/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

If you want help:
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA).
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate.
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?

CPUs:
>G4560 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - if you can't afford better or specifically need 8 threads but not a very powerful CPU
>R5 1500x - All you really need for 60fps with power to spare; Don’t get an i5.
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; Get a 1600x if you don't OC

>R7/Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/mixed use; Not required for just gaming.

GPUs:
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>RX 560 and GTX 1050Ti - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games
>RX570 - 1080p@60hz at high, running most maxed older games at 144+hz.
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@60hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; Go for the RX580 if you can.
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@144hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p.
>GTX 1080 Ti - 1440p@144 hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games; You're kind of going overboard with this one.
>AMD GPUs are suffering a lack of stock and Nvidia a rise in price thanks to e-currency miners

RAM
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM

General:
>ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
>Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
>NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
>The Ryzen lineup comes with exceptionally good stock coolers. (with the exception of the 1600X) consider using them over any sub 35USD cooler.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/RTyWsJ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LfnpvV
amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/Palit-GeForce-JetStream-Express-Graphics/B01GVN4LFO/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498446906&sr=1-6&keywords=1070
pccasegear.com/products/18067/asus-pce-n15-wireless-n-pcie-adaptor
pcpartpicker.com/list/s9PfLD
uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/padraigkayto/saved/yBYvK8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/padraigkayto/saved/tHL8dC
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no 7700k on CPUs lmao, good one

I'll post this again in the new thread:
pcpartpicker.com/list/RTyWsJ

Any ways to improve my performance?

Anyone have a motherboard recommendation or just changes to make? I want to keep this below $1300 CAD, and don't need a case, keyboard, mouse, fans, or monitor. It's my first desktop build after using laptops for a decade

Shit, forgot link
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LfnpvV

OP deleted 7700k from the original post.

Make a new post. Do it over again. And right this time.

If/when the mining bubble bursts, would there be any reason to buy one of those poor cards that toiled in the mines?

Wouldn't mind a super cheap rx580 as backup to my 1060.

My miners falls to like 40c at night. I bet that's cooler than your idle temps.

Need new graphics card for occasional gaming with a 2560x1080 60Hz monitor. I want to get at least 3 years of life out of it. 1060-6Gb the best option?

Wait for Vega :^)

If I would by parts by interval, should I buy case first and gpu/cpu/mobos last?

How long? Don't want to wait matter of months.

>1070
>Blower style
>$539
Wouldnt it be cheaper to import this one amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/Palit-GeForce-JetStream-Express-Graphics/B01GVN4LFO/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1498446906&sr=1-6&keywords=1070 ?
Also for a mobo I would recommend the Asus PRIME B350-PLUS if you go ATX or the ASRock AB350M Pro4 for mATX. All the B350 ATX mobos are good (except for maybe the Gigabyte ones) so choose whichever you like the most.

cry about it shill

Do network cards need to have supporting OS to function? I'm looking at getting a cheap card like pccasegear.com/products/18067/asus-pce-n15-wireless-n-pcie-adaptor would this work on Windows 10 on a B350M mobo?

You might need to replace the fans but there should be no issue with the chip itself since they run it at temperatures lower than normal people.

I'm planning on buying an ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard and Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD (item no. MZ-V6E500BW). On ASRock's website where it shows a list of the motherboard's supported storage modules, it shows that MZ-V6E250 is supported. Does this mean it can support the 500GB version as well?

But why, the R5-1600X and R7-1700X both beat the i7-7700k now in game performance thanks to the latest updates + pairing with good RAM.

No reason for it to be up there anymore.

Remember to buy used, got a 980ti hybrid for $330.

Source?

is it better than the 1070 at this point?

Currency conversion alone puts the price higher. I'm Canadian, so that $539 isn't as bad as $539 US

Thanks for the motherboard info though

Slightly

pcpartpicker.com/list/s9PfLD
I'm not buying AMD shit. I'm gonna be gayming and video editing. Yes, I have a delid kit.

