Thinking of switching to Linux. Can anyone here recommend me a solid and easy to use XFCE distro...

Thinking of switching to Linux. Can anyone here recommend me a solid and easy to use XFCE distro? Preferring to stay away from the terminal as much as possible.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_display_servers#Wayland
xubuntu.org/news/introducing-xubuntu-core/
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
youtube.com/watch?v=GMYnfUYRLJc
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=voyager
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHHRKj8IbY
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solydxk
youtube.com/watch?v=_5PSi8ihWz8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Xubuntu.
And terminal is your red-pilled veteran friend.

xubuntu user here

I use the terminal like once a month, it obviously depends how much you want to perform tasks that the terminal is amazing for but if you're just using it as a windows-like machine it's great

Xubuntu is best for beginners and is a good distro even if you're experienced.

>Prefer to stay away from the terminal as much as possible
Your only option is pretty much gnome, maybe KDE. Just use the terminal

Xubuntu Core

>Xubuntu is best for beginners
don't you want to go full bloat via ubuntu gnome default installation so you can truly appreciate the minimalismâ„¢ after understanding what you really need for your purposes

Danny, is that you?

Debian

Fuck debian.

Manjaro Xfce and Xubuntu are both great *just works* distros. I prefer Xubuntu, with Manjaro you are going to have to jump through some hoops to get decent looking fonts and get rid of their hideous color schemes.

I honestly want to steer you in the direction of MATE though, I think Ubuntu MATE is better than Xubuntu. It's still lightweight and snappy, probably the best distribution of the GNU plus Linux os

Is the baby fur alright?

Where can I get the newest iso?

The other day some user said that Xubuntu's repositories haven't been updated since 2015. Is that true? And what do you guys think about Manjaro from a beginner's perspective?

Manjaro now has nice fonts plus way bigger program selection out of the box

Arch

Let me guess, you're going to say "fuck that" to this.

If you can't install Arch, then do not install Manjaro. Only competent users get to use Arch. You are destroying the very fabric of our quilt. A quilt stitched together with the purest effort distilled in undiluted, intellectual essence.

GuixSD
Bonus : no systemd !

>no systemd
No thank you then.

idk i put Manjaro 32 bit xfce on my old laptop like a month ago and just followed the archwiki guide to improve fonts. dont remember but i think i had to edit some config file to enable hinting. also installed ubuntu fonts and changed everything to Noto Sans 9 and it looks pretty good now.

Go to bed mister poettering, you're drunk

>xfeces
also nothing matters just install a good distro like alpine and have that bloat over it

Xubuntu really. One of the core xfce devs is the Xubuntu lead.

Debian is actually better but you'll need to go into the terminal (once, and then not touch it for 2-3 years).

>If you can't install Arch, then do not install Manjaro

i can and have installed arch. i recommend Manjaro because the live iso has evil wifi drivers so you don't have to leave the basement to install it

This

Mint Xfce or Mint MATE that's almost identical. If something doesn't work, Xubuntu 17.04.

xubuntu.

also OP, learn to use the terminal, its really easy and its VERY helpful.

>want to install 'X' program on (X)ubuntu
>instead of opening browser, going to the website, downloading it and installing, i simply type
>sudo apt install 'X' on terminal, and the program is installed.

lolwut

>Preferring to stay away from the terminal as much as possible.

Don't switch to linux then.

I'd recommend Mint XFCE or Xubuntu. They're both really solid distros and if you worry about breaking your system with kernel updates Mint really helps with that by making them optional. But the terminal isn't some big bad thing that's really hard to understand. Most things are pretty easy to learn.

Why do you think I'm this Danny furfag ptg memes about? What was it in my post that made you think this?

>Danny furfag ptg memes about

Who?

Ubuntu is malware.

Install default Ubuntu, then install xfce desktop and switch between them. Any other answer will put you in hobbyist territory.

If you really have no experience with Linux, you'll probably need some community support, so I'd go with Xubuntu. Most of the SO answers regarding Ubuntu apply and it has quite a bunch of users.
If you are more of a hobbyist and/or want to learn the non superficial stuff while doing, maybe Debian is better.

In my opinion the other distro's are either badly designed (like mint) or not suitable for people new to Linux (Arch).

Fedora may be okay, never used it.

Why do you want systems?

What? But unity is a pile of shit, so why not just use xfce?

Neckbeard hobbyist detected.

nice bait

Hello pleddit

Xubuntu is fine

Can you elaborate your opinions on why Mint is badly designed?

probably gonna get responses about "old version of __ doesn't work because they renamed bla bla bla" which would effect less than 1 percent of users

or the whole, "the update manager gives you the option to not update kernel or grub if you don't want to break your proprietary gpu, bluetooth or wifi drivers" argument

all of this is FUD spread by butthurt Debian devs and canonical shills.

if Mint is badly designed, then Ubuntu LTS is badly designed. All Mint team works on is the Cinnamon DE and a few mintapps like the update manager

Mint takes a professionally polished leading platform and rices it up with neckbeard-knowitall, in the process allowing hackers into the build process to infest isos.

their website got hacked and a bad link to an iso was up for less than 24 hours. only affected people who downloaded the bad iso

download iso's from torrent and check md5 and it's as secure as Ubuntu

dont use xfeces.
lxde is regularly updated and ported to qt and latest gtk, and openbox is vastly better than xfwm.
or else you could just use any wayland compositor:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_display_servers#Wayland

look at this fucking idiot. The influx of new Arch(based) users is beneficial for everyone, yes they will ask dumb questions but they'll learn. Secluding your sekret klub isn't helping anyone you fucking hipster. Arch is a trial by fire distro, Manjaro and Arch-Anywhere let you skip around that and still get sweaty nerds like you for tech support.

