/pcbg/ PC Building General Anonymou

>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

If you want help:
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA).
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate.
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?

CPUs:
>G4560 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - if you can't afford better or specifically need 8 threads but not a very powerful CPU
>R5 1500x - Buy the 1600 instead
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; Get a 1600x if you don't OC
>i7-7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/mixed use; Not required for just gaming.

GPUs:
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>RX 560 and GTX 1050Ti - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games
>RX570 - 1080p@60hz at high, running most maxed older games at 144+hz.
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@60hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; Go for the RX580 if you can.
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@144hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p.
>GTX 1080 Ti - 1440p@144 hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games; You're kind of going overboard with this one.
>AMD GPUs are suffering a lack of stock and Nvidia a rise in price thanks to miners

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen benefits from high speed RAM

General:
>ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
>Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
>NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
>The Ryzen lineup comes with exceptionally good stock coolers. (with the exception of the 1600X) consider using them over any sub 35USD cooler.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/pHgFM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/BQjWsJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/Cns8cc
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/kzKcsJ
tomshardware.com/reviews/best-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-graphics-cards,4725-11.html
msi.com/Motherboard/B350-PC-MATE.html#productSpecification-section
nzxt.com/products/s340-white
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ovmxfejvo
youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI?t=8m
adverts.ie/servers/hp-dl140-proliant-server-intel-xeon/13195718
mediaexperience.com/nas-storage-guide/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/rxsmzM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for 7700k is the best gaming cpu

and absolutely nothing else

Please no. Don't start this here.

>7700k

Anyone have any experience with the motherboard?

pcpartpicker.com/list/pHgFM8

Threadly reminder to ignore Intel shills.

Incoming flood of 2nd hand GPUs.
Remember to not fall for the "slightly used" meme

Building my first PC, always had laptops or pre build desktops, where do you guys get Windows?

I have seen that combo enough to know that those RAM aren't on the motherboard QVL.

There's nothing wrong with an i5.

It's a good motherboard. Easily the best overclocker among B350 boards.

Kinguin, Ebay, Allkeyshop if you want legit
KMSpico if otherwise

except everything. Why bother with 4 cores and 4 threads when you can have 4 cores and 8 threads or 6 cores and 12 threads for the same price and get better performance?
The i5 is dead.

>there's a dip
>better sell my mining rig that took me weeks accumulate and build!

Yeah ok idiot

>Kinguin, Ebay, Allkeyshop
I've heard about these before, you just buy the activation key right? How legit are they?

You keep trying to convince yourself of that, my financially-challenged friend.

some of us just run the free version of windows 10. You can download it onto a USB installer from Microsoft's own website. There's a watermark in the lower righthand corner, and you can't use the personalization options until you activate it, which you can do through the windows store by either buying the license or purchasing a code as
mentioned.
Beyond those 2 small gripes, there's nothing the free windows 10 can't do that an activated version can.

>Drop from 375 to 235 in less than a week
>No signs of recovery
Just a "dip" :^)

But the RAM is so nice with the Ryzen.

Good to hear always nice to have that option open.

And for those curious here is the complete PC.
pcpartpicker.com/list/BQjWsJ
The GPU will get a upgrade later on down the line. It was about time to upgrade from my I5 3350P

Yes. Kinguin is pretty legit. Ebay is dependent on seller. Allkeysite is the cheapest and shadiest.

Weak hands will perish

Yeah. Just don't complain to us when your RAM only clocks at 2133mhz or refuses to POST. We warned you

>you sold your 290X at the right time

Die jew

How much did you sell it for? I sold mine for 250 USD

good OP, i was gonna make the exact same edits as you did although worded differently
I believe we should work toward using less character, notably using less >, as we are using 25 of them currently. Could also remove the periods at the end of some sentences and use less lines, we don't need to create a new line every few words.

I'm just worried about the key not working, where do the keys come from? presumably the seller also has the key I would buy, could he do shady things with it, or retract my key later on?
Or is this all impossible?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Cns8cc

I've long had a bug in my butt to build a powerful htpc build. What do ya'll think? I have some cash I want to burn.

Holy shit mods please ban the i5 trollfag that ruined the other thread

The price is what's wrong with it, those would be great CPU if they were $140 or such because they are still very capable hardware. But $240 for a CPU that gets big FPS dips in any CPU intensive game, where even the $180 1500x doesn't thanks to it's 8 threads? That's not worth by any mean.

>Easily the best overclocker among B350 boards

That isn't true. It lags behind Asus' own Strix and most of MSI's boards in terms of VRM quality. But it is cheaper than almost all of them, and a very good option for the money. It's the B350 board that I'd buy, were I buying one.

$255 to some Mexican on eBay.

