W10 source code leaked

ReactOS getting a bump in 3...2...1...

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2017/06/23/windows_10_leak/
betaarchive.com/contributions.php
sfconservancy.org/copyleft-compliance/vmware-lawsuit-faq.html
betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6083&sid=00a32396bc394ba55703990b704c254a&start=450
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

source or didn't happen

The Register

ReactOS doesn't use leaked source code.

I'm expecting a Norwegian to make an archive link for me

But ReactOS devs can't even look at these

if the reactos guys even consider taking a look at it and microsoft will sue the shit out of them

So wait, does this mean we could compile our own botnet free win10?

There's nothing of value in the leaks.

after you

>stock hardware drivers and arm onecore code
Literally nothing.

>32 fucking TB
The fuck?

>when you're on a H1B and find out that it's not enough to feed your family back in India
Wew.

Complete builds and debugging symbols.
There's no interesting code in there No.

>wifi stacks
Jesus christ. Better remove that wifi chip or you'll be getting exploited by random radio waves now.

>source for drivers for undocumented hardware
>nothing

>undocumented hardware

>pointless greentext

I was quoting you. That's what greentext is for.

No shit, and your quote was pointless. Again, pointless greentext.

are these idiots intellectually handicapped?

Consider explaining what kind of "undocumented hardware" Windows has drivers for.

Basically anything that doesn't have an open source Linux driver. Without documentation on how hardware functions, drivers can't be made. Now that source code for said undocumented hardware is leaked, people can write Linux drivers for it. This means that hardware that either only had closed source Linux drivers or had no Linux drivers can now be made to function on Linux

(You)

>hosted on betaarchive
Well good luck getting access to their private ftp.

They are targeting XP anyways.

I know. Either way, a Windows leak of any version will not boost progress of ReactOS.

They're legally handicaped

>anything that doesn't have an open source Linux driver

>source to the base Windows 10 hardware drivers plus Redmond's PnP code, its USB and Wi-Fi stacks, its storage drivers, and ARM-specific OneCore kernel code
This doesn't include third-party drivers. Only inbox drivers for basic shit like usb, hid, ahci, etc. All of which are very well documented.

>unreleased internal builds, some debugging symbols, and source code for base hardware drivers
Wow, it's nothing.

might be cool to some folk but shitty windows drivers mean little to me

Where is actual link to this archive where I can download it?

You need private ftp on beta archive
which is fairly difficult to get nowadays.
betaarchive.com/contributions.php

IS IT OVER? IS MICROSOFT FINISHED & BANKRUPT?

Microsoft posted a blog about their migration to git recently.
They have 1 giant git repo that includes every component of the Windows OS, so it has tens of thousands of branches, several million commits, and millions and millions and millions of files.

I think they said it took all day for them to run a git status before they optimized it for their needs.

So think of all of those artifacts + the builds and debugging info.

I thought the actual OS source was leaked. This is interesting, but disappointing.

Sadly, no.

>leaked
"leaked"

No, it's just subsystems and a few debug build which don't have pdb symbols stripped etc.

>it will take 160 days to download the whole 8 TB archive
lMFAO

Leaks do not help any of the open source projects, they don't use source code or even binary code, they use documentation provided by someone who reverse engineered the original binary. Using source code or binary code directly is not legal and will get their project shut down

Only in "freedom" land. In Europa it's totally legal.

Yeah, it's over guys. It's just a shtick beta archive did so the entire world and their mothers rush to pay them

>undocumented hardware
BUILD THE WALL

That hardware came to this country in search of a better future, you can't just kick it out man.

you're such a fucking retard

how the fuck can MS or any other company definitively "prove" that the ReactOS devs saw the source code? If they literally cut-pasted from Windows source, then yeah, maybe that makes sense. But if they just read over it, get some answers, and then implement it in a similar manner, how can MS prove that they saw the source?

perhaps that is the plan

they probably have some tendril of their botnet in their office somewhere. when it gets released, they will use it to pull a bunch of their data and sue them for IP theft. it doesn't matter if they are right or not, micro$oft is big enough to survive an expensive lawsuit even if they lose, and it would cripple their competitors

The commits come in pretty slow because the whole process of reversing the binary and then documenting it and then re-implementing the binary from documentation is very time consuming. If there were a sudden surge in commits with no explainable reason (no documentation to explain how they discovered things) then it would raise some red flags.

Yeah I figured so, but unless there is definite, concrete evidence of source code from Windows being lifted and reused in ReactOS, Microsoft couldn't really have much of a case, right?

At any rate, ReactOS has a lot of activity in places like Russia. They probably don't give a single shit about MSFT. I'd imagine have no power if this leak is an actual happening

But it's not open source so nobody's allowed to fix it.

>Yeah I figured so, but unless there is definite, concrete evidence of source code from Windows being lifted and reused in ReactOS, Microsoft couldn't really have much of a case, right?