>all of this is FUD spread by butthurt Debian devs and canonical shills.
the fact is that Mint is just a greener, worse fork of Ubuntu with an uglier name and logo.

Sorry but, Xfce is the only real lightweight desktop. LXQt and LXDE may be ahead in tech but I still cant fathom using a tree-style menu to open apps
>muh dmenu
I want a whiskermenu for LXDE before I consider to switch. I can't explain it but Xfce fulfills me more than LXDE does in a way because I know Xfce is all from the Xfce project, not some cobbled up shell for OpenBox

Xubuntu

xubuntu.org/news/introducing-xubuntu-core/

>Thinking of switching to Linux
Use Arch. I am not memeing or joking at all. It was easier to install than Debian and from day one it's just werked with a simple pacman -Syu once a day. Maybe I'll change my tune if it stops working entirely in 3 months but I've been using it daily for two and it's the most enjoyable computing experience I've ever had outside of OS X.

Unless you're just using a web browser, don't even bother. You can't do anything without terminal and half of the guides you'll read are outdated - you'll spend days trying to fix one issue.

Stop forcing this shitty meme

its not a fucking meme. yaourt is the most useful piece of software and its arch only. Use Arch-Anywhere or Manjaro.

Fuck off neckbeard.

techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

Any distro can use any DE, but if you're looking for something that uses XFCE out of the box, look up those and pick the one with the package manager you want and focus that you're looking for.

Could you tell me why exactly you're calling it malware?

>Preferring to stay away from the terminal as much as possible
Linux doesn't want you. Everything going wrong with the "Linux desktop", the bloat and worthless GUI fronteds and solutions to problems no one had, are thanks to illiterate retards like you.

>the bloat and worthless GUI fronteds and solutions to problems no one had, are thanks to illiterate retards like you.
nice comma

Debian is the best linux ditro for start even with you need tinkering with something it's well documented in various languages because of popularity and also it's unbreakable (except doing it in purpose +- I don't know how is the status with nvidia drivers but last time I needed to install them it went automatically)

Even if*

>not recognizing an appositive phrase explaining what is meant by "Linux desktop"

Don't point out grammar mistakes if you don't understand grammar

S O L U S
O
L
U
S

>solid and easy to use
>XFCE distro

lol

you really came to the wrong place to ask linux questions. this board is cancerous. basically you have the ubuntu haters, the arch lovers, the arch memes, and the ubuntu offshoot lovers.

if you want the easiest out of the box linux distro with no need for terminal it's Linux Mint period. Cinnamon is a fantastic desktop environment and Mint has everything you need out of the box. Runs great even on lower end hardware, much better than Windows 10.

I am not a big fan of Xfce, but I will agree with the others that Xubuntu is a decent choice.

As far as other desktop environments go...

Plasma - looks pretty, runs like crap and is buggy.

Unity - crap from the beginning. Canonical is finally getting rid of it.

Gnome 3 - never been a fan but it's gotten better.

Mate - Looks like Gnome 2. Pretty basic, feels dated.

Xfce - fast, user friendly, lower resource. Not very pretty though.

Pantheon - OS X clone.

how to make gnome smaller?

oh yeah?
would this work?
>sudo apt install 'Microsoft Office 2013'
or this
>sudo apt install 'League of Legends'

didn't think so

>avoiding the terminal
might as well use mac os then... you should seriously learn to use the terminal.

If you want to stay away from the terminal you might consider openpepe. It's been a few years since I tried it but I recall that it had a gui configuration panel.

Are you fucking retarded? That's as if I asked you to install gparted on windows. Of course programs that aren't available on GNU/Linux won't be available you retard

just install arch and get gud, then you won't have to worry about it being easy or rely on a distro for cucks

Voyager 9 Debian Stretch
youtube.com/watch?v=GMYnfUYRLJc
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=voyager
SolydX (XFCE) 8 2017.01 Installation and Overview
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHHRKj8IbY
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solydxk

Whats Suse like these days? Anyone here use it?

Trisquel

Manjaro is shit

This is what a man who eats his own semen sounds like IRL

Chalet OS or Xubuntu

youtube.com/watch?v=_5PSi8ihWz8

Jump thru hoops? Changing the theme is a 2 second undertaking. Manjaro was the first xfce distro that didn't have massive screen tearing. Xubuntu was the first distro that I encountered 3 bugs in the first 15 minutes of use. Trash.

>Chalet OS
Looks good, thanks user.

The only right choice. To anyone mentioning Ubuntu pls off yourself.

Instead of being scared of the terminal like its a fucking spawn of Shoggoth, why don't you try out some newbie friendly distro while keeping your mind open?
Really, the CLI is just a different way of using your computer. In some ways it's better than using GUI, in other ways it's worse.
Winfags think command line is an archaic obsolete form of interface because of Microsoft conditioning. But in truth, you can't completely remove it from a system without also removing power from the user.
You just can't see that because you never tried using it and don't know what the CLI is capable of.

You want to switch to linux on which of your computers?
Because I do not recommend installing linux on your gayming computer.

Ever heard of dual boot?

I wouldn't recommend gnu/linux to anyone who is afraid of the terminal.

I use KDE and you can use it without the terminal, but it is a weird restriction to put on yourself, you clearly read/write english, so what is the problem?

What? No, whoever said that is a clueless moron. (Just like 90% of Sup Forums)

Xubuntu is Ubuntu with xfce desktop.

Slackware

OP here. Not afraid of the terminal, I just prefer to use a package management program instead of typing the install commands. English is not a problem.

If you understand Ubuntu and aptitude then go for Zorin OS, it feels like Windows but it isn't.

>Zorin OS,
Thanks user. Currently testing ChaletOS, Xubuntu and ZorinOS. Will deliver results.