AMD Raven Ridge

Alright Sup Forums, let's talk about Raven Ridge.
Well, I guess we're pretty sure that 4c/8t will BTFO those dual core i7's, but how will it compete against Intel's 45W quad-core mobile i7's (Like the i7 7770HQ)? We all can agree that Ryzen shines against Intel on desktops because of the extra cores, but now that we know the APU will be a quad-core, what will be the advantage? Pricing? TDP?

Also, how do you think that tiny Vega chip will perform against Intel's integrated graphics?

> Highest end Intel alternative: ark.intel.com/pt-br/products/93336/Intel-Core-i7-6970HQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/97462/Intel-Core-i7-7920HQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_10-GHz
ark.intel.com/products/93336/Intel-Core-i7-6970HQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
play3r.net/news/pre-orders-open-for-the-first-ryzen-gaming-laptop/
youtube.com/watch?v=JLTpkSOBXHE
youtube.com/watch?v=jYpJolQ8MIc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ryzen clocks higher at lower power than the Intel alternatives. Also AMD has a HUGE advantage in IGP.

>Also, how do you think that tiny Vega chip will perform against Intel's integrated graphics?

This is literally no question at all. Vega will shit on Intel's GPUs

>Ryzen clocks higher at lower power than the Intel alternatives
[citation required]

Raven Ridge will have slightly lower IPC than Kaby Lake if the desktop Zen is anything to go by, so unless these APUs can clock well over 3.6GHz at boost and maintain a base clock of over 2.6GHz, then AMD's shit out of luck in trying to take back the mobile market share. It's iGPU is it's only saving grace, but seeing as how underwhelming and powerhungry the full Vega is, something tells me that the APU will have about the same graphical horsepower as the top-of-the-line Iris Pro 6200, except while using far more power.

Raven Ridge looks dead in the water.

>something tells me that the APU will have about the same graphical horsepower as the top-of-the-line Iris Pro 6200

Intel makes their iGPUs look okay by slapping a huge piece of SRAM on the die to boost their bandwidth but AMD manages to keep well ahead of them anyway and their APUs are cheaper than Intel's offerings.

>cpu vs cpu
We have to wait and see, but the Zen cores really shine on low frequencies that are usually seen on mobile stuff

>gpu vs gpu
Shit faildozer apus completely destroy Intel igpus. Raven Ridge igpu will annihilate any hope for Intel integrated graphics.

Yes.
t. 40 Watt 3 GHz 8 core desktop Ryzen

>i don't know what I'm talking about
The Iris Pro 6200 is on par with the GTX 750, but uses about a third of the electricity. AMD will struggle to match that with Vega, especially considering how much electricity it uses.

>Shit faildozer apus completely destroy Intel igpus
Nahhh, I've seen people play GTA V just fine on Iris Pro, but never seen an AMD APU get past 30fps (I'm talking about mobile here)

You don't see Intel octacores reaching 3.7GHz on 65W TDP.

Oh no! Matchs a GTX 750. AMD is FINESHED.

>AMD will struggle to match that with Vega, especially considering how much electricity it uses.
Given that we've seen exactly zero reliable benchmarks for Vega, you're talking out of your ass.

>4k ALU GPU uses a lot of electricity
Wow really makes me think.

Raven Ridge will be lucky if it can beat the 750 while sipping reasonable amount of power, a very tall order considering how power hungry Vega 10 is turning out to be. They might have to throttle the clock speeds to keep power consumption down, leading to a situation where the Vega iGPU could technically beat the Iris Pro in raw power, but can't because it needs to use less frequency.

Source: My Ass

Reminder to report retards & shitposters.

Source: MSI
Vega 10 is using between 300-350W.

Ryzen's TDP scales well on core counting, but the TPD keeps the same on the quad-core ones (t. 1400, 1500X)

>intel igpu

Lol, about as useful as a Nvidia CPU

Is this a joke? A dual CCX R7 1800x at 3.0ghz has a 45w TDP. With a single die it will be utterly trivial to dumpster every mobile i7.

>4096 ALU card uses a lot of power
Really makes you think.

>answering paid shills or trolls

Thats a card with 4096 shaders and high clockspeeds. Everyone and their grandma's dog knows that once you go to mobile sized ~500 or ~750 shaders with reasonable clocks you end up with a really low tdp especially with binning and accurate voltage tuning.

