/ptg/ - Private Tracker General

Previous thread >Not sure what private trackers are all about?
The mission of /ptg/ is to promote the highest possible standards of tracker service by providing members with opportunities for professional development, by recognizing technical competence through examinations and by advancing the interests of its members.

>Have a question?
FAQ pastebin.com/SLdgTiuc
WIKI wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Private_trackers

Use as a link to find the /ptg/ thread.

Remember the following:
>Staff occasionally read these generals and have posted here before.
>This is a thread for educational purposes only. Don't offer or ask for invites.
>Staff may pretend to be normal users asking for invites and when you invite them, they ban you for inviting strangers.

Other urls found in this thread:

nntpchan.info/,
tv.com/shows/old-grey-whistle-test/series-2-episode-59-1239433/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I hope you're backing up your data.
Someone's backing it up.
It ain't you.

LETS RIPPING BOYS

First for I hope they find ItalianKitty in a ditch.

first for spaghetti
a meme denied his trackers

first for sumo chipmunk

next OP is cartel edition

We're all going to burn in hell for what we did to Apollo.

where the FUCK is apollo?

>no private tracker releases their db publicly
It's like they only care for the sweet dicksucking and donations instead of preservation. Remember what happened to whatcd?

Why does deluge always upload a lot shortly after I start it but then completely stop? Once it stops uploading I can exit out and then reload it and it'll go back to uploading.

>Wikileaks crowdsources encrypted backups of classified information
>Trackers refuse to crowdsource encrypted DB backups

All cabal trackers have implemented a plan to release a scrubbed public DB if they get taken down.

India

>if they get taken down
Why not now? This seems fucking retarded. Why are they against sharing?

>encrypted
why?

is what dot fucking cd not cabal ?

It was decided after What went down.

I don't know, I don't care.
I only want my movies, I literally couldn't give a less of a shit if someone else is missing out.

>dead meme tracker

Really makes me think desu senpai

So the decryption key can be handed out when something happens

Why would the db NOT be public beforehand?

>How is this different1
Maintaining a paid VPN/private server in a different country costs money.
>there is nothing wrong with account trading
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>The trackers that I listed
PTP certainly allows VPN. BTN doesn't but again you can sort it out with staff in 15 minutes.

Because releasing classified information is a crime.

>wanting a "private" tracker to have a public database

How stupid can you be, user!

the db of torrent trackers is not classified information.

Obviously private trackers would want to keep their data private.

What is wrong with sharing hashes with the rest of humanity? The only reason to keep them secret is because the admins of private trackers do not want to lose the attention and the godlike status that people provide to them.

I understand why they would want to keep the IPs of the members private but why would they want to keep the hashes private?

How would that change anything in that matter? I don't get it.

Most of the content is exclusive to these trackers, what good would the hashes do?

What's the name of that private site with mega.nz links? Gonna tell my non-tech savvy friend who doesn't wanna get involved with torrents to check it out

Everyone would be able to know that there is a torrent with the name N that has a hash H and in the case that the tracker dies (or even if it did not die and people just wanted to move to another one) people would be able to easily set up a new one. It also removes the centralisation that private trackers suffer from.
Moreover it would be trivial for people from the tracker who want to seed to the outside world to do so.
Finally, people who search for a specific thing would not need to try and find a way to register to a tracker that ends up not having what they want as they would be able to search the db beforehand.

Daily reminder that private trackers are a meme. Most of it hinges on "Since they are private and you need an account, less chance of being caught and getting DMCA notices." which isn't true.

Actually working on a case where someone is being sued and used 'private' trackers (and yes, they honestly thought that private flag DRM system (and yes it's DRM, since it exists to lock you into only authorised servers for authorised users, so their activity can be monitored and controlled) would protect them.

It's known to have been nonsense for over a decade, but it's still used as a marketing hook.

Lots of people feel the TSA makes them safer, despite failing 95%+ of the "red team tests", mostly because it's run by people who don't really have knowledge of the issues, but are just doing what they're told, and relying on 'everyone knows' and 'obvious innit?'

