Sup Forums pill me on UE4

Anybody using it here? How long did it take to learn? Things to watch out for?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/QuickStart/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OpenGL, GLFW and soundio is all you need.

Its probably way too heavy and complicated for what you wanna do. Otherwise it has good performance, uses a clean high level subset of C++ as a "scripting" language, and its still better than this Unity pile of shit

>it has good performance
Not if you need to have many actors on your map

The C++ integration is nice, has documentation out the ass, a thriving community, a nice plethora of tools built in, and isn't hard to learn or use. FOSS, too.

>Otherwise it has good performance, uses a clean high level subset of C++ as a "scripting" language, and its still better than this Unity pile of shit
This, also it seems to be the engine that takes particle effects serious the most.

Blueprints are pretty powerful by themselves. You only need to code for stuff that you just can't do properly (which is rare and advanced stuff) or if the blueprint runs slower than others (which you can easily cook into c++ code).

nah nah it has very good performance all things considered, currently the best engine

It's crap. Blueprint just gets in the way, it's a ballache. It used to be that you could just write your Unreal Engine game in sepples (using the admittedly atrociously bloated API and unpleasant conventions forced on you), but those days are gone.

>has documentation out the ass
it's often outdated though.

>want to do something but unsure how to achieve it with UE
>find official guide to achieving this, or a wiki page
>everything has fucking changed since the guide was written

>It used to be that you could just write your Unreal Engine game in sepples (using the admittedly atrociously bloated API and unpleasant conventions forced on you), but those days are gone.
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/QuickStart/index.html

Everything you do has to be woven into Blueprint classes. As I said, it is a ballache.

>Everything you do has to be woven into Blueprint classes. As I said, it is a ballache.
As in, every game object must inherit certain things and follow certain conventions?

Seems reasonable, tho. Allows artists in AAA studios to directly use developers code.

It's clearly not an indie engine.

As somebody who's been learning UE4 on their own starting out with the official documentation this is a blatant lie. The only major differences I've found are UI elements being slightly changed or adjusted which aren't hard to find in the first place. The only "problem" I remember is in the Endless runner video tutorial one blueprint node was different due to being updated. The fix was clearly found in the comments for said video.

Are you 1 man army?
It takes shitload of time to produce something simple by yourself. ~2 years without using marketplace.

>AAA studios
wait what? how many hours per day?

Yeah I am.
How simple are we talking about here? Platformer simple?

hear hear

Yup. Just look at most 1-man-army platformers &co. They took anywhere from 2-5+ years to make.

If I wanted to make a low poly exploration game, UE4 would be too heavy, right? I was originally thinking about making it in Unity but now I'm not so sure. Is it really as bad as everyone says it is?

I wouldnt consider UE4 too heavy for any game, its just your game is simpler and wouldn't need to use all the features UE4 has to offer. Just use whatever engine is better for you, give both a try.

I'll definitely give both of them a try then. Thanks user.

>follow guide how to make your own movement component
>ah nope the process of making a component is different and movement component class name has changed and i cannot find the new name
absolutely Epic

Why do you say that Unity is a pile of shit? Can you enumerate reasons why?

Its a bit bloated but then again its got a lot of useful stuff in designed to help you make a damn game instead of writing a fucking engine.

UE4 is easily the best engine because behavior tress are event driven and condionals are not leaf nodes. Parallel nodes can be confusing. Services and simple parallel nodes create trees that are easier to understand, easier to debug and event-driven trees easier to optimize if they do not have a lot of subtrees simultaneously executing

I know this is meme and I'm not OP but there aren't any open source physics engines, are there? I used to love floppy ragdolls when I was a kid and I want to mess with some physics in my spare time but I'm not willing to pay fortune for it.

hmm what about that unreal engine 4?

Bullet3D. Chipmunk and Box2D for 2D.

That's too much for what I'm doing and I don't want to register an account to use it.

Hm, I'm going to check those out. Thank you, user.