/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ye Olde Tread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/wd6xvV
multicom.no/partdetailinfo.aspx?q=p:10637297;gr:0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is intel still the best if you ignore price?

I have 2 monitors and use manajro with i3. I need to set them up everytime I boot.
when I save the config in b-menu it tells me pic related. What autostart file do they mean?

If i print something at my university, is there any way the document is somehow saved on the printer?
Can someone see all the documents printed from it?

What's the optimal filesystem for sharing a hoarder drive between Windows and Linux?

I work at first-level support in a tech company and can see the filenames of the things people print, when they printed it and on which printer... But not the file itself... Guess your concern wouldn't be impossible but a little over the top imo

Different places but a safe bet is ~/.xprofile

How can I check the bandwidth consumption on each firefox tab?

FAT32 and zip everything so it splits every 4GB.

Can I use a cheap macbook charger off amazon, or are they too shit compared to an official one?

Lenovo or asus for prebuilt laptops?
Does it matter?

Lenovo.
ASUS has no warranty at all.

Both are shit anyways

Lenovo is malware. Go Asus.

They are shit compared to the official one, but the official one is shit too so it doesnt matter.

Its not a charger, but an adapter.

What would you suggest?
Getting conflicting messages here...I just wanna game and look at dirty pictures online boys...

Lenovo is good harware wise, but they like to add malware and adware to their windows installs.

Easy fixed with just reinstalling windows, which you should do with any computer you get to get rid of bloatware.

ASUS has no warranty at all, so if you have any problem thats it.

Is yours broken? Try going to an Apple Store and telling them it broke. Last time they gave me a new one free of charge, even though my warranty had long expired

Sager.

While it would be dumb for them to do the same fuckup twice, they have released bios malware in the past that would survive a clean install.

I have a weird issue in MPC-HC. I have a .srt file for subtitles and they do show up in the video, but when I press the F1/2 keys (to delay or speed them up) it says subtitles not loaded or not supported by the renderer. Also pic related is grayed out. What can I do for it to be properly recognized so I can make use of the subresync feature? I tried a few different renderers, like madVR, Video Mixing Renderer 9 in the menu etc but nothing fixes it.

They removed it when they got banned from supplying stuff to certain places of Europe and US.

Ok thanks, guess ill go with lenovo and wipe it down then.

So you've never actually heard of tech support people printing documents others had printed before?
Not something the police would be able to do if they had to? (No, it's not anything illegal or incriminating, just hypothetical)

Printing out nationalist fliers, user?
And not him but theoretically they could do that, just save every printed file to some disk, but the volume at a university is likely to be so high that they won't bother.

Lenovo and ASUS are not the only options.

Dell is the best option of all when it comes to everything.
HP is the worst thanks to their shitty cooling and planned obsolescence of their laptops.

Avoid Acer and similar brands.

I'm thinking about migrating from Ubuntu-based to Debian-based distros.
I have my home directory on its own partition so I should be able to keep that when installing Debian.
The question is, is Ubuntu's home directory compatible with Debian (as in, if I reinstall a package in Debian, will it fetch the config files from the home directory)?
Or should I just wipe the home directory and start fresh?

TL;DR: How much data can I salvage when migrating from Ubuntu to Debian?

Ubuntu and Debian are very closely related so you're probably not going to have any issues. When I went from Arch to Ubuntu I was fine.

Also microsoft made them release a bios upgrade patch that would remove the offending code. But think about that. They actually released code so fucked that you could completely reinstall windows from clean media and still have their malware instantly start redownloading itself. It was literally impossible to bypass before they were forced into releasing the patch. And how many people don't even know how to upgrade their bios? There are still laptops roaming around with that shit. Then there's the time they broke ssl encryption on all webpages, leaving an easily exploited backdoor. They keep fucking up, and that's just the known shit software side. They're about as shady as a manufacturer can be and still stay in business.

I need a new battery because it's fucked and I also need an adaptor because I don't have one. I called apple and they said they don't carry my battery anymore because it's from 2011 and discontinued.