Same thing with "private" trackers. most of them running it don't have a lot of knowledge of BitTorrent, or the security threats, only what they've taught themselves based on the rumour mills.

Now, yes, public trackers are targeted more often still, because the profit ratio is still there. but the days of those are just about over, as its going to require more in the way of evidence. Evidence that 'private' sites provide, both in logged data, and in the substantially smaller repeat pool (if you can snag the same user on 3 related torrents, each time on a different IP that then resolves to the same ISP account) or from data from an account, the use of the DRM flag to allow only members in, and that those members are somehow 'vetted' is amusing, because you can't vet people as they claim to, and goes back to the old myth of 'an undercover cop has to tell the truth if you ask them if they're a cop' thing - companies can and do lie, and torrent to get access to those groups.

You are a cancer on this board that you don't even belong. I hope you all die in horrible, painful ways while your lover fucks a nigger

>Everyone would be able to know that there is a torrent with the name N that has a hash H
Including the copyright agencies.

>Daily reminder that private trackers are a meme. Most of it hinges on "Since they are private and you need an account, less chance of being caught and getting DMCA notices." which isn't true.
The truth is that most people use private trackers for the content. If you care about DMCA you would use i2p for torrents or another file sharing network like gnunet/freenet.
Sadly it's difficult to find linux games outside of private trackers.

The copyright agencies would gain absolutely nothing from having the torrent hashes. Moreover if they can (and I am sure that they already do) create their own accounts in them.

There's a difference between "there are these obscure hard-to-get-in websites which might have the content you want" and "you can download your illegal shit from right here". It's not about agencies getting something, it's about public perception. They'd attract too much attention and agencies would be forced to go after them full force.

>They'd attract too much attention
The only people that the dbs would attract in reality would be the people who care about setting another site (be it public or private).

>and agencies would be forced to go after them full force
Which would not be a problem if the db was published as anyone would be able to host a new tracker in less than an hour.

Also, see projects like nntpchan.info/, if each tracker published their db regularly we would have essentially a decentralised and distributed network of trackers which would be difficult to censor.

You're replying to copypasta

Here's the kicker, brudda:
It will never happen.
Okay? Cool.

>It will never happen.
What makes you think so? What is their reasoning for it? Also, this does not exclude them from criticism.

>Finally, people who search for a specific thing would not need to try and find a way to register to a tracker
Your words. Surely you're not stupid enough to not get the difference between covertly selling some drugs and giving out pricelist flyers all around town.
>Which would not be a problem
It is a problem when you're in jail. As other user said cabal trackers would release db's in case of compromise. There is virtually no good reason to do it during quite times except you being a stubborn contrarian tard.

They don't care.
They don't have to care.
And you can't force them to care.

>anyone would be able to host a new tracker in less than an hour.

To run a real site you need:

1 Web server on a host which is piracy friendly, is in a safe country, and takes bitcoins. This means you can't do OVH, at least not directly (though preferably at all).

1 Separate server for the tracker, again one that takes btc. On any larger scale sites you need to separate these for load balancing reasons, and because the number of incoming connections to the tracker will cause issues (trigger anti DDoS protection) if exacerbated by webtraffic. Hell, it happens just by itself once you get to a certain point. You also can't use online.net cause of arbor.

0-1x DB servers. This isn't needed, but it can help.

1-15x Reverse proxies and load balancers. These are required to handle load balancing properly so the tracker doesn't shit itself, and also prevents the real server ips from ever leaking (or getting subpoena). They can also help deal with sustained DDoS attacks.

1-4 Irc servers. IRC is a giant pain in the ass to DDoS protect on the cheap, so the easier route is simply to do a leafed approach. Alternative is to get a DDoS proof tunnel but it's the same price and less resilient.

1 Image host server if you're providing such functionality to your users.

1 Dev server, must be paid with btc.

1 Backup server that can run replication (so you probably want it near production but not in the same DC for saftey and reliability reasons). This can be the dev server in a pinch.

1-3 Staff proxies to avoid leaving trails and prevent staff from doxing attempts.

1 Domain name

1 Cloudflare account

Add that all together and you're looking at around €750 a month if not more.

Ya think so?

