Should I learn French in France or Canada, what's the difference anyway?

Should I learn French in France or Canada, what's the difference anyway?

I have been to France alot so Canada would be a new experience but I'm worried about how Quebecois French is received in France. Is it as bad as American English?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qYm83H5TOMM
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_de_français_international
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Français_langue_étrangère#Dipl.C3.B4mes_et_tests_de_langue_pour_.C3.A9trangers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not a real difference, except for the accent, and some expressions. Learn it where you want.

are you a girl? this is important; please respond

>Is it as bad as American English?
Ha ha, no.

Apparently people with Qubecois accents sound like ducks but I can't really tell the difference, they are treated really badly in France.

No, are you that Canuck that keeps posting about that Sup Forums girlfriend that left you?

No way really?

>they are treated really badly in France
Wow, guy. Absolutely not. You are misinformed, apparently. Or it's a cliché, but very not true.

Canadian french sounds retarded and pleb af, it's a bit like comparing RP British English with what American rednecks speak

Go to Belgium

>No, are you that Canuck that keeps posting about that Sup Forums girlfriend that left you?
no

but do you have a feminine penis?

:'(

>Belgium
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAAHA

It's pretty hairy if I don't shave, haven't done that in a while, I have no idea what you with feminine penis though

Quebecois accent is less effeminate, at least compared to Parisian, and the people in Quebec are friendlier. Also no Musulmans.

Hmm, sorry bru. It was just for the metaphor.

Don't worry burger, atleast you can still eat pork

T. René-Céline Ducaribou

I'm a normand, am I effeminate and not friendly?

Maybe I am misinformed, it's just what my bf told me, he speaks french.

>the people in Quebec are friendlier

hahhahhehahahhauhauheuhauhauhahahhahahahuhuhfdsuihdushaihauhadhahahkfuhasbhabfahhabahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahahahhahahscbshabchsabcbsajcbahahbahahheyuheuhauehuaheuhauehauheuahklkauheuahueahueaheuaheauhauahahahuhalkakuhakueaheuhauhauhauhauhahoauoaauoaaoauhahahuahhahahahahahhahahahahauhauhauhauhzzazhacahcuahvhauhvavuhahvuahauhauhauahuahxaxaxaxaxxaxaxaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxaxhauhauahuahahxaxhauxhauhxauhxauhihiuahehuehuaehuheuaheuhaeuahldkuhalkvuhdsakhvdusavjdsnajduahuahuahahahhahahahhhaha

I do not speak southern or some other regional dialcect of American English though. I speak General American English, which is pretty much what you hear in every American movie.

Your bf's gay

dialect*

Just banter, lad. Murrican English is not so bad, don't worry.

It just sounds like your mouth is broken.

I really suck at asking questions in French. Please help me learn by asking me questions.

Wtf do people really consider learning Canadian French? Why?
No offense but even learning French in Africa will give you less trouble being understood by other French speakers.

Je suis désolé, Normans sont bro-tier.

Care to elaborate?
What makes it so hard for you to understand?

Well, I feel, bad, I was just kidding, bro.(call me effeminate know)

>What makes it so hard for you to understand?
inbreeding?

>Canadian """French"""
>American """"""""""""English""""""""""""
>Mexican """"""Spanish""""""
>Brazilian ""Portuguese""

It is all right. Do not feel bad. In a way it just proves I am effeminate too; I take every insult by French people very personally because I judge myself based on how they perceive me.

>Irish """"""""""""Gaelic""""""""""""

Que-est que le teste pour les orateours etrangers?

>sound like ducks

Well I wouldn't be able to tell exactly, but obviously the idioms and expressions are quite different, as well as the way they contract words and pronounce certain sounds, to the point Canadian shows tend to be subtitled on TV. Africans on the other hand articulate way more.

For people who know french how hard was it to learn?Is it easy for english speakers?

French Candian sound very weird to any French speaker which isn't French Canadian.
Any other French speaking country will give you something more like what all the other countries speak.

You should go to fr/ for that M8

youtube.com/watch?v=qYm83H5TOMM
Here's a video explaining some of those differences, just auto-translate the subtitles.

I thought that was a meme until i was watching some tv drama from quebec and the french french subtitles we're pretty different to what was being said

>I take every insult by French people very personally because I judge myself based on how they perceive me.
Well, understand what you say (just replace "french" with anybody else).

You got some deep emotions so you're not so American after all.
He he.

Ok, bad joke.

It's fucking easy. Really easy. I love it. I started three weeks ago and I'm reading Tintin atm. Les Cigares de Pharoh.