Is kapersky worth it?

As i said, just hypothetical. But for your info, it's just very personal and i won't show anyone else

But thanks for your response

HP's gotten a little better, and anything in their semi-buisness category ismore resilient. Agreed that dell is pretty solid if you're willing to pay the premium. Their factory outlet might be a good option if he doesn't mind open-box or something.

Is it perfectly safe to give random strangers online your address for bitcoin or other currencies?

When it's free.

If you're using a sane wallet and regularly generate new addresses then yes. Two addresses generated with the same wallet's private key can't be linked together (in theory at least).

If, however, you reuse that exact same address later they'll be able to look up your transactions. So don't do that.

Aren't all transactions traceably linked anyway? Otherwise what's the point of tumblers?

I'm using Exodus, and i don't think i can change the address. Or at least, i don't know how to
But i found a website that says it's doing free giveaways every so often, is it safe to insert my address there?

>Windows 10
Now with that out of the way, does entering a product key permanently embed a Windows 10 activation right into the BIOS or something? I know that's what prebuilts and upgrades from Windows 7/8 do. But I build my brother a computer a year ago and bought a Windows 10 key for it. Well of course, that shit is lost now and his drive died. But upon installing Windows 10, it didn't need a key to be activated. So does a computer simply having Windows 10 on it at any time make that motherboard always allow for an activation? ProduKey on both his computer and mine show the same product key, mine being a Windows 7 upgrade and his being an actual Windows 10 key, so it's confusing. I figured the generic product key that persists across multiple computers would only be for upgrade ones.
I just wanna make sure this shit will never start asking him for a real key. It says it's activated and checking it through he CMD even says "permanently activated"

All transactions are traceable. But if you have address A and you give it to a malicious stranger, then you go to coinbase or something and buy some bitcoins, using a different address B would allow you to keep your coinbase bitcoins separate. Also if the bitcoins were to later move from A to B the malicious third party would have no way of knowing B belongs to you - for all they'd know you just used the bitcoins they paid you to pay someone else.

Never used Exodus, but it shouldn't be too hard. I use Armory and you can auto-generate a new address every single time someone wants to send you bitcoins.

Also that website sounds like a scam, even if addresses are non-secret information be careful - they might try to trick you into paying them instead, or they might ask for other details, etc.

I got following setup:
- 2GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti Windforce
- 8GB Ram DDR3
- i5 4460 @ 3.2 GHz

what do I have to improve to run PUBG? tried everything, nvidia config etc. nothing worked.

>2GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti Windforce

Get a better graphics card.

is it really just my graphics card? so if I buy the 1050ti @ 4GB vram it should be fine?

Envy line still has the same problems than DV series.
Elitebook line downgraded in quality.
Spectre is ok but its a 2-1 tablet, not a laptop.

What's the best way to get good internet in an outhouse at the end of the garden? It's about 30-40m away from the house, and the router's in the living room from where you have to go through a conservatory to get to the garden. Is it possible to get decent latency using only wireless boosters, or would I need to pass a cable? I'm not a CS:GO world champion but I'd still like decent ping when sperging out in like rocket league or something (speaking of rocket league, it starts rubberbanding unbearably above 100ms ping, so I'd like to avoid that).

If I do have to pass a cable, would it have to be connected to the router's ethernet port or is it possible to just extend the house's broadband/phone line, hook up another microfilter and maybe some other sort of networking doohickey and get it to connect to the same LAN?

Yes.
Your CPU is just werks tier and will be for a long time.

The difference between a GTX 750Ti and a 1050Ti is huge.

Thank you user

Also dont buy Mini versions of GTX 1050Ti, they lack VRM cooling which is important.

PUBG either works at low or ultra presets, everything in the middle will give you problems.

Look at streamers playing at low settings because the game is a mess when it comes to optimization.