No. We would have a collection of tracker's databases. Nothing would change on actual technical level. Cease your autism please.

>>Finally, people who search for a specific thing ...
Probably nobody would bother with that since people would just use whatever public replacement. Only neets would care about it (similar to how only autists search the nyaa db locally)

>It is a problem when you're in jail
There is no reason to believe that publishing a db would put them to jail. Instead, it would remove attention from them.

>There is virtually no good reason to do it
I listed many reasons for it.

They do not care because they are niggers.
Indeed they do not have to care and indeed I can't force them, this does not mean however that I can't post on how retarded and shitty this is.

>1 Web server on a host which is piracy friendly, is in a safe country, and takes bitcoins. This means you can't do OVH, at least not directly (though preferably at all).
You could put it on tor/i2p/whatever, or do what the nyaapantsu people did.
In any case, you do not need to host the tracker per se, you can just host the site with the magnet links and use DHT/another tracker.

>1-4 Irc servers. IRC is a giant pain in the ass to DDoS protect on the cheap, so the easier route is simply to do a leafed approach. Alternative is to get a DDoS proof tunnel but it's the same price and less resilient.
You can use an existing server.

>1 Dev server, must be paid with btc.
Dev server? Wut? How is that needed?

>1 Backup server that can run replication (so you probably want it near production but not in the same DC for saftey and reliability reasons). This can be the dev server in a pinch.
Not needed if you upload your db.

>1-3 Staff proxies to avoid leaving trails and prevent staff from doxing attempts.
What is the point if they only post in your site? Why would you use more than 1 proxy? Also, you could just use tor for that.

>Add that all together and you're looking at around €750 a month if not more.
Did not cost that must to the pantsu people

>Ya think so?
Yes

>literally advertising their content
>would remove attention from them
Are you that desperate for (you)'s?
>I listed many reasons for it.
Not one of them is good. If a tracker fails/gets shut down it releases DB for safekeeping and setting up anew. Otherwise there's no need for it to be released.

>>would remove attention from them
Yes, as much more servers would pop up meaning that their attention would be divided between the multiple new trackers.

>If a tracker fails/gets shut down it releases DB for safekeeping
Except when they do not.

>Otherwise there's no need for it to be released.
Other than avoiding vendor lock-in and the other reasons I listed.

>HDB dies
>HDB DB gets released
>Everyone from HDB migrates to the new site that rest of the cabal sites backs up as the "legit follower" to HDB
>The mirror sites will literally have zero seeded content because most of it never leaked outside the original tracker

That's how it would actually go, 99% of the content is seeded by 1% of users (literally pointed out by a dev of the biggest private film tracker around), and that 1% is going to the next super secret enclave.
I know because I'm in that 1%.

ptg is poo

whats on db9 forum fellow NEETs

>>HDB DB gets released
Yeah, trust them. What could go wrong?

Already been confirmed that they have a plan to release a scrubbed DB if shit hits the fan.

Yeah, trust them. What could go wrong?

>attention would be divided between
Nobody would go after mirrors - the source of content stays the same.
>Except when they do not.
They do now after what as you've been told countless times, autismo.
>vendor lock-in
Wut.
>other reasons I listed
Either name them or fuck off. Tired of contrarianism.

Wait, this nigga doesn't think HDB allows most of their releases to be shared outside the tracker? AHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

>Nobody would go after mirrors - the source of content stays the same.
People would be able to upload shit to any of the mirrors while they synchronise between them, meaning that the source of the content would be all of the trackers.

>They do now after what as you've been told countless times, autismo.
You have to blindly trust them like a sheep.

>Wut.
As I said.

>Either name them or fuck off
See

>synchronise between them
>source of the content would be all of the trackers
What? Do you know how BT works at all?
>You have to blindly trust them like a sheep.
You also have to trust them to not be honeypot. Don't use private trackers if you consider this a problem.
>keeps wiling away from naming any concrete reasons
Just stop posting already.

>What? Do you know how BT works at all?
Yes

>You also have to trust them to not be honeypot
The less trust that you have to place, the better. Since this is something that they can fix trivially I can see no reason not to complain about it.

