Summer Cooling advice

Are these expensive Dyson fans worth it?
I have enough coupons for an electronics store over to buy one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5NuvzWaBulw
youtu.be/ELbwD21-r3k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Another option would be pic related for 50 bucks

this is better than any dyson

>device that blows air on you
>5000% premium
>worth it?

Are you even trying user?

Got one of these bad boys running now. Cost £35 and is really good. Picked it up today.

Keeping me and my kid cool

Just buy an air conditioner.

Nothing dyson works as it should. Their vacuums, fans, whatever. It's a nice design, it's costly, but it's finicky and will break on you if you so much as breathe in its general direction.

Don't fall for the marketing. It's all shoddy shit.

Why don't you just open a window?

Why does UK use such absurdly, unnecessarily large plugs?

No, they're extremely inefficient and offer little airflow. It would be better to wait until the patent expires, or 3d print the parts in your own, then add a motor.

Like Apple products.

I do, but there's not much wind at night and it stays hot.

Nobody is going to ask to the ultraviolet sperm on the image?

>literally 8cm fans pushing air through hoops

it's bettter than a regular fan because it has a nice cooler inside of it. if you have the money, it's OK.

best option is AC.

poorfag please. that shit ain't gonna cool you much

>ultraviolet sperm on the image
What about it?

onboard fuse.
enjoy your electrocution.

Why that image has ultraviolet reproductive cells?

Depending on where you live, an evaporative air cooler.

they work great in dry hot areas.

I got a 14K BTU "portable" AC since HOA doesn't allow window ACs here. Cools the room down 10F in about 30 minutes. Central AC is a bit slow and inefficient since the house is big.

does that thing still have a hose running out the window? if yes how is the seal with the window/hose setup, in terms of outside hot air getting in?

That's his kid, don't be mean

Gotta seal the window kit up with insulation adhesive. Here's the inside. Outside uses quite a bit more all along the edges, which is why it's not exactly "portable". Don't notice any change in external heat getting in since the window didn't insulate well to begin with (only single-pane).

Dunno
High powered laser reflected into the camera on my tab and well, y'know...
Cools us fine. I have a toddler that trashes everything so I don't buy expensive stuff for the house.

God damnit

>Cools us fine. I have a toddler that trashes everything so I don't buy expensive stuff for the house.
air alone without a heat exchanger is a shit cooler you retarded monkey.

On closer inspection you are correct. I apologise, it seems that the movement of air contributes nothing to the cooling of human skin. If fact, Anyone who has ever purchased a fan is fooling themselves with placebo effects. Getting ready for my lawsuit! This gonna be good.

What shitholes do you people live in that you don't have central air conditioning?

buy and industrial fan or a cooling fan desu

England is the land of the fan. A 3 day summer does not warrant £1000 of ac

19th century apartment in vienna

It's unfortunate that regulations and 'safety' killed off the portable split-systems, those pictures units are loud as all hell.

>Go to England
>houses still don't have ceiling fans

Land of the fan my ass, you don't even fucking have any.

Same with ac, it's never hot enough to warrant permanent cooling fixtures.

Land of the panic buy a 9.99 desk fan then throw it out mid August

Which is retarded, get some ceiling fans you mongs.
You know they have a reverse/winter function right, so in the winter they help recirculate hot air trapped near the ceiling...

I had one of these, it was loud as all fuck. It was impossible to listen to anything on speakers in the same room without turning up the volume to ridiculous levels and I had to listen loud as fuck even with headphones, it was basically unusable due to the noise alone, though it did the job as far as cooling goes.

I had a split system installed instead, it does the same job while being almost inaudible. Don't have to worry about emptying the condensation either.

>in the winter they help recirculate hot air trapped near the ceiling.

Does that actually work?

yeah just 3d print the parts

shut the fuck up retard

>Don't have to worry about emptying the condensation either.

I've had my mobile AC for almost 10 years now and I have never emptied the condensation reservoir.....is this bad?

>how is the seal with the window/hose setup, in terms of outside hot air getting in?

It doesn't matter.

Outside air will always find a way in at the exact same rate as you're exhausting the air.
If it didn't you would be creating a vacuum.

It's one of the major drawbacks of non-split AC units.

shitholes that have free public healthcare, education, builtin surge protection by default, etc and no reason to use AC.
are ACs even common anywhere outside of the USA ?

- fuse included
- safety measure against ripping off one part of the wire and getting electrocuted
So basically nothing that isn't solved by better plug design and better home grids (or whatever your local circuit/fuse panel system is called) in other locations.

Is this idea not retarded?

youtube.com/watch?v=5NuvzWaBulw

>are ACs even common anywhere outside of the USA ?
in other third world countries like turkey.

I'm considering mounting on of these above my stair case, my AC system is retarded, no amount of fucking with the vents pushes the cold air downstairs, and downstairs hears up due to a sliding door.

I don't know, maybe there's type which doesn't have one or handles it differently? I have no idea how though, humidity will condense on cold shit. I imagine if you used it for 10 years it would just overflow at some point or something, I haven't really used mine enough to know though, it was just too loud for me.

Most have auto dehumidifiers of some degree that evaporate liquid through the hose. You're supposed to empty the water at the end of the season for storage but it's not an issue if you always use it.

The UK system was developed when there was a shortage of copper. (IIRC they were is some war again)

It saves on copper at the expense of safety.
Then they add safety features to the plug to compensate for the lack of safety.

I should really try this. Wonder how much I could do it for.

I only have a month left at my current place until I can move somewhere with an AC, so I'm really just trying to get by

This has inspired me.

