/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
github.com/TheMozg/awk-raycaster/blob/master/awkaster.awk
github.com/uuner/sedtris
motd.ubuntu.com/
itsfoss.com/tldr-linux-man-pages-simplified/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I suspect OP is Brazilian.

Not really no, but thank you on revealing the language on the newspaper is Brazilian, I was curious.

So on my current, outdated, setup for usb tethering I just putallow-hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet dhcp
metric 30
In /etc/network/interfaces and then tell my phone to tether and thats it.
Is there an easy way to do it with systemd and the new predictable naming scheme? Because according to arch wiki you have to create a udev rules file and a service file for ... each specific usb port that you might use? Or do it manually each time.

>language on the newspaper is Brazilian
Oh, you are american, I see.

Device UUID maybe?

Beep is muted, but I'm still getting beeps. I have to blacklist the pcspkr module to prevent random programs from making sound (like my file manager).
Is this really the recommended way?

Yes.
Although I doubt those programs are calling it directly I think it is from the \a escape seqeunce or the X alert thingy.

how to make gnome smaller?

Restrict his food.

I have two network cards, how do i set up xrdp to listen only one of them?

What is the best looking minimal desktop environment, im literally switching to linux because I cant stand how ugly windows is

Everything's chicken but the motherfuckin' bone

*eats something from your foot*

IMHO, Xfce

*runs away in fear*

>DE
Xfce

Gross af my nigga. Don't eat shit if it's not you're own foot callus. Seriously dude what the fuck?

*denounces capitalism and advocates for a communistic society*

>IMHO, Xfce
Good choice. Especially if you a balla, doin' big type thangs, fucking BIG HOES, and wearin' brand new clothes.

>tfw managed to tunnel a port through ssh for the first time
feels secure

What do you mean

>having openssh installed AT ALL
FEELS DANGEROUS MAN!

Oh frick off. It's fine.

HAHAHA

What's so funny?

:-/

R-really? My disto has it installed by default. Should I be worried?

As opposed to what? Closing all of my ports and unplugging the internet? that would make for a pretty shitty server.
Now i can just close all ports to the outside except ssh and then just tunnel everything and be almost 100% secure.
It's not like nsa will try to hack my shit, we are talking about chinese bots and shit

No, she's just trolling. Ignore her.

>As opposed to what? Closing all of my ports and unplugging the internet?
No, just not having a huge vulnerability installed that's all. openssh is easily exploitable.

No it's not.
Stop parroting things you read on the internet and don't even understand them

>Stop parroting things you read on the internet
I never read this anywhere, it's common sense.

You aren't very smart are you son? It's ok, someone has to flip those burgers

>common sense
How is that common sense? Are you mentally ill?

>feeding the trole
>2017 q3
it's like if its 04 all over again

Ah, so she was merely pretending. I can sleep easy tonight.

>q3
Isn't it q2?

lmao seriously. You should avoid ssh if at all possible.

No. You don't think it introduces a huge vulnerabilities? It does. Holy shit, how dumb are you? Do a fucking web search.

No q3 is in 2 days which means that q2 is more that 0.5 done which means it gets rounded up to q3
jesusfuck son it's basic arithmetic

>Do a fucking web search
I did and there were no relevant results, therefore you're lying.

>I did and there were no relevant results, therefore you're lying.
Fake ass news holy shit

How so? A quadrimester is 4 months, we're at the end of june, so about one month left for the third.

>Fake news
Ah, so now we can confirm you are a troll.

That's a trimester you mongoloid.
There are 2 semesters in a year. 3 trimesters. 4 quadrimesters. 12 months.
Now applying some basic math:
(12 months / year) / (4 quadrimesters / year) = 3 months / quadrimester.
You're welcome

Are you serious? user.,.. a year doesn't have 16 months, well, at least you have your retard strength.

>3 trimesters
Lol, dumbo

Oh fuck. I messed up.

