Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uxkOL0mUvaU&t=38s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

E8400 reporting in

>Using a deprecated platform

welcome to the club fela

I'm thinking of getting a q9550 with a gtx 750 ti for 100$

GTFO Kido

>implying that there's much difference between a Core 2 Duo and a Sandy Processor

i really miss those old, exposed, copper heatsinks. now its either just aluminium blocks covered by some gay shield, painted aluminium blocks, or nickel covered copper if copper is used at all.

There are people that fanboy for LGA 775? Probably one of the worse sockets next to 370 that Intel has ever released. The chipsets ranged from garbage to meh.

I really miss motherboards that used mega heatsinks on Northbridges and VRMs.

yorkfield to nehalem was 30% average. nehalem to sandy was anywhere from 15 - 25%. depending on clock speed. clock for clock sandy was about 15% faster.

so something like a q9450 to a 2500k would be at least 45% - 55% faster.

x5470 master race

yeah me too, i mean...loock at this!

>finally gave up being cheap 775 scummer, and bought new socket with low end i3
>less heat, runs better, upgradable/actual future instead of hunting for used, overpriced, slow parts

Is there another set of 1151 chips coming out?

>being a faggot
Enjoy your botnet.

You have to be underage with a comment like.

I'm more of a chmod 777 myself

intel never release +2 cpus on same socket. they need to milk money

another e8400 destitute fag reportan. going to get a mcjob and save for ryzen rig soon. she served me well for a decade.

overclocked q8200 on an asrock p5b-pro and 8gb of ram reporting in

X9650 reporting in

Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP

E8400, 660 TI, and 8 gigs of DDR2 here.

2007. Brand-new, she was. She had the smell of a brand-new computer. That's just about the finest smell in the world...except maybe for pussy.

I let my bro have my 10 year old e2200 rig couple months back, its his main pc lol. Tough little cpus dem intel dual cores

My secondary home server runs dual x5482's or x5472's, I can't remember which. It's a nice little machine

I'm still using AM2+, will only trash my phenom when it dies out

no pcie3
no sata3

My core 2 lasted 5+ years with 24/7 uptime and a 30% permanent overclock (on base voltage!), and I loved it, but it was just not fast enough 2-3 years into its life. cheap-ass Phenoms were beating it left and right.

My current 3570k overclocks like absolute shit sadly, but I never needed more speed than what it could do at base clock. I ended up undervolting it instead (can't even hit 4.2GHz without voltage bumps, worthless).

I don't know if I'll switch anytime soon, but I'm hoping I can get a half decent Zen 2 next. But before that, I need a new videocard anyway, my 6970 is 7 years old (and still doing great even in newer games!).

I'm like this guy, Phenom II for life! I got a spare motherboard/ram/& cpu stashed away just in case.

Q6600 reporting in, since 2008 and still going strong. I need a new/used 775 mobo. Two of my ram slots fried probably from a storm, or age.

e8500 =)
with 4 slots of ddr3 =))
hp motherboard =|||

jesus christ how do you get by with that?

linux?

Do you have C-states turned off completely?

My first 775:

I was a AMD man, I had ran socket 939 from 2005 to late 2009 when I finally upgraded to AM2+. Had a phenom2 x4 965 running 4.1ghz on a huge water setup.
Took a trip to visit family for a couple months early 2010 and didn't bring the pc.. So I bought some hw cheap used locally.

It was a e7500 dualcore and a p45 board. I overclocked it to 4ghz on air, and it fucking smoked my quadcore phenom2. I was amazed, a cheap fucking dualcore ran games better than my "top end" quadcore.. Thats when I knew AMD was in the shitter.

When I got home I sold my AMD stuff and got a 1366 rig.

Haven't touched AMD until now with Zen, but thats on hold until it gets more matured.

Used 775 in my server/backup gamer with a qx9650 @ 4ghz on air until sometime in 2013 when I upgraded to p55.

Pic is the day I disassembled it.

Did run 775 in my guest pc tho up until recently, newer multiplayer games like bf4 etc don't run that well, but singleplayer games and lighter mp still run great.

I am still on a Q6600 but I ordered the stuff for a 1600 build.

Being completely honest, the Q6600 works fine for basic office use and even in older games. I sort of feel bad for upgrading considering I may not really need it though when I start doing more complex development, a faster processor and SSD will be helpful.

> My current 3570k overclocks like absolute shit sadly
Dude same. Upgraded to 7700K like last week.

This is a cool build. 1156 though.
youtube.com/watch?v=uxkOL0mUvaU&t=38s

Currently posting on dell 775 prebuilt that I just shoved a Xeon E5320 into is that close enough?

