Samsung Dex

If the Samsung DeX allows you to run a desktop version of android.
Why nobody is interested in it?
After rooting the device you can chroot into any GNU/Linux, or even run your own Custom ROM.

While it's true you can't do much on it, but it's good enough for average users who just want something to browse the internet and watch videos and reply to E-mails.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ukzLa5xQaeo
microsoft.com/en-us/windows/continuum
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because android has already been installable on PC for years.

>touchjizz
>hdmi lag
>squircles
>touch UI with a mouse
>root not allowed
>overpriced
>UWP is superior but even that failed
>still requires you to carry keyboard, mouse, monitor
>galaxy s8, good lack with the broken screen
>terrible name, sounds like dicks
>unresizable windows for many apps
>cables
>incompatible with other Androids
>"desktop" environment looks like lincucks

I'd rather use linux mint that that piece of shit

I use mint and it's a great OS, faggot

>fuck around plugging your phone into an adapter
>or pick up your laptop and open it, while having you phone still available
Shit idea

>touchjizz
New UI has improved significantly
>hdmi lag
You're not suppose to play FPS with that
>touch UI with a mouse
The desktop mode is more point & click oriented
>root not allowed
For what? average user doesn't need root
But you're right.
>overpriced
This is a very valid point.
>UWP
So all of your device can be infected at once
>still requires you to carry keyboard, mouse, monitor
Pic related, and you can use any available monitor
The same as RPi
galaxy s8, good lack with the broken screen
You need to take better care with your devices.
What's wrong with liking dicks?
>unresizable windows for many apps
That can be solved in future.
>cables
What kind of argument is that?
You need two cables, one for the monitor and the other for the power.
>incompatible with other Android devices
Most new technologies are.
>"desktop" environment looks like lincucks
You do realize android is running the linux kernel?
You can still use it.

I could eat dogshit if I really wanted, but I'm still of reasonably sound mind.

>desktop version of android
no, thanks. Why would you even want to do that? All the android applications are made to be used on small touchscreen
Nobody mentioned Maru yet, though
maruos.com

>New UI has improved significantly

youtube.com/watch?v=ukzLa5xQaeo

>framedrops

This is like the fiftieth time we've tried this and it is destined to fail.

reminds me a lot of ubuntu edge a few years back

This was tried with several phones in the past and failed due to horrible implementation. You'd be better off if you had a Linux live distro wit presistence on a partition of the memory card (or a separate flash drive for it)

It's a cool concept. Unfortunately it's ultimately held back by a lack of portability and terrible battery life.

such a pity they scrapped this project. With still improving smartphone specs there is a huge potential there. Just obviously implementation is far from simple.

These plus chromecast could actually work today tho.
Just need a keyboard and mouse.
Plug your phone into the charger so it doesn't go flat, but just for power. Maybe even set it on a wireless charging pad, and it connects to the preset chromecast, pairs with the keyboard and mouse, and fires up a chroot
I'm surprised, in the play store now there are a couple 20mb apps like gimp and inkscape that work by starting a X chroot, launching the application, and forwarding X to you. This all in 20MB.

if only it worked... for businessmen that only really need emails, webbrowsing etc, this would be great. as long as it works consistently with a good powersupply solution. for now battery only us a no go ofc. but definetly my boss, a producer in a videoproduction house, he would definetly use this a lot... and i would not have to deal and fix his dumb macs...

It failed because it was replicating the small screen.
With horrible design.
>crowd funding
It was doomed to fail.
You're right, however this seems to be better than the previous implementations so far.
>lack of portability and terrible battery life.
What?
Pretty much, especially since more more distro are making ARM compatible.
This is one of the reason smartphone market is growing.
More people want something work out of the box without fiddling with minor details.
That's why we have people asking for "app to do x".
And why more and more people are buying laptops instead of building PC.
The concept isn't new, but samsung have polished it so much it's appealing.
MaruOS only fault was hardware limitation.

>It failed because it was replicating the small screen.
>With horrible design.
Nigga it spun up a whole linux distro on the fly when you plugged it in.
Fucking needing a $40 adaptor that was just a resistor, but other than that raw passthrough for the phones HDMI and USB port to even plug it into a TV was the killer.
I fucking had one. People kept bitching so motorola scrapped it entirely, wiping it with android tablet mode in an update, and anyone who had stuff saved using the linux programs literally lost their shit.

What is continuum?
for fuck's sake
microsoft.com/en-us/windows/continuum

>MaruOS only fault was hardware limitation.
Was? It doesn't seem to be dead, just not exactly bursting with activity.
Also what do you mean by hardware limitation? That you need to port it to each and every hardware model? That's just android. Maybe the new google unified platform thing might do something about that.

It's a glorified chromecast.

Older hardware, low RAM, and next to no ports.

Only reasonable response here, thank you for your input

I've used it. Majority of applications I installed wouldn't start in dex and those that did (apart from major ones like the microsoft word app and anything by samsung) often had strange misbehaviours pertaining to how the program reacted to being resized.

The window manager is also oddly unresponsive. Not the apps, just the window manager. Everything to do with it has about a half a second of delay, and often buttons don't work.

Yes you can chroot into GNU/Linux, but running a distro itself would seem to be a little more sensible.

tl;dr: It handles like an OS is its alpha stage of development.

What would you do to make it better?

Use a fucking tablet you mouth breeding neck bearded

>Gotta follow fast

>rooting the device
>good enough for average users

Average users are not going to go through the trouble of rooting their device.

Sup Forums average users are.

Yeah because Android is more powerful than a Unix kernel when dealing with ram intensive programs like video production suites. Final cut and premier have been on Android for years haha

Rooting is not a guarantee of custom ROMs. You need unlockable bootloader and source code for firmware. These basically rule out modern Samsung.

Ideally it would just be a normal desktop experience without all the bugs and strange behaviour. And when I say normal desktop experience, I mean something akin to the interfaces GNOME 2, 3 or any of its numerous forks, KDE, Apple OS, Windows 10 or anything in between. Yes they all have quirks and inconsistencies at some point but you can get work done on all of them.

Dex just doesn't feel like it delivers a production-ready workflow and honeslty comes across more like a toy.

I guess lack of percieved responsiveness and application compatibility are the two main things that really drove me nuts about it.

What do you think of RemixOS?

Why would I want a desktop without desktop applications? Are you implying I'm using my PC just to browse Facebook?

I know of it but not enough to have a meaningful opinion.

Remix OS is dead user.

What do you use?