Where is your handler?

sudo apt-get install pv cmatrix && PS1="" && clear; $(mpv -vo null --no-terminal "youtube.com/watch?v=kdAMq5LdAvs") & 2>&1>/dev/null; setterm -term linux -back black -fore green && clear && tput cup 2 0 && echo "Follow the white rabbit." | pv -qL 10 && sleep 12 && clear && tput cup 2 0 && echo "Knock, knock, Neo." | pv -qL 50 && sleep 10 && killall mpv && reset && cmatrix

Is there some application for ubuntu which will allow me to make a snapshot of the current os state so if i destroy the system i will be able to easily restore it, the same way i can take a snapshot in virtual box?

you can use dd to clone the entire drive, for example to an external SSD

>dd
How would backing up and restoring work? Let's say i have made a back up onto another hdd and then ran apt dist-upgrade which completely broke my system which isn't even booting anymore, how would i go about restoring it to the precise state of the time when i ran the back up?

How deep down the rabbit hole are you? SSH port forwarding is all sorts of nice.

Immediately set up a SOCKS proxy to tunnel traffic through a remote host:
ssh -D $LOCALPORT $REMOTEHOST

Normal port forwarding: open local port, forward traffic through the SSH connection to host/port on the remote side - e.g., to talk to a remote hosts's HTTP port through your local port 8080:
ssh -L 8080:127.0.0.1:80 $REMOTEHOST

Reverse port forwarding: open a port in a remote host that will forward traffic back through the SSH connection to any host/port on the local side - e.g., to expose your own HTTP server to a remote host's port 8080:
ssh -R 8080:127.0.0.1:80 $REMOTEHOST

I love that last one because it means that even if you're behind a restrictive NAT you can still expose your own ports to remote hosts, as long as they have their own SSH port open.

dd the entire drive to an external one
now you have a snapshot of a working system, files and all
if you fuck up your real system just plug the external drive and use dd to copy it all back
now your drive is in the exact same state as it was when you backed it up

>you can still expose your own ports to remote hosts
l-lewd

waaaaait, is that just a fancy ctrl c + v

>emerge firefox
>40 minutes and counting
Wew lad

kinda, but it works better because it clones everything bit for bit
it overwrites the old data on the hard drive so you don't get any residue in the drive itself

Yeah it's pretty nice, i am using it to hide my web traffic from our annoying cunt network admin who thinks hes hot shit when he blocked facebook, 4chins and gave shit to people about browsing leisure sites during work hours.
Well, since """"need"""" to connect to my home computer to do """"work"""" stuff via ssh, he can't say shit and all of my electronic slacking off is nice and safe, because good luck spying on all of that encrypted traffic

What did you expect

Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice are the worst for compiling
They are huge pieces of software

The satisfying feeling when you finally find the bug which has caused your system to boot in 3+ minutes and manage to get it down to 13 seconds.

you installed windows?

I did not

any idea why this would happen out of nowhere even after specifically making sure to shut down instead of just flipping the PSU off? I've had no other problems so far in just over 2 months of daily use yet for some reason after shutting down, unplugging the drive's SATA, and plugging it back in and booting a few hours later like I've done at least a dozen times before it's now broken and I don't really know how to proceed. I wouldn't normally ask but I have no idea where to even start and currently an iphone 4 with a cracked screen is my only computer so troubleshooting will be hard.

>flipping PSU off, unplugging the drive's SATA
Why.
Chances are some write process on the drive wasn't finished and now it's corrupted. Here's what I'd do:
>boot into live system
>mount drive
>connect external drive
>salvage all data you want to keep
>unmount external drive and disconnect it
>unmount internal drive
>format internal drive
>reinstall OS
>get in the habit of shutting down properly

Just install the binaries

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

Is there any project owned by redhat that isn't shit?

some quotes from gnome developers

>Facilitating the unrestricted use of extensions and themes by end users seems contrary to the central tenets of the GNOME 3 design. We’ve fought long and hard to give GNOME 3 a consistent visual appearance, to make it synonymous with a single user experience and to ensure that that experience is of a consistently high quality. A general purpose extensions and themes distribution system seems to threaten much of that.

>I’m particularly surprised by the inclusion of themes. It seems bizarre that we specifically designed the GNOME 3 control center not to include theme installation/selection and then to reintroduce that very same functionality via extensions.

>The point is that it decreases our brand presence. That particular user might understand what it is that they are running, but the person who sees them using their machine or even sees their screenshots on the web will not. The question we have to ask ourselves is: how do we make sure that people recognise a GNOME install when they see one?

>We’ve always argued that if it is anything, GNOME is a UX. There might be a case for letting people tweak things here and there, but I really think that every GNOME install should have the same core look and feel. Otherwise, what is it that we are doing in the first place?