>Just stop posting already.
Holy shit, I linked you 3 posts where I posted multiple concrete reasons.

>Yes
>synchronise between them
>source of the content would be all of the trackers
Clearly you have no idea.
>they can fix
There's nothing to fix.
>I linked
None of that shit is relevant. Name concrete reasons in your next post or you can go fuck yourself.

is this in any tracker?
tv.com/shows/old-grey-whistle-test/series-2-episode-59-1239433/

Copied from reddit?

>>Yes
>>synchronise between them
>>source of the content would be all of the trackers
>Clearly you have no idea.
I think what I said is pretty clear. I am not talking about trackers as in the tracker in the BT protocol of course but about trackers as in the sites.

>There's nothing to fix.
Well, there is. By publishing the db we do not have to base our trust on them as much.

>None of that shit is relevant. Name concrete reasons in your next post or you can go fuck yourself.
Well, seems pretty relevant to me. If you disagree with something you have all the time in the world to post about it. I am not going to repeat myself after I linked 3 specific posts that contain my reasons. Now kindly please kys.

DB9 is garbage, just a niche tracker with high requirements for no good reason.

>I am not talking about trackers as in the tracker in the BT protocol of course but about trackers as in the sites.
>I released I'm retarded so it's time to simulate insanity

>we do not have to base our trust on them as much
You're free to set up your own tracker and do as you please if trust is such a major issue for you. Again talking about trust at all in the situation where you basically have to trust the people to not be a government honeypot is retardation par excellence.
>Well, seems pretty relevant to me.
All those posts have been replied to and reasons shown to be retarded. You wrote umpteen sentences already instead of simply naming anything valid. Seek a mental help professional and stop shitting up the general.

this is the truth
i think the guy who's sperging out isn't on cabal trackers and doesn't really understand how that world works

oh, and
>he actually fell for the "INFORMATION SHOULD BE FREE" meme in 2017

>>I released I'm retarded so it's time to simulate insanity
What? It was clear from the start that this was what I meant.

>You're free to set up your own tracker and do as you please if trust is such a major issue for you
Sure, and again, just because I can set up my own empty tracker (since I do not have any dbs) it does not mean that they can escape my criticism.

>All those posts have been replied to
None of the reasons that I gave have been proven to be bad though.

>You wrote umpteen sentences already instead of simply naming anything valid
If you believe that any of my points is invalid then I am waiting for you to debunk it. Honestly, considering that you continue refusing to debunk any actual points I am beginning to think that you are trolling.

>this is the truth
Good sheep. Relive them blindly.

>i think the guy who's sperging out isn't on cabal trackers and doesn't really understand how that world works
I am on AB, GGN and a few film trackers that I am not using anymore.

>he actually fell for the "INFORMATION SHOULD BE FREE" meme in 2017
Yes, it should.
Why are you using BT if you disagree with that?

*Believe
I bet both of these guys are windows retards as well.

AB and GGn are not cabal

i'm using BT because i want my content and i want it free, that's all, i'm not making any excuses
if it's theft then so be it

>>i'm using BT because i want my content and i want it free
You would probably agree with "INFORMATION SHOULD BE FREE" then.

>I am waiting for you to debunk it
All of your points were shown to be retarded already. Releasing a DB would do nothing except for attracting attention from unwanted people and organizations. Your whole "decentralized synchronetwork" is a tech illiterate babble from someone who doesn't understand how BitTorrent works. As other user said you just sound like a salty pajeet who can't get into cabal.
>AB, GGN
>anime and vidya
Okay, it was stupid of me to engage with a 14 year old.

i don't think it should be free
but i'm taking it because it's free

can anyone identify which tracker this is?
>>/vr/4076667

it looks like underground gamer, but I thought they went under years ago.

one job

damn, how the fuck do cross-board quotes work.

>/vr/4076667

>All of your points were shown to be retarded already
Yeah, heh. Calling them retarded is easier than actually bothering to explain why you disagree with them.

>Your whole "decentralized synchronetwork" is a tech illiterate babble from someone who doesn't understand how BitTorrent works
I explained how it works a few posts before. In fact I made clear that it has nothing to do with the bittorrent protocol per se. It seems however that it is easier to attack a strawman than what I actually said.

