High end motherboards are now coming with embedded wifi chips

>High end motherboards are now coming with embedded wifi chips
The gamer shit was bad enough. I do not want to pay for a wifi chip, I do not want wifi capability to be there, at all. I do not want to deactivate it and find the damn thing is still sitting there emitting its carrier signal for whatever asinine reason, or turning on whenever it wants to.

This needs to stop.

Fucking right sir

feels like the majority do not have them
stop being a brand loyalist and you'll see the options available

Maybe, ju.. just maybe you should buy something you want then. You're not forced to pay for it.

>caring about embedded wifi when the security co-processor has complete and total control over your CPU, memory, and networking
lol

>Internet goes down.
>Tether to phone without hunting down PCIE card/USB WiFi stick.

feels good.

>MOTHERBOARD HAS WIFI CHIP
FEELS BAD.

why don't you just tether to phone using USB?

Vote with your wallet then.

So buy another motherboard?

That's not a thing, it's an illusion. Even if it wasn't, people like me will always be outvoted. Democracy is simply tyranny of the often ignorant majority. Market democracy is no different.

*tips fedora*

Integrated wifi sounds great to me. I have a tower but I use wifi on it because I rent my apartment and can't make permanent changes like putting ethernet through the walls. Having cables laying all over the floor is ghetto as fuck. Wifi also enables me to rearrange my living room, desk included, as I see fit without being tethered to a port on the wall somewhere.

As a result I have a PCI wifi+bluetooth card awkwardly wedged between two GPUs and it'd be great if it didn't have to be there.

Why not just get a $10 USB wifi stick?

>WiFi
Why would you need this on a desktop motherboard when Ethernet is superior?
This
He's not wrong

You showed him!!!!

Because that means giving up a USB port (I have a lot of shit to plug in), plus USB is flaky as fuck compared to PCI. USB sticks also don't give me bluetooth like my PCI card does.

You guys are so enlightened by your own intelligence

How many USB peripherals does one need? USB blue tooth and wifi dongles worked perfectly for me

Keyboard, mouse, wacom tablet, DAC/amp, iPhone dock. That's 5 ports, which is bumping up against the max of what most mobos give you on the back panel unless you go for pricier boards.

I keep the two front panel ports free for thumb drives. It's nice to be able to have two plugged in without having to unplug your wifi dongle to do it.

>iPhone dock
Fucking why?

If your board doesn't have PS2 ports it should have extra USB ports. Even my old ass motherboard has 8 USB ports on the back alone, eSATA ports double as USB ports

>Fucking why?
I work as an iOS developer, so it's nice to have something hold the phone up while it's plugged in for development and debugging.

You can't push updates and debug OTA?

You can push updates to TestFlight but that's far too tedious for dev+debug. It's meant for pushing updates to beta testers.

Wifi debugging is coming with Xcode 9, currently in beta and being released this fall.

Reminder that a mouse and a keyboard don't need USB 2.0 speeds and can safely both be inserted into a USB hub/splitter.

802.11ad speeds are nice plus usually you get high end for the dual NICs

you can team them all together, besides the wifi capability won't work at all without any driver

the uefi network stack is embedded but the wifi capability won't just turn on without a driver, usually you'd have a led indicator

>someone walks between the router and your device
>lose the signal
Don't fall for the 60ghz meme

> le free market in action meme
If OP thinks this is a bad thing, xe is powerless to stop it. Not buying a motherboard won't stop market trends. Having said that
>emitting its carrier signal
u dum fuk, unless you have it set up as a hotspot it won't be broadcasting your presence in any meaningful way. Not that it would be hard to know you're around (pic related).

>u dum fuk, unless you have it set up as a hotspot it won't be broadcasting your presence in any meaningful way.
And yet you get out a microwave band detector... and most of them actually do. Because engineering decisions are not always logical from an end-user functionality perspective. Seriously, I've seen some ridiculous shit. Mostly based around cost.

>unless you have it set up as a hotspot it won't be broadcasting your presence in any meaningful way.
No, your probes won't register on any other WiFi devices, much. That's the way it works.

there are only like 4 mobos that have that

Monopolies don't tally votes

You mean like how Comcast modem/router combos broadcast customer hotspots and you can't turn it off? You think anyone driving by or in range with the private key to access that wireless connection won't take advantage of that shit?