Don't customise goy, use stock, paint the logo on your forehead, we brand whores now.

>UX
These people do not deserve to live.

Developer of Transmission was approached by gnome developers to remove the functionality of adding a notification icon in the status bar (staple for any desktop environment/window manager comibnation but removed in gnome)

He replies:
>So now we can have three builds of Transmission that decide at compile time whether to use AppIndicator, GtkStatusIcon, or nothing at all, over such a stupid feature?
>Removing it altogether, as you suggest, will hurt XFCE users.
>I wish GNOME, Canonical, and everyone else involved would settle on one consistent API for this and stop fucking the app developers over.
>In order for this ticket to move forward, I’d like you to tell me what change should be made to Transmission that will make it work properly, out of the box, on GNOME Shell, Unity, and XFCE.

To which gnome developers reply
>I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I’m sorry that this is the case but it wasn’t GNOME’s fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

Your app is no longer "GTK app". It's Gnome, Ubuntu or XFCE app. Enjoy.

So just give the GNOME fucks the middle finger, let them whine all they want about your icon and leave it up to them to hide it from the user, if they care so much.

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is, here. Let them make GNOME a single """user experience""". If you like it, use it. If not, don't.
I do hate people who unironically talk about brand recognition, UX and the like though. Fucking leeches. "I'm an idea guy lol now give me money for copying Apple and talking out of my ass"

wtf i hate gnome now

If they ever disable the user themes I am switching to KDE.
Until then, I am fine with where they take GNOME. There's really no need to customize it too much but the themes are the best part. Default one isn't awful but I like Flat Plat much more and I want to be able to use it. I don't think this affects the GNOME experience in any way.

Under gentoo, the USE flags priority are make.defaults > make.conf > package.use > environement variable.
But there's like 30 make.defaults files defined by the profile, so how do I override that priority order to make a package use a specific flag?

install ge-
oh wait

>tha language on the newspaper is Brazilian

If i have /poo/pee
where poo is 0000 and pee is 7777, will all users still be able to access the pee directory?

Why isn't JACK the default audio system on linux? It's awesome compared to pusaudio

If they know the full path, yes.

Well, shit. I thought that if i lock the top directory i'm done nice and safe, so you telling me i have to chmod every single one? fuck. It's specially annoying for new files which get created later as 777.

No you can't. I'm pretty sure you need access to the whole path.
I added something with mod 666 in /root and my normal user can't open it.

777 on anything is a really, really bad idea

This nigga write a whole first person shooter in awk: github.com/TheMozg/awk-raycaster/blob/master/awkaster.awk

you may like this github.com/uuner/sedtris

Is sim link the same thing as a shortcut? So if i add a simlink to a directory via terminal and place into a home folder of some user and he logs in via gnome, will he see that symlink and be able to click it?

>there are enemies
fugg

Impressive.

If he has read access to this access, absolutely.

Think of symbolic links as spacesavers. Instead of having two copies of exactly the same file in different directory with the potential trouble to keep them the same in case you need to modify one you just make one file and create a link to said file in a different directory.

Where were you when motd turned into a place for ads? motd.ubuntu.com/

i was sat at home sperging over devuan when sergio ring

'systemd is kill'

'yes'

I see. And can symlink also be controlled with chmod?

Just so you know Brazilian isn't a language... It's Portuguese

Time to start reading manpages friend.

I would, but alas, i have a life.

SuWuu nigga
Xfce is alright

There's also this thing
itsfoss.com/tldr-linux-man-pages-simplified/

How do I get Crunchyroll to work on Linux (stable Debian)?

XFCE with the Arc gtk theme.

You should stop supporting unethical distribution schemes and watch CR rips instead.

But, if for whatever reason you really want to pay CR, you should still watch rips instead - you'll be getting the exact same video without any of the inconveniences.

Ive got some truck cameras from a company. For some reason they put something on the sd cards we get from them so I dont go buy my own sd cards and get theirs for a premium instead. So I made a copy of one of theirs with dd and it works.

I want to make a file out of a dd command from an sd card. Can I do that? And then just use that file to dd onto other sd cards at a later date. So I can just keep making copies when I get new cards. Any idea how to do this? Ive always avoided fucking around with dd cause of the damage it can do. Ive used to to copy failing drives and moving from one drive to a larger one using gparted after to expand the partition. Ive never done anything but drive to drive full copies though.