/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Non-Believers:
[YouTube] John 5 - Jesus Christ, the Righteous Judge (embed)

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE (embed)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

casio.co.uk/support/servicing-and-repairs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for 00/57

First for rich guys wearing sensible watches.

First for people who have 5%+ of their net worth tied up in a watch being foolish

>using watches on 2017
l o l

I don't care what you guys think, I've fallen in love with this watch.

very classy with the gold clasp leather band

i hope you are over 45

>What's odd is a $100,000 solid gold tribulon (however you spell it) is literally a worse watch in every way than a digital
1) not talking about 100k watches
2) define worse, because according to this logic any quartz is "better" than any mechanical watch.

>it's like you thinking they are weird for not riding horses
No, it's like me thinking they are weird for driving a 1999 Honda accords as their only car despite being rich af.

>the watch he wears does not look fancy, it looks like a casio quartz lcd
Then it's not so much a shitter as it is a cheap digital watch.
Shitters tend to want to look fancy without actually being fancy.

>Submariner over Seamaster
>choosing to be inferior

a solid gold speedy is tacky as hell op

no need to guild the lily

>2) define worse, because according to this logic any quartz is "better" than any mechanical watch.
makes it pretty easy to define then does it not?
>Then it's not so much a shitter as it is a cheap digital watch.
It's a $150 LCD watch, it looks perfectly fine.

he does drive an all wheel drive Porsche Turbo 911 though

In the Ian Flemming books it says bond wore a rolex

lol I'm 21

First for best solar with yellow windy knob stripe

yeah well Ian Flemming is dead faggot get with the times

What's the niggest watch I can get? All my friends got diamond rolexes and AP's and hublows, I'd get a PP but they all look really plain.

why is that?

is there fact in your statement or matter of oipinion?

>yeah well Ian Flemming is dead faggot get with the times
logic

the omega is a less robust watch that is more expensive to service and more finicky

if bond were up with the times he would wear some kind of quartz with a back up phone in it, let's be real. Professionals don't wear mechanicals anymore

>makes it pretty easy to define then does it not?
If timekeeping performance is all that matters, then a 2$ egg timer is "better" than a Dufour Simplicité.

>It's a $150 LCD watch, it looks perfectly fine.
ok?

>he does drive an all wheel drive Porsche Turbo 911 though
Makes sense if you're rich.
Same reason wearing a nice watch makes more sense if you're rich than wearing a shitter.

>tacky as hell

how do you come to that conclusion?

Anyone who doesn't live on the coasts of United States needs to be banned from posting, they have convoluted sense of socioeconomic values and principles.

Solid gold watches or gold plated watches are kind of tacky on a young man user

>komanderskie is out for delivery with the postman

I would disagree with that statement, I know many people who work out in the bush for months at a time. Literally hundreds of clicks from any sort of infrastructure. I know for a fact that they value automatic watches very highly.

>If timekeeping performance is all that matters, then a 2$ egg timer is "better" than a Dufour Simplicité.

no it's not, you can't easily wear it, it does not have a light for the night and it does not display the date or otherwise function well as a watch

a casio is fine though

if you want a rolly then by all means go buy one, I am just saying it is not unusual in the least to see millionaires walking around with sub 200$ watches that's all

you said it was odd, it's not

what is your reasoning for that statement? honestly curious as to why people believe this.

>no it's not, you can't easily wear it, it does not have a light for the night and it does not display the date or otherwise function well as a watch
How are wearability, nighttime visibility, and date function related to timekeeping?

>you said it was odd, it's not
Yes it is.

>Same reason wearing a nice watch makes more sense if you're rich than wearing a shitter.

If you don't like keeping your watch wound and setting it if you don't wear it for a day and a half and you don't give a fuck what anyone thinks, some quartz watch literally makes more sense. A rolex is basically 1940-50s tech user

>what is your reasoning for that statement? honestly curious as to why people believe this.
Why does it look tacky to wear a diamond studded watch with ruby markers?

it just does

>>you said it was odd, it's not
>Yes it is.

It might be odd in your mind as in "i think that is odd" but it's not odd in the sense that lots of rich guys literally don't wear expensive watches and it's not unusual to see them wearing cheap sensible watches (sub $5000 shitters)

I know a bunch of millionaires brah, im not wrong

I'm talking about rich people wearing shitters; i.e. cheap shit watches that try to look like nice watches.

In general, it makes little sense to choose the cheaper option if money is not an object for you.

i'd dare say that is equivalent to the hyperbolic watch you described.

While I would agree that what you described is quite tacky, I would very much disagree with the broad statement that all gold watches on people younger than 45 years of age is tacky, unless you give me a reason to think otherwise that is.

>I'm talking about rich people wearing shitters; i.e. cheap shit watches that try to look like nice watches.
rich people don't do that, they buy sensible good looking watches
>In general, it makes little sense to choose the cheaper option if money is not an object for you.