>bought low end i3
next time come in /pcbg/ instead of wasting your money

TFW old 1155 mobo and looking at those Ali Xeons. Life is suffering

i miss having ide floppys fuck this gay earth

Because back then mem controllers wasn't build in processors. These parts with heatsinks are awfully hot as fuck and often not durable which is why 775 boards and 939 boards fucks up after 3 years. I still have my old dead nforce4 sli chipset with after market copper cooler.

Good that these are the past times.

I keep thinking of making a build with my x58 board and i7 950. Just not sure what I can do with it.

ayy got same mb as op's pic.

>q6600 3.5ghz air
>hnng
>40c load with the bigger than in op's pic intel stock cooler with copper

I use x58 today actually.

The longevity of that platform is insane, a 6core 1366 cpu overclocked to 4.3 - 4.4ghz about equals a i7 5820k 6core for x99.

The xeons have 36 pcie lanes, so you can thow pretty much any card in and still have 16x for the gpu.

If you got a newer i7 setup you mainly use, I cant say there is a reason to go back to x58. And if you dont really have any use for it (pretty wastefull as a file server), sell it.
The x58 boards are running short these days and you can get a pretty decent price for it. The 920 ain't worth shit, just include it as socket protection.

A 1366 xeon 6core that overclocks to 4.2ghz+ goes on ebay for $20-40, and being able to match todays HEDT platforms, thats pretty amazing.

I got a i7 950 to go with it, rally don't want to sell it since it has sentimental value

what is your current main rig? And what x58 board is it?

Local computer shop closed, and they had a bunch of free shit available for grabs, one of them being a full on LGA 775 combo. Got the board (P5Q Pro Turbo), CPU (Q8200), and 5GB of DDR2 for free, along with a bunch of GPUs.

Except for the PSU, case and the Xigmatek heatsink, I got everything in in this image for free.

E5200 reporting in

ASUS P5QL Pro

And i figure that since posted his X58 rig, i might as well post mine as well.

I lucked out enormously with the board. New in box (anti-static bag still had the original unbroken seal) for $30.

Yea, I kinda wish I had kept mine instead of upgrading currently. I swapped out for a 6700k last year, but it didn't even seem like an upgrade after all was said and done.

q9550 reporting in

>a 6core 1366 cpu overclocked to 4.3 - 4.4ghz about equals a i7 5820k 6core for x99.
[doubt]

>tfw my dell x58 board doesn't support the X5650

baka desu senpai

What benchmark is this? The Xeon gets stomped on Passmark

>userbenchmark

Kill yourself, you stupid nigger.

>I don't understand CPU clocks, the post.
Passmark only tests stock clocks m8, the argument is that an OC x5650 matches a stock 5820K, which it does.

Off yourself, subhuman.

Still running 775 on my home server and had used it for ~3 years as daily PC before I upgraded. Same socket, different mobo.

>matches
>scores 5% lower even with the overclock

Really made me think. Enjoy your power consumption.

E7200 here, about to switch to a Xeon E5450 as soon as I can attach these heathsinks to the VRMs because the mobo is rated for a 65w TDP proc

>X58 & X5675
Kicked my i7 930 to the curb. Feels great.

>P35 & E5450
Small, quiet, just werks

>680i & E8400
680i is such a piece of shit

>EP45T & X5460
Just assembled, working great with DDR3, tuning up the OC

They're not the hottest things on the block, but they all work really well.

>t. mad 5820k owner

Is it that Intel brand board? I've also seen them cheaper once in a blue moon, but NIB for $30 is a fucking steal! Can you overclock with it?
If yes, what oc you running?

They do, a stock 5820k that is. Just like illustrate quite clear here.

What x58 board you got there, senpai? and overclock?

wolfdalefag here, how much of a performance boost can I expect out of a 1050ti over my current 9800gtx+ would I just be wasting money?

What motherboard you got?

A 1050ti will be a major upgrade, and even better if you get a quadcore cpu with it and overclock, they're pretty cheap now on ebay etc.

intel dg41rq

I guess overclocking is out the window then, but you could get a q9450.

How much ram dou you have?

Yeah, I considered upgrading, but with each subsequent generation only being 5% better (and even that due to the increased clockspeeds), I just don't feel the need for wasting a ton of money for performance increase I wouldn't see anyway. My setup is videocard limited anyway right now.

Only reasons I'd need to upgrade mobo/cpu would be either NVMe or getting more than 4 cores. And with that in mind I'd rather go for Zen instead.

Yes, its a DX58SO, this particular board is dated to 2009 (bios has a no keyboard warning from May 8th 2009 at 5:58 AM local time) so its a board that was built less than 6 months after Core launched, and spent the entire time from then to October last year in a box.

