Steam... Wheres the network security at?

Steam... Wheres the network security at?
Also, fuck comcast.

Other urls found in this thread:

corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/updated-management-of-smtp-port-25
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Did this actually happen to you?

That's only happening because you're poor. Comcast doesn't do that in richville.
Thank Republicans for giving them the security to fuck you over in the name of "consumer choice."

holy shit dont get me started on comcast.

I just switched from AT&T to comcast about 2 months ago w/ contract.

As soon as my comcast service started my home email server and web server went down.

Comcast filters all in/out port 25 and all incoming port 85 for residential customers.

Their website says port 25 and 80 are blocked to stop spammers but you can enable them by request:
>corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/updated-management-of-smtp-port-25

I called the number provided

They will enable by request. Or more specifically, if you request that your account be upgraded to business class where your bill triples, then they will allow you to have a home email or web server

pisses me off. nothing I do is commerical, im a freaking uni student and I like to do IT projects to put on a resume

why is comcast even allowed to inject packets into your tcp streams to tell you this shit

Consumer choice, bro. Another ISP will be along in minutes to give you the same speeds for the same price but with ports 25 and 85 open! The people on Fox News said they would!

yeah, and they are pretty spam it at you.
it will auto inject into all http websites with a random chance generator to make the message popup.

Would changing your dns or router stop this?

>Comcast filters all in/out port 25 and all incoming port 85 for residential customers.

I thought literally every single consumer ISP did this. Surprised AT&T didn't.

Nope, tried different DNS providers and still getting hammered. vpn only way to get freedom.

Blames the right because he's a brain dead nigger who wants free gibs

because you agree to their terms when you signed up for their service, idiot

Block them at router level, pleb.

Well, that WOULD happen if cucked liberal cities would stop signing monopoly agreements with these ISP's.

You are aware that they inject it into the request right? you can block the images but the javascript still gets a ride in.

Use a different port then. Fuck the SMTP police.

Use https.

hi Raymond

>meme meme meme meme meme meme meme

I have never heard of a single residential ISP allowing servers of any kind in their ToS. I imagine some are don't care enough to block ports, but most do and it shouldn't surprise you.

I work in web hosting and I can 100% confirm that port 25 is used by spammers and they should be blocking it. spammers dont want to spend that much for """business""" class just to enable port 25. use another fucking port dude

oops.
ment for

>Steam... Wheres the network security at?
>security
>for delivering a game EULA

I strongly believe that all network connections to any program with expected security should be secured from hijacking or injections.

That is active javascript on a webpage prompted by steam. For a billionaire dollar company running software on metric shit ton of computers, I expect tight security.

this is like complaining that your manager has the key to your apartment and change the lock because you didnt pay. your ISP controls your data, they can inject shit anywhere this isnt steam's fault your moron

anyone on Sup Forums who voted for Trump is a dumbass

I find that a bad example. most people have wifi and a lot of wifi connections are not as secure as they should be.

Someone gaining access to a local network normally has the ability to login to an unsecured router and set the dns to what ever they like. That leads into any program requesting network access to an unverified host has a possible exploit opportunity.

I very strongly believe pretty much all network connections until proven secure should be deemed a threat to the operation of a device.

While this is a very small security hole, its still a hole to be filled.

They can't inject it on SSL connections because it is secured between you and the server.

>run a VPN in amazon ec2
>never get detected as a VPN
>never get packet injection shit like this
>never gives out your true IP
>costs pennies
why aren't you doing this Sup Forums

Well don't use fucking 1T in data then? It's not hard.

If you use https everywhere their packet injection bullshit should be impossible

if valve detects users run windows xp (even supported embedded variants) they send them an outdated CEF for web browsing, exploits galore

valve dont care

It's been known that Valve doesn't care about security. Steam is borderline malware.
Why do you keep giving them money?

>anglos don't have infinite internet access

lmao

>muh boogeyman repubs

Comcasts 1TiB data cap started during Obama's term.

It is the result of a free market.
They chose to enact a data cap which other companies can compete for.

