IT woes

So. I am the vice president of a managed service provider, rather high'ish end. And here is my rant so you must listen.

The owner is a good guy but likes to micromanage. I don't know where to begin really. He's the political PR guy that does stuff like that that me or the other employees don't want to deal with but all of a sudden he got a bug up his ass and is doing field work but isn't documenting anything or doing service tickets when I could normally delegate what he's doing to a tech who does these things which actually brings us in money.

Short of reading him the right act about his negligence, do you think he just might be uncomfortable with the whole procedure or is he just being above everyone else? He's affecting our bottom line and it has to stop or change immediately.

Don't get me wrong I love this company but this is completely unacceptable.

>vice president
How does it feel to have no power and a meme "job"?

why not send a tech with him
or hire a new guy and have the owner "train" him or whatever

or best of all, just fucking ask him to document what he does next time

>op is a nigger/pajeet
>op's boss is an even bigger nigger/pajeet
what a surprise

dumb frogposter, you deserve it

I have all the purchasing power and delegation of the techs, plus am responsible for the day to day operations of the company and even wrote our secure ticketing, ordering and messaging system with a sql server and is intranet interface. I have no idea what your problem is other than some inferiority complex. My rant is that the owner is coming back after his absence (divorce, substance abuse, laziness) and not complying with our WELL established procedures.

Problem is, I just have to suck it up and deal with the goddamn PR aspect of the company which I hate.

Ok nevermind I get it. I just hoped for some good advice for a non compliant link in the chain but apparently you're all unemployed faggot NEETS.

Sounds like he just wants to show your faggot ass who the big boss is after the power vacuum. Probably won't last long. If he keeps it up, show him how it's affecting the bottom line. You seem like the type of person who has graphs n shit ready to go at any given moment to show him what's up.

Yeah but he's the owner how can I send him with a tech?

He would be absolutely fucked without me or the techs and quite literally takes 1/4 of our entire revenue and NOW he decides to get involved?

Lads I think I'm done. Im just going to do a start up with my best tech and call it good.

Just make sure that you have a solid client base before making that move famalam. All the best

I shouldn't get so mad DESU. He hasn't actually done any tickets in the system that I wrote which basically replaced AutoTask. I just have to sit down and walk him through the process a few times.

Yeah that's the thing. We have 2 county government accounts, most local municipalities and medical care facilities and a break-fix shop for walk ins.

Me and my best tech could take like 1 account and we'd be set for life. It's our hard work that makes everything happen.

are you the vice president of a 30 person company lmao

18ish so what? What does that even matter? What are you? A fucking intern? Go back to your basement.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm assuming that your boss started those accounts? Good luck poaching. His political PR ruthlessness can destroy your future prospects.

i think it's hilarious when tiny companies like that give VP titles to managers

What do you do for those clients?

DESU he's given us a bad rap with his negligence in returning calls and following up with appointments. If we did our start up, it would explode because our customers would finally feel like they're getting actual attention.

Problem is, is that we're too comfortable. Just wanted to come home after a day's work and have a beer, enjoy our families and shit without any worries. Lots of trade offs for cowards like me I guess.

First of all, you can't manage up. He's the owner, he will do whatever he wants, if he decides you're being an asshole he'll fire you even if it means tanking the business. You have to distract him with shinier things. Find out what he actually wants to do, drop hints that you want to start a "secret project" or some sht like that that will consume all his time. Get customers to start talking to him about other random shit they're interested so he starts worrying about adding additional services. You need to make him comfortable as CEO and make sure he has enough work to do and is actually enjoying it, so you can carve out your space as the operations guy. It's unfortunate that he is also the owner, but just be happy that he actually wants to work there and doesn't resent you yet.

t. cubicle monkey

>t. cubical monkey who makes more than a VP at your 18 man company

fixed that for you champ

What do you mean you're too comfortable? Working 80 hours a week isn't going to fix your situation.

Sobering advise. Thank you.

This isn't a board for tradesmen, sport. You seem young, you'll learn.

when you can't even spell properly, good luck security contracts

It's also not a board for business advice, but you don't seem to understand that
fuck off reddit

dang bro you got me, i wasn't paying attention when i was typing cubicle

>ITT: Sup Forums gets triggered by the title VP

Anyways, OP, the reality is that he's the owner, and if he's going to be a retard and run the comany into the ground, there's really not much that can be done about it.
You can distract and run the company behind his back to buy time, but that's all you'll be doing if the owner has broken himself in the divorce/drugs/whatever.

I know it's probably cliche advice, but I'd at the very least be prepping myself for the company to flop... save money, get your shit in line, you know the drill.
You could also be proactive and try to get some leads on other positions lined up, and have a serious discussion with the boss, with hopefully those other places to fall back on if he loses his shit and fires you.
Or you could just walk and take a large part of his labor/clients if they'll follow you.