One thing, though. If you're using Duolingo, don't burn through it like prime weed. Let it sit. Take the exams, practice, and give it time before moving to another subject.

The accent is reaaally twisted sometimes
There are some words and expressions that aren't used (anymore) in French but once you know them it's ok, but the accent has really nothing to do with the French one. Don't expect to have a regular French prononciation if you learn it in Québec. Well you'll still know French so that's nice, but I think it's even different than American English/British Eglish

There must be tests administrated all over the world that helps people test their knowledge of French. I can't get into France.

Why so mean against Québecbros?

>I can't get into France
Why? atheists are generally wellcomed in france.

Will everyone laugh at you if you can't do the R properly

neat

Trust me, you are a fine fellow. Most people on this website have reached a point where they feel no remorse and would never even consider feeling bad or apologising. You still have morals and empathy.

We are still humans, fortunately, but I think that this website will corrupt every user sooner or later.

he means money wise fagget

C'est dificile. Si je aller a France je aller pour assez.

Besides my French sucks. I need to learn it properly... There has to be a test. I need to find out. Like TOEFL or IELTS.

>We are still humans, fortunately, but I think that this website will corrupt every user sooner or later.

Yeah most of us legitimately don't understand Canadian French unless they make efforts. Funny thing is, they don't seem to have so much trouble understanding us.

Ne pas insulter ton compatriot m'compte.

In all honesty I've been here for 6 years and haven't really changed at all, Sup Forums is pretty bad I barely go there.

Aucune idée de ce que t'essayes de dire.

We all feel, it's just that we can't show it because it's quickly labeled as "reddit tier.

But I agree that sometimes it's good to speak a bit more deep. (sry for my shitty English, btw).

I've been browsing Sup Forums for a year though, I don't know how long this place has existed

Je vois, me comprends tu ?

Ou apprends tu?

Honestly kicking myself now that I didn't learn French and visit New Caledonia, etc. more often

>Also no Musulmans.

Is there a test for foreign speakers of French, like TOEFL and IELTS are for foreign speakers of English?

I know I know my French is worse than my English. But I've just started two weeks ago. I'm self-studying using Duolingo and Memrise, I'm planning to move on to Micheal Thomas soon after I'm finished with Duolingo.

I agree. I feel like Sup Forums would be a better place if people tried to be nicer and tried to be more sympathetic.

French posters are usually the nicest though, so I plan to just hang around the French general if I can ever manage to learn French well.

And do not worry, your English is great, far far better than my French :)

Québécois preserved the French language better.

They speak Franglais in France now.

>They speak Franglais in France now
Qu'est ce que tu fucking racontes, motherfucker?

arreter le parle

Jej

As opposed to what? That drivel spoken by the Scots we colonised?

"One characteristic of major sociological importance distinguishing Quebec French from European French is the relatively greater number of borrowings from English, especially in the informal spoken language.[28] In contrast, Quebecers show a stronger aversion to the use of anglicisms in formal contexts than do European francophones, largely because of what the influence of English on their language is held to reveal about the historically superior position of anglophones in Canadian society.[29] According to Cajolet-Laganière and Martel,[30] out of 4,216 "criticized borrowings from English" in Quebec French that they were able to identify, some 93% have "extremely low frequency" and 60% are obsolete.[31] Despite this, the prevalence of anglicisms in Quebec French has often been exaggerated. French spoken with a number of anglicisms viewed as excessive may be disparagingly termed franglais ("Frenglish"). According to Chantal Bouchard, "While the language spoken in Quebec did indeed gradually accumulate borrowings from English [between 1850 and 1960], it did not change to such an extent as to justify the extraordinarily negative discourse about it between 1940 and 1960. It is instead in the loss of social position suffered by a large proportion of Francophones since the end of the 19th century that one must seek the principal source of this degrading perception."[32]

It wasn't sarcastic, mate. I just asked you some questions :^)

Honestly, good luck with your studies. French is not an easy language... (even for the french themselves, sometimes).

What country are you more interested in?

>Micheal Thomas

is the michel thomas method a meme or not

kek
cuckbec btfo

I find their French even worse in that aspect, sure they translate a lot of things we don't in France but our English words are often here because we didn't have a French one for it before. Whereas they just use absolutely unecessary ones that already have a French equivalent
And for the meme "Québécois is the same French that was spoken 300y.o" it's pretty dumb, languages evolve in so many years, it just didn't take the same road regular French did

>your English is great
Ha ha, thank you, but I must work (a lot).

Writing is easier than speaking... And even my written English Isn't good.

Well, anyway,
You seems to be a nice guy.
If you go on the /fr/ general, don't except
nice guys (there is some, I guess, but it's still Sup Forums).

