In all honesty, why do you actually use Linux?

In all honesty, why do you actually use Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/m8urnett/status/866357827295559680
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because it does everything I need it to without randomly spinning up my disks for no apparent reason like windows

Because I have something to hide

muhtasploit

Why would I pay good money to use shit software when I can use shit software for free?

I like to be able to configure absolutely anything I wish.

Watching cp and planning terrorism

i hate pajeets and faggots

this user gets it

my laptop is old but big

I used it for 4-5 years from like 2010-2015, it slowly became a real pain in the arse though, I began to become annoyed I couldn't play games properly anymore, even with their 'native' GNU/Linux ports, Ubuntu became more and more fucking retarded and every other distro wasn't as compatible as I needed it to be.

Unless Valve invests another few hundred mil into making games on the platform a thing or Ubuntu stops pissing away their donators money on shitty half ideas I am absolutely fine with W10 with all the telemetry stuff disabled.

It's comfy and I can fix it if something goes wrong.

PRISM

>PC gaming

It's a much better environment for developers, so much to the point that I now use a Linux laptop at work.

It's fun

To get absolutely nothing done.

Changing an Androids OS is plugnplay on Linux

because im a skinny submissive loser who has been bullied my whole life and it felt like windows was starting to bully me too so i installed linux to feel like have more control but i ended up breaking it and then i couldn't fix it and i was too ashamed to tell my family about it because i couldn't afford to get it fixed myself so i staged a burglary at my apartment and they bought me a gun instead but i cried when i shot it because the noise was so loud and i was scared and all my family could do was shake their heads in disappointment so they just replace my old laptop instead

It's fun and nice to have more control and interaction with my OS. Updates feel like a gift instead of annoyances. I'll admit my Linux systems tend to break a lot more often than Windows (7, not shit 10) but usually some simple stuff in the terminal makes it all work again and looking up problems tends to give real answers in comparison to "nvm fixed." It's really nice knowing that my OS doesnt try to advertise to me or spy on my every move. Also Windows 10 breaks a lot more, with things such as sound drivers failing, start menu bugs and more, which were common errors when I used it. Also forced updates. It truely is one of the biggest piece of shit OSes I've ever used. It's below Windows ME and above Vista on the shit OS list.

freedom, unix design and security

in other words:

I can do whatever I want with my computer without a corporation holding my hand telling me what I can't do

Things just work and it's easier to customize and repair them if they don't work the way I want them to

I don't have to worry about being spied on

I'm a stallmanite.

>It's below Windows ME and above Vista on the shit OS list.
damn

It's a Unix system

Found the consolefag

>I like paying extra for my mid-tier 2012 PC
>I like paying $300 for five video games
>I like paying to play online
>I like inaccurate controllers
>I like cinematic framerates
>I like 2005-tier resolution

the options to disable telemetry are placebo
twitter.com/m8urnett/status/866357827295559680

legit

Fileserver.
Mediaserver.

>In all honesty, why do you actually use Linux?
It has the best PDF reader

Well, at least something good has come from your life. Namely, that outstanding 10/10 post.

Personally, I put Linux on my laptop (not my main computer) so I could learn new skills in how to use it, plus I can pick and choose all the different distros and effectively be in a perpetual state of exposure to novelty and excitement.

I also don't like being monitored.

Because Windows is a menu-filled nightmare to configure, does shit behind my back and its OS management options are too idiot-friendly, while Apple insists too much on staying in its insulated ecosystem.

That's windows for you.

*Makes petition*

Like working from the command line and since I ssh into everything all day It works and feels better then windows. I have some macbooks I fixed and got for free and I hate them for some reason. Feels constrained as fuck and you need to yank their bash and install an upgraded one since mac hasnt updated theirs in fuck long.

No. I've used Windows since 1998. Change is too hard.

I like the fact that with the way I set it up I never have to touch the mouse.

>inb4 It took you weeks to set it up
Done in 3 hours with frequent fapping breaks.