Seems like you should just be able to install the driver and everything should be fine.

I personally have no experience with them though.

Yes. The supported hardware list is just a marketing gimmic and manufacturers have to pay to get their products on it. Samsung didnt bother to get all versions of their SSDs approved.

The ASUS webpage has a win10 driver in their downloads section even though it doesnt officially support that OS.

Slightly better, yes. But Nvidia no longer officially supports 980 so 1070 might overtake it in future due to better drivers.

What a shitty build. You have more money than sense. Enjoy your new furnace.

Great build, It will keep you warm during winter, you can cook and do some blacksmithing in the summer.

EBYC comment pro xD

>i7 instead of i9
Trash.

i'm not paying 500 dollars+ for a gpu, do an R5 1600 and 1050Ti have any issues with each other?

Shitposting is not allowed.

Many thank my fellow poster.
I strive to bring the highest quality comments to this imageboard. You can also do your part to cultivate this healthy environment by familiarizing yourself with the countless memes at your disposal.

Bottleneck, get a R5 1400

I hope all the miners who jacked up the prices of all the GPUs die of cancer, and their girlfriends raped.

1600 is overkill for such a puny GPU.

Not him, but isn't it probably a good idea to have a powerful CPU so it allows for a better GPU later, so that the CPU itself doesn't become the bottleneck?

Yes it is

1600 isn't that much more than the 1400 though, only ~$50

maybe i'll go with the 1050Ti and pick up a mid-range gpu in a couple of years

that's what i was thinking

Well, that seems like a sound plan in my opinion.
A powerful CPU is a wise investment.

Pretty much my plan. Picked up a 760 for $50 while I wait for Vega.

What should I look out for when buying used GPUs? I found two craiglist ads of the GT 980 Ti EVGA Classified for $300 and $360.

false

60fps is shit
get out console user

I need a video card pci express x16 for under 500 dollars. i wanna run pretty modern games at decent settings. any suggestions?

redpill me on x370 boards
is ASUS prime the best value here or is there some other sweetspot I'm not seeing?

best cheap 144hz monitor? ASUS VG248QE?

Upgrading my old cpu with motherboard, want to buy Ryzen 1600, but will it bottleneck my gtx660?

Don't fall for 144hz meme, if you want to get 144hz monitor then your going to need a 1080ti.

>but will it bottleneck my gtx660?
A 1600 bottleneck a GTX 660? No, the other way around. I'd recommend you keep it until gpu prices come down unless you're impatient and/or money isn't an issue

Found the miner that abosulutely wrecked his cards at 80c+ all day every day fucking the vrms and everything else in the process

Oops, my bad. So will they be fine together?

>dont fall for the smooth motion meme

gtfo console shill, 120hz+ or get the fuck out.

Sure, the CPU will just not run at it's full potential

All you need is a game being able to run in 144fps, and people mostly pick 144hz for games like CSGO and Overwatch

uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/padraigkayto/saved/yBYvK8
or
uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/padraigkayto/saved/tHL8dC

I'll be using it for 1080p gaming, AutoCAD and Revit modelling.

144hz is nice for everything, even scrolling up and down on webpages.

i plan on playing on medium settings, fps >>> graphics desu

Go with amd and with the money you saved by going with amd, get a 2x8gb kit right away. Higher frequency ram will also help with performance. Also 650w is more then you need unless you plan on upgrading/sli.

I need upgrade for running new games and 3d modelling, but my budget is around 400$. I definitely have to swap my lga775 socket

>3d modeling

Well then, itll wreck even a 7700k, so go with that.

is it worth it to pay hundreds of dollars more for the upgrade from gtx1060 to 1070 or 1070 to 1080

Are Gigabyte GPUs decent? I mean for quietness, cooling, performance, longevity, etc. I know they look like shit.