NTFS

My setup:
gtx 1080
8GB Ram DDR3
i5 3570k @ 4.2

I can't do anything to improve the game. The game is just optimized like shit dude. In the lobby I get 30 fps with everything on low except AA on high.

Your hardware all has unique serial numbers. The mobo's one is given primary importance. Drives don't matter for shit. When windows installs, it checks those numbers against it's online database. In general, as long as you don't change out the mobo, windows will reactivate automatically the first time you're online.

Could you show an example of a non "mini" version? theres tons of 1050 versions, now that I look at them.

>Also that website sounds like a scam, even if addresses are non-secret information be careful - they might try to trick you into paying them instead, or they might ask for other details, etc.
But so long as they don't ask for anything more, there's no actual danger, is there?

I mean, i've seen youtubers that share their bitcoin address in their videos, so if it's safe for them, it should be for me, right?

Mini versions are pretty much all the small/single fan versions that use a sunflower aluminium only heatsink.

Non mini would be the dual fan versions.

oh shit, so you do have a similar setup and even upgrading to 1080 isnt going to cut it?

That's what I figured, I was just surprised it does that even when you buy a Windows 10 key. I thought that was only for upgrades and prebuilts. It's convenient, but at the same time might get fucked if I ever need to change is motherboard unless that purchased product key turns up somewhere.

I want to treat myself to something since payday is comming.

What should I get? I thought about getting myself a gaming system but I don't really have time for gaming now....

thanks user, that makes it easier.

The game is just badly optimized, thats it.
You have a really old and weak GPU tho.

how can I use a second router as a link to my main router

A wise person once said: if it's a scam, don't try to be clever, just walk away: they're in it to make money from idiots, not to pay clever people.

That said, some scams accept paying out to some clever fuckers in exchange for all the profit they make from the idiots; or maybe the website makes money from advertising, or has a pyramid-scheme like business model, or whatever.

Either way, if literally all you do is give them your bitcoin address, it should be fine, yeah. Just be wary.

We dont know what do you currently have, both in computer specs and stuff in general.
Buy yourself a tshirt and some pants.

If you are currently looking to waste money on computer stuff.

Buy a laptop, get a X220 with IPS screen for cheap.
Build a computer skip the GPU if you wont play games.

I have an odroid C2 currently running as a headless mpd and httpd server. Music is on a powered external hdd. Using a wired ssh connection with ncmpcpp, mpd still sometimes lags and hangs. causing occasional stuttering and mpd hanging when switching alot of songs.
My music database consists of 28k songs.

What could be the cause of the stutter?
Can't seem to find any errors, the hdd should be fast enough, and since it's wired the ssh shouldn't be lagging either.
Could it be the large library, and if so, how would I fix this?

Holy shit, so it even runs like shit. Remind me why it's better than H1Z1 again?

I honestly thought it was supposed to be more polished or whatever, but it seems like it's just overhyped to hell and back.

If you bought an OEM license it's not meant to move to a new computer. Broken mobo's are usually a passable excuse though. You can pair your licence to your microsoft account and that helps. Occasionally you have to use the automated hotline, which is no big.

what's a cheap gpu to pair with a ryzen if I don't play games
I heard the ryzen will be getting igpus, but when

the upgrade seems pretty cheap, so I'll go with that, thanks.

I currently have a shit PC and not really looking for a laptop.

I'm thinking about getting something that could turn into a hobby like a guitar or something

this a decent build? I know there's a building thread but I never got replied:
pcpartpicker.com/list/wd6xvV

Welcome to gaming in general.
The game is just a mod of another game, literally.

Still fun to play with friends but gets repetitive.

ASRock is not the best motherboard maker.
You are lacking a graphics card, AMD CPUs (outside APUs) dont have a integrated GPU.

What you will do with it?

This is what I bought back in 2015 when I built the computer, so that clears everything up. Thanks.

Run an ethernet cable between their lan ports. Then find a guide for setting the second router as an access point. You basically disable the second router's routing functions and use it strictly for wifi/additional ports. The routers will share wifi settings, so devices can pass back and forth freely.