Such is the way of small business... the owner's basically a king. Come to the corp/gov world and you'll find a world of difference, both positive and negative.

Newfag I think you're lost or salty about being turned down for anything resembling management.

Ask him to train the tech on your procedures.

I'm just pointing out that being the VP at a company of 18 people is the same thing as being a manager at mcdonalds
if you applied to a real executive position, you wouldn't even get a phone interview
your entire company combined makes less money than my department's VP

user, trust me this time, I know what I'm talking right now.

That sounds a lot like corruption/fraud going on to me. Just don't tell anyone I told you that ;^)

This is what I needed to hear, TY. The thing is, is that we're in basically a backwoods resort Paradise so not much in the way of prospects insofar as employment is concerned.

I have four options that way I see it:. I can:
- retire (but I'd go crazy bored after 2 weeks)
- work at a gas station or other easy job (but i'd end up running the company after 6 months)
- kill myself (but I have kids and family and such that depends on me)
- socially engineer my current boss to fuck off so I can grow the business

I dunno I really don't have it in me anymore to start a new business.

Also, what is up with the captcha bullshit today??

Lol, no. You're a dumbass if you think being the VP of an MSP with actual purchasing and decision making powers with college grad IT vets is like being a manager at McDonald's. Talk about naieve.

Take your daddy not being proud of you issues to r9k

I'd go for option 4.

You're irrelevant, your company is irrelevant, the town of 2000 you run coaxial cable for is irrelevant
You're right though, at least a McDonald's manager has more than 16 people under him lmao
Your purchasing power is choosing which router to buy, my company pays more in salary in a day than yours makes in total revenue in a year
I'm sure your customers in mobile alabama love you, but nobody outside of it has ever heard of you, or cares
Half of Sup Forums had software I've written on their computers, can you say that you've made a difference in the world?

Combination of 1 and 4, then 3.

Wrangle the current business as long as you can, cut your personal expenses to save for eventual half-retirement. You sound like you have some smarts and money, so you're probably well on your way there.
If you take control of the company, then you live happily ever after... not sure of the chance of this happening. If it goes belly up, make the decision of retirement or moving in to fill the void that it left, starting your own company.
If you retire, work at Lowes part time, and spend the rest of the time working on physical projects. If you get into wrenching on cars or woodworking/remodeling, you won't be bored.

Where is this backwoods paradise? I think I could use a vacation.

If you had ever been to Mobile you wouldn't talk shit. It was my favorite city when I lived in the south for 2 years.

You're an absolute faggot. Why do you insist that I'm irrelevant? We do ubiquities for the governments and hotels in 2 counties, we have watch guard and barrier1 firewalls in most medical care and banks and credit unions in the area. 2k towns? Where? Most we service are over 5k minimum. Fucking faggot stop feeling so inferior.

What do you do?

Spider lake area in northern WI. ULine is our biggest customer but we service all the governments and hotels. It's pretty lucrative. I'm just fed up with having the owner come in and muck things up.

I'm sure you loved the fine dining establishments like doobies dog house

>Faggot
Lmao confirmed yourself as white trash
I hope your owner bought you a nice fancy double wide for all your troubles
I write low-level winapi code for a multi billion dollar company
In the last year I've deployed code that has run on over 30m machines
I do something you couldn't go to devry for, unlike standing up preconfigured Palo Altos
Or can your company not afford Palo Altos

Wow, Mr. Big Shot. Pride comes before the fall, faggot.

How many kids ya got? Lmao
Willingly, I might add.

>Wasting your time on kids
Lmfao get a load of this normie

>being PROUD of being a wageslave
>being PROUD of being a cuck
>sucking your jew bosses dick this fucking hard
Get back to work, slave. Don't you want VP Goldberg to afford his new Yacht?

Ooh I can play this game too:

>My 2 networks service over 2M users and billions in assets
>I manage infrastructure operations
>Our IT budget is literally in the billions
>We have the single largest storage pool in the world
>We have the most processing power
>Things we do, you see in the news

Whatever pajeet-tier code you spew is insignificant.

>Having no future or happiness
Get a load of this guy. Living for the eternal Jew. Enjoy being that fat wow player like on southpark LMAO

Except you're a network tech running cables at a local office for Comcast and I'm working at corporate hq for one of the biggest companies in the world
And op is different how? At least people use what I work on :)

Being a sysadmin at a data center isn't impressive champ
Yeah you're right what ops doing is much better he's not a wage slave at all :)
When did you move here from Reddit Gramps

Lol, you're just another replaceable cog in the corporate machine.

Both of you are fucking losers, check my stats:
>6'3
>8 inch penis

Do I even need to go on? Settle down now, or I might just fuck your wives

Wrong, if I was easily replaceable they wouldn't be paying me a quarter million a year
Too bad there's only 15 people in the us who work on anything similar to me

This Reddit meme has to die. Why am I from Reddit? What makes one a Redditor? Can we kill the site right now? In fact, I think that people who say that are actually self-loathing ex Redditors who project their own hatred of themselves onto us.

