Why is KDE such bloated trash?

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=782344
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032
fasterland.net/activate-global-menu-kde-plasma-5-9.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's a DE.

It's just werks™ for GNU+Linux

great question OP. I tried it once, it looks pretty and all but still had screen tearing and other issues which I've already fixed in XFCE two years ago.

You're a poorfag who can't afford to fall for the 16 GiB of RAM meme

KDE master race here

It's the best Linux DE

install LXQt

Bad design. It looks like it was put together in 20 minutes and there's no consistency.

Just wait until you try GNOME. A third of the features for twice the bloat.

I switched to KDE after seeing this.

t. Red Hat shill

That's the price of being the best DE. Just use a wm if it bothers you so much.

How do you get that tiling with kwin?

Yep, gnome sucks too.
However at least they found their performance issue.
THEY DO EVERYTHING ON A SINGLE BLOCKING THREAD, WHO DESIGNED THIS SHIT.
Reduce CPU usage while rendering frequently-updating windows:
Mouse Tracking 'Laggy' on Wayland, and mouse movements cause frame drops in other OpenGL applications:
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032

I have no confidence this will get resolved in the next year untils for ubuntu 18.04, so users have a right to shit on GNOME at least until 20.04..

Oh man, thank god i don't run ubuntu, but still its the linux disto the press writes about, what a joke.

Both gnome and kde held us back a decade now because they didn't get their shit together.
Even android has better perfomance on x86.

Also thats such sad, mediocre stufff.. we should be able to design the BASIC RENDERIGNG SHIT MODULAR.

Linux takes design principles from unix.. why the hell is everything so.. bad

>reddit

>they found their performance issue
wait what
is the horrible sluggishness going to be fixed now?

Its a gnome design Issue, they don't even have a plan how to fix it and redesign their stack for non-blocking interactions.

They have a small attempt of a fix in 3.26 but it can't be ported back:
Quote:
"Sorry to crush your hopes :), the patches bringing the most substantial improvements involve quite hairy changes, including an ABI break. I think this is only master material..."

This will improve the situation but i guess it will take at leas 2 years for someone to redisign gnomes internal workings for this. might happen with 4.0, how knows.

Thats why everyone thats rquired to use gnome is happy that all distos ship gnome by default now. They might now have the manpower required to pull this of.

>including an ABI break
so it's a GTK bug?
I thought metacity was responsible for the horrible performance
>"Sorry to crush your hopes :), the patches bringing the most substantial improvements involve quite hairy changes, including an ABI break. I think this is only master material..."
source?

Allready linked:

I want to try kde for a few weeks. Should i install neon or opensuse?

I'm extremely happy with opensuse + kde, been on it full time for a few months now

Why is the tumbleweed iso 4gb? Is it the same if i download netinst?

Not that guy but it's 4gb cause it brings both gnome and kde with it.
Look up gecko linux, it's opensuse but you can choose between KDE or gnome to come along with it.

Thanks

How do you get the window's menu to appear in the panel like that? That would be absolutely neat for my tinybitchscreen laptop.

fasterland.net/activate-global-menu-kde-plasma-5-9.html
Sadly I coudn't get it to work with GTK software like Libreoffice, maybe someone could create a binding using Unity's appmenu-gtk

>no consistency
breeze is the single most consistent and universally available theme there is for mainstream Linux desktops

This could be outdated but a good reference

>plasma 5.9
Guess I'm gonna need to wait for openSUSE to get there. Thanks for the tip though.

What is this graph about?

RAM usage.

which version is tumbleweed at?

>mfw i've been using gnome this whole time

I'm running LEAP 42.2.
I'm aware tumbleweed is already there by a long shot.

I'm sceptical
I bet he as installed his OS on a SSD

Anything seems bloated compared to GNOME

Post wallpaper, please.

kde is literally useless. its only real upside was that it looks nice. even that isn't really saying much, as pic related is xfce with breeze icons and gtk theme, looks essentially the same.

you mean skeptical?

Yes

that's not how you spell adaiwata

aw yes i cant stand KDE with its fisher price UI, and i really like the sexy gnome's design, i hope with ubuntu switching to gnome they'll resolve the performance issues in my lifetime

Why did I scanned it. (And I'm sure that I scanned it a month ago).

>looks essentially the same.
please

Yes. I have. My PC is literal shit otherwise though.

I'm not talking about the theme, it's the design. Take the control panel - wasted space, no format consistency, etc.

Some people prefer file picker bloat and no screen tearing bloat.

I explained it all in the reddit bread. I think I actually posted and explained some of it here first but the bread just died. I'm on a phone so I cba type it all again and/or link to the bread.

>vlc

Ok good to know
That's the reason your DE works so fast and fluent
You could see that affect on nearly any DE so i got somehow triggered about stating out kde as "fast"
I will get a SSD as well but i really enjoy Budgie

Hello Kevin!

Yeah. I wasn't trying to highlight the speed but the fancy features like window decorations on panel, global menu and fake tiling. The amount of clicks and screen space I'm saving vs GNOME is insane.

Why are you such bloated trash ?

>fake tiling
As opposed to what ?

The only people who complain about KDE are either stoneage, petrified neckbeards who can't get over their efficiency memeing and green text on black backgrounds and/or have never used this DE in the last couple years.

I fucking have it installed on a 2005 Seagate 160GB HDD and it works perfectly fine.
Not going back. Even if I could get a 5 seconds quicker bootup with other DEs.
I like it comfy and it also never crashed so far (which surprised me because you faggots kept memeing about KDE crashing all the time).

So either you faggots are full of shit or KDE finally got their shit together and it's really good. Either way, I like it.

Windows being all over the place. You can set default positions and sizes for the programs so even if you move and resize the window it'll be on it's default position you have set again the next time you launch it. No other DE allows this afaik.

F.ex. the webm someone posted of my desktop. If you were to resize the >vlc and shut it down. It'd go back to the position its on the webm when I launch it again.

My point was that this type of tiling isn't any less "real" than automatic tiling.
Tiling is tiling.
You've set it up manually, but it is still tiling.

No shit. You'd be retarded not to.