How do I learn fortran?

How do I learn fortran?
Why would someone learn fortran?

I was in a plane from Bucharest to Istanbul, the old romanian dude that was with me said he was working in Fortran and was flying to Iraq because he got paid 7 figures to do that there. Businesses value it extremely much apparently since people hate change

there are a few areas where fortran is still heavily used, some of which are on legacy machines obviously which mostly use fortran 77 but the fortran language itself is still actively developed and used in the scientific community a lot, finance, high performance computing, fluid dynamics, these all are still dominated by fortran

change is costly.

it's not that people hate change user, it's just that fortran is extremely well suited to its purpose, and there is no reason for change

why change when fortran works and works well?

not 7 figures per year though for sure
i think the business are just too afraid / dont want to learn how to use a new system

I'm mildly surprised there is any busienss in Iraq that could afford to pay a programmer 7 figures desu

Python is based on Fortran.

Google is programmed in Python, knowing Python will help in cheesing 'search engine optimization' a bit, even though you need more experience in JavaScript, CSS and HTML

You'll find better tutorials for Python since its more popular, it's easier to grasp Fortran you know Python.

Fortran is a 'specialty' language, meant for numeric and scientific computation, the reason it hasn't seen much of an 'update' is because there aren't too many issues with it in the first place, its perfect for what it's meant for.

could just be 7 figures in Iraqi currency. Still must be a good amount of money, just nowhere close a mil.

it is when you have to rewrite the codebase to appeal to your employee's wishes, and fail miserably to do so, being forced to roll back to the old codebase in order to keep the business running.
change IS costly.

meteorological and climate models are simulated using fortran because it's a proven language and compilers generate well optimized code, unlike your shitty meme languages like Ruby, Python, Scala, Haskell or JavaScript

So how would someone go about learning to use it

also why would someone learn common lisp? its uses seems to be academic so far.

Online tutorials. I'd recommend learning Python first, there's some amazing Python tutorials written by talented teachers, you'll spend less overall time doing Python —> Fortran, than you will learning Fortran from scratch.

idk, the only person i know of who knows fortran is my mother. she learned it in college back in the 70s to simplify her computer use

oil company

subsidies

what did your mom do with her life

she switched majors from math to bio in senior year, making her programming knowledge useless but whatever she works in regulatory affairs for a biotech company and makes a lot of money

post pics

don't learn fortran if you don't have a background in programming to begin with

The guy is Romanian flying to Iraq
I doubt he would be talking about Iraqi currency

Why the fuck would you learn something like Fortran without any consideration carrer-wise? AFAIK Fortran is used for large scale numeric computations such as the ones that you encounter in climate studies, material modeling and molecular dynamics, but that is mostly research-oriented.

Wait a minute, I used to develop in Fortran77 many years ago, are you telling me there are still people that will pay for that???

if you work for a bank.
i went to a bank for an interview.
they ask me how fast can i learn fortran.
said, no idea lol.

>Why the fuck would you learn something like Fortran without any consideration carrer-wise?

It's exactly for career reasons that I'm considering it, for the very reasons you listed

Consider the following:
Average phython user: faggot in a third world shithole, destined to be a code monkey
Average fortran user: intelligent scientist, develops programs to help humans understand the world

Average income of phython user: 47k rupees / yr
Average income of fortran computer scientist: 300k / yr starting

Do you see why I would rather learn fortran

The fundamental issue, so I'm told, is that it doesn't have the same problem with C/C++ pointer aliasing, and therefore automatic optimisation passes in the compiler can generate faster code in many circumstances than C/C++.

For this reason, it's still heavily used in sciences, where it's used for processing large bulk data and simulations.

yes, go for it.
less competition, your best bet is working for banks.

I've got a cousin doing astronomical simulations for his PHD and all their code is in Fortran

>go to bureau of labor statistics for informational interview
>plenty of empty offices waiting for full time employees with benefits and a 401k
>meet head computational scientist and economist of that office space
>"Do you know Fortran? If you know that, you got a job here ASAP."

FUCK, how would I even prove that I have Fortran experience? What am I going to do? The only way you'll get recognizable experience is to get that job.

"Modern Fortran in Practice" by Arjen Markus is the best book to learn Fortran from.

Before there was C, Fortran was the defacto systems language. Fortran is still faster than C.

that sounds like a cool place to work

Fortran isn't heavily used in the social sciences is it? Why would they want it

FORTRAN is not very good for dealing with strings and more complex data types, but handles numerics very well. It also (used) to have the more mature OpenMP, threading, and MPI implementations, now C parity is pretty much there.

Pointer aliasing was the main reason FORTRAN has superior performance - to elucidate, FORTRAN doesn't strictly use pointers, so compilers simply assumes that you cannot edit overlapping memory regions, which can be unsafe. C doesn't assume this static nature and therefore forces a memory call again which is slower. There's also compiler tricks which have to work around this concept (it's a feature, not an issue per se) which also slows things down, but to emulate their performances you can just use set a compiler flag or use the restrict keyword.

At the lower level, such as linear algebra libraries and routines, Fourier Transform libraries, etc. are written in FORTRAN, C, and some asm and then passed to programs, including C and higher level languages like Python+Numpy or Julia. This is how they keep abstract languages just as performant.

can I make an iPhone game in fortran

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes, if the game is called "iPhone Cluster for Molecular Dynamics" then sure

language is used in a lot of physical sciences