Yes. I use Linux constantly, and in fact I use on my daily driver. Windows is terrible, and the only reason it's really popular is because it's thrown onto every machine by default, it seems to be changing very slowely, like the Lenovo book draw pad thing which gives you the choice between android or windows. I won't explain why I really don't like windows here as it would just make a wall of text but Linux is a fine substitute. A lot of people say that Linux is commonly not up to date on certain drivers, but that has changed and in a way not true. Linux is also super fast. Every operation can be dug down to small sub processes. When it comes to user apps, they are all just terminal commands but with there output being forwarded to some eye candy. And the fact the Linux has many options for a cli also makes it easy to use for developers. Windows has power shell but it's slow and does not have the tool set that all Linux distros a have. Also, to point out the obvious, you have complete control over everything in Linux, especially when running a distro like Gentoo or arch

>and every other distro wasn't as compatible as I needed it to be.
literally what
just use arch if you want an easy distro to run just about any software you'd ever want, nothing's better than aur for that. The selection and ease are both there.

I started because I wanted to muck about with something new.
I stuck with it because I got so used to it that I can't go back to OSX or Windows.

Because it's better than Windows and works for my needs.

faster cp downloads

Because I like making my environment sexy. Also, chicks think it's cool and bang me cause I'm a hackeranon.

it's what im used to and it works well for me

This is actually one of my reasons too. What does Windows even do wtf?

>Change is too hard.
I can't even go back to windows anymore.

Software dev

Because Windows shits the bed every five minutes with BSODs, wannacrypt, and failed Windows Updates.
>there are people that pay for this level of incompetence

Better out of the box software, faster installation, faster updates, better and more customizable UI, better default system tools, doesn't have american spyware, doesn't waste my hardware on useless telemetry, is DRM-free, won't do this which annoyed me so much and I had to unplug disks to avoid it.

Telemetry can't be disabled and gaming is better than ever now so I doubt you're being honest here.

This. Tbh many times when something breaks on windows you won't even notice it or will ignore it. Eventually this shit piles up and you have to reinstall windows.

Same

copy pasting my comment from other microsoft sponsored linux hate thread

I'll bite. This is what happened with my X220
>install windows 7
>fn buttons don't work
>wireless don't work
>even FUCKING LAN doesn't work
>needs a graphic driver show HD screen, stuck on shit resolution
>windows update needs patch to work or stuck at checking updates

>install Linux
>wifi, fn buttons works
>oh would you look at that updater works OwO
>download drivers and move it to windows
>gets more battery life than windows

Don't even recommend Windows 10, it just intall updates even when it's on battery so it's pure gambling with battery life

Mupdf?

Because I have a high paying job that requires me to use it. There's Windows for the rest I guess

Good filesystems available
Muh privacy
Just werks
Faster
Command line actually worth using
Customizable
PACKAGE MANAGER

i have an ssd
in my case my PC used to rev up everytime i went away and left it on standby. Everytime i came back i quickly launched task manager only to see absolutely nothing there, and the revving stopped immediately

microsoft is secretely mining bitcoins with user's pcs

I just like trying new technology and seeing how it works, even if I don't go much in depth in it for lack of interest or smarts. Linux is fun because it's so vast and full of things you can thinker with. I don't really understand it though.
I'm still trying to figure out how audio works on Linux, with sinks and Alsa and Pulse and Jack and all that stuff.
Much fun.

>Telemetry can't be disabled
>he is too dumb to get an enterprise version and activate it with kms for free

This.

>fast
>isn't designed to spy on you
these

i can get good font rendering on it

macs are too expensive

im also a racist

Morally, I'm opposed to microsoft spying on everyone and I want to support FOSS.
Practically, windows is way too slow, insecure, and is worse for programming. I suppose I could get a macbook, but that costs even more than a normal laptop.

This bullshit is actually one of the main I'm moving away from windows. When my monitor goes into standby from inactivity, my only HDD which is purely for storage, will make a sound similar to putting a rock to a cheese grater, this lasts for half a second and repeats at 5 second intervals. The system logs show nothing about this activity, all maintenance bullshit has been disabled. The only solution is to disable standby.

