/wdg/ Web Development General

.js TLD when?

>old thread
>Discord / IRC
discord.gg/wdg
#Sup Forumswdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: rizon.net/chat

>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Everything you learn will have these as their base.
The Mozilla Developer Network offers a good intro (no matter your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Getting_started_with_the_web

>Online courses
codecademy.com/
freecodecamp.com/
bento.io/

>Further reading/viewing
youtube.com/watch?v=sBzRwzY7G-k
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

>Code challenges
codewars.com/
hackerrank.com/
codefights.com/

>Useful resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
libraries.io/ - Discover and keep track of open source libraries, modules and frameworks
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Useful Youtube channels
youtube.com/derekbanas
youtube.com/learncodeacademy - codecademy
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
youtube.com/user/shiffman - coding train

>cheap VPS hosting in most western locations
digitalocean.com/
vultr.com/
linode.com/
scaleway.com/
heroku.com/

an in-depth comparison of hosts
webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

react.express/
squarespace.com/
codepen.io/user/pen/rwzoMB?editors=0010
github.com/vuejs/vue/issues/4101
postgrest.com/en/v4.1/
webgradients.com/
randomstuffcms.azurewebsites.net
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_state_transfer
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>he's not an asynchronous developer

react.express/

Enjoy.

thanks, looks interesting and will give it a read.

I am still trying to warm up to React... mostly turned off by JSX.
Still it's so universally used, that I feel I am not going to make it very far, unless Vue gets a big bump in popularity and usage or I learn React.

so which one of u gonna make my uni project
ill gib u my steam account ;3

>.js TLD when?
I don't think generic TLDs can be 2 letters. At least all of the ones I've seen are country codes.

You're gonna have to establish your own country of Javascripstan

we ray tracing now boyz

First for Spring Boot.

>Spent time doing the PHP course on codecademy

Can I ask to have that time refunded?

So when can we actually start writing web stuff in C with WASM.

I'm ready to ditch Javascript.

>web developers
So you're the cancer behind Electron.js and 400MB/tab websites. How does it feel to be no better than a codemonkey pajeet?

Lots of people in here just like to build web applications instead of websites.

>"""web application"""
please stop

the madder you autists get the better it feels

i can do it for certain services.

>tfw 4 calendar months in to first web development job
>tfw 6 calendar months is right around the corner and i can start applying to the big money hustler listings because I have """experience""" now

Can't wait to jettison this destitute pay job and make some fucking late model used car money

Neato

Congratulations on finding /wdg/, and welcome! I don't know about the rest of the anons ITT, but to me Electron.js feels off compared to native GUIs, so I don't use Electron.js to build desktop applications.

You won't be laughing in the end, Pajeet.
squarespace.com/

Creating Squarespace websites for your clients is a rapidly growing niche.

s-such as?
l-lewd stuff?

you have a poor understanding of the field

As I understand it, it's using trendy APIs and JS to make """web applications""" that cost over 400MB of RAM to display. Is this correct?

there are over 1 billion websites on the internet. you've described at most 0.01% of them

And the rest can be automated then, no?

no

of course not.
i'll ask you to wear a skirt and knee socks then kneel in front of me so I can study anime culture closer.

what is the go-to router for react/redux?

Any opinions on Colt Steele's Web Dev Bootcamp at Udemy? It is on sale.

Can the skills imparted by these kind of curricula land you in an entry level position with some networking?

Any industry established devs have a minute?
>apply for job
>drive 2 hours for interview
>get denied through email yesterday saying "not enough experience"
>get voicemail today saying they have a question.

The fuck is happening? They denied me after I told them how much I make even though It's only 10k less than what I asked for. Are they about to make me a low-ball offer or have any other ideas? I need to prepare for this.

Do I need to be a hipster in order to give advice on /wdg/ ?

dude, don't ever tell potential employers how much you make. That's a really easy way to screw yourself over for salary negotiation

vue-router

even if they low ball you it is still a stepping stone opportuntiy for you. just hang around for 3 months or however long and work yer butt off

can I learn how to become a front end developer in 3 months if I dedicate my entire day to it?

Do you guys ever impulse buy domain names?
Sometimes I can't help myself

Yeah, well I would be moving, so ball is in their court. If it's not worth moving my ass then it's not worth taking.

Part of my negotiations would be the title mid-level developer. Taking it as a stepping stone is my main reason for even considering it.

I'm sort of worried what my resume would look like though leaving job after job every 4 months.

So I was looking into doing some freelance work on the side during studying, and these rates are pretty insane. Even places like fiverr are charging people 5 dollars for literally 3 changes to Wordpress CSS. Is it really that easy to make bank doing front end development?

I don't think anyone can really fault you for leaving a job if it is to a higher position. Just give as much notice as your current employer wants / as long as your next employer will wait.

Hey lads, I'm trying to make an API call with React and organize some info on a table based on that call.