>tfw when Fury X
I just want Vega to hurry the fuck up. I bought this for $300 a while ago and I can probably sell it for more right now. I just want something to upgrade to.

The $400-500 Vega cards probably won't be hit by mining, right?

Then use Kinguin. Issue a chargeback or contact their CS if you can't activate the key.

The keys come from keys farms that MS sells en masse to startups for cheap.

>stolen Twingo meme

What's worse than a cardless nocoiner?

Do tempered glass cases become hotter than ""normal"" ones? Are they just a meme?

>The $400-500 Vega cards probably won't be hit by mining, right?
All AMD cards from R200 onwards have been good for mining. Why would you think Vega would suddenly be bad for mining?

Dont worry about it the RAM not being QVL.
It works like a charm on my end.

affected by mining =/= bad for mining

I got the Fury X for $300 not too long ago, and the goddamn RX 480s are going for nearly the same price. If the Vega cards have decent price/performance, they may be used for mining but if that ratio is too far off then they probably won't be.

Really new to building a PC, have only done it once. I'm about to swap out a GPU, so two stupid questions. Is the order -

>use DDU to remove old drivers
>power down PC, remove all cables
>unlatch GPU, pull it out, put new one in
>fire PC back up and install new drivers

Is it that simple? I'm also plugging it into a 3 year old PC - is there any way it can harm the GPU? I'm not building a new rig until Christmas, but I don't want to sit on the GPU that long, will pull it out when I build the new one. Unsure if there's any reason doing so is stupid.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Is the EVGA G3 a good PSU?

Maybe. My bet is that it will be good for mining given that 580 are going for 400 dollars and Vega will be better than them.

yes, that's the right order
as for removing all cables, you just need to remove PCIe connected to GPU inside, and display connected to GPU outside

Yes.

Do the gpus used for mining have any utility or will they just die soon?

yes

Their fans have been spinning at 100% for the past few months. Take a guess.

Gpus have a 3 year warranty.

What's the cheapest way to build a server solely to back up files from my main desktop? I live in Ireland.

Anyone got ram recommandations for the GA-AX370-Gaming 5 with a ryzen 7 1700
Max money I am willing to pay for ram is around 180 euro
location is germany

Buy a 2nd hand desktop. Buy a lot of HDDs and an enclosure. Setup a NAS.

Can I get a second opinion?
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/kzKcsJ

I'm not too cluey but I built my first PC 4yrs ago with your guys help and i really appreciated it.
>major software
Some video and photo editing (mostly GIMP), Skype, discord, VLC, etc; Nothing you'd consider noteworthy however I do like to dabble with the software packages Humble Bundle drops. OBS for streaming (not game streaming, just video capture via webcam).
>Games
Mostly OW and Darkest Dungeons, but I occasionally get better games via Humble; Dying Light, Far Cry Primal, Etc.
>Budget
Around 1-1.5k. I would prefer to make it as cheap as possible but from what I've been able to gather thus far I've trimmed as much fat as possible (minus the case, I know). All prices are in AUD.
>current build
I have a Haswell i5 (4760 I think?) 16GB DDR3, had a gtx660 that I upgraded into the 1060 you see in the list, mobo is Asus B45M(?). It has two 2TB HDD and a 60Gb SSD. If I could get a quote on what this may go for with the 660 that'd be awesome too as I can add that to the budget.

Love you guys

Go look at the QVL for your mobo and then look the brand and speed you want. Google the prices to see what is in your range.

>ram recommandations
Check the QVL and compare prices.

Looks good and fits your purpose. What are you looking to do? Upgrade? New build?

I am tech illiterate.

Will this GPU (PNY GTX 1080)
tomshardware.com/reviews/best-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-graphics-cards,4725-11.html

fit into this motherboard?

B350 PC MATE

msi.com/Motherboard/B350-PC-MATE.html#productSpecification-section

>sellers comments:
>"moderately broken in, works perfect!!!"

Yes. The real question is if it will fit into your case or not.

If you want new? A Celeron J3455 and some SATA hard drives that's only on your private LAN.
Used?

You have a 4 cores 4 threads CPU and you're "upgrading" into a 4 cores 4 threads CPU that has what, 5% better IPC if any? That's a huge waste of money you're doing, the difference will be less than minimal.
Either get a 6 cores R5 1600, better than that, or don't upgrade. A 4760 is still good for the tasks you're doing.

don't go i5. No one recommends it anymore.
AMD came out with the Ryzen 5 family. I'd recommend the Ryzen 5 1600 since it'll be better at streaming with discord, and a web browser up while gaming.
That's the beauty of 6 cores and 12 threads.

I think it will.

THis is the case

nzxt.com/products/s340-white

Yeah good to go senpai

>Buy a 2nd hand desktop.