>REE THAT'S BAD!
Mobile ISPs have been doing it since 2G>

Comcast is a private company.
You aren't being forced to use them.

Also don't use their dns or only use https.
(they used a MITM on you)

I just dont get why ISPs use caped data? Why I cannot be unlimited?

Sorry sweetie, but internet access is a basic human right, and when you live in an area where comcast is the only ISP, you are being forced to use them.

Or move to another part of the country, of course.

>You aren't being forced to use them.
In many cases, you are.
And no, "not using the internet" is no longer a valid argument. It's a requirement for modern day living and most occupations.

>blame republicans
>comcast/MSNBC one of the most liberal media megacorporations on the planet

>and when you live in an area where comcast is the only ISP, you are being forced to use them.

America, the land of Freedom (TM)

he uses ABP still, he's basically retarded

Because they want money.

>tfw unlimited internet at 1Gb/s for free
>tfw unlimited phone calls, text messages and 4G internet for 5€/month
gotta love working for a telecom company in eastern europe

>internet access is a basic human right
Sorry sweetie, it isn't.

>You've used 1398 GB
How?

>trusting a company that can't even afford the domain "steam.com"

With video games that is very easy

>You will be charged 10$ for every 50GB of extra data downloaded
Good goy, download all of your chink cartoons and use our "courtesy" offer.

GTAV is 80GB
To reach 1024GB you'd have to download GTAV more than 12 times
Main story is 30 hours, assuming you play 5 hours a day (a lot if you have a job) that's 6 days to beat it
Even assuming you delete GTAV and then re-download it and play it through you'd still only download it 5 times in a month
Stop compulsively downloading games

>>comcast/MSNBC one of the most liberal media megacorporations on the planet

>he thinks what the megacorporation is pushing PR wise has any bearing on their actual policy desire

brainlet detected

just put your server in the """cloud"""

all your problems go away

TFW you live in a 2nd world country with no data cap and no blocked ports.

>just signed myself up for a bunch of Comcast ahit

Oh shit, am I fucked Sup Forums?

Did you sign a contract? If so, you have 30 days to cancel. Just make sure that they don't try to bill you for shit. They add all kinds of bogus charges and don't always honor requests for credit during cancellation.

haha americucks

Is that in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?

Land of freedom

I got Comcast, I pay like 70 a month for this and some sort of cable plan. It was cheaper to buy internet with TV then just internet alone. I also live in a no cap area, if they roll out a cap i'm not sure what i'll do because the only other option is DSL

>data plan
can 3rd world shitters fuck off from Sup Forums

I bet you vote Rebuplicans.

HTTPS Everywhere doesn't force HTTPS on every site, you goddamn moron. It merely forces you onto the HTTPS version of a site IF one exists, based on the extension's internal whitelist.

>It is the result of a free market.
>They chose to enact a data cap which other companies can compete for.
Except there is no competition in isp

WOW Jesus christ I spend 50 dollars for 25down 10 up and it never gets that much at all ever

Reminder that it was clinton that passed NAFTA and gutted welfare (for the poor), and it was obama that spent like 1.5 trillion dollars on the rich just because. (Although this is unfair- the rich had already stolen 1.5 trillion dollars, and the bailout was to set the record straight)

And I thought Spectrum was bad!

It's the only reason i can play my windows games on linux. chrome saandbox crashes the store and anything else rendered through it if steam isn't set to xp mode.

I feel like this connection has ruined me for life. I don't understand internet issues or buffering video. I never had my internet go out either. Shit is great

Now you know better to switch to shitcast even if they were cheaper at the time.

I have Spectrum in Dallas. Latency is constantly high, paying for 50 for 30 up, got 0.03 and a 0.002 up last night.

Constantly goes down. But it's all that's available at my house.

>americans
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

Wait, data caps are still a thing in 2017? I pay 30 bongs for unlimited Internet and phone calls.

As a European, these threads always sound unreal for me. Limited data usage, code injection into your traffic, blocking ports... You Americans have basically zero freedom.

What is your definition of freedom?

reddit= Sup Forums. All of Sup Forums hottest opinions and memes come from reddit. Please stop fueling interest in these fags.

