So Sup Forums are C and Java meme languages or are they worth learning?

So Sup Forums are C and Java meme languages or are they worth learning?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rJQ9EptEi9I
blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/a/2011/twitter-search-is-now-3x-faster.html
spectrum.ieee.org/ns/IEEE_TPL_2016/methods.html
learncodethehardway.org/c/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>meme
that word has lost all its meaning

I don't think it matters what language you learn as long as you can do stuff with it. That said, learning C will give you a basic knowledge of how stuff works, you'll learn the limitations of programming and of the language itself. From there you should decide what you want to do next and choose a language accordingly.

Get a Macbook, write a Hello World program in Python, and you're set. You can teach at code camps for girls.

no, there are two languages that every programmer should have a decent command of

>you'll learn the limitations of programming
nah, only the language

Checked your quads so hard I made myself learn some python 3 years ago. Fuck macbooks though, overpriced crap with an abysmal OS and soldered components.

Don't believe the shills. They'd say Java code is fast. Sure, but actual Java apps are slow and bloated as hell. Software with good performance is written in C/C++.

So aside from people taking classes and them ending, at what point do you stop studying a language and move onto something else? What is someone supposed to be able to do with these languages for the sake of understanding how to use them?

Why do people talk about learning languages? Don't learn a language, learn to program. The core concepts behind all languages are the same, once you understand them you'll be able to pick up any language in a day with a little googling.

>type ebay.com
>press enter
>it loads in 2 seconds
seems fast enough for me

Marketability I would say, job requirements listing specific languages. Problem solving and logic aren't enough to just be able to switch to any language when the syntax and built in functions are needed to be known inside and out.

The alternatives for webdev are slower.

spark and hadoop are widely used in high performance data processing. both run on the jvm. all you're doing is repeating a false meme

Java mostly is a bunch of shit

it's like Javascript in that you'll never make anything that is impressively fast

C is patrician and the best language

>t. NEET/washing machine programmer

C is worth learning.
Java and C++ are also worth learning, but C is much better.
"Meme" languages are the newer ones.

>implying you can't use C on the web

>python 3

honestly just learn js, C, and haskell

no, they're implying that you typically don't

>Java code is fast.
Given an larger input this holds as true. Also, Java needs a platform to be run, which is the JVM, and you can tune the JVM to make it run faster.

>apps
Desktop/Server programs or Mobile programs if is the latter then a completely different thing might be going on.

Idiomatic Java is on par with C++. Java being any order of magnitude slower than C++ or C is simply wrong.

However, poorly written Java, better known around here as Pajeet Java, is much slower than many other languages, and on account of Rajesh's fondness for it, is very prevalent

Not only Java. You can program inefficient code in every language not only java

Yes but bad code from other languages hasn't reached the extent that bad Java code has. Which is where I think the meme comes from.

Well that and for early versions of the Java the meme did hold true.

Name one (1) fast program written in Java.

python 2 is literally shit

Too bad you need 3x the servers to make that happen

and 0.33x development time. servers are cheaper than time and programmers

Minecraft

It doesn't take long to learn a programming language, so any language is worth learning if you plan on using it.

Generally you learn a single language as a way to learn programming.
Once you know programming, learning the language is very easy.
There is so many misconceptions on programming languages, it could be beneficial to create a guide.

No.

youtube.com/watch?v=rJQ9EptEi9I

Good lord the comments on that video are more autistic than Sup Forums

mostly but for example going from imperative/procedural to functional (or the other way around) isn't just as easy as "knowing how to program"

where is C used in mobile app development? I am guessing they refer to libraries but in that is true then C is also used on the web as most libraries are written in C.

minecraft was written very poorly

twitter search engine
blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/a/2011/twitter-search-is-now-3x-faster.html

androids written in c i think, most low level stuff uses it

>Java mostly is a bunch of shit
I can see why the pajeets like it.

>We labeled each language according to whether or not it finds significant use in one or more of the following categories: Web, mobile, enterprise/desktop, or embedded environments.

that's all they wrote. I think there's a decent amount of mobile apps written in C/C++, mostly games

>androids written in c i think
20% of android's core is indeed C, but if that were their logic then C/C++ would have been assigned the "web" category as well because ngnix and apache are both written in C and ISS is written in C++

that "info" graph is stupid anyway, some undefined spectrum rating that fails to include all of the spectrum, probably discounting actual popularity

spectrum.ieee.org/ns/IEEE_TPL_2016/methods.html
not undefined, doesn't discount popularity

C is officially the most reddit programming language of 2016

their tracking methods are a bit terrible since theyre not estimating private code and only account for hits on their websites like re¢¢it and hacker news

>theyre not estimating private code
but of course they do. they include job offers
the reddit neet language of C expectedly drops to 5th place when you only look at jobs

Apache Cassandra

Is Rust superior to C++/Java? Is it better to start with C and go to Rust?

at least you don't need brackets around print statements
>we'll upgrade a language that is SLOW but popular because it is quick and easy to produce working code
>'upgrade' involves making the programmer type more

Them quads don't lie

it improved consistency by removing an unnecessary special statement. if pressing '(' is a problem for you then I suggest taking typing lessons

2 to 3 was a massive fuckup but at least they fixed (most of) the unicode handling

You should stop posting on the internet until you understand why C and C++ are two very different languages that can't be joined the way your shitty picture does it.

What do people dislike about Python?
t. someone starting out with learning Python

>and 0.33x development time.
Java is verbose as fuck what are you talking about, it has way more boilerplate shit than C/C++

writing boilerplate can be easily automated by an IDE and by code generators. and then it has automatic memory management, ridiculous amount of well-documented mature libraries and a straightforward syntax.
if higher level applications were easier to develop with C/C++ then Java wouldn't exist. and yet it has taken world by storm in the last years of the previous century.

Java isn't sexy but it'll get you a job.

JUST
LEARN
KOTLIN
YOU
DOUBLE
NIGGER

Someone point me towards some C learning resources

Captcha: toilet gains

No more designated shitting streets for me

Anyone?

Depends on what you want to do with it. Industy-wise Go has gotten a lot more traction than Rust if you're looking for a modern system programming language.

Depends, do you know how to program in another language already?

Several Pajeet languages, yes.

Also some m68k assembly, don't ask.

Then I would recommend this: learncodethehardway.org/c/

If you don't want to pay you can get the pdf elsewhere, make a search.

That book is absolute garbage. Zed Shaw is a fucking hack, and his books are fucking terrible.
It's literally just "copy my poorly explained examples".

>Industy-wise Go has gotten a lot more traction than Rust if you're looking for a modern system programming language.
it's not used in the industry as a systems programming language at all

Go is not a systems programming language, idiot.

Ah, looks like you're right. I'm a retard that doesn't know what "system programming" is. Looks like the term I was looking for was "application programming" (e.g. backends for webapps).

>You can program inefficient code in every language not only java
I see you guys are talking about me again

Beej?