So do you guys actually believe that putting together a desktop is some valuable and elitist skill?

So do you guys actually believe that putting together a desktop is some valuable and elitist skill?

my cousin is seven and she put together a desktop yesterday. its literally five components that just plug in and then a handful of cords.

I see people on this board boast about "building" a pc when really they are doing something that is easier than assembling ikea furniture.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If xe's a nigger then you should call to journalists! Because it's a BIG fucking thing!

dat virgin slouch

bmp

Geeks do that, not virgins specifically

Putting a computer together was probably one of the easiest things I've ever done. If you think you're hot shit then take a VCR apart and put it back to together.

>take a VCR apart
A what?

Male geeks are usually virgins

Correlation =/= casuation

It's a thing that people used to timeshift television before the internet replaced everything.

I had a pretty active social and sex life in my teens and early 20's, yet I'm am and mostly always was a NEET that spent most of hes time on technology.

>television
U wot?

I know I'm taking the bait, but...

The act of building a PC, itself, is simple. Anyone could do it. The real value comes from the learning process of selecting compatible parts, learning at least a little about what each component does, and what it affects, (hopefully) learning to be a more savvy consumer, and the care and maintenance that goes into it, after the fact.

I learned more about PC's through the process of building one, than I ever learned through just using one. I eventually learned proper file management, how to keep my hard disk space tidy, driver and device troubleshooting, and gained enough interest to pursue more "advanced" computer knowledge, because I was proud of what I had built, even if it was pretty much assembling a Lego set.

My wife now knows more about computers than I did 10 years ago, simply because I was there to teach her, and when my son learns to read, I'm going to begin teaching him the same concepts, and eventually help him build his first PC.

If everyone built and maintained at least 1 PC, in their lives, the world would definitely be a better place.

wow
i could write similar bullshit about brushing my teeth but that still doesn't change the fact that even a monkey could be trained to do it

get the fuck out of here.

"building" a pc is piss easy. Being proud of it is as asinine as being proud of making a bowl of cereal.

You're what pp's taking about. Get over yourself.

A monkey can be trained to fix most things on a car, but does that make the skill any less valuable?

>implying you weren't proud as fuck after your first build.
>stop enjoying technology

(you) are the real problem

A car is an order of magnitude more complicated than a desktop computer and I do not believe a monkey could be trained to do anything more than changing a fluid.

no, fixing a car is a somewhat valuable skill, building a pc isn't

>proud as fuck after your first build
your life must be really sad, i did my "first build" when i was 12, picked all the parts, etc. but it didn't brag on the internet about it, nor thought that i achieved something great.

Anyone can be told what to do when its laid out in front of them. Its the picking compatible parts and knowing exactly what the most effective cost to performance measures are. Its like any other skill, the more you know the better you'll do.

It's easy.. If you just buy parts and put them together
Like IKEA chair.

BUT, if you are making PC with custom watercooling system, in non typical case (like inside table, or on wall) with fucking gento on it, it's not that simple.
Like having axe and a pice of wood, now make your chair.

Please, show me on the doll, exactly where my post hurt you, user.

>i did my "first build" when i was 12
Didn't happen

>fixing a car is a somewhat valuable skill, building a pc isn't

The only real difference is one is a means of transportation, the other is a means of communication.

Both can lead you to job opportunities, or at least make you money on the side. Both save you money by not having to contact professionals to solve simple problems. Both teach you care and maintenance. Both give you a sense of pride, upon a successful repair/ build/ improvement, unless you're a sociopath.

Hell, both even base their worth on speed, most of the time.

t. /o/

Only if you're 15....

youtube.com/watch?v=8G9QIIvSpzE

>Didn't happen
did happen, athlon xp 3000+, gfx 5600 ultra, 180gb hdd (fucking windows xp only recognized 127gb without some registry hack).. whats so hard to believe about it ?

Your wrong. In fact. Learning about computer hardware means almost nothing
>IT HAS 4000000 ghzzz AND IS COMOATIBLE WITH LGA HFJFKSH L, NOW I UAVE KNOWLEDGE THAT I CAN TAKE AND USE...... Oh.
Don't get me wrong. Learning about hardware at that layer or abstraction is nice and makes you feel smart. It just doesn't mean much.

