Linux GPU drivers

What's the current status of GPU drivers on Linux? When I looked a few years ago, AMD drivers sucked while Nvidia's proprietary ones were pretty good. I'm debating whether I should upgrade my old 750TI to a 1070 or RX580.

Other urls found in this thread:

x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ss3-bfe-vulkan&num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

[spoiler]Being opensource, AMD drivers integrate way better with rest of the system, but performance still lags behind their windows drivers. The gap is closing with newer GPUs though.[/spoiler]

In this same boat, have my eye on a 580 when/if they come back in stock...have heard AMD drivers on Linux have improved significantly compared to a few years ago but no direct experience

how would a RX vega perform on linux?

I use the open source drivers with my R9 290 and the performance is good. Not onpar with comperable Nvidia in openGL, but still good for the games I play at 120fps.

AMD is great with 2015+ cards (amdgpu pro drivers). Their older/unsupported cards use older open source drivers which aren't bad, but aren't amazing either.
Nvidia needs proprietary drivers to work properly since open source ones are absolute shit. But their proprietary drivers are amazing.

AMDGPU Pro is available on RX580 but only as a nightly/unstable release. I don't know when it will get support on the stable release.

Open source is better than proprietary, f a m

It's not in nvidia's case

Good thing we were discussing AMD then, huh?

Read the OP, homo. He's discussing the topic of the thread, which includes Nvidia.

Read the comment I replied to tranny, your comment is superfluous.

(OP)
>AMD is great with 2015+ cards (amdgpu pro drivers). Their older/unsupported cards use older open source drivers which aren't bad, but aren't amazing either.
>Nvidia needs proprietary drivers to work properly since open source ones are absolute shit. But their proprietary drivers are amazing.

Now read the OP again, then realize you're a dumb faggot.

>What's the current status of GPU drivers on Linux?
>I'm debating whether I should upgrade my old 750TI to a 1070 or RX580.

Your just buttblasted becuz I called you out on the AMD pro drivers being shittier than open source. Give it a rest.

I'm not even that user.

Don't know why you would defend his shitty comment then.

Nobody was talking just about AMD, that's why.
Enjoy your (You)s faggot.

Um, yes, sweetie, he specifically claimed pro was better than open.

AMDGPU Pro drivers don't work with the cards that can use the older open source drivers. He never said they were better than the current open source drivers for the new cards. Lrn2read m8.

> (OP)
>AMD is great with 2015+ cards (amdgpu pro drivers).

You first.

I don't have experience with nVidia but plenty with AMD.

There are basically two "tiers" of AMD drivers, one is for pre-GCN graphics and the second is for GCN graphics. Both "tiers" have a free and proprietary driver, with varying levels of support.

*Pre-GCN*
- radeon: free driver, supported everywhere, great for 2D acceleration, sucks for 3D, package is (confusingly?) called xf86-video-ati
- fglrx/catalyst: proprietary driver, deprecated and no longer updated, Vi0L0 keeps a somewhat updated package in AUR but you'll probably have to downgrade xorg and use an LTS kernel, has good 3D performance and a settings GUI, but everything else about it sucks

*GCN*
- amdgpu: free driver, widely supported, experimental support for Southern and Sea Islands GPUs available in kernel config, recent versions have better OpenGL performance than the proprietary driver
- amdgpu-pro: proprietary driver, official support for Ubuntu, RHEL/CentOS, and SLES/SLED, beats the free driver in Vulkan

If you want to check where your GPU belongs:
x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

Someone might as well make a pasta or screenshot out of it since I post it here a lot.

Amd drivers are absolute shit on Linux, got over 100 fps on Windows playing rust and 40 fps with Amdgpu-pro on poonix

You aren't supposed to use the pro drivers.

>PRO behind open drivers
They should just go full open desu.

How else I'm i supposed to get vulkan and other shit?

They did.

For what?

Dota2

Did they drop AMDGPU-PRO? I'm still with the cuck 970 and Vega sounds mighty tempting. If they give it the same love Polaris has been getting, then i will definitely switch.

All I know is Optimus shit won't be a thing until at least the next release of xorg or so says nvidia.

They just optimize the open source better for games and such now. They contribute a lot of patches now.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ss3-bfe-vulkan&num=1

That's pretty fucking neat. I'm checking out other games and they have made giant strides with it, I'm impressed.

If you decide to go with Nvidia, proprietary drivers are pretty much your only choice. Nvidia is known for gimping the free driver development from time to time, specially for new gpu releases.

If you go with AMD, make sure you get one that's supported by the amdgpu driver, it's open source and in most cases it performs the same or even better than the proprietary drivers. Also, consider that if you go with the amdgpu+mesa stack, you'll have gallium nine support which allows you to use a patched version of wine that uses mesa's implementation of dx9 instead of translating the calls to opengl, resulting in higher and smoother framerates. The proprietary version (amdgpu-pro) is okay, but it's only warranted to work with specific versions of Ubuntu and RHEL, so expect bad things to happen if you use another distro, specially if it uses bleeding edge versions of the kernel.

go with nvidia
amd have a lot of issues on linux

Nouveau is a big pile of shit and it has lost its purpose by accepting signed blobs. Proprietary is pretty good, but it can be a bitch when updating kernels or the drivers themselves.

never had a problem with nvidia drivers.. been using them over 10 years. On the other hand I had a ton of problem with amd/ati.. their drivers just suck

AMD no drivers has been a shitty meme ever since Polaris came out. Nvidia are being retards with their software as well.