You're bragging about having kids
That is literally the quintessential reddit right there, and proves you aren't from this site gramps

I don't believe you. You're just some retarded troll spouting bullshit. Just some menial tech who has no decision making power (rightfully so)

Okay champ go find me a college that teaches reverse engineering using IDA and undocumented winapi I'll wait

That guy is an asshole but this post is actually correct. Bragging about your SO/hubby/kids is the most reddit thing you could do, short of upvoting a post.
You sound like an angry virgin, go back to /r9k/

>Noone on Sup Forums has kids
Not from this board necessary but fuck any other site. Someday you'll graduate from 2d.

Ok sport keep LARPing

>Except you're a network tech running cables at a local office for Comcast
>Being a sysadmin at a data center isn't impressive champ

Pretty sure that Comcast doesn't have the largest compute cluster in the world, and only makes the news when they fuck their subscribers yet again.

>6'3
>thicc
>9 inch penis
>leader of the free world, $400k/yr
>literally fucked your sister an hour ago
>fly to my private resort on the weekend just to take a break

You couldn't even make it to my wife, since security would force your fat ass to walk up to my 58th floor penthouse suite.
Settle down or I'll be forced to deport you.

>He's RE
>claims to be the hottest shit since sliced bread
OK buddy, I'm anxiously awaiting your latest GTA online money hack.

>I can't refute your argument so i'm just going to say you're pretending!
pathetic

REing is harder than anything you've ever done on a computer
prove me wrong

What argument?
You are literally LARPing. Are you going to send the spine beetles on me, Frank?

don't you have some more servers to go plug in, mario?

>Implying we have wives
user...

>No response
Kill yourself, larper

talk to the stakeholders or board of directories and have him fired.

Sure it's hard, but so is doing 100 pull ups or counting all the grains of sand in a cup.
You came in shitting on OP for being "insignificant" or whatever, and when you get called out it comes down to "yeah but RE is hard!".

You also claimed earlier that you were a developer. Which are you? Or does your fictional company not care about patent laws?

It's an 18 person company they don't have either

Btw I just registered a company and gave myself the title CEO President of the Committee and Technical Director of Technology

Doesn't matter that it's a 1 person company, and honestly, you're just jealous of my title

You have to reverse undocumented structures & functions in winapi to call them my dude

you're literally nothing but the dude to put the blame on when the company turns to worthless dogshit.
it's literally in the job description.

Das it, mane

Would would you need to reverse engineer software? Sounds like your company is doing something illegal.

So do you sniff out 0 days?
Because I really really hope you're not shipping any commercial software that utilizes fucking undocumented winapis.

So you're a turbo-autist. You've established that early on and are jealous of job titles.
We get it, peon.

lol kys man

Nothing is illegal about it, it's just not completely supported
No, I don't do VR, undocumented winapi is pretty reliable, there's a lot of shit hidden that they just don't want exposed to normie end users, i.e. hidden structs in NtQuerySystemInformation which haven't changed in years but provide great info about the system
Read champ, you're speaking to the CEO President of the Committee and Technical Director of Technology of a COMPANY here, no need for envy

OP here.
Ok it seems that my job title is very triggering. I am but a lowly manager of an insignificant IT staff. Not even a manager, but assistant to the regional manager.

I have had some very good advice about keeping the CEO focused on shiny things. He is 100% a SQUIRREL kinda guy. Can we focus on that? Sorry about my lowliness, oh great ones, especially he turbo madman winapi billionaire dude.

Thank you for admitting defeat now I can go to sleep

Well if your shit is really used by 34M systems, I sure hope it's stable.
I'll be fucking triggered if some hotfix removes a undocumented call and causes even the slightest headache.

You do have the 'tism!

MS is pretty good about not removing undocumented calls, they know people use them, and they use them internally themselves

I don't even know what that means but I did manage to save our company over 10,000 a year by setting up an sql server on a Windows 7 pro machine, enabling iis and writing a basic intranet using html, css, sql and php. Sometimes you do what ya gotta do. Works great too, email support, etc, the techs we're my beta testers.

I guess they don't want to support them?
I've never been much of a developer, have risen up through the ops/engineering side of the house. Do know just enough to be dangerous to myself.

>This is what I needed to hear,
You mean what you wanted to hear. You spineless cuck.

Documentation is a lot of work, they do sometimes remove things during major revisions (new os or service packs), so you have to do a decent amount of testing
Some are also recently added, so they won't be supported in xp or Vista, but 7+ will have them
In these cases, you just do version checks and make that code 'optional'

>I have no idea what your problem is other than some inferiority complex.
You do realize that your whine here is about being unable to take disciplinary action against the guy because he is the owner, right? is right, you have a VP title and all those responsibilities but anyone above you messes with your shit, you can't say or do anything at all.