Go to London on work related stuff

>Go to London on work related stuff
>While there i also make plans to meet an english friend
>Tells me to meet him the lounge on the 1st floor
>walk through the hotel doors. see a bar and sit down to wait.
>Don't see friend anywhere and he was supposed to be here 10 minutes ago
>Suddenly he calls me and ask where i am
>"Im in the fucking bar on the first floor ya doofus where the hell are you?"
>He said that he meant the lounge on the first floor and explained to me that i had to take the elevator up one more level up to get to the FIRST FUCKING FLOOR
>mfw english people can't count to one without messing up

Same in German desu

It's the ground floor because it's on the ground. The first floor is the first level which is not the 'ground'. Makes sense really

Your fault for being stupid tbf (to be frank)

It does not make sense to have one floor out of all the floors have a different denomination than all the others. I'm sorry but thats just stupid.

You start at the first floor and then the next is the second one. THAT makes sense.

Wew. First floor, not ground floor.

Are you also scared of the concept of "zero"?

Retard

Should have gone to America instead and you wouldn't have had to deal with their weird issue of having to change everything from American English to Weird English.

This.

Not at all. But the floor is not called Floor nr.0 now is it Nigel? If you have one floor called "Ground floor" why not go all the way and have the second floor called "Sky floor" or "I can't make my mind up so i'll just call this Tiddelytwat floor"

>zeroth floor
>implying the floor doesn't exist

I have to say I would prefer ground floor to be the same thing as first floor, but it is what it is.

But user, the first floor IS the ground floor.

But it is literally the n°0 floor.

>But the floor is not called Floor nr.0 now is it Nigel?

Venture into a lift (not elevator, LIFT) in the UK. The ground floor is either called "0" or "G".

Just mentally translate "ground" to "zero" and you'll be ok. The first floor is the first floor ABOVE GROUND. The second floor is the second above ground

Brits are retards that can't speak there own language. Very sad.

I guess they call the basement "underground floor" too.. If their system would be at all consistent it should though. The fact that it isn't proves they suck ass at a daily basis.

My rez-de-chaussée isn't my premier étage.

If you walk in to a hotel you are now entering the first floor you have been to in that hotel no?

Does it not make sense that on your way up the stairs from that floor your are then entering the second floor from the ground in that building?

if this is of interest, in my country we have the ground floor too

Based Italy

I never liked Norway

Ground level is not a floor, it is ground level. The first floor is the floor above ground.

I'm sorry to hear that. I Like Britain but this ground floor thing just sound like something a three year old would say.

always thought it was an odd thing, though

Fucking idiot, if a building is only one floor, it doesn't have zero floors. Brits can't even count, UK school system a shit.

Lets look at it like this:

You stand outside a building and you want to count how many floors the building has.

1. You start by counting "0 - 1 -2 - 3"

2. You start by counting "1 - 2 - 3 - 4"

???

If a building is only one floor, then it has no floors above or below ground. No first floor above ground. No first floor.

based Italy

I never like the UK

Friendship with Norway is over. Now Italy is my best friend.

Can't Norway, Britain, and Italy be friends? Just ignore this floor thing. :/

ground floor is ok, but the level above should be called 2nd, not 1st, that's what is strange in my view

Not so fast. We're not counting floors here, we are designating them.

A building has a ground floor and a first floor. If I'm counting the floors, the ground floor is 1, the first floor is 2. The building has two floors.

That doesn't change the fact that the ground floor is the ground floor. Ground zero, if you will. Americans understood this concept back in September 2001.

It's like this in Norway too, albeit most people don't think like that here. Just check the elevators, though.

im partly inclined to agree on this. (though i still don't like the wording of "ground floor" It's just childish)

It has one floor on the ground. Nobody cares if the floor is above ground or not. A floor is a floor, a storey is a storey.

>Nobody cares if the floor is above ground or not

Most elevators start at 1 then the levels below ground are named "u1 - u2 - u3" etc..

No, U2 is always the "first underground" while U or U1 is what you'd think of as first floor.

to be fair, floors are always either above or below ground, unless it's literally just a dirt floor aka the ground

Too much autism; post discarded

>but the level above should be called 2nd, not 1st,
No, it should be called first because it is the first floor above the ground floor

Finngol buildings literally have 0th floor

nope.
Erste Etage = first floor
Erstes Stockwerk = secound floor
2 geschossig = having 2 floors

Stockwerk literally means "worked ontop of it". "It" is the first floor.

Not in my office building nor any of the malls in my area.

I just looked, in architecture the Ground Floor is also called 0 floor (P0), at least in my language, so counting floors 0,1,2... is technically correct

can i comes to norway? pls i of civilized and not mooslem

>tfw finnish used "layer" as a word for floors

so if a house has ground floor and 1st floor it has two layers in Finnish :D

British man here

Norwegians need to get out of Britain if they can't fucking integrate!!!

allahu akbar

Why complicate things Fritz? I thought you were all about efficienc. The first floor is the floor you first build. The you build a second floor above the first.

No one starts counting with zero.

that's qt desu :3. why are finns so cute

do we use american or british I dun know I've never been in a building

I suspect you're lying to me now, I think your malls and your office building do have a ground floor then a first floor. If not though, then I suppose it's done both ways in this great old cunt of ours. Cheers.

Apartment block is literally layerhouse :--D

Apartment block is flat in Britain which is cuter so FUCK OFF

I'm not lying. my office is in an older building in Oslo. The elevator at the entrance goes from 1 - 5. The elevator at the back of the building that goes down two more levels actually goes from 1-7

>appartments are like onions

It seems like you're just mad that you don't know English as well as you thought you did.
But to be fair your English mate should've just told you to go to the "upstairs bar" as I doubt there's other bars on the second and third floors etc.

A flat is an apartment m8. The whole building is called a block of flats or a tower block.

brits confirmed retards, probably from all the inbreeding on that shitty island of yours

You're an idiot

the second floor of the building is called the first floor?

Brilliant

Bong logic

Bump for some kind of conclusion to this argument

The conclusion is Brits are silly.

Correct method:
1___________(street/parkinglot here)_________

Conclusion is that semantics in all languages often require the suspension of logic.
>why is it called 'this' in your language?
>it just is, either accept it and carry on or piss off

since its our language, what we call it is the right one
now FOY

FOY