The goal is that when you click a button the URL of the API changes and the table with the information changes as well, however when I try to do this for some reason it takes two clicks of the button in order for the information to update on the table.

I also see that I can put the function that'll update the info on render() but I think this is not a good practice and actually when I try to add more buttons that'll change the table information with more API calls it just doesn't work.

You can see an example of what I'm talking about in this CodePen:

>codepen.io/user/pen/rwzoMB?editors=0010

It takes two clicks in order for the table to update and I don't really know how to solve it, any help will be awesome! I remember seeing this happening to other of my projects but I don't quite remember what's the solution.

TL;DR: It takes two clicks to update some info on React when It should only take one.

this is technology board, go back to pedo

yes, user, it's kinda doable, but you really have to put your hours in. Why that specific time frame though? Studying under pressure like that can be really stressful. I'm neet right now, no economic pressure of any kind, studying as hard as I can (backend) and still I feel the pressure. I have to remind myself that I have a lot of time, shouldn't rush it.

But yes, do it, go for it. Don't pussyfoot around frameworks to begin with, just go HTML>CSS>JS, and once your JS is solid you'll know where to go from there.

Only if I have content to put there. I have a list of novelty domain names that I might buy at some point, but probably won't.

>tfw someone already registered thi.cc

Just use jQuery.

Worst case scenario it neatens the API at the cost of being a bulky library, which doesn't matter because time isn't critical on the client side since there's only one user per its own machine.

The preferred set up for me at the moment is
>C# or node, depending on what you need
>React templating/Server side rendering
>predominantly jQuery on the front end

It's not the "neatest" but I could pull any NEET off the street to start writing responsive SEO websites like this because it's so simple it even minimises the files you need.

>TL;DR: It takes two clicks to update some info on React when It should only take one.
It takes two clicks because you're relying on React to do two way binding, which it shouldn't do but if you force the render engine to run twice actually can, which seems to be what's happening for you on the second click. You're making React have a feature it doesn't have, good job I've always thought that's possible.

Use jQuery when you want to change things the other way and when you want to talk to the backend. You'll inevitably need to do both if users can actually interact with the website and change content.

I did mess around with Vue to get something inherently with two way binding, but server side version has a hard dependency on node and the client side version has a hard dependencies on something.

I'll pay 10% what you do to bid for it if you include a petite section. Do you understand the struggles a man undergoes to find petite ebony/brown?

Doable, sure.

If you care about your personal development, learn some simple programming first. Web frameworks are everything wrong with programming today and will teach bad habits. Otherwise, jump right in because it's actually easy. Whether it's useful is another question, if you run a business you can save between 1000-50,000 a year on IT costs just DIY'ing it, in that case you'd just use the newest, simplest, minimalist libraries.

Same guy.

Worst case scenario:
onClick() {
this.setState({source: albums});
this.loadInfo();
this.setState({source: albums});
}

Although, this actually doesn't call the render method. Curious.

>react.express/
react is a waste of time, it's already on it's way out.

Vue / Marko are the future.

Also, I get paid around 200k a year to code Javascript, pretty prominent in the community.

Just a heads up.

tomorrow ill register www.pajeetmyson.com

do not buy!

godaddy sucks they autobuy covfefe.com

unless it's a .com or .io, it's worthless

Why Vue?

Hogan, moustache and handlebars all work in a default v8 instance so would easily work on node.js or whatever you're using. Vue, on the other hand, has a hard dependency on node.js because: github.com/vuejs/vue/issues/4101

Basically "fuck you, do it yourself."

I don't really care, React will always be more popular and the more likely path because not everyone wants node and single file react is saner than single file vue. Even then, those templating systems I mentioned before all perform faster than vue.

Marko also has a hard dependency on node.js. That's just great, even then it's only fast because string buffers. That's probably how most of the other templating libraries are doing it.

>pretty prominent in the community
This means you're well connected, not necessary anything special. Evan You is prominent, but his API is still shit and his design decisions are still questionable as fuck.

Connections doesn't make you skilled, that's a successfulness bias.

bump

starting a react project. what meme styling or components should i use

thx, learned alot in 20 min.. and i thought i knew everything already :)

You should use Vue of course

Average job on freelance sites is "build me new Facebook for $100".

Either pass the new info category into load info or use componentWillUpdate(nextProps, nextState) and test this.state against nextState for a different source value. If different, loadInfo

.net
.org
.ly
.us

postgrest.com/en/v4.1/

Anyone here use this baby?

Average freelance job right here.

>COMMNTZ
Where the fuck is that from?

this isn't even profitable for pajeets lol. Even if you used Wordpress and minimal programming, it would take you 10+ days, which is 1.2$ per day

It's harder than it should be. The preference seems to be material-ui, but material0ui@next is way, way better. It is also a major ugrade from the original material-ui with no easy upgrade path.

So it sounds obvious, but @next isn't stable yet, and there's no ETA. I hate the thought of building on the stable and being stuck with it for years when @next comes out next week.

