/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

old thread: What are you working on?

How does it feel knowing that software engineering, in all it's forms, is the most unrewarding, soulsucking "white collar" profession imaginable?
If you, as a career programmer, haven't retired or at least reached management by age 35, you get replaced with young blood and become effectively unemployable.

Other urls found in this thread:

mollyrocket.com/casey/stream_0019.html
youtube.com/watch?v=4jh94gowim0
youtube.com/watch?v=uiJycy6dFSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TS1lpKBMkgg
youtube.com/watch?v=3U3lV5VPmOU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Scheme

nth for anyone who programs for an enterprise is a melon

>Circular buffers are preferred when maximum size is known.
I don't see any reason for this to be the case.

What the fuck is that thing in the OP image

>tfw Scala is getting B T F O
What are some more language talks that go over all the shit?
Beside sepples, ive seen too many of those.

The /dpt/ OP is not your personal shitposting space. Follow the fucking format.
Also, don't post your lazy "draw a girl, call it a boy" degenerate shit.

software engineering really is boring as watching grass grow while having to repeatedly hit yourself in the toenail. couldn't fathom getting a degree in it

mollyrocket.com/casey/stream_0019.html
Not a language, but the whole design up front methodology.

I don't usually visit this board so I'm sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask this.....
But basically I have this Remington IPL device and they limit the flashes to 1500 but I used Bus Pirate to reset the flash count in kind of a ghetto way cause the they use a DS2431 chip inside the flash tube cartridge and it's easily accessible.

BUT I'd like to increase the juice and solder on my very own quartz flash tube. The patents say the DS2431 chip contains information like current # of flashes, total flashes, manufacturing date, and initial energy of the lamp
The patents say the device automatically adapts and adjusts voltages to whatever flash tube you stick in there as long as you get the settings roughly close enough to cause it to actually spark and flash.

pic related is what bus pirate spits out and I have no idea where to go from here. I've only got like limited programming experience in C#, VB, and I guess matlab if that counts...

Game engine as friend bugged me too many times. He's getting it in idris so he can shut it

Waiting until the day I can call Haskell from Idris.
Or until Idris has a proper package manager and build system.

Why would you want to call POO from a pure language?

Haskell is currently better than Idris, ALL things considered.

Business idea: make a dependently typed language that's efficient but not an utter mess like ATS is.

For anyone interested, the relevant talks are

youtube.com/watch?v=4jh94gowim0
youtube.com/watch?v=uiJycy6dFSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TS1lpKBMkgg

>ALL
Except dependent types :^)

> package manager
It will in time, if not by a year... I'll write one for it relying on git builds at first. A bit like cargo from rust
> call haskell
you can already, it's just awkward

To be honest, idris feels more like a lisp than a haskell based language.

only the support and speed, idris will be faster than haskell with a better type system once that gets a maintainer / dev working on it more than edw.

idris already exists, it's cleaner than Agda and not Coq but borrows from it

scala will be killed by either idris or another dependently typed language in the near future despite it adding dependent types ontop of scalaz and cats

Idris is far from efficient.

Scala!

I didn't say Haskell was better than Idris in EVERY way, I said it was better ALL things considered.

I sure am jelly of you folks who get to use Haskell and Idris in production at work

>its not a good feature because my language doesnt have it
(Y O U)

Edwin, is that you?

>Scala has 556 explicit casts in the std
I cannot fathom the people who use this language.

It's 2017, why is there still no good programming language?

Can your programming language do this?

def f():
return f

I'm not convinced that Scala's "path dependent" types are any more powerful than GADTs.

Do you have trouble speaking English?

I am not saying Haskell is better in all things, I am saying if you take ALL things and put them together, Haskell is better.
This is already implicitly stating that there are things in which Idris are better.
By capitalising all, I am implying that there are many things in which Idris is significantly better, but that they are edged out.

If i have a C# webscraper that checks a site every 5-10mins and stores data in a sql server database, how do i implement that it only takes data that's new on the site from the last time it checked?

Haskell has better lib support, thats it.
Mainly due to it being the meme language before rust and everybody blindly jumping on it.
Haskell is and will always be the sepples of the FP community.
Its not popular from merit, just memes.

>Rust and D don't even have ISO standard
LOL
Even fucking ecmascript has ISO standard.

not really, look at how many more places we can now oprtimize. Idris is slow as it doesn't optimize let and where bindings currently and on top of that haskell has had a head start by quite a number of years. Idris' first stable was this year, remember that.

I also like idris pretty printing it's ast in lisp notation in the repl. It's much nicer than explicitly running the code.

Would be interesting if I was now wouldn't it?

It's a rough stone I agree but give it time. Take into account that our current goal is research which means we aren't aiming to compete even if the start is similar.

Haskell layed out the ground for pure FP languages, give it credit for that at least.

ISO standards are a placebo

Idris is garbage collected. I don't see that going away.

>but muh language has an ISO standard!
What the fuck benefit is that?

Rust and D have modules.

It's a fisher price certification, another example is "the unix cert"

>ISO standard.
hello pajeet, i see youre back again.

