Will my SSD lose data if my computer isn't powered on for 3months?

Will my SSD lose data if my computer isn't powered on for 3months?

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/9248/the-truth-about-ssd-data-retention
youtube.com/watch?v=J9P4UadRdNA&t=7s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No.

No.

t. Did it myself

i didn't know it was opposite day today

>ssd
>non-volatile memory
>>will it lose data?
No clue.

Mine did after about 2 years or so. Had random desktop files missing/corrupted.

3 months is fine tho

Or is it?
Maybe it is maybe it isn't
Maybe it will or maybe it won't
Let's keep these questions unanswered

It could. Make sure your backups are up to date before leaving for that long.

They do have this issue though, they need power to keep the files or they start losing the data, google
also google

Data loss averages around the 6-8 month mark.
Never before.

How are we supposed to know that?
Any device can fail, especially if it's unpowered. You can minimize this risk by storing it in proper environment.

It's called non-volatile memory for a reason.

It's not battery-backed RAM, it's actual persistent storage.

Non-volatile doesn't mean until the end of the universe. We have no reliable way of storing digital data for 100 years or more and still we speak of non-volatile data.

SSDs are, like all storage media, less-volatile memory and you should always consider the limitations (which for SSDs are worse than HHDs).

>Non-volatile doesn't mean until the end of the universe. We have no reliable way of storing digital data for 100 years or more and still we speak of non-volatile data.
OP asked for 3 months, not until the end of the universe.

See

See

I wasn't commenting on OP. There was this faggot who implied that non-volatile means that it won't lose data which is wrong.

Whatever, user. I can't be bothered dealing with this level of autism today.

>which for SSDs are worse than HHDs
Define "data loss".
HDDs fail due to mechanical failure and/or logic board malfunction. SSDs only fail because of logic board malfunction. SSDs are designed to sustain defined wear. HDDs are designed to work as long as it can. So if SSD is worn due to NAND cell wear it goes into read-only mode, so your data is fully recoverable. HDDs just die and your data is fucked.

OP, just get yourself a nice LTO streamer and pack of cheap-ass LTO3/4 cartridges. There are designed for 25 years of storage.

>Define "data loss".

As far as I can tell we were talking about data retention.

No. Your PC is being powered constantly anyway. You'd have to switch off the PSU or unplug it to stop it from powering it's devices.

Not to mention yank out the BIOS battery.

I don't know about your PSU but mine will only power the mainboard for WOL. No power on the peripherals.

Also, keeping the SSDs powered without an active SATA link doesn't guarantee the memory ICs are will be powered as well. It's up to the design of the hardware/firmware what happens in this situation.

OP is refering to data degradation aka data rot/bit rot.
SSDs do leak electrical charges that store data due to imperfect insulation over time.
> HDDs just die and your data is fucked
Not really, you can transplant the platters into working HDD and retrieve the data

>Not really, you can transplant the platters into working HDD and retrieve the data

How about just restoring from backups.

No.
A SSD's Data isn't fucked if it has sat there for 3 months.

no you can't.
In old drives you also had to move the U18 chip from old board.

>Not really, you can transplant the platters into working HDD and retrieve the data
Everything is easy for the man who doesn't have to do it and doesn't understand what is involved.

This

anandtech.com/show/9248/the-truth-about-ssd-data-retention

"Remember that the figures presented here are for a drive that has already passed its endurance rating, so for new drives the data retention is considerably higher, typically over ten years for MLC NAND based SSDs."

No, and that's particularly true if you leave it attached to power, even if off.

SSD will receive STBY power even if the computer is off, which should be enough.

Yes you can
youtube.com/watch?v=J9P4UadRdNA&t=7s
My point was that a "dead" HDD doesn't mean its the end of the world and that the data can be saved. The method is irrelevant

Yeah, if you don't mind giving them your firstborn child and perhaps even your kidneys