I screencapped it from one of Reddit's job boards .. it shouldn't be too hard to find given I left the username in it.

What's some minimalistic background image or color to use for my project. White background seems to fit well but its also too simple I wanna try and "impress" my professor more so it doesnt look like i lazied out(even tho i did and doing 1 month work on 1 day).

webgradients.com/

Can I put the same php file as action on a form? so kind of like an infinite loop?
example say i got like a comment section and got a php file with php code to write $_POST data to a database then php code again to display the database contents and at the end a form with a textbox and a submit button that has action the same php file
would this work

sure

Server side rendering guy here, still shitty I can't make a vue one, but my latest addition is underscore. Right now I'm trying to add doT.js, after that I think I'm done, unless I really feel like adding Pug too. By that stage you have 5 templating engines to choose from, 6 including mine. Unfortunately some of them can't be single lined so I can't implement them neatly.

>hard dependency on node.js

Turns out you can get free pluralsight for 3 months.

Anyone recommend any courses?

I'm currently listening and digging deeper into my C#/ ASP.NET knowledge with it. Will dive into ASP.NET Core.

I also want something different, was thinking of learning ruby on rails

if (isset($_POST['submit']
{
$variables_to_display = process_form();
}

function process_form()
{
do shit with $_POST

return $shit;
}

in your template:

>pic
What is that?

Freelance done properly will get you 2-3times as much money as having a salaried job. Expect it to be 3-4 times as stressful as a salaried job.

Doing odd jobs and microtransactions? You will get fucked over repeatedly by people trying it on or just simply posting shitty specifications for their jobs. You'll also be competing with lowballing Indians.

Everyone knows it's not real raytracing unless it's on a chessboard.

Same guy.

So your selections are as follows:
Vanilla JS™
Handlebars
Moustache
Hogan
Underscore
doT
EJS
Dust

Vanilla JS is just me setting props and then treating anything within delimiters as code segments to run and fetch a value from. Simple and has about a third of the features of most of these libraries just by being able to run code.

Everything is of course cached so whilst these machines only take 2ms to run (react is 8ms and vue is only slightly faster), most times a cached result is used meaning if everything is going smoothly most times the server will respond in under 1ms.

If you're a backend guy (I guess you are, cause of RoR):
theres a couple on Linux networks and servers, and 80% of servers worlwide run on linux, so it's good to know that shit.
There's one on Oauth, again, gotta know that shit.
I did Python testing and the Python intermediate courses, pretty good.
They have a short course on Docker, some AWS stuff, that's always good, even if you don't end up working with that stuff it just looks good on your CV.

it's true, fuck
how do I find normal jobs?

Work for large corporations, I work for one. Get paid above average and work little, play RuneScape most of the time.

thanks for the suggestions, will check out the Linux, Docker and AWS ones!

there's tons of linux stuff, you'll go mad if you do it all. Just pick the relevant ones, and servers are definitely relevant to backend guys.
Also, when those 3 months expire, just create a new account with a new fake MS email.

Rate my Angular/Ember killer custom written SPA page. It's super fast™

randomstuffcms.azurewebsites.net

yeah, thats what I meant, I created a new 3 months after my first one expired last year.

I dabbled in a bit of the confusing VIM and SSH and all that when at an internship I needed to set up a cronjob on the server and give myself permission to do so. Indeed it was hard but satisfying at the end. Is there a book you'd recommend on the topic?

Damn its like im browsing a website on my machine. Details?

all subsequent requests are like 500 bytes because there's little data. but still, the initial load is fast too

Give me some heavy data to add, so I can test it with load.

Is there such a thing as a good laptop for web development or will all keyboards cuck me compared to a regular desktop keyboard?

Vultr's storage servers are sold out :( Someone hacked my Digital Ocean droplet and I've wanted to migrate anyways. Gonna get a Tokyo IP Address

Dev on laptop is shit, because it gets hot and the heat transfers from laptop to palms which makes you heat up and sweat like a pig.

Chromebook :^)

I just need to have a laptop environment because I don't live alone and I can't focus on something if someone is looking over my shoulder or even taking a passing glance. I've always been this way, use to REEE at my mom for walking up on me in the middle of a drawing/writing whatever.

how shit is mithril?

try weather ?

Are you saying that codecademy is shit, or PHP? While the former is true, the ltter is a money maker.

What do you mean?

Is it worth it to create a StackOverFlow account and ask some shit?

Well the codecademy course for PHP is shit at least. But actually I must admit Codecademy in general is pretty shit.

Does anybody know if Lynda has any good PHP stuff on it for beginners? I only really have experience with JS

I'm a programmer and have been for many years, but I've never made a website. I've used JS, HTML and CSS. I've never actually done any work on the server side of a website. What should I start learning about?

.NET

Rest.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_state_transfer

Then find a library that reflects this well.

I don't remember but there was some weather API you could literally get information about every city in the world with a call or something like that?