/mdg/ -Mobile Development General

Never seen one of those in here. might as well start one?

Discuss Mobile dev topics, Android, iOS and more are all welcome.

Help post links for beginners and hopefully make this into a permanent sub-forum like /wdg/

Other urls found in this thread:

developereconomics.com/graphs/de11
medium.com/user-camp/why-developers-are-choosing-the-windows-store-2278d2076f0b
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

halp

Second (first non OP post?) for Xamarin forms

Just build ridiculously simple apps or apps completely dependent on web services. Do you have problems?

Plain android is fine too.

>xcode
Sorry sweetpea, not all of us own Apple stuff

So now that we have codenameone and xamarin, why bother with swift and pure java?

I haven't done any serious mobile development since Symbian and WebOS were a thing, so let me ask a few basic questions both for my own benefit and to serve as a mini-FAQ for this thread.
1. Is it worth developing own mobile apps on your own (paid or free with ads)?
2. Is it worth getting into freelance mobile app development? How does this market compare to web dev?
3. iOS or Android? Or maybe Windows 10 Mobile?

My friend is a freelance android dev, he started 3 years ago when he learned it in school, then learned a bit in some company as a first job.

He makes a nice sum of money each month just by freelancing.
I'm currently learning it also along with full stack web, I want to make side money from it(my main job is IT /Information Security)

bump

Have ye hurrd o react native?

Is it any better than Xamarin?

>1. Is it worth developing own mobile apps on your own (paid or free with ads)?
Not much more than doing web dev
>2. Is it worth getting into freelance mobile app development? How does this market compare to web dev?
Depends on how much your country taxes you. Freelance sites suck.
>3. iOS or Android? Or maybe Windows 10 Mobile?
The bux are on iOS. On Android its only worth if you do enterprise development.
developereconomics.com/graphs/de11

>The bux are on iOS. On Android its only worth if you do enterprise development.
So, is there anything to this shilling?
medium.com/user-camp/why-developers-are-choosing-the-windows-store-2278d2076f0b

up

Never mind, the guy himself says in a follow-up article that Windows Phone/10 Mobile is dead. He only recommends developing desktop applications for the Windows Store.

Looks like there just isn't enough interest to maintain a separate /mdg/ thread, OP. Maybe if you got /wdg/ to make a mobile app or two with Cordova first...

Bump. I want to start doing some beginner android stuff. Have basic java knowledge but the android world seems a bit intimidating.

>I want to start
Well, what's stoppin' ya? Do you have any questions?

These threads should be called Streetshitter haven then

read a book nigger

also this

Not yet. Just wanted to express interest in the thread and keep it alive. Also I haven't started yet due to procrastination.

Currently full-time mobile dev working with React Native app.
Both love it and hate it

>hate it
Why?

This thread may be doomed to be abandoned as fuck but anyway...

Does anyone here deals with Android development?

Is there a good list of libraries for Android development? Specially for dealing with the external SD card.

Dealing with some shit in the standard library might be tiresome, even small things like selecting a folder is a pain the ass to implement, most time you have to rely on an specific app to be installed instead.