If money were no object, a $15,000 mechanical is simply more of a hassle than a solar casio

the watches are not equal, the 15k watch might get you mugged or at least annoyed when you have to keep setting it, it's a worse tool in every way and provides no benefit to the non hobbyist.

>While I would agree that what you described is quite tacky, I would very much disagree with the broad statement that all gold watches on people younger than 45 years of age is tacky, unless you give me a reason to think otherwise that is.

A seiko meant to look like it is made of solid gold? I mean why. it does not look very good, we know it's not real gold, stainless was fine for neil armstrong and james bond

if you are going solid gold might as well throw some rubys on there too

>rich people don't do that
They do, but it's odd.

>If money were no object, a $15,000 mechanical is simply more of a hassle than a solar casio
Again, nothing wrong with wearing a cheap digital watch that looks like a cheap digital watch. Even if you're rich.

When rich people start wearing $ 300 automatic Tissot shitters, that's when it gets odd.

>how do you come to that conclusion?
>Anyone who doesn't live on the coasts of United States needs to be banned from posting, they have convoluted sense of socioeconomic values and principles.

Would you think a gold plated gull wing Mercedes looked good??

>When rich people start wearing $ 300 automatic Tissot shitters, that's when it gets odd.

i will agree with you there but i have never seen this happen

among the richfags I know the most popular thing are those fucking fitness trackers, and talking about how many steps they take in a day

of course not, how would that even be comparable to a gold watch?

What is /wt/'s hive-mind opinion on Invicta? Vote now!

>of course not, how would that even be comparable to a gold watch?
because the speedy is a tool watch that was meant to be stainless and go to the mooooon

it's like gold plating an HK MP5, it's silly

fairly well made but too many INVICTA logos all over it

and a subby knockoff

i haven't worn my terrorist watch since the resin hook broke and i put my mums faggy leather womens watch strap on it. is there an alternative to nato straps for the f91-w? sounds like a pain in the arse looking for the bits to attach to the watch.
of course i could buy another f91w but i bet the same thing will break in the same place again

I've seen it once, it was a present from his wife

bitches man

I've seen it plenty.

One richfag never wore his watch when I first met him, but then he noticed my seiko and suddenly he started wearing some generic Quartz with shiny metal case and shiny bezel.
Probably cost even less than my SARB.

>One richfag never wore his watch when I first met him, but then he noticed my seiko and suddenly he started wearing some generic Quartz with shiny metal case and shiny bezel.
>Probably cost even less than my SARB.

that seiko really put him in his place

He probably thought he was one-upping me.

As someone who is not rich but is fairly well off I can tell you that I could not care less what any other man wears as a watch and it would never occur to me to see someone else wearing a watch and for me to then wear something other than what I wanted to.

I just don't think that way, and I don't think most of the people who are much more well off than me think that way either (at least the ones who worked for their money)

Gotta be honest, I know a few people who wear literal fashion watches, and to me it does tend to influence my view of them.

But then I met a guy wearing a speedmaster (my grail at the time) who was a gigantic fucking douche riding on the coattails of his wife's success, and now I don't know what to think anymore.

>among the richfags I know the most popular thing are those fucking fitness trackers, and talking about how many steps they take in a day

oh god this

You just have to learn to do what you want user.

I personally want an Atmos air pressure clock because reasons.

I am sure some dbag out there wants one too but i can't let that bother me. I work out at Gold's gym, you should see how many dbags go there.

not my problem, they have the only proper squat racks in town

I ordered a few to check out first two were really good.. third one has misaligned bezel and cyclops. The new ones are also too difficult to mod as the bezel is harder to get off and the cyclops is fused very strongly to the main crystal. Not worth the effort to mod. If you keep buying the pro diver on amazon until you get a good one and don't mind the branding it should be a very good watch for your money.

why do they even make other watches?

same filename same guy every single time. No one likes your quartz watch friend.

they are $9

how long did it last?

is +10 sec a day on a seiko sport 5 baby monster reasonable?

must have lasted about 6 months. not really keen on wasting money on another watch

it will grow on you :^)

>must have lasted about 6 months. not really keen on wasting money on another watch

Casio is good on their warranties, send it to them and they will no doubt send you a new one for free, should have a year warranty on it

just went to look up straps for you on ebay but casio straps are $7 and the watch is $9

kek of all keks

i bought it off ebay from some random seller but i'll try your advice anyway. british btw

>i bought it off ebay from some random seller but i'll try your advice anyway. british btw
good then you have a record of you purchasing it. That counts as a receipt, print out the paypal transaction and ebay auction number.

they have a 24 month warranty and are good about honoring them

casio.co.uk/support/servicing-and-repairs/

It's fine. If that's normal during the day for you see if there's a position you can set it at during the night that causes it to lose some time.

