Looking for a lightweight system to run FreeBSD (Because fuck systemd). Are Thinkpads well supported, eg...

Looking for a lightweight system to run FreeBSD (Because fuck systemd). Are Thinkpads well supported, eg. graphics and wifi? If not, can you recommend something else? Will mostly be working in the shell, so high spec not necessary. Also, are there ANY laptops on the market without proprietary blobs and backdoors? I'm not a regular here so pls no bully.

openbsd works better with laptops

>openbsd
Holy shit, this website looks like it was made in the 90s

If you are going to reformat and install Freebsd, the blobs and backdoors will be deleted. So, buy the buggiest, most bloated piece of shit out there. I'm running it on a fucking Lenovo Celeron and it's fine, if a little laggy.

OpenRC is a thing.

Functional design.

What about CPU based backdoors? Don't Intel chips have tons of proprietary mystery parts?

Systemd isn't the only reason to prefer BSD. Don't forget that Linux is under the ((( GPL ))). I'm very wary of GNU's seemingly Marxist agenda.

I'm posting this message from an x220 running OpenBSD
Yes, support is there, there's power management, it suspends when you close the lid (though there's no way yet to make it lock it automatically yet afaik), wifi, sound, etc
I haven't tried 3d graphics yet but I'm pretty sure they don't work. Regular browsing however (on YouTube, 4chinz, Facebook etc) is great, general purpose editing on Libreoffice is great, I like it all around
There's a lack of compatibility with a lot of Linux software, GUI wifi manager included (I have a script that connects to a network if you specify an SSID and password)
Go ahead and try it. I recommend OpenBSD rather than FreeBSD, but mainly because I haven't tried FreeBSD ever
They probably do, but I doubt they've added implementation for Unix (Linux maybe, but I doubt it with older laptops)
The software has to support it, it has to connect to a network you know.

desu BSD license is cancer for developers. That's probably one of the reasons why you'll never see major corporation developing for it other than not being popular due to a pain in the ass of an installation process (on most BSDs)

corporations*
but it's good for users and indie developers who aren't looking to make a profit

How can you use any product whatsoever if you have such extreme idealogical delusions? Do you approve of each and every decision your dish soap manufacturer makes? You are worse then them, their actions are consistent with their values, while you seem to be nothing more than an ignorant hypocrite.

The sound mixer program is really shitty on openbsd (the TUI one). Know any alternatives?

>Go ahead and try it. I recommend OpenBSD rather than FreeBSD, but mainly because I haven't tried FreeBSD ever

OpenBSD devs dogfood on ThinkPads, that's why it's quite functional out of the box. FreeBSD is absolutely shit for laptops

This is a very good post. Thanks for your help.

windows used to use BSD code for it's TCP/IP stack. They left some strings in it that you used to be able to dump.

I use the default one, I have no need for a new one. Again unfortunately software variety is lacking

>dish soap manufacturer
>buying dish soap
Actually, I make it myself, so that I know exactly what is in it. I don't buy off the shelf products for almost anything.

>extreme idealogical delusions
>not wanting to expose myself to carcinogens and other garbage

You don't make your own soap, quit lying.

Well, my wife makes it because she is just as conscious as me. We also make deodorant, toothpaste (Actually tooth powder) and clean our house with vinegar, baking soda, etc. Not only do we know exactly what are bodies are being exposed to, it's actually extremely cheap.

Also, laundry detergent. Too much to list here really. The recipes are out there if you want to look for yourself. We are very particular about the ingredients though.

Do you approve of each and every decision that the vinegar, baking soda, etc. company makes?
>wife
---->Out normie scum

>pseudo political ideas before his OS is even installed
Oh boy this is going to go well.

>will mostly be working in the shell
what "work". you mean jerking off?

>high spec not necessary
Jerking off.

>ANY laptops on the market without proprietary/backdoors
>Hey beastie, here's a shitty single core laptop from 2001. You can't even get online with it anymore due to any js library boiling over your CPU. How does it make you feel?
"free as fuck"

>I'm not a regular here
This is probably the first time you've left the IRC circlejerk in a decade is what you mean

Get a job you dirty hippie, and cut your hair.

Please go back to your containment board

You are both way way off. Don't attempt to fix yourself, hippie, just end your life.

>I'm a stinky hippie

please stop

>due to any js library boiling over your CPU
>running js
>allowing unknown third parties on every website you visit to run malicious code on your system to spy on you and collect your data
How does it feel to be a cuck?

>will mostly be working in the shell
what "work". you mean jerking off?

Caring about aesthetics and making nice looking GUIs is pretty much the definition of jerking off. People who actually want to get stuff done don't care about how it looks.

>muh sysvinit
>muh minimalism

Enjoy your outdated piece of shit OS, OP.

>no systemd
There are Linux distros that don't use systemd, you know

>implying that absorbing artificial solutions into your body doesn't upset its natural processes and make you smell even worse
Ever wonder how people dealt with this before civilisation? They weren't rubbing absolute garbage into their pores. Keep being a good goy and feeding a soul crushing capitalist machine that doesn't care about your welfare, only the labour it can extort out of you. Btw I'm not a Communist, that's even worse. Pinkos are scum.

>le paul boogeyman xD

>chemicals have big scary names

A high school education should cure you of your autism

((( education )))
>be a good goy and trust the state who wants to make you into another cog for their profit and exploitation.
I didn't need ((( experts ))) to teach me programming and make six figures, I didn't need ((( experts ))) to tell me how to live a healthy lifestyle. I don't need ((( experts ))) to learn and I never have. Fuck off with your scams.

>I am a living meme

Truly inspirational

This.

Good shabbos goy, make sure to fall for the appeal to authority fallacy everytime now, okay here's half a shekel, go to the temple and make sure to donate it to the rabbi.

shalom sabath

back to your containment board you go
>outdated
kek no

People also dealt with diseases and early deaths pre civilization. Except they did so rather poorly

tbqh we were only able to deal with diseases since the 19th century.

That's what they want you to think. Now be a good goy and trust your doctor, keep taking those pills so big pharma can continue making a buck off the problems they created and perpetuate.

Made me laugh hard. Pretty good for Sup Forums.

yes, I run freebsd on my x220 and w520 just fine