Can anyone at least tell me a book or site that can teach me how to figure out how to kind of reverse engineer this thing ;_;
I'd be really grateful

Uniqueness types can lead to eliminating the garbage collector. We have them now as an extension but need to reasearch them further to ensure they will hold in all cases. The primary goal for them is performance over ease of writing.

>muh only one canonical implementation that keeps constantly changing
Rust and D are as bad as PHP.

>Would be interesting if I was now wouldn't it?
Edwin, get off Sup Forums and finish Idris

Ok, any ideas how to implement it, i know there's not a one-for-all solution

>Haskell layed out the ground for pure FP languages
Haskell itself isn't pure though.

phew, MS and co must sure be scared to have your script be this aggressive.

sheep shaggers out

rebuild the dyke

Fuck off, dumb fucking nigger

>idris feels more like a lisp
What do you mean?
>haskell based language
It's not really Haskell based though.

LOL rustfag is mad because his shitty language has no future.

It's got more future than you

It mostly is if you forget about IO and STRef cheating.

> haskell
Haskell syntax based (Well ML)

> lisp
It allows for almost the exact same style of programming.

kek

>STRef cheating
Stop pretending to be Edwin.

>It mostly is if you forget about IO and STRef cheating
There are ""pure"" ""functions"" which don't respect equality of arguments, such as seq.

You really want that package manager. Well, I'll see if I can start it earlier.

>It allows for almost the exact same style of programming.
Do you mean the REPL interaction? I haven't used Lisp that much.

I'm not pretending

which aren't a part of idris as we don't need it nor is it correct

The language as a whole, types are flexible at last.

Does Idris have HVectors?

In the standard library as HVect.

It's a simple yes/no question

Yes

Edwin, whens the next idris version scheduled to release?
Any plans for a free-ebook to keep up with it like some langs have?

>If you, as a career programmer, haven't retired or at least reached management by age 35, you get replaced with young blood and become effectively unemployable.

If I wasn't planning on becoming a professor, I'd probably want to be a programmer from age 25 to 65. Why can't a guy do the same job for the entirety of his career?

>which aren't a part of idris as we don't need it nor is it correct
Good.

Ageism is apparently a problem in the valley

It's why I'm looking for programming jobs in the country's interior. That and lower cost of living and shorter commute

Because humans make them. We must develop an AI that can invent its own programming language.

There's already a free "ebook", a pdf version of the documentation. It needs to be rewritten but that's not a priority for now. For now I suggest getting a copy of Type Driven Development as it covers idris in the SICP style of teaching you with idris rather than teaching you just idris.

Note: I'm not a scot

>Note: I'm not a scot
Conor?

Already bought your book desu.
so no ETA on 1.1 or whatever the next iteration is?
If not, whats the biggest feature/change youre working on right now?

idea guy here

distributed blockchain-based Sup Forums

Slow meme.

How would it be moderated to stop spam? Who would willingly download a blockchain filled with CP?

People over 35 don't like to work long hours for shit pay, they also command lots of experience, which is expensive.
Companies would rather just hire inexperienced CS grads than deal with you.

Only himegoto allowed in OP.

Reminder that if you think types are for preventing errors, you're wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=3U3lV5VPmOU

Reminder that if you think types are "for" something, you're wrong

I like types much more as forcibly accurate comments that also help the compiler optimize aggressively.

>muh pure LC
go away

>Who would willingly download a blockchain filled with CP?

Is that a trick question?

>muh
Go away.

I'm sadly not part of the writing process so I can't tell. Will most likely be published by manning.com so head over there when announced on irc.

Why would I be using w*g?

I meant for the language itself, not the book.

The FBI

nice blog

There's no one book or website anyone can send you too. If you want to do this, you'll probably need to get some sort of electronics engineering degree and then spend a few years working.

Reverse engineering isn't easy, it takes knowledge of embedded systems, protocols and software. You posted nothing but numbers, that are spat out in some arbitrary order and some arbitrary meaning.

But if you had to start I would capture like 100 more transactions and keep track of total flashes and everything else you mentioned it can do. Then you can look for patterns and maybe intercept the signal. I don't know.

>achieve maximum old
>command so much experience you legit just make better things than a corporation
>sell the things
>they jelly

Stay on irc, quite a few changes are made every day so they'll most likely release when they feel everything is stable.

A Fuka from re zero

How can anybody use Scala when it's this bad?

>game engine
>in a slow meme language with no libraries
ur a dick user

Well I figured this would be a little easier because it's supposedly no code, only simple text data.
I've tried looking at it as it counts up and it gets all jumbled as it goes higher and higher and is impossible to figure out.
But according to the patent it stores the previous voltage and amps needed to flash the tube and slowly adjusts as the bulb is worn down which is why so much data is changing on the chip.

I think it's a great thing for him to do, the least buggy game engine ever

animefags fuck off pls.

You seem to be new here. All the *chan websites are born out of anime culture.
We apologize that seems to intrinsically trigger your plebbit sensibilities.

Last one was in chicken scheme but he didn't want to learn lisp so... he gets my new favourite toy. The libs are getting there and external ones too with opengl and a parsec equivalent on github (Lightyear).

stop triggering me.

Stupid shit to throw on git in hopes of getting a stupid shit internship to distract me from the stupid shit that is academia.

Yeah that's why I'm going for EE.