Is this a joke?
Ryzen has no iGPU to compare with the mobile i7s, nor does it officially have low-TDP models for mobile applications. Any modern CPU with cores alone can reach very good power-to-efficiency ratios, but combine that with a shitty, housefire-tier iGPU and you have a completely different beast in your hands.

Scale down, retard. An 8CU Vega with 1/8 of Vega 10 will have over 40W TDP. They need to underclock the thing just to get it within reasonable TDP.

There's a sisoft entry of a 4 core ravenridge with 768 shaders, is it 15w or more? Dunno

Oh no, mobile chips have lower clocks, and clockspeed is less efficient than more shaders?! Wtf I've been lied to.

Get your dumb ass outta here nigger.

>Ryzen has no iGPU to compare with the mobile i7s, nor does it officially have low-TDP models for mobile applications.
Because Ryzen doesn't have APUs yet you fucking idiot.

>Any modern CPU with cores alone can reach very good power-to-efficiency ratios, but combine that with a shitty, housefire-tier iGPU and you have a completely different beast in your hands.
Vega has not come out yet. You know nothing about its power characteristics other than rumors which may not even be applicable to the iGPUs used in Raven Ridge anyway.

Because iGPU will TOTALLY be clocked at ~1500mhz. Really makes me think.

>Hurr durr I'm going to pretend I don't realize that you subtract one of the CCX's before adding an iGPU compared to Ryzen that can hit 45w TDP at 3.0ghz

Clocks?

Iris pro clocks up to 1200mhz

It will need to in order to beat the Iris Pro 6200

>I will compare two totally different GPU architectures

Just a reminder that 45W Kaby Lake i7's can hit up to 4.1GHz

ark.intel.com/products/97462/Intel-Core-i7-7920HQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_10-GHz

Around 800mhz IIRC

Yes, totally. Brian please stop.

Yeah, AMD is fucked either way. Raven Ridge can't compete with CPUs alone, especially not if their rival's peak turbo is higher than what's actually achievable with Ryzen using high voltages.

Yeah, for 4 seconds before it throttles.

> Iris Pro 6200
Dude, that's not even the fastest Iris Pro. The latest and fastest one is the Iris Pro 580

see: ark.intel.com/products/93336/Intel-Core-i7-6970HQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

>all this damage control
And Xeons are tested and battle proven, riiiiight?

I see Intelkikes are complwtely oblivious how the voltage/clock curve functions.
TDP too

I believe the highest end Raven Ridge will be able to hit 4.0GHz tbqh, They're new bins, not leftovers from aborted 8-cores.

You will buy Xeons Scalable Family processors, right, goyim?

Are we talking 15W here? Because 40w+ is gaymer laptop nigger tier and only 15-28W are relevant for portable laptops.

Kikes are damage controlling and suddenly talking about 45w abortions.

yes. THE BEST

lol turboboost speeds. Meanwhile AMD is already putting their full size desktop CPUs into laptops that use all 8 cores @ 65 watts. play3r.net/news/pre-orders-open-for-the-first-ryzen-gaming-laptop/

Mobile parts have different turbo character than desktop components. Kind of how like the 7700k only hits the max frequency on one core while the rest are stuck at all core. There is no "magic" behind the efficiency of mobile processors, for Intel they are the same silicon on the same process, just with lower clocks and different turbo behavior. Ryzen's linear power curve will provide better performance for the same power, just like it has in the desktop and server market and there is no reason to believe in any other result occurring. Also we haven't seen Vega operating in low frequencies but we can at least assume the chips are running as hot as possible for the desktop market. We won't know what the efficiency looks like at low speeds until the product is released.

lmao

> 15W
Literal garbage ultrabook CPU's, Raven Ridge will destroy those

> Because 40w+ is gaymer laptop nigger tier
So you're saying high end laptops are a meme? C'mon, 15 inch laptops workstations should have a more powerful CPU than those thin and light tablets. 35-45W is the sweet spot, you can get over the 10 hours battery life margin on those CPU's.

>amd 8 cores use less power than intel 8 cores even when clocked outside their sweetspot
>somehow they'll use more power when clocked at their optimal voltage

The brain of a kike

>intel shills actually trying to argue their shit is more power efficient

High end laptops should be reserved for workstations, not your throttlefire 40w+ junk

Honestly, that's pretty neat, but let's be real, that's a big aborted laptop, literally republic of gaymen.

