So i want a PC in a stick to be portable and slowly let go of my old desktop

So i want a PC in a stick to be portable and slowly let go of my old desktop.
I mostly play old games like SH Crusader, surf the web and torrent ebooks/other stuff.
Does somebody have experience here with one? What are the speeds, does it feel very different from a normal desktop? Can you work with data like photos and videos fine or does it freeze up when copying something around? Does it work wirh hdmi-dvi adapter?

I can buy the m5 one used for 100€ but i wanted the opinions from Sup Forums

Make sure you get one with sufficient cooling (usually has a fan in it) or it will probably throttle.

Btw im on a i3 2100 wirh 4GB ram and ssd and a gtx750ti gpu.

So if its slower i wont mind

just a get a thinkpad

they have screens, keyboards, and mice all built into one package, pretty cool

I thought they dont have active cooling?

I also dont want a laptop. Thats the thing, i want to take it with my in my poket. Mouse and keyboard i can use my phone for it, unified remote is quite good.

Look into GPD pocket (pic related). There's a windows and an Ubuntu edition. It's much more powerful than the compute sticks. Plus, it comes with a keyboard and a nipple mouse so no phone or TV required.

Some do.

>What are the speeds, does it feel very different from a normal desktop?

Very slow in comparison. The drive is slower than a HDD, the CPU is terrible, the ram is slow and small. For old 2d games it works well. Multitasking is just slow.

>Can you work with data like photos and videos fine or does it freeze up when copying something around?

Just copying files is fine, it will be slow because of the slow storage and limited ports, it obviously wont be optimal. Editing pics or vids is slooow.

>I also don't want a laptop.
Why? Are you seriously considering a TV+comupte stick+phone as remote as a usable computing experience? It's horrible. It's only good enough for movies or having to use a x86 exclusive application very briefly.

Just get a light laptop and have it in your bag.

>security notch
wat

can it run Linux ?

Why would you want such a piece of shit? Those are made for people who are always traveling and need a way to keep their data in a small factor, like a business man.

>It's much more powerful than the compute sticks.
An absolute LIE. GDP "viral marketers" have been on here before so im not surprised.

It's an atom machine and a overpriced one. It's weak compared to decent laptops and It's even weaker than the best compute sticks, see pic.

>Those are made for people who are always traveling and need a way to keep their data in a small factor, like a business man.

Then you can carry a USB drive... Most businessmen have a laptop for work anyways.

There are versions with Ubuntu on them

sounds dumb as hell

and what happens if there's not enough room for your stupid stick to plug into whatever tv/monitor you find

>unironically using cpuboss

Storage is terrible, and they run hot as fuck. Performance is also not that good.

>Atom faster than Core M
Since when you dumbfuck?

>$500 for a tiny, slow piece of shit tablet with a keyboard
>not spending less on a fast as fuck tablet and separate keyboard & carry case and pocketing the difference

why not just connect your phone to a screen?

Go ahead and post something better.

That doesn't look like actual stupidity to me, just a blatant lie.

Serious question
How do those things even work? do you just plug them in and voila! you get more computing power? Would they work on laptops?

It's a full computer, in the shape of a HDMI stick. You don't plug it into a computer, you plug them into a monitor/TV.

If you don't mind cross posting from a /toy/ user here with an older/ancient PC as well, do own the ICS Atom-Z8330 model. It's okay as a backup, but I eventually wanna just build something from scratch proper.

Also, while I did briefly get to play with the M3 and M5 models a friend was issued in a pilot program for the work fliers. Even these are limited, as honestly the portability isn't all there with these.

>I mostly play old games like SH Crusader, surf the web and torrent eBooks/other stuff.

Generally light browsing and operating like that would be just okay on my ICS Z8330, and got something old like 'Metal Fatigue' to run good on it.

>Can you work with data like photos and videos fine or does it freeze up when copying something around? Does it work with a HDMI-DVI adapter?

Playing and displaying them will work fine on the ICS Z8330. Editing though, photos/images can work though will be a slow(crawl) effort on Photoshop; videos forget it. Even the M5 will be pretty slow still for video creation.
Adapter I only ever tried once I think with my ICS Z8330, worked though if I remember correctly.

Personally while the experience, aside from one thing; has generally been okay. I'd still say you might be better getting a laptop for now, and hoping they get things right with the upcoming Compute Cards.

If you don't mind cross posting from a /toy/ user here with an older/ancient PC as well, do own the ICS Atom-Z8330 model. It's okay as a backup, but I eventually wanna just build something from scratch proper.

Also, while I did briefly get to play with the M3 and M5 models a friend was issued in a pilot program for the work fliers. Even these are limited, as honestly the portability isn't all there with these.

>I mostly play old games like SH Crusader, surf the web and torrent eBooks/other stuff.

Generally light browsing and operating like that would be just okay on my ICS Z8330, and got something old like 'Metal Fatigue' to run good on it.

>Can you work with data like photos and videos fine or does it freeze up when copying something around? Does it work with a HDMI-DVI adapter?

Playing and displaying them will work fine on the ICS Z8330. Editing though, photos/images can work though will be a slow(crawl) effort on Photoshop; videos forget it. Even the M5 will be pretty slow still for video creation.
Adapter I only ever tried once I think with my ICS Z8330, worked though if I remember correctly.

Personally while the experience, aside from one thing; has generally been okay. I'd still say you might be better getting a laptop for now, and hoping they get things right with the upcoming Compute Cards.

alternative sec is running from a level 4 compliant with ssh yubikey touch presence

Get a beefy phone/tablet with HDMI out?

Nvidia Shield for example will run anything pretty well, and with a bt mouse/kb (or one of those micro, television remote sized kb+touchpad combos) would be a good substitute for a laptop.

>Nvidia Shield for example will run anything pretty well
...But it doesnt run PC applications, to that's a different usecase.

I always remember hearing about the Kangeroo ones. I've heard they're bretty good.

Most of these really compact ones (which you want) are going to use eMMC which you're going to notice sooner than later when they choke up on you.

Understand the limitations on these devices and you won't be dissappointed. Don't go in expecting something high powered.

Some other things I thought I should mention:

- USB Type-C data/power cable Intel provides for the Core Ms is thick gauge(think the wire coming out of a power bar), and you're stuck with it to get the ICS to work. MAYBE there is now new cables that might work, but any other thin data/power combo cable we tried(Feb '17); didn't work or data transmission was dropped.
- Thermals is an issue, my Z8330 was extremely during setup, and still runs very warm today.
Peripherals like flash drives will up that even more while connected(and will get almost very hot at the connector.) Core Ms thankfully can just connect a hub a USB on the power brick, and avoid using the the stick's USB 3 port.
- Hope the current 'Creator's Update' doesn't accidentally get pushed down to your M5(if you get it), happened to my Z8330; and it slowed down most of the system(leaving 'Game Mode' on was a bit worse of a slow down). Blue screened from programs like pic-related, until I found 1607's iso and restarted from that.

not op but thanks for the hands on info