As for overclocking, its not the best, but I still managed to get pretty much every CPU I've put on it up to 4ghz, including the W3670 that currently calls it home, although the first two i7s I had on it (920 for initial startup and testing, 930 for that D0 stepping goodness which I got robbed of.) were housefires at that speed. I got tired of the heat, had $15 in my paypal, bought a pair of E5640s, binned them, and put the better one in until I acquired the hex core.

As it stands right now, I'm running a fairly modest overclock of ~4ghz (191x21), but the board itself will go right up 221mhz before the QPI link speed can no longer handle it (its at 7956MT/s at that speed). Right now I'm limited in 3 ways:

1. Heat. The H50 does an admirable job for its age, but its old as hell and its not helped by the fact its mounted in front of the case's only major exhaust.

2. Power supply. The Antec Earthwatts unit I have in there now is also showing its age, and under full load the motherboard sensors register a fairly significant voltage sag of nearly 5%, which is right up to the edge of the ATX spec.

3. The board itself. Intel clearly designed this board with being more of a server unit in mind vs overclocking what with the way the socket, dimms, and chipset are all oriented. They also didn't put much in the way of fine tuning settings in the bios (even the latest version).

4gb

Heres my main power beast dragon, still going strong, ran Witcher 3 on medium settings and console-grade fps. Planning to upgrade when it dies, still fails to do so.

Could probably stand to at least get a 45nm quad for it.

Sweet Jesus just get the g4560 already, shits cheap as.

Well thats not too bad, 4ghz is probably stable on 1.2-1.25v. Actually it may be the psu holding you back also like you said, unstable voltage can make your whole system unstable.

It won't be enough with alot of newer games, I think I whould skip upgrading the cpu and try finding a cheap i7 system instead or something if gaming is what you're looking to do. Your motherboard only have 2 ram slots, so you are limited to 4gb anyway.

>cheap as

Yeah, and then add the cost of the new motherboard and DDR4 (which is through the roof right now).

What is your CPU cooler? I got my X5675 yesterday, and want to OC. Currently sitting on a Hyper 212X since it's what I had kicking around, but I could splash out on something better.

I unironically still have a E6400 at my parents house doing nothing. Tried installing mint and it broke directly.

Check eBay, not sure where you're located but I got a decent b250 mobo for 40£ and lpx 8gb DDR 2400 for 35£, not too bad imo.

The X5675 is plugged into a P6T (standard model) and currently running at 4.2GHz. It'll go up to 4.6 on air, but it gets a little warmer than I care for in the summer. Maybe I'll crank it up in the late fall. It was such a massive improvement over the i7 930, with a 600MHz increase on top of the two extra cores.

Even something like an old HD5870 will blow that thing out of the water. The 8800/9800 are pretty sadly antique. You can probably get a midrange Kepler for pocket change. They weren't used in mining from what I recall, so the used ones won't have been ridden into the ground like a HD7000 card.

It's not really that strange. Overclocked Harpertown can catch up to stock Nehalem, but suffers a penalty on HT and die-switching on threads. Nehalem overclock can catch up to stock Sandy/Ivy, but suffers on heat/power and instruction sets.

It's not really that strange that Westmere-EP, a modified Nehalem, can catch up to the 5820K, but again suffers on instructions, power, and heat.

No one in their right mind will advise building a fresh X58 system. If you already have the hardware though, it's just a matter of making it go the extra mile.

I'm thinking about staying on this until Ryzen+ or 2 or whatever they want to call it.

I'm more of a 1366 guy myself.

Core 2 quad Q6600 used for media center in the living room.

>intel stock cooler

Damn same boat, except I purchased a 970 a while back. With my overclock my CPU benches in at around 4-5% lower than my friends newer i7, kaby lake I think. The "improvements" on intels lineup since sandybridge is overall pretty pathetic. Definitely going amd next time, just not sure when I actually will need to upgrade

The early LGA 775 stock coolers were actually very hefty pieces of work. The good ones have solid copper slugs as their core and got the job done well.

It was only with the low end 45nm LGA stuff that they started on the super ridiculously cheap heatsinks, and it simply spread upwards and infected everything.

What are you talking about?

Native pussy smells like fish

I was running a Q9400 overclocked to 3.8 GHz 24/7 on this amazing motherboard right until it started not wanting to overclock at all in mid 2015, and then at stock speeds until it finally gave up in mid 2016 as a router and home server.
I'm sad there isn't a single modern board like it with 10 SATA ports, 4 gigabit LAN ports, loads of PCI-e, and 10 USB ports onboard not counting the front panel headers.

i havent done anything to them yet but plan to in the near future

On the HEDT intel platforms there have been some of those "everything included" boards every gen.. Not as much in the mainstream platforms tho.

