order would be different if it was based on the median scores instead of the [pdf] geometric mean scores.
Further left = faster speeds. Swift has a faster median speed score yes, but its mean score is slower

guide*

>This is a fourth rate language for server-side programming.
yet it's one of the fastest rising and offers end-to-end development for the dominant enterprise mobile platform.

> You'll never get Java to run faster than Swift.
spark.apache.org/

>left
What left, when chart is a vertical graph type? Fucking leftists everywhere spreading their shit! Just Gulag yourselves already!

The guide literally implies "order matters"
i.e., from left to right, fastest to slowest.
Fucking inbred racist cuck, no wonder you can't read graphs. You're a low IQ rural retard

> fastest rising
According to a micro-sample in some kind of random market? Or some ridiculous mixed rating thing like TIOBE?

I'm sure in a bunch of these that's possible, but it's well below the "worth caring about" threshold outside the Apple ecosystem.

> the dominant enterprise mobile platform
Eh? It's not even popular at all on Android.

you seem "triggered"

>Android
>enterprise
kek'd hard

Absolutely.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yep. You can re-label all you want. Companies and government entities generally issue Android phones.

The US president (voted into office partly for being a businessman) did also have an Android, right?

>Companies and government entities generally issue Android phones.
LMAO... your pajeetness shows through. What 3rd world shit hole are you from? Niger? Somalia?