Alright boys, I took the meme plunge into Arch. Does Sup Forums have an essential package/setup list lying around?

Alright boys, I took the meme plunge into Arch. Does Sup Forums have an essential package/setup list lying around?

What do to not fuck this up?

>inb4 uninstall

Other urls found in this thread:

suckless.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

uninstall

Just get win 10 and install bash on ubuntu on windows.

wyatt this was supposed to be a thraed

gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo gentoo

Naw, I chose Arch partially do to its modular nature so I wont feel too bad about starting over, I get to practice my bash, and really learn the ins and outs of different packages and setups. Its a deeper dive than my usual linux stuff (been ssh-ing into an ubuntu server from my windows puter) but I got it installed and running except for wifi which im working on now.

Theres gotta be some essential consensus tho.

>2017
>falling for the arch meme

I think the build essential packages are installed with base and base-devel. If you mean essential packages for Arch, what you'll find is that Arch is what you make it. Treat it like Legos.

>What do to not fuck this up?
Arch's Wiki and forums are among the finest. I refer to them even if I'm working on other distributions. Familiarize yourself with the those. Read PKGBUILD's, check their home-page for announcements periodically. when using the AUR check comments for issues.

The more you put in the more you get out. Arch can be a rubber band shooter or a howitzer.

You can't be serious. You can't even edit Linux files.

>there's gotta be an essential consensus tho
The whole point of arch, to me, is that there isn't a consensus. I don't like installing something like ubuntu and having almost 2,000 packages from the start.

That's pretty much how I think of arch.
>ubuntu with a more desirable package manager and no bloat

Chekd
Ya didn't mean literal essentials as I base and base-devel, more looking for Sup Forums recommendations for which Lego sets to get. Though the wiki has been a huge help and got me this far.

Arch is the only respectable distro.

oh my god this is my first time I came

I would what you're looking to do. If it's build yourself a desktop environment, I'd consider if you want to go with something pre-packaged like Gnome/KDE/etc, or if you're trying to make something custom.

I'm basically riced out toes to tits.
WM
>dwm+dmenu+compton
Web
>tabbed+surf
Shell
>st+zsh+powerline

I'm a huge suckless.org/ fan-boy though.

Read the wiki on suggested programs...

This was helpful, will check out suckless

Obviously could have done that, but I came here for the memes

their philosophy is really patrician if you ask me (shill from previous post). Check out their tools section too for stuff that is novel, fun, and usable. perfect example, sic and ii. both are just irc clients, but implemented in really interesting ways that allow for awesome hacking. sic uses only stdin and stdout for everything, ii uses fifo files for input and output so when you join an irc server it becomes a directory of files:
patrick~irctree
└── localhost
├── #dota2
│ ├── in
│ └── out
├── #general
│ ├── in
│ └── out

I've got only one: If you want to install KDE Plasma on a Laptop with Intel/Nvidia graphic, install SSDM right after xorg basics or you would be stuck in a black screen

>essential package/setup list
da fak is that?

>spot the faggot who never tried it
>or be too lame to do it

Arch wiki

>no bloat
another retard it is, you should research a little more about the distro you are using.

There really isn't a such thing. The whole point of arch being so small and minimal is that YOU can make it what YOU want it. When talking about arch people often say that no two arch builds are the same.

To answer your question, the essential stuff is already there once you install it and get a DE going. After that you install whatever the heck packages you want.

I'm lazy and I'm not a fan of the arch way so I just installed Ubuntu, put i3 on it, and made it look nice.