>1060

Brother got a 1070 on special, seems to work fine and stay cool. Said he had a few graphical glitchs at first 4 months ago but it's been fine since

>gigabyte

>Nvidia

I have old PC with 700w psu, gtx 660 and old motherboard with lga775 socket. I definitely want buy new motherboard, with new cpu and new ddr4 ram. Goal is 3d modelling and running new games as good as possible with streaming. Budget around 400$. Wanted to go with ryzen 1600, but I'm afraid about bottlenecking

Any ideas what to do from here guys

>Build new PC
>It crashes when playing games and furmark
>Send it to a repair shop
>They update the motherboard bios and it no longer crashes under furmark
>Continues to crash under games after 60-90 minutes
>Switch out every piece of hardware except the case
>Problem persists
>Discover Darksiders will crash it within 30 seconds of the game starting

Where the fuck do I go from here? I feel like I'm cursed as absolutely nothing makes sense and I don't know who the fuck I can ask for help.

My ASUS board killed itself because they're shit at regulating voltage. I'm luck it didn't take the graphics card and cpu with it.

What case should I get for a £1k build?

you probably have shitty powerlines on your house

Sup Darksider dude. Still haven't figured out the issue? Did you call the exorcist like I told you too the last time?

If every piece of hardware has been changed and I assume wiped as well with a fresh install OS. It might be an issue with dirty power and your wall socket/surge protector.

I just bought a ryzen 1600.
now How do I install the anti NSA spyware?

How would I solve that? I tried a different extension cord.

I'm wondering if a 650 PSU is the problem. Is it enough to run a Ryzen build or would I need something stronger?

An exorcist would be nice right now. I swear someone has a voodoo doll fucking with me with how bad my luck is.

I'd prefer to go AMD, but there are quite literally 0 RX 570/580s in stock in my country, at least for anywhere near the price of a 1060.

Wait for Vega :^)

ETHEREUM CRASHING AHAHAHAH
GET FUCKED CRYPTOFAGGOTS

UPS would tell you, if it does not crash asap with that

650w is overkill for anything not SLi/Crossfire if its not a shit brand.

Try a different wall socket?
Do you have friends? Maybe bring your PC over to their house and try it. Or just try another PC at your house.

Yes a 650 PSU should be more than enough for any single GPU build although the recommended PSU for a 290x is 750.

>brand x is shit for x reason
Does anyone have sources around here or is it just constant shill v shill?

Oh shit, does this still mean some schmuck will buy my RX 470 for $100 more than I bought it for?

So 2018?

Welcome to the watchlist.
There's no getting off this ride.

SOP

UPS?

I've run 4 different PCs off this socket. It seems unlikely it would be the socket.

It's a ASUS prime 250B mother board.

Uninterruptable Power Supply

Basicly a big battery that has reliable, smooth power.

You have 4 different PCs and this is the only one with this issue?

What are you referring to?

I've run 4 different ones over the years. This is the only one with this issue yes.

When you said you've switched out every piece of hardware, I'm assuming you switched out the PSU as well? I had a similar issue happen to me, turned out to be the 750w cheapo corsair PSU I was using.

Is /biz/ literally just people panicking or trying to get other people to panic? Fucking cryptoniggers.

yes

I bought a new PSU for this machine that was 600w and recommended on parts picker. I switched it out for a 650w one from my old machine and still had the problem.

You did change the PSU out right?
I literally have no solutions that I didn't already offer the last time. Sorry bro.

Yea I changed it out. Only the case is original at this point and tomorrow I'm going to take everything out of the case and see if it does it then.

Thanks for trying to help. I've been at this for several months now. Starting to regret not buying a prebuilt machine

Can you run furmark and a CPU stress test at the same time?

I've not tried that, I can do so in a bit. I believe Heaven tests both CPU and GPU and I've run that a few times.

Do you have the number for that exorcist please? My loyal mp3 player's on/off button just died on me. Fucking curses man.

Trying to OC a Ryzen CPU to 4ghz is like trying to get a 4.0 GPA

just oc it to 3.95 instead itll probably take way less voltage