I'm not really sure. I can think of one notable case like this with VMware being sued by a Linux kernel dev for code that is suspiciously similar. I don't know if they have resolved that yet though.

sfconservancy.org/copyleft-compliance/vmware-lawsuit-faq.html

>32TB is likely not even a day or two of builds. Sorry to burst your bubbles kids, there's nothing special about these builds. They're all public releases! I just looked over them and they're an archive of the Redstone and Threshold builds for Insiders. Literally nothing special to see here. betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6083&sid=00a32396bc394ba55703990b704c254a&start=450 The builds from [rs|th]*_[pre]release are insider builds.
>After reading the engineering blogs for long enough, they have a build infrastructure that churns out something on the order of a few thousand builds a day all with different version numbers (rs3_prerelease and feature2, two public branches for the desktop and mobile builds, respectively) get builds for Mobile, Server, Desktop, IoT in many cases, Embedded, etc. for x86, x86_64, ARM, ARM64, probably some other stuff in there too.

Someone can find the botnet now

>google image search result

>peak at parts of the source code where your api is weak/missing
>don't mention that you peaked at it
Ez

I know that.
But, is there any workaround it can be used?

only the files werre removed as soon as they were found. the NSA and Microsoft are arresting people in the UK right now.

They cant keep getting away with this

When Microsoft sues you in a civil case for using their source code, you have to prove you didn't. If you didn't actually reverse engineer anything then you'll have no legal legs to stand on.

>guilty until proven innocent

When you're an adult you'll learn the difference between criminal court and civil court.

>I went through everything this morning. Unfortunately, the leaks appear to be nothing substantial.
The memes strike back

Having one person look at the code and describe what it does to another person who doesn't look at the code maybe

Maybe you could stop calling people retards and provide an actual argument.

How's it look? I bet it's pajeet-tier spaghetti code with tons of lewd comments.

IT IS OVER
MICROSOFT B T F O
HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER
GNU/LINUX HAS WON

good, now we just need to debotnet it

no hardware is illegal

fuck yeah i cant wait for assange or snowden or even linus infront of the source code on big monitor and pointing at it with there barehands "see here normies see this line of code ? this is nsa botnet right here - this line of code is where the government spies on you"

wait why cant reactos people look at the source code? cant we just fork it?

This is Reddit-tier naivety. Holy shit, you guys are stupid as fuck.

You're like the people who were asking if replacing their game discs mean they have to redo their backups.

>it would take me 5.3 years (64 months) because of data caps
great!

Most developers in the reactos project use windows and microsoft cares about what they are doing so they are pretty much heavily monitored.

If they peak at it expect them to get fined to oblivion

I think the problem comes down to how vague this shit can get, to the point where it doesn't even need to copy anything to trigger copyright infringement.

Look at the lawsuit of Bethesda v Facebook over VR technology.

Bethesda won that lawsuit despite the Oculus containing literally NOTHING taken from Bethesda, they won on the claim that John Carmack had learned some stuff about VR at Bethesda and after coming to Facebook he may have used what he learned to possibly have ideas about how to handle VR for the Oculus Rift.

They basically won on the idea of "VR was researched when you worked here, now you can never, ever do anything VR related again in your life because it can use concepts you passively learned while here".

The very idea that if while at Bethesda someone said "The camera in game should tilt when your head does" to him (an obvious thing that everyone would know intrinsically when it comes to VR design) now he can literally never apply that obvious concept to anything ever again or Bethesda sues.

I doubt having a third party convey ideas from their code isn't going to be exactly as above. It's still some sort of nebulous "mind share" of concepts from one company to another that is apparently illegal.

you can toats generating working source from pdbs

Protip: They leaked this to intentionally get the legal framework to sue reactOS

Imagine being this paranoid.

ReactOS is not a threat to Microsoft. OEMs are never going to switch to it because Microsoft charges them almost nothing for Windows licenses now that they make most of their money selling your data. Gamers are never going to switch to it because it's not compatible with Windows 10 or even 7/8.

link or this is viral marketing/some sort of false flag shit by M$

soon?

How is a leak ReactOS devs won't touch going to make MS more likely to win a lawsuit against them?

Because law isn't fair, that's why. Lawyers can now scrutinise parts of ReactOS code looking for relative matches with parts of the leaked win10 code, and through the power of money force a court decision to shut reactOS down.

If that's the game MS wanted to play they'd have compared the Win2k leak to it or leaked XP and gone after them.

actually, leaking old code is a good way to setup a potential law suit 10 years down the line.

>micro$oft is big enough to survive an expensive lawsuit even if they lose

at that point, the government should be stepping in and breaking up microsoft into smaller companies, like teddy roosevelt used to do

that motherfucker was a great president

link to the leak dumb nigger

because now microsoft can bring a case where immediately the assumption is that they DID peek at the code, and ReactOS would have to prove otherwise.

But why would they leak Windows 10 source code when ReactOS devs are targeting XP? Again, they'd have leaked XP if that was their intention.

Link to the files

win 10 featherweight tinfoil edition when

I really want that Shared Source Kit

>Gamers are never going to
>it's not
Pick one tense and only one, friendo.

This is the only acceptable method for reverse engineering in the U.S.

So where can I download it? Piratesbay?

It's pointless to download this shit....

>ReactOS getting a bump in 3...2...1...
Lawsuit.

The devs are retarded for even making ReactOS in the first place, but they're still not stupid enough to use actual Windows source code.

Didn't they get accused of stealing code before, the project got halted and they had to do a full audit?

you DO realise that everytime this happens React OS development stalls because they are forced to audit under threat of litigation?

Microshit knows this and pulled this stunt ON PURPOSE

peek