Why does it take forever for linux distros to start up? fedora in particular takes forever to start...

Why does it take forever for linux distros to start up? fedora in particular takes forever to start. it takes longer than windows. They need to fix that

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Improving_performance/Boot_process#Using_systemd-analyze
askubuntu.com/questions/800479/ubuntu-16-04-slow-boot-apt-daily-service
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install gentoo

Thats a problem with Fedora more than anything else. Shit show

Works on my machine. Gentoo on an SSD with OpenRC boots up in just under 6 seconds. Would probably boot faster with systemD, but fuck systemD.

it think is systemd shit, like those big ass logs and all that stuff. i was running fedora but now installed devuan, everything is just fine

I use Debian on all of my machines and I only notice the slowness on old hardware. Even my Core2 machines with SSDs boot in like 3 seconds.

Just use SSDs as your boot drives.

Fedora is bloated as hell

Decided to boot windows 10 this morning and update.
Two and a half hours downloading updates and 50 minutes rebooting so far.

i have pic-related

are there any linux distros that don't have systemd that will work on it? for some reason ubuntu/debian/arch linux distros wont boot on it. I don't know why. it must be the firmware. I have only got fedora to boot on it

I don't think it's systemd, my Arch machine boots up in less than 10 seconds.

>Would probably boot faster with systemD
Systemd reduces boot times.

>in less than 10 seconds
>doesn't encrypt

Turn off secure boot and turn on legacy mode in the BIOS. Otherwise, just use Fedora.

yeah, it must have been a bunch of services i remember some dnf cache stuff that took like 2 minutes on every startup, i didn't feel like fixing that shit
must be a bootloader problem, does that thing use uefi ? i'd install any of those first distros and then fix the bootloader from an ubuntu live cd with boot-repair, it just works.

use sleep instead of shutdown

I don't have SSD and both Fedora and Ubuntu boots in 75s. Can't compare to Windows because my last Windows installation was terribly bloated with Lenovo factory bloatware and it took 3 minutes.
Systemd shoud be blazing when virtualized and in containers. It's aggressive parallelization for starting services sounds like a good idea and gets rig of dependencies between them. So it's probably distros' fault, because on Gentoo or Void I get 30s boottime without tinkering.

Startup finished in 19.475s (kernel) + 26.021s (userspace) = 45.497s

Is this bad?

I decided to drive my car today. 30 minutes of driving to a gas station and filling up gas.

Also had to take it to a mechanic to tune it up. Took 5 hours.

>Startup finished in 1.548s (firmware) + 5.923s (loader) + 1.149s (kernel) + 3.051s (initrd) + 23.840s (userspace) = 35.514s
I'm on SSD.

Mine is a ST1000DM003-9YN162 external drive, cpu is a6-3410mx

Isn't that exactly what that means?

I'm not my PC, but I think "systemd-analyse blame" will show you whats delaying boot.

bash: systemd-analyze: command not found

checked systemd-analyze on fresh Fedora (after updates and shit)
Startup finished in 1.862s (kernel) + 5.114s (initrd) + 40.718s (userspace) = 47.695s

Userspace and Gnome (not included) takes the most time.

Are you sure you're even running systemd?

I'm experiencing this on Ubuntu too. I have an SSD. Windows boots in probably 1/5 of the time. It feels like it's 1998 again.

Sure showed me.
My windows update only took 4 hours.

Give us the details of userspace?

$ systemd-analyze blame

18s on cold boot
Not that bad, if you are impatient you can always sleep instead of shutting down like windows

"systemd-analyze blame" got a "command not found" error, but systemd-analyze gave pic related.

No idea why blame isn't working for you guys.

There's heaps of ways to visualize boot performance tho, have a look here wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Improving_performance/Boot_process#Using_systemd-analyze

Click Esc while booting to see if anything is going wrong, mine too half a minute to start up because I deleted my swap partition and forgot to update fstab. Now it takes a few seconds

>Not that bad, if you are impatient you can always sleep instead of shutting down like windows

I never understand these sentences. Does this mean sleep like windows, or shut down like windows?

did you mean it snarky? like an
>implying Systemd reduces boot times...
kind of way?

Did you last boot your 486 up 3 years ago?

No I didn't. I never used systemD but I've seen plenty of anons using it and getting far better boot times than other init systems.

$ systemd-analyze blame
13.077s plymouth-quit-wait.service
12.680s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
9.150s lvm2-monitor.service
8.676s dnf-makecache.service
8.586s akmods.service
7.969s systemd-udev-settle.service
7.478s firewalld.service
7.014s dev-mapper-fedora\x2droot.device
6.946s libvirtd.service
5.901s systemd-journald.service
5.161s lvm2-pvscan@8:2.service
... and bunch of sub 5s

what kind of shit do you drive bro?

BMW.

>plymouth-quit-wait.service
>NetworkManager-wait-online.service
Disable these, you don't need them, and they're literally just sitting there holding up boot.

me too - e46 and i only change oil, filters and brake pads once a year. nothing else breaks.

FFS, you fucking spergs! Just install Solus already. Boots in 3s!

> they're literally just sitting there holding up boot
Not sure about that, they should run in parallel since time sum is ~1m30s and analize reports 41s.

Encrypted drive, SELinux

Oh and if you have SSD then you probably have the fstrim service running also. That shit takes like 20sec to start on boot also.

Startup finished in 1.592s (kernel) + 11.287s (initrd) + 9.145s (userspace) = 22.025s

5-year-old Thinkpad/SSD, encrypted Fedora (dib:DD)

I rebooted and now it works. These are the results of systemd-analyze, systemd-analyze blame and systemd-analyze critical-chain

Image 1/2

Image 2/2

I don't really know what to tell from this, though.

and yet fedora is the has been the best distro for several years now, funny how that works.

let me know when wayland supports everything.

does that make you feel important?
are you some sort of drug kingpin?

sleep like windows, windoez doesn't shut down

(((They)))

Startup finished in 2.419s (kernel) + 10.544s (initrd) + 11.058s (userspace) = 24.022s

SSD on a T430, encrypted papa dora

Get on my level, nigs

is this good

Maybe you're right about the plymouth service, but not NetworkManager-wait-online.service. It runs afters some services, and some services also run after, but it doesn't do anything but wait uselessly. You can check with systemd-analyze plot > output.svg if it runs running parallel or not. Pic related, 8 seconds of nothing before I masked it.

This should help you user askubuntu.com/questions/800479/ubuntu-16-04-slow-boot-apt-daily-service

Get on my level fags.

UBUNTU
B
U
N
T
U

Why would you use red-hat beta? Anyways, it's probably some systemd service hanging it.

CloverOS starts instantly desu

Arch literally takes less than ten seconds every time the computer is powered down properly (maybe 30 seconds with a disk check) while Windows takes about 2 to 5 minutes depending on the day.

Arch.