haha just remembered i binned the strap. should i try sending it to them anyway

I would send it anyway and just explain you were going to buy a new strap but they were to expensive. they will understand, hell man you might be able to just call them, i bet there is a 50/50 chance they will just send you a dang strap

Citizen once sent me 3 free watch links when I called and told them i bought a used one and the previous owner lost the extras, i had my wallet out and everything but they just wanted my addresss

that seems kinda pretty bad to me

What does /wt/ think of the Timex Scout Chronograph? My girlfriend is looking to buy one as a gift for her uncle in China, doesn't want to spend too much money but does want to replace whatever cheap shit watch he has now with something better. I used to have a Weekender as my cheap shit quartz and I was pretty happy with it until I ruined it taking a swim (I thought it was resistant to 50 metres but it turns out it was only 30m)

If she had given me more notice I would have been able to order a Seiko quartz chronograph off the internet somewhere but she leaves in a week and a half, which pretty much limits me to shops.

I ordered Ray Raven II today, did I make a good choice?

How long should I wait before tell a watchmaker to fuck off and send me my watch back because he's taking way to fucking long with an estimate?

what would you use the chronograph functions for?

>How long should I wait before tell a watchmaker to fuck off and send me my watch back because he's taking way to fucking long with an estimate?
I dunno man watchmakers are a notoriously surly bunch, the weirder the thing you want done and the better the guy is the longer he's going to sit on it just because he can.

how long has he had it and what are you having done?

It's not for me, as I said it is a gift for someone I never met, someone who thinks the chronograph looks cool.

Well how much are you seeing them for, like $60?

you ain't going to find a chrono worth having for less than that

seiko has a nice steelcase solar one that's about $160

>If she had given me more notice I would have been able to order a Seiko quartz chronograph off the internet somewhere but she leaves in a week and a half, which pretty much limits me to shops.
nah man a week and half is forever, you can get that shit in 3 days

Who else here /smartwatch/

Yes

even 1% is pushing it

ily

Got a red pebble time.

>watchmakers are a notoriously surly bunch, the weirder the thing you want done and the better the guy is the longer he's going to sit on it just because he can
Oh, trust me I know.
>how long has he had it and what are you having done?
Just shy of a month, and an Accutron 214.
A tall order I know. So, I haven't bothered him, but it's an estimate, not the actual work. Just saying.

I'm not usually this impatient, but I've been trying to get this specific watch serviced for maybe a year. The last guy who had it kept throwing me for a loop for like 5-6 months. And before that I was just trying to find people that have actually worked on them before.

>uncle in china
>china

for the price of a speedmaster she could get him a fake rolex, fake iphone, and fake bmw.

Sucks pebble is dead, but it's great that they're still being sold open amazon/e-bay. Any other smart watches that are not shit tier?

Lmao is it the one from the user in this thread?

Gotta be more specific.

You asked someone to tell their watch maker boss to look at it ?

Oh yeah that's me. Talked with user's boss a few times on the phone, knows his shit and is pretty chatty kek. Seems like a good enough guy.
If either are you are said user, you end up getting a finders referral?

>living his life and making decisions based off other people, not himself
Are you sure you aren't a tranny? Sounds like you have the mentality of a woman.

In all serious, be your own man. Live your life on your own terms.

>tfw breaking a sweat thinking I'm the douche with the speedy

I have a question: do you people take your watch off when you sleep?

Depends on the watch.

Yes

When do you not ?

Depends who is in bed with me

>TFW Waiting for it to leave russia.

that filename is 9/10

I take off anything vintage or anything with a leather or resin band.

Also, this. Getting hair in a metal band is very easy. And a mood killer. Unless she's into that.

because you're a bigger faggot than all of your gay dads, and your tranny aunt leonard "east german womens tennis clit" peters.

Whats the best cheap and good casual pilot style watch?

SNK80X

my nephew had some great customer service with citizen from his watch he won at a raffle before christmas. the pin broke in it when I took him out , and the watch just fell off his wrist. the pin came out at the case, and the hole was fuckhuge.

he was in tears since it fell and smashed. poor kid had a shit day, but he couldnt hold it together after that. we get to his house, find the box and call them, the lady was really nice to him, and sent him a replacement overnight. it got there before we were ready to bring the old one to the shipping store, with a free ups label.

lil nigga loves that brand now.

manly as fuck.

Nomos Orion (blue hands), Tudor Black Bay, tudor classic or nomos tetra?

Well do you want a completely insipid meme, a diver, an ugly dress watch, or a square insipid meme? I don't even see how any of those watches are related or what you want in a watch, so I'm not sure how to recommend anything else. I guess I would pick the Black Bay if it had to be one of those four.

thank you, i'm glad at least one person noticed and appreciates