So I just booted up the game:
keep in mind I have a gtx 1080 and 3570k

GPU usage: 19%
CPU: ~ 85.

This was in the lobby. What I'm trying to say is that the game doesn't utilize the GPU much. I would rec downloading MSI after burner, riva tuner and seeing what your GPU vs CPU usage is.

Ah I already have a gpu and storage so I didn't add them on because I wanted a price estimate of the other stuff. I'll most likely be using a 1050ti till my friend sends his 1080. I'll be using it for some gaming, programming, and editing. Any recommendations for the mobo?

Can anyone recommend a good manga reader app that's compatible with a 1st generation Kindle Fire? I basically just want to display images from inside a .zip, I don't care about any other features.

I'm currently using Perfect Viewer but it's extremely unstable and constantly crashes. Only reason I have it is because it's the first app I found that was actually compatible with the old-ass android version on my 2011 kindle.

>or maybe the website makes money from advertising
Yeah, there's a lot of advertisements there

And also, i just realized they say they won't do a payout before i've claimed a certain amount, which is going to take quite a while...

But yeah, thanks for your opinion, might just drop it

I'll give it a look, could help figuring out if its really just the GPU and how much it actually gets drained.

Probably a MSI X370 motherboard.
Everything else looks fine.

Thank you

How much information about my pc and general daily activities on that pc am I giving away if I turn on Windows 10 Cortana?
Should I care if I'm not paranoid and have nothing to hide?

OS X users:

I want to install OS X for the first time and have both an SSD and a mechanical. Is there a way I can set it up to install the system files to the SSD and have my home directory on the mechanical, like you can with Linux?

>How much information about my pc and general daily activities on that pc am I giving away if I turn on Windows 10 Cortana?
Considerable amount of anything you run.

>Should I care if I'm not paranoid and have nothing to hide?
Yes since it uses a considerable amount of resources.

A Thinkpad X220 is $150-200, if you work is nice to have a laptop around.
A good PC is $700-900.

But a hobby? well that is pretty much up to what you like.

Does anyone know a converter for FLAC to MP3?

I know I can do it in audacity but I need to do it in bulk for like 300 files. 320 or V0 is fine

FFMPEG.

Is there a gui verison for retards?

LAME

ffmpeg -i flac.flac mp3.mp3
done

If a laptop supports "2280 M.2 PCIe SSDs" then this 960 EVO should work, right?

>Yeah, there's a lot of advertisements there
>And also, i just realized they say they won't do a payout before i've claimed a certain amount, which is going to take quite a while...
That's probably their business model then, so it's probably safe from a fraud/phishing/other types of outright theft standpoint.

They lure people in with the promise of free money, then make sure the people stay for an extended period of time because otherwise they aren't able to actually withdraw this money, and all the while they're pumping out ad money. The only downside to participating in something like this is that, like many other "free/easy money" schemes, if you work it out you're actually getting paid below minimum wage - so you'd actually be better off getting a part-time job at your local McDonalds for a couple hours a week than clicking butons on an ad-infested website.

Which laptop?
That is only a form factor.

But all laptops with a M2 Slot should support NVMe SSDs so yeah.

does or can chrome use a different sound system to chromium on linux? cause i wasn't even thinking about it i was just like "this sounds way better" and then realised i was using chrome. less distorted.

This one (from a Norwegian store):

multicom.no/partdetailinfo.aspx?q=p:10637297;gr:0

Thats one high end laptop except for the GPU.
Yeah it will work with no problems.

What's a good crypto to be mining right now? lbry or eth or something else?

good to hear. thanks!

(the GPU was the lightest possible nvidia option - wasn't really looking for a gaming laptop, but needed something that could test CUDA programs)

Are there any decent alternatives to Kodi?
It works fine for regular movies, but completely chokes when trying to catalog my chinese cartoons.

plex
minidlna

Do the current Nvidia cards still refuse to underclock when more than one monitor is connected?