I had a P6T-SE as my first x58 board, loved it but it had some coilwhine under heavy loads. Got the Rampage 3 cheap with fullcover water so switched it out.

4.6ghz? That cant be prime stable on air?

I did buy a ryzen setup, but had some memory issues and lack of oc settings for my board.. Bios updates will fix it with time, so keeping the board (cheap ass AB350M Pro4, pic related) but selling the 1700. Gonna get a better overclocker later on when things have matured a bit.

For mow I'm running the x58, more power than I'll need for years anyway.

I've got a 4-card RX480 mining rig running on this platform. 580W consumption.

It was my old gaming PC and I thought I might as well re-use it since efficiency doesn't matter in mining right now.

I got it stable thanks to the high airflow in my case, but the voltage and temperatures were just below the overheat threshold. I believe that it would've caused the board or chip to suffer degradation within a year. I'm not sure when I'll build a new tower, so I dialed it back to 4.2GHz where it seems to be pretty comforable and is well below all of the voltage and temperature limits.

I considered going for 4.4, which seemed like the "wall" where the requirements and heat ramped up, but 200MHz isn't a big enough deal to me.

Nope, Windows 10 E LTSB N. It's not my main machine either. Runs fine with 2gb of ram. Mostly use it as an audio workstation and a streaming box.

I have my e5649 @ 4.3ghz currently actually, not 4.4ghz like in the pic. 220 bclk wasn't entirely stable so had to back it down to 215.. I'm not 100% on what the problem is, have a couple tricks left to try, but starting to think the cpu don't like the bclk. Its a Rampage 3 Extreme, one whould think it should beg for bclk :P

I'll test with a friends x5650 in a few weeks if I'll even bother. 4.3ghz is plenty fast, may just run it there and see how low the voltage can go instead.

I agree, 4.4ghz seems like the sweetspot for most of these, my old x5650 (sold) and my friends both had to bump the voltage harder for every step over that. Not really worth it.

4.4 does seem to be the top end of the sweet spot. Kind of like 3.8GHz for the old 775's. Many will do more than that, but the voltage and temperatures over 4.0GHz start becoming a bit of a problem.

Plus, with the separate northbridge, the 775 systems tend to suffer for having more off-die components to fine tune. I generally just go for a 400MHz FSB on the 775 systems to relieve the bottleneck that they suffer at 333MHz, and call it there.

My old e7500 did 4ghz without too much hassle on a pretty shitty aircooler, but the q9450 I upgraded to was a BITCH to get up there, even on water. It did, but I went back to 3.6 or 3.7ghz just to get the vrm and nb temps down to where I didn't need a fan over them.

Dat 500mhz fsb :P

Always wanted a P5E64 Evolution, they had no problems with quads upwards of 600mhz. Never got one tho, prices were insane even after 1366/1156 was out.

Q9450 wont go too high because of the FSB limitations. I know, I owned one, tried going there, got my shit slapped for it. Highest I ever got it even unstable was 4ghz, and shortly after getting it validated the system crashed. CPU-Z related.

Later I got my hands on an X6800 and it went to 500mhz FSB almost laughably easily.

Most of the 45nm dual core wolfdale chips were good for 4ghz+, so long as you kept them cool. Hell, I took a 45nm E5300 to 4.5ghz that way, and that sumbitch was stable too.

The duals were always so much easier to get up high than the quads. Considering those early quads were two dual dies strapped together onto the PCB, it's not really that surprising. It took a lot of fine tuning to get the P35 + E5450 stable while at reasonable voltage.

Didn't help that the VRM setup on that thing was pretty weak.

>1.456V
Disco Inferno! Very impressive, nonetheless. I've never had any of my 775 boards hit 500 FSB and be stable. The only one that would do it easily...was hit by lightning. Or rather, lightning struck about 20 feet away and shit happened.

Me

My DFI DK P45 did 500 with the q9450 stable, but that shit got too hot for my liking.

A friends DFI UT X48 had some kind of wierd limit on his, whouldn't boot over 3.4ghz or something with his q9450. No idea what the problem was.

Btw, did any of you try the "s" variants of the q9x50 line? If so, how did they differ in overclocking?

Nope, never had the chance to get one before I sold the P5Q-E and Q9400 i had as a combo.

And now here I am stuck with a P5Q Pro turbo and a fucking Q8200.

Not as a main machine but I still got bunch of 775 machines in use and my servers are 771.

I miss having simple, effective copper cooling on the MB components instead of this shitty designer "armor plating" on modern consumer boards.

I know, eye of the beholder and all that...