Building a desktop is underwhelming, but it can feel like an achievement if you're a poorfag and you spent some time saving up and optimising the build based on your budget.

Nothing better than that 'bang for your buck' feel, and the finality of waiting weeks for your next wagecuck slip enhances what is (these days especially) a pretty basic set-up.

literally did not happen.

But even if it did
>but it didn't brag on the internet about it
You just did.

And highlighting that you were """"12"""" indicates that you hold a level of pride about it. Acting as if it were "no big deal" to others in the tech community only further solidifies that notion, in an attempt to come off as some sort of "whiz kid".

You forget that most people don't even know what RAM stands for, much less what it does, what it affects, or that there are different types. Most also don't know what the fuck the difference in a discrete and integrated GPU is, that there are different CPU sockets, etc. etc.

You're pretty much required to learn those, and some other basics, when building a PC, and it inherently provides you with knowledge of how to do simple repairs, as well. I'm sure if you think hard enough, you can remember a time before you knew much about computers, and the dumb shit you used to think.

*(You)'re

They have knowledge they can use for....well building and repairing fucking computers. Like how is this hard to understand? You can make an entire business out of that skill, or at the very least job up in a business requiring that skill. Besides that the general consensus is that having the ability to build and repair computers is a useful skill to have for your home. Not only can you avoid high costs of paying someone to fix your pc (another job you could work with this skill) but you can also upgrade the system so you won't have to pay money for an entire system again.

she didn't need to deal with matching memory types, IRQ jumpers, manually configuring DOS drivers, or setting bios CHS values
nothing terribly difficult, but not the same as it is now, where everything is self-configuring

>So do you guys actually believe that putting together a desktop is some valuable and elitist skill?
Can you link to anyone on Sup Forums making this argument? I mostly see people saying that it's stupid to buy prebuilt PCs (and expensive laptops) precisely because it is so easy to put one together.

this, desu senpai

Computer building has gotten significantly easier. Most MBs perfectly detect components perfectly so you don't even have to touch the BIOS on a new build to get a first boot.

male autists are virgins. Not all male geeks are autists. Some of them are socially adept chads. you can just look some up on youtube or watch the big bang theory. The geeks get laid in that show

But there are a lot of people that dont know how to do that

It is extremely easy to do, hence why those of us who have done it look down on those who have not or refuse to.

>I see people on this board boast about "building" a pc when really they are doing something that is easier than assembling ikea furniture.
Hence why it's fun, don't you get a little twinge of pride when you build something?

Furniture? House decoration? Gardening? Lego?

I just finished the Lego Deathstar with my son, and we were proud as shit of that motherfucker. Posted it all over.

Built my first when I was 10, any retard who has played with Legos once in his life can do it.

>when I was 10
So you did literally zero of the hard part, daddy researched and bought the parts for you, and you just stuck them in the hole, not even knowing what the hell they were for. Did you at least install your own OS? Did daddy apply his thermal paste to your forehead?

Good job.

did she select the right components for future proofing? thats the real skill

>dat shaved neck

>Learning about hardware at that layer or abstraction
>implying your average builder/vidya gaymer has any knowledge of hardware beyond that a 5 year old could get by skimming wiki articles and anandtom's hardware
>implying your average pajeet 2 weeks into comparch 101 at a decent uni is not immensely more informed on topic than all the /pcbg/ 14 year olds put together

How could you afford so much toys, but use such a shitty display?

You can job up in janitorial business too, doesn't mean that an ability to push wet mops is an achievement.

>all these jason pictures

Pushing mops isn't skilled labor, computer repair is.

a janitor has already achieved more than the underage larpers on Sup Forums simply by being employed.

do you work at a theatre? you're pretty good at projection
not the same person, but i put together machines around that age as well, with zero help from anyone
my parents didn't, and still don't, know anything about computers, and i didn't have access to the internet to begin with either
i learned enough simply by pulling apart and piecing together machines and parts gotten from flea markets, garage sales, and recycling centres

ok kiddo