I would like to see how an underclocked 1600 would behave on a normal sized laptop.

Children not understanding business.

It comes down the pricing not performance parity.

THE MOST SCALABLE (totally better than EPYC, goy)

stop posting fucking brainlet

>underclocked 1600
The nice part about Raven Ridge is that it's only going to be one CCX, which means not only half the TDP of the already good 1700, but also that there's no IF to run between the CCXs for even further power savings. It shall be very interesting to see how it turns out.

It still uses IF to connect to iGPU.

And..? That's why AMD made it

trust us, goy

>should be
you don't decide what people want, fucking moron.

I don't but the market does, and the market thinks 100w+ of hardware in a laptop is a joke.

>ebinmail is STILL shit
Oww.

Will Raven Ridge also have 16MB cache?

no

Sure, but it's not constantly needed just to talk to the other memory controller even for single-threaded programs.

8MB because 1 CCX

Don't think that tiny Vega will be much faster than previous APU's?

It's actually "just" a 40% improvement on graphics, see pic related.

40% improvement at half the power envelope.

Only miserable 40%! But Intel, goyim. It's the best.

So 80% at the same power? We don't know if it will scale perfectly.

At those low clocks scaling should be linear.
Hopefully there's actually a 1400 shader part along with the 700 shader part so there ia more difference than clocks

i'm waiting for 7nm laptops.

hello pajeet, my friend

this is rakeesh. how do i get job shilling intel on Sup Forums my friend? please friend, i have 16 mouths to feed...

ryzen wins because the uncore speed is tied with the ram speed

the more speed you feed the ram the more ryzen will btfo intel

what the fuck is wrong with incels and pretending their igpus aren't complete trash? how deluded are these retards?

"just" 40% is the difference from gaming comfortably at 720p to comfortably handling 1080p

It's "only" 40% better at half the power.

40% over current AMD Integrated Graphics, which are already better than anything Intel can make.

Bulldozer CPUs were a shit too, that's extra perf there as well, and laptop makers decide power managment, so it can end up going over that 40% while using more power.

>Nahhh, I've seen people play GTA V just fine on Iris Pro, but never seen an AMD APU get past 30fps (I'm talking about mobile here)
I like that you pull out one of the most CPU bottlenecked games out there to try prove that Intel IGPs are better than AMD IGPs.

I'm pretty sure AMD made it its goal to target 60+ fps in esports with high settings for mobile chips, that's a pretty big market.

That on a

Around 120-130mm^2 of vega graphics go into raven ridge, desktop vega is around 490-500mm2 at 4096 shaders.

Someone do the math.

can't wait for these laptops to come out and AMD to really eat Intel's lunch
fuck those lazy non-innovating synagogue frequenters

>more attractive form factors
Screw that
I want my laptop to be EXTRA THICC

Bristol Ridge wasn't too bad
The problem were manufacturers making shit laptops
A thicc laptop with a FX9800p, a large battery, 1080p IPS screen and a semi-decent GPU for muh gaymes would have been perfect
Still pretty satisfied with my A10 9600p, R7m 440 HP laptop, aside from the locked down BIOS, small 40Wh battery and shitty 768p screen

Complete trash? Yeah, but much better than current AMD bullshit
See:
youtube.com/watch?v=JLTpkSOBXHE

Iris pro 580 already runs Dota 2 at full HD max settings at around 60fps, ~45fps with anti aliasing on.
see:
youtube.com/watch?v=jYpJolQ8MIc

All I know is that Ryzen beats anything Intel currently has in performance per watt. That's all that matters in the mobile world and that's what AMD currently have. Also, they have very thin actual die packages which are important for pointlessly thin laptops.

Just a question, do you even know what TDP means? Hint: it's not power draw.

The quad-core Ryzens are the worst of the worst binning m8.

Nope, Ryzen 3 (Aka Raven Ridge) is

Are you retarded.
Or just stupid?

I'm just superior

That shit drops frames to 32 in battles and is a 45w overpriced turd, what the fuck.
Nobody's gonna put this in a XPS

Yup, retarded.

I really love how AMD can just bin a GPU on the die. It's like magic.

Are you retarded? Raven Ridge is a entirely different die.