Freedom to utilize a service without being restricted in many ways and being spied on. You only have an illusion of freedom because your rights are taken away to "protect you from terrorists" and "ensure free market". It's also worrying that your government wants to repeal net neutrality.

While we're on the topic of Comcast, could someone tell me if Comcast allows two routers on their service? I have coax running to every room in the house and would like to take advantage of it. Running cat5 would be a huge pain in the ass due to construction.

Sounds like you define freedom as protectionism. I've never understood why europeans get so hung up on how we choose to regulate. Remember that european powers are spying "for your protection" too. What do you think the snooper's charter was about?

Reminder that the democrats are economically a right wing party now.

>monthly bandwidth caps
Eurofag here, are ISPs in the US that fucking greedy to impose monthly caps on fucking landline connections?

It's only the largest ISPs in certain areas. For some people, they're screwed. For others, there's usually another (smaller) company that doesn't use, giving them competitive advantage.

Yes, and they do this while providing some of the shittiest service in the world. Greed and a disregard for the customers satisfaction have become the business model for anything technology related in this country.

>in certain areas
So let me guess, you live in a big city, you're gonna get shafted badly?

i don't have Comcast but i work for another top 10 ISP and i would assume not. generally it's one CPE IP per modem, and it's not a good idea to daisy chain routers behind one another.

Not necessarily. It really has to do with region. In the south, one ISP will have the market pretty much locked up and will enforce them because the legislators down there are unwilling to go against them, or actively colluding with them. In more liberal areas (northeast, west) these aren't being enforced and would likely unleash a nightmare for them if they were. It's just about screwing the people that are easiest to screw.

So, is a moca my only option? I don't want to run ethernet cables everywhere.

>tfw comcast says I dont have data caps "at this time"

>Sounds like you define freedom as protectionism.
Companies need to follow regulations in order to protect citizens against abuse. "Free" market means that the biggest companies make covenants among each other about territories, price, etc., there is no real race.

>What do you think the snooper's charter was about?
I don't live in the UK, it's a shithole, and they should have already exited from the EU.

What?
How does that even work, how is the message programmed to inject itself everywhere?

Such a shitty blog. How do I unsubscribe?

You could live out in the country with no landlines in your vicinity and be stuck with shitty wireless "broadband" or satellite ISP.

t.someone who was stuck with a Cricket 3G wireless dongle and Hughesnet for over 7 years

Also Eurofag, why is the South the easiest to screw?

>Companies need to follow regulations in order to protect citizens against abuse. "Free" market means that the biggest companies make covenants among each other about territories, price, etc., there is no real race.

I'm not against regulation per se. As far as what you listed, those laws already exist here.

>I don't live in the UK, it's a shithole, and they should have already exited from the EU.
It doesn't matter. They have already tapped your interconnection points. The UK was an example, but Germany and other nations participate in information sharing with the US, which means collecting that data. If Snowden taught us anything, it's that no country is really above selling out it's citizens. Not even in Europe.

Because they're anti-gubmint, anti-regulation. They see all regulation as bad. It's quite pathetic really, as I'm not prone to supporting regulation myself, but I don't look the other way when people are getting screwed either. They're sellouts down there. These are the same people trying to fix our shitty health insurance system by replacing it with a more corporatized system.

It's a mess in the south. It's not as densely populated so service providers aren't as motivated to set up there. Basically, they'll lay cables in certain areas only if they feel they can recoup the expense of running lines by charging more for their data packages. It's not just the south either. There's large areas of western Mass. that have the same issues. It's fucked to think one of the most densely populated parts of this country could still have these problems.

Wait what happened to the "sensible conservatives" who actually support government regulation?

Southern states also passed telco-backed laws that prevent municipalties from setting up their own networks, or contracting with a company to build one, even in underserved areas. Chattanooga has a pretty good muni network but Tennessee put the kibosh on any other cities following them.

There are no more sensible people in goverment. Only ideologues carefully selected by the tribe (party). It's not just conservatives, it's happened to the liberals too.