>>anime and vidya
Literally no other reason to use a private tracker. Other than books maybe but I never had a problem with finding the books and papers that I want without any tracker.

That is R**********

You still haven't addressed the matter of seeders. Like was pointed out previously, nobody would seed the content because of the way the cabal is structured. There would be an "official" replacement and everyone that actually has the files would seed there.

>actually bothering to explai
Already explained in previous posts. Just like you can't be bothered to post one reason, I'm not going to bother repeating same shit over on over.
>I explained how it works
You didn't. You literally just mumbled some pseud buzzwords about "databases allowing decentralized distributed network" which is wrong on every level.
>Literally no other reason to use a private tracker.
If you're an autistic teenager maybe.

>nobody would seed the content
Except people who are willing to seed it. Be it in private or in public.

>Already explained in previous posts
You never refuted any of my points in any of your posts.

>Just like you can't be bothered to post one reason
Well, I posted multiple reasons and even linked you the posts, but you did not seem to care.

>You didn't. You literally just mumbled some pseud buzzwords about "databases allowing decentralized distributed network" which is wrong on every level.
Well, I did here and You only need servers synchronising their dbs between them, nothing to do with the BT protocol.

>If you're an autistic teenager maybe.
Well, I can't think of any other reason. If you have any then please post it.

>AB is DOWN
>PTP is DOWN
>RED is DOWN
>BTN is DOWN
>TEH is DOWN
>GGN is DOWN
>AHD is DOWN
>HDB is DOWN
>MTV is DOWN

>OT is UP
we fucking did it /ptg/ cabal is officially BTFO

AB/GGN aren't cabal but they bow down to them.

They're all up tho.

>not listing APL

Uhm.. for what perpose?

why are they named cabal

>Except people who are willing to seed it. Be it in private or in public.
It would be private, and that tracker wouldn't probably do any form of DB dumps either. All the members would be the original members of the previous site.

In the end, the only thing that matters are the people who provide the content, they're the ones who who make the tracker, and all of those people absolutely despise their stuff being uploaded publicly, or even other private trackers.

All of these people have the chance to contribute to public trackers, but they don't. There's a reason for that too.

hiro should fuse Sup Forums with the Sup Forums boards and make /t/v/ seeing as both boards are inhabited by the same kind of mongoloid retards

>It would be private
Not necessarily if the db becomes public

>In the end, the only thing that matters are the people who make the content, and all of those people absolutely despise their stuff being uploaded publicly, or even on private trackers.
Oh no, they will steal their fame :(

But public trackers don't work, you know this.
Anything that isn't popular dies a swift dead because there's no mechanism to keep people in check.

what?

>You never refuted
It refuted all of your points in replies to your posts.
>You only need servers synchronising their dbs
The whole point of private servers is quality and retention. Synchronising DBs across trackers with different entry conditions, rules and moderation would just turn all of them into same awful public-tier shit with unseeded torrents and XviD camrips on UHDbits. Again your whole hurrdurr looks like butthurt about not being able to get into good trackers.
>Well, I can't think of any other reason.
If you ever grow out of your autism, you may find a few.

>But public trackers don't work, you know this.
nyaa worked pretty well, same for bakabt when it was still public.

People like to rag on pub trackers but those two and rutracker were great.

R********** does not like having their name posted. They're like the E**** of video games.

And now they're either private or half-dead.

>It refuted all of your points in replies to your posts.
Since nothing good comes out from this yes-no ping-pong, let's agree to disagree.

>The whole point of private servers is quality and retention. Synchronising DBs across trackers with different entry conditions, rules and moderation would just turn all of them into same awful public-tier shit with unseeded torrents and XviD camrips on UHDbits. Again your whole hurrdurr looks like butthurt about not being able to get into good trackers.
You can have moderation-per-node, like how nntp works.

There was tons of dead content on Nyaa, that's why I joined AB in the first place couple of years ago.
There also isn't that many unique anime titles compared to say, films, yet there's a much bigger "hardcore" community around it that are somewhat tech. savvy.

Retro Within.