Okay, two best. Okular is what I use on the daily. The ever scroll feature whatever it's called when you can grab the page and just keep moving the page and when the mouse pointer gets to the edge, just keeps wrapping around. Mm.. it's just strangely satisfying.

I find it's genuinely easier to use. After all the shit I've had to deal with on Windows I think many Windows users would agree, if they could just spend 5 minutes learning how to use a tty. It has a slightly steeper learning curve, but in the end it pays off.

Because I like it, I don't need another reason

no botnet

I don't, OpenBSD is much better so I use that

I don't need to explain myself.
You do you user

It's fun!

because i doesn't have the money to buy a windows license and because i am a programmer.

>This is actually one of my reasons too. What does Windows even do wtf?
convincing every single of big software company to make windows version of their product.

which is and of the reasons i couldn't go linux full time. dang, it's not even their OS that i need.

Because I like it. Why do you use windows?

Because of this

It doesnt get in my way as much as windows so I use it when studying.

Most recently windows update broke my gpu drivers and wouldnt let a rollback so I had to reinstall it. I only use it to play a shitty mmorpg im addicted to otherwise id uninstall it

Working on getting that to run on wine, but its dx11 so.

I like the free software and ease of security.

I dunno. It just feels more fluid than Windows. Windows' shell barely werks, is slow and has way less commands.

Besides, it's faster, requires less maintenance, muh freedoms and it's highly customizable.

And muh pacman package manager

But in the end it just sums up to: I just feel nice using Linux, whereas in Windows I feel inprisioned like some stockphotos old man in a prison of absolute white nothingness.

I don't like the faggot Win32/Modern interface mix that Microsoft deemed acceptable
I don't like being forced to install updates
I don't like being forced to restart due to updates
I don't want an update to fuck up my os

Because it's way, way better for webdev work.

I have gone to hate m$.

I'd place 50 bucks on the bet that the overlap between consolefags and Linux fags is within the margin of error of ZERO, at least in america.

fast, free (gratis), netinstall and live cd/usb, package management, gparted, and no Microsoft

Because I hate myself.

I use Linux because i3 is computer as fuck.

It's easier to use.

Windows has sucked absolute ass for over a decade and Mac is too expensive for the hardware configuration.

Also my shitty netbook can run mate like a boss, but would probably shit its 2 gigs of RAM if I tried running Windows 10.

posix
unix
unix tools
everything can be done from terminal
everything is scriptable

ignore me I am testing a tripcode i just mined

Sweet trips

thanks.

im putting my unused cycles to work :)

this one should say m00t

i like it

There are many many reasons, some listed below.

Compared to Windows 10:
Ubuntu is easier and more efficient to use. It's incredible how cumbersome Windows 10 feels after you've gotten used to the speed and the ubiquitous keyboard shortcuts of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has better built-in diagnostic tools. Windows' event logger is super slow and has a bad interface. Ubuntu's logs easily accessible in plain text make troubleshooting much easier.

Ubuntu respects the privacy of the user. The Windows 10 telemetry is just too much.

Ubuntu is less prone to viruses.

etc

Because windows is a big pile of shit. With linux, I get a usable shell, package management and a good unix-like system. At work I handle a lot of big data and linux is great for the job. It's so much easier to set up a nice R environment in Linux with the packages I need as opposed to fiddling with stupid path variables in Windows. Also, text processing is something I do a lot of and bash is perfect for that job.

but I prefer my software to cost large sums of money and to have unavailable source code so that I can play games on it

I run exclusively Linux and still own a PS3, PS4, and Vita.

I block MS IPs in my router :)

You'd think. Personally I wouldn't buy anything from MS nor Sony, ever. So Nintendo is my only option, but I find I have plenty of good native Linux games available on my PC.

Because I like to do things the hard way and blame evil corporations when hardwrare on my hobby OS doesnt work as it should

I'm too poor to afford a Macbook so I don't have an option but to use Linux.

I don't like Microsoft
I find Windows a pain in the ass
I like fr*e software

you also need to block amazon, akamai, akamaiedge, and a few others.

Well, I'm a poor college student, I don't have money to buy expensive software, I need pay the bills and buy food.