So since mining is booming I'm curious if my gigabyte windforce 980ti is worth anything good to sell...

So since mining is booming I'm curious if my gigabyte windforce 980ti is worth anything good to sell? Would like to grab a 1080 if I can sell my 980ti for more than it's worth, or is the 980ti a shit mining card? Anyone know?

and why do you think the 1080 price won't be also inflated?

Because certain cards are perfect for mining, others aren't so. So those other card's prices won't be affected as far as I know.

Nvidia is utter shite for mining. Your card is probably no different in price than it was before the mining boom.

It's a shit card. The 1080 is shit as well due to the slower ddr5x memory. Only the 1070 and below Pascal cards are worth it for Nvidia for mining.

Forgot to mention in original OP, I'm not looking into mining, I'm just looking to see if I can make a small profit off of my 980ti to upgrade.

you don't mine any worthwhile currencies with nvidiot cards.

you can profiteer quite nicely off amd cards, nobody is selling nvidia cards higher than retail so you're fucked matey

It's worth 300-350 dollars OP.

I have the same card. Holding on to it until Volta though.

t. Newfag who just learned about GPUs this pascal gen

980ti is great at computing, it's a really good mining card. Suck shit retard

what should we mine and what miner

Not viable

980 Ti pulls too much power, you can probably get an OK at best deal for it but it's an overall mediocre mining card compared to the 1070/1060 or the radeons.

Process node efficiency is a harsh mistress.

>you don't mine any worthwhile currencies with nvidiot cards.
The GTX1070 can do 30Mh/s, on par with a BIOS modded RX480. And now that AMD GPUs are sold out everywhere and going for astronomical prices second hand, GTX1060s with their 20Mh/s are becoming the new staple GPU for ETH mining. That said, it's pretty much too late to get started now, considering the explosion in difficulty that won't be reversing for the foreseeable future.

No longer true in 2017. See AMD cards were desirable for their price to performance ratio but by no means are Nvidia cards bad at mining

Why is this mining boom happening now? What happened?

That's a pretty huge price to performance ratios considering a 1070 just kind of hits AMD 480 targets a card that was regularly on sale for all versions and brands for $180 bucks for much of the year.

$180 compared to a $400-500 dollar card. Kind of sad really.

nothing that nvidia is offering is perfect for mining a fucking 580 can go as low as 33 watts and mine like crazy

the only thing nvidia is good at mining is salt when a 295x2 mines x7 times more than a 1080ti for x2 the tdp you know its shit

It's also got better drivers and can actually game a few years later still in 1080p no problems. Good luck if you bought an Nvidia card.

fuck off...

>video card mining

Shit and here I was just using them for gaming and watching films.

Don't they sell Asics anymore? You douchebag miners are fucking things up for people who actually get some entertainment out of video cards.

>tfw solar panels
just feed me graphics cards

>two die card does better than one die card
lel

>better drivers
kek

opinion instantly disregarded.

Memes

>mining is booming
and motorcars are all the rage

Can I mine on a 1050 Ti?

Looks like it will get you around 11Mh/s at best. Not really worth it today, considering the difficulty boom that won't be reversing for the foreseeable future. If you start today, it'll take you months before you get to one Ether.

How will it do for other coins though?

Maybe you might be able to make a very small profit mining shitcoins. See whattomine.com for what's currently worth mining for your card. Just manually enter the hashrate for your card for each mining algorithm if your card isn't listed.

How does ethereum work?

Like how do you keep your monet after you switch computers?

I don't get it.

You have an Ethereum wallet that your money is stored at. All wallets will have at least one addressed linked to it, which you can send and receive Ether from.

Wallets are recoverable using a seed, which means you can simply enter it into a client on another machine to use it. The wallet on your machine is then secured using a passphrase, which you'd need to authenticate transactions from it. Because everything is blockchain based, you can use the same wallet on as many machines as you like.

As far as wallets are concerned, there's the full node desktop client Ethereum Wallet, which downloads the entire blockchain to your drive - however, it does support light mode now and there are a few guides on how to use this. Alternatively, you have cloud services like Coinbase that handle the wallet side of things for you and just give you addresses to send and receive Ether; you can login to your account from anywhere to access your money.