Who else agrees, that debian is the best distro?

Rock solid and just werking. Not unstable shit like kde Neon or Arch.

Other urls found in this thread:

qa.debian.org/[email protected]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I agree. I use Debian with XFCE on every single one of my computers except my phones and my laptop, which dual boots OS X and Fedora Security Labs. Debian is the best general purpose distro.

Who has the nsa helped more, Debian or Ubuntu? My vote is Ubuntu but wouldn't touch debian either

The NSA contributes a lot to open source projects because it uses them. Why would they bite that hand that feeds them? As long as their contributions are free and open source, who cares?

Debian is okay distro but only if you don't want to use the latest software.
I mean really, I use SID(unstable) and FF 54 has only shipped recently in sid, I don't even imagine how much time it takes for it to get to the stable branch.
check out this
>qa.debian.org/[email protected]
for example, plasma desktop is still v 5.8 when even ubuntu had 5.10 for months. Not mentioning the kernel, because if I even did buy a new most recent hardware I would buy it to use with windows for muh games. Why would I even need a latest cpu otherwise?
In other hand it's really stable, even the unstable branch(read above). If you want the latest software use opensuse tumbleweed, it gets at least the kernel, gnome DE and KDE updates weeks before fedora rawhide or archlinux do.

>package management doesn't allow several versions of same library
It's not.

DebIan is at the end of any distrohoppers journey

I agree user. Fucking rock solid.

Arch under the Antergos moniker and
>muh gnome~software

>forced to go through trouble getting non-free firmware if something doesn't work
>literally no DE but Xfce is 100% stable if you customize it
>slow as fuck
>outdated as fuck
>ridiculously strict permissions policy (the fucking 1st user you make during install is not sudoer by default)
>made by SJWs

get out.

I would if only dual monitor on neauvau worked. Spent hours getting it set up before I switched to Gentoo. For some reason it just werks w Arch and Gentoo

>everything I run must be bleeding edge for no reason even if that makes my system unstable
>WEEHHH my windows compatible horseshit doesn't work in linux, better blame linux
>debian is slow
>WEEEHHH I had to type visudo and add one fucking line to a file = IT'S SHIT
>literally every distro is made by SJW

>everything I run must be bleeding edge for no reason even if that makes my system unstable
not bleeding edge, just bug fixes. Debian fails on this subject.

>WEEHHH my windows compatible horseshit doesn't work in linux, better blame linux
what the fuck are you talking about

>debian is slow
I see you agree.

>WEEEHHH I had to type visudo and add one fucking line to a file = IT'S SHIT
it's retarded to not have the default user as a sudoer. You cannot defend this.

>literally every distro is made by SJW
this must be bait.

>Literally every distro is made by SJW
No great RedstarOS, great leader is definition of social justice.
When he just 7 he putted all hole in wan at golf course under meteor shower.
Great leader eat pie so we may eat smog, he so humble.
Remember to use great leader great distro and kill America pigs

plasma is just not a priority for most maintainers, you won't get a decent KDE experience if not on SUSE or Neon

>non-free firmware
craptop plebs please leave, you have nothing to contribute to an OS discussion

I've been using Debian stable + backports as my main desktop since Squeeze. The only other distro I use is CentOS.
This is what you have to look forward to as an oldfag.

Is Manjaro unsafe or that was a meme?

you misspelled gentoo
there is no reason what so ever to run a binary based distro
slackware is the only not shit one, and only because of nostalgia

LXQt runs fine on Stretch.

why would i want to spend time compiling everything though, what is the advantage?

I don't know about safe, but it's only for women and non-whites.

I am non-white so I should use it then

Debian is my sriracha sauce: I put that shit on everything.

I've run into 1 problem after another with stretch.
seems like it's getting shitter with every new release
wireless was shit in wheezy fine in jessie broken in stretch

zoneminder easy in lenny squeeze droped in jessie useless in stretch.

also it seems like the write the same old bugs back into new distros over and over.

they say if a program doesn't work by freeze it's left out of the release. not true , if I spent a little time I could probably think of a dozen that don't work.

It doesn't take long to compile with modern systems. You can just leave it running in the background and go on about your business.
The advantage is the amount of control you gain. Its like driving a stick instead of an automatic, an automatic will get you to point B just the same, but with a stick you're the one changing the gears, you have more control.
In a binary based distro the devs already precompiled everything for you, with the features they felt you needed, which as insult top the concept of freedom and everything FOSS stands for.

but i literally once tried to install gentoo on a vm and gave it 6 cores out of 8 so i would be able to do something with my system while that is running and it took like almost the whole day from afternoon to night to compile the system with desktop etc.

it just doesnt seem to be worth it for me over debian

btw my computer case is black and I work the mouse by putting my hand on it and pushing the buttons

this is what support looks like

also this is how you do it on windows and this other one worked on centos 4 years ago.
glad I could help

>just barely werking.
Fixed.

maybe that's because you were running it in a vm? and I don't need to tell you that it will never compile as long as does the first time
I just installed gentoo to another partition, for the sake of backup, including bootstrapping and rebuilding glibc and everything else after the initial setup and upgrade with only 4 cores. Took me a couple hours, mainly because I was doing it remotely and busy with a ton of other shit. I don't think its weird to have to spend half the night installing it, it really is worth it, you're building something from the ground up and are responsible for more or less every little thing.
I mean its a lot faster to buy a prebuilt pc, instead of collecting the parts you want and doing it all yourself, but there clear advantages to doing it all yourself.

not all of compiz works on different desktops and it crashes.
maybe they should have waited another year

I see a lot of fixes for rc 2 and 3 but now that it's all changed in the final release there's no need to tell ppl how to fix those same problems now?

>debian is more stable than arch
Shit bait

are you lost arch user? this isn't the screenfetch thread

>it's like driving a stick instead of an automatic
So, it's wasteful and dangerous. Good analogy there actually, I completely agree.

>arch is more stable than debian
kys you fucking idiot

Install devuan

>It doesn't take long to compile with modern systems
Yeah but I compiled gentoo with Pentium 4-M
Get on my level

T H I S

THIS IS THE ONLY THING ON THIS THREAD THAT MAKES ANY FUCKING SENSE.

SAY NO TO SYSTEMD

But I prefer my OS logo to look like menstruation being flushed down a toilet.

>t. faggot

It not like driving a stick; it is like having to hand crank the engine to start the car.

Why don't you lend a hand instead of complaining?

There is only one distro and Ian is its prophet (PBUH). He will return to us in 3 years, as is his wont and in accordance with the pace of Stable package updates.

ive just arrived. openbox + tint2, what else is there in life?

>systemd
Nope.

Wait until you buy a brand new video card which requires brand new drivers. Sure you can pin the driver from experimental after a couple weeks, but if the devs find dependency issues you won't be able to do that any more until they resolve them.

>FF
Yeah. I use oldstable and can't wait to get the newest version of FF, because it does exactly the same but adds DRM shit and disables some addons. When are these awesome features coming to Jessie? One can't browse without such features!

Historically you could solve some of that with Debian's backports repo, but you're right that the absolute newest kernels might not even be in there. And since stretch is new, there is like only 4 packages in there now.
That is one reason why I prefer CentOS in some ways -- for whatever reason, that community has way better backports. Probably because they support a release for 10 fucking years.