I got a portable AC recently and just wadded up towels to seal crack in the window that the exhaust hose was sticking out of.

But just now I copied your setup by using some cardboard and then wadding up the same towel around for good measure.

How do you thirld world guys not have central AC? The temperature never reaches above 30°c here but I still have AC since it helps me sleep at night

>Wonder how much I could do it for.

Probably keep your head cool and not much else.

It won't do more for the room temperature than just letting the bags of ice melt around you.

I have a mobile AC unit in the bedroom for that purpose.

On hot days I switch it on about an hour before I go to bed.
And on extremely hot days I will shitpost from my bedroom instead of from the living room.

No need to cool the entire house.

You also have to keep in mind that home isolation is much better in Europe than it is in America.
So even on hot days our homes stay relatively cool.

My store has a cooling display, with fans set to high to grab attention. I walked by one time and thought "goddamn that Dyson moves some air". Nope, it was this bad motherfucker right here.

I bought a big fan hoping it would be quiet at the lowest setting.
But even at the lowest setting it's loud as fuck.

So now I want to add a dimmer to reduce rpm by about 50%.
What kind of dimmer (if any) would be suitable for a fan motor?

pic related: what my fan sounds like at full power.

Nope. Everything Dyson makes is literally a meme designed to make normies overpay for cool design. The best appliance in the store is never Dyson, even though it may be the most expensive.

Everytime some normie asks me if they should by a Dyson I sell them a Shark instead. Shark makes some great fucking vacuums.

>Are these expensive Dyson fans worth it?
nope. get a big, sturdy fan which moves the air in the whole room. costs less, does more.

youtu.be/ELbwD21-r3k

For those that dont want to fuck with a fan and ice bags

>are ACs even common anywhere outside of the USA ?
go to rio

My mom bought one of their hand vacuums. It has slightly better suction than a dust buster, but it makes 10 times as much noise.

How to kill yourself with legionnaires disease in 1 easy step.

Can confirm. I've never felt so envangelical about a household cleaning device.

How much power does it eat?

Stop being autistic and go with a fan that's made for men

>motherfuckers run till they die
>screws for easy access to cleaning and repairing
>handle can withstand some ogre strength
>cord is long enough (no bully)
>4 different set speeds

and it's only $17

That's just the Aurora Borealis

you fucking tard, how much electricity do you think that will use running continuously?

in comparison, a Dyson is one of the most energy efficient fans on the market

>It doesn't matter.

What the fuck dude, do you think AC is a magical box that generates cold air? There is a circuit in a AC, one with a pump and two radiators, one radiator serves to "expel" heat the other one to "expel" cold, and the pump also generates heat because its a fucking electrical pump.

If you're not pushing that heat outside, it stays inside, and you will NOT cool any room, if you're generating more heat than cold air.

a dyson uses under 10 watts per hour for the first 6 settings and under 20 watts for 6-10.

this fan is 3-5 times more efficient than the closest competitor

I spend 120 bucks on a tower called skypscraper g3 or so, don't know the brand. Basically just several fan speed options, 360° turning capabilities and has a easily removable and cleanable filter in it to collect dust and other particles, if you might be allergic.

Especially the "night function" is nice where you get some air flow without any noise coming from the machine. Bought the big version for the room/sleeping and a smaller one sitting on the table.

First I thought upgrading and spending so much money on a device blowing air is not worth it but It really feels nicer compared to shit 30 bucks cheap shit and it collects lots of dust for me.

>using an AC is worsening the root cause of the abnormal heat in the first place
Really fires up the neurons.

I have two of varying qualities.

One is so strong it'll levitate if you're not careful on how you move it or if you turn it up too high.

10/10 best $50 ever.

Get a Vornado if you want maximum air pushage

No. Overpriced bullshit. Yeah the work, but a normal fan is better and cheaper

We have one that was advertised as "quiet" but it's only not noticeable on the 3rd setting. Anything above it sounds like a jet engine, and everything below it feels like a child blowing on you with a straw

/thread

After five years they seem to turn into dust though. Definitely have contrived durability, but they're great while they last.

>have a portable AC
>cools down one room at the expense of warming up the rest of the house because it's constantly pumping air out of that room
Are there portable split AC units? Or even ones with an outside air intake so it doesn't pump air out of the house?

It's powered over USB so like 10W max?

My friends aren't smart

>10 watts per hour
>watts
>per hour

Get window AC, cheaper but difficult to maintain.
Training fingers on keyboard doesn't build up arm strength to lift AC.

get an air conditioner / swamp cooler

>swamp cooler
Bad idea, damp air will cause dust to turn into mud, which is a very bad idea if you have electronics in the room.

Only in about the whole of South-East Asia.

>this fan is 3-5 times more efficient than the closest competitor
And 5 to 10 times as expensive.

Good for dry desert climates

It says 10W on the box, you mong

the fuck

They're so fucking poor they can't afford properly wiring their houses so every single fucking thing is in a single loop without a breakerbox. And since no breakerbox is a safety/fire hazard all their electrical equipment comes with a separate replaceable fuse in the plug.

will it make my 'air soft, smooth and glossy?

How do we know they all push the same volume of air per second in the same setting?
In fact having their setting as a variable is retarded as fuck, every manufacturer could make it so each setting scales different

At least our plugs don't fall out the wall with just a little tug.

In the US, we use 110 on our power outlets. In the U.K. , it's 220, which is considered to be more efficient.

Not my fault you're too fucking lazy to do design work and craftmanship.

germany uses 230V as well and the plugs aren't that large.

UK plugs are large because they have old, shitty wiring, so all the device sides have a fuse within the plug to reduce fire risk