People here, aren't generally nice Tbh, my fellow Murrican guy :^)
(but I guess you already know it)
Well, don't be disappointed.

>don't except
Expect*
Hmph, sorry.

Yeah probably, there's like the DILF or the TFI, just check it out on the Internet
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_de_français_international
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Français_langue_étrangère#Dipl.C3.B4mes_et_tests_de_langue_pour_.C3.A9trangers

delete this mon ostie

Is that a poem
Some sort of haiku
Cause it looks so

>the meme "Québécois is the same French that was spoken 300y.o"

what is it with north americans and claiming they preserve/speak the "original" language?
Americans do the same but only about accents really

All right, thank you for the warning. Would you say that people in France (in real life) are generally nice? And how do they treat Americans?

And by the way, do not worry about your spoken English. Everyone here loves French accents.

>anglo
>culture

In American English's defence though, it is lexically and phonologically closer to the English spoken around the 1600-1700s.

>lexically
You mean back when most people had no access to education?

I didn't think you're being sarcastic.

Lower class people do tend to use a smaller range of vocabulary, but in modern times this is the same in the UK and in the US. Educated speakers from both countries use and understand pretty much an identical amount of vocabulary, but American English uses a few terms that are outdated today in the UK.

>Would you say that people in France (in real life) are generally nice?
Well, generally, yes. Some of them are stupid though. I guess it's like in other countries(yeah, it's an evasive answer, but I know) .

>how do they treat Americans?
Frankly, better than you Americans, thought.
I'm pretty sure that there is more US people who hates french people than the opposite.

Except in Paris, and big touristic places, you will treated good... (Even french tourists, like me, are badly treated in Paris. The capitale. It's a shame Tbh).

But go in my little city, all the people would be happy to welcomes a Murrican :)

Where are you from, in the US?

Oh well, my bad.
Where do you learn french, in Iran?
(college, internet...?)

And, hum, why?

>I'm pretty sure that there is more US people who hates french people than the opposite.
Although some people may dislike French people (because they are ignorant of how they actually are), most people I know like France. If you ever visited here, I am sure people would treat you well because of your exotic status as a foreigner. Plus, like I said, we like French accents :)

>Where are you from, in the US?
Pennsylvania, which is a state in the North East.

t'es pédé?

Probably not, but you should definitely make the effort, it's not that hard.
I feel like not pronouncing the R letter properly is a dead giveaway in every language 2bh.

Iran has shitty education. They don't teach us foreign languages. Just some basic English. I'm using the internet to learn French, just like how I became fluent in English by years of watching American movies and TV shows.

Well, I hate being an Iranian and I get far away from Iran as much as possible. That's why I'm learning French.

Je suis bisexualle. Je vient d'avoir un sex reve avec Cobie Smulders.

Why not go to a country where it's easier to immigrate? French is definitely not the best choice.

>If you ever visited here, I am sure people would treat you well because of your exotic status as a foreigner. Plus, like I said, we like French accents :)

I can say the exact same thing about North American people.

And hum...
It's hard to admit it but, you know, Murrican accent is pretty sexy.
Girls here will just melt down if you say something in french.

>Pennsylvania, which is a state in the North East.
Well ok, I can see it on internet. Pretty big state.

>I hate being an Iranian
Man, why?
Well, you can go to france I guess, but you know it's more complicated than it seems...

Honestly, you seems to just want to speak french, and integrated a "free" world. We need
more guys like you.

Like where? Compared to the US and Canada France is easy to get into. It's not as easy as Germany, though, that's why it's a challenge to get in. That means immigrants are treated better since there's only 17,000 Iranians in France. Whilst there's over 1 million Iranians in Germany. People see Iranians and hate them, and hate me in return. France is better in this aspect. Plus it's going to be easy since I'm going to study CS in a French university before attempting to apply for immigration.

Let's just say Iranians kill their daughter for flashing skin.

I know France is hard to get into, that's why it's a challenge and henceforth, immigrants are treated better. I'm going to get my Associate's in Iran and then my Bsc's in France or Belgium, then apply for immigration in either of these countries and therefore increasing my chance of approval.

I'm kinda already integrated within the Western culture. All that's left is a few etiquettes and getting to know the drinking culture.

Yeah, Pennsylvania has a lot of different types of areas and people. I live in a semi-rural area called Lancaster. Where are you from in France?

>getting to know the drinking culture
Hmm, you know it's not an absolute necessity.

>120,000 Km2
Yes, it's pretty big.

>I live in a semi-rural area
Well I live in a semi rural area too, a little town called Freneuse. It's between "normandie" and "ile de france" departements( it's nearly on the border).