Any requirements in particular?

I heard used Supermicros are good.

Nope, Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3.

Should I start lowering it little by little on a daily basis? What's a considered standard vcore value for a R5 1600 on stock clocks (3200mhz and up to 3700mhz in boost for a few cores)? Also, Win10 is still set as "normal" in the power options, should I set it to "maximum performances"? When I did I'd almost constantly see 1.380vcore on HwinFO64 so it scared me a bit.

Second question regarding Ryzen. I looked up the CPU usage with MSI Afterburner on games and too often the last 6 threads were shown at 0 or something 6 or so, which led me to think HT was off, but when I'd benchmark the CPU everything was maxed to 100% and the scores I'd get were the same as other people on internet. Under Task Manager, CPU tab, "Virtualization" (I don't know if it's called like this in English) is shown as "Yes" on my 7700K PC but on the Ryzen one it's on "No" - could it be it? I'll check the BIOS next time I'm on it (it's my sibling's) but could HT (SMT?) be potentially off?

New build (getting a 5k bonus) and it's been a while since I built my last computer, and I really enjoyed the process. The old build is in a define R4 which is why I chose to stick with another fractal design case as they're top notch, if a little heavy. I would love to have a Level 10GT just because I fell in love from the moment I saw it but $400 for a case is dumb.
>upgrade
I'm not even sure how I could "upgrade" with my current build; it's sorta stuck with old gen stuff.
I was thinking this desu; after I got my 1060 I'm no longer bottle necked anywhere from I can see. I think I just wanna build for the sake of building desu.
Alrighty thanks user, I'll go review with the AMD core. nvida GPU should work fine on an AMD mobo right?

Anything will do so long as it isn't complete fucking garbage. You only need it for a front end anyway.

>nvida GPU should work fine on an AMD mobo right?
yes
Also,
youtube.com/watch?v=bBKHsMar1Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ovmxfejvo
youtu.be/JypkqwpOtNI?t=8m

So even just a cheap Core2Duo? How much ram should I get?

Should my server run 24/7? I only really need it running when I'm using my desktop; though it would be handy if I could access remotely via my laptop.

How energy efficient are servers?

Dumb question, I have a windows 8 pro licence (in box never used) will the activation key work on windows 10 if I download it from Microsofts website?

adverts.ie/servers/hp-dl140-proliant-server-intel-xeon/13195718

Even this thing for example?

You are planning to make an NAS right?
Eh 4gb should be more then you will ever need.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Cns8cc
not bad atually, only that the MoBo doesn´t have wifi, which is something sometimes desired on a HTPC, plus buetooth.

Also, th audio solution can be a bottleneck , depending on your audio system

Purely to back up my work files for my thesis. Also to back up my chinese cartoons.

mediaexperience.com/nas-storage-guide/

Here is a good guide

Thanks for the links, all but convinced me that it's worth dipping my toes into AMD. I also save myself just shy of $200.
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/rxsmzM

what's the difference between G4560 or G4600?

they are pretty much the same, right?

>mediaexperience.com/nas-storage-guide/
Thank you.

Say, can a Raspbery Pi do the job?

The processor is only there to make sure you can access the storage off site.

The latter has a 100MHz clock bump, and that's it. The G4560 was much better value due to being $20 cheaper, but Intel have engaged kike mode and strangled the supply of them, so they've gone up in price compared to a couple of months ago.

How is this build?

Will be ordering parts tonight, any additional advice would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.

Should I buy a 4gb 580 for $330?

I don't plan on selling it.

A Raspberry Pi then may be the best thing for me. It's cheap and quiet.

Is it possible to go with 250W psu with gt 1030 and ryzen 1600?

>all but convinced me that it's worth dipping my toes into AMD
That sentence means that it did everything but convinced you
Also, you don't need that cooler unless you want to overclock, but do you really need to overclock (right now) when you have plenty of power already at hand? The stock cooler can handle decent overclocks even, my R7 1700 (8 cores) can take a 3.7GHz overclock without much problem as long as i'm not at 100% load for over 20 minutes

You might as well get a 1060 as that point.

That 1060 is a housefire.

Have you checked your mobo QVL?
Everything else looks fine.

Is this ok or am i going to burn my house with this card

>Torture loop
>Not even above 100 degrees
You will be fine

this isn't even the same card

So I might as well get the G4600 then since the G4560 is now priced the same or higher?

Who said it was?

Shhhhhhh

Anyone?

DELID DIS STUPID GOY

Yes.

What's a good modular PSU that has the cord length for full sized towers? I'm wanting to further maximise my airflow this build but it seems a lack of reach in full sized airflow towers is a really common complaint for every modular PSU I've browsed the comments for.