Why do people buy laptops they cannot disassemble and service?

Why do people buy laptops they cannot disassemble and service?

Because you shouldn't be spending more than $200 on a laptop and they're disposable at that point.

because they're not scavengers looking for a deal on broken laptops

>tfw want to upgrade my thinkpad
>tfw it's cheaper to buy a new 2nd hand one with all the upgrades

>Why do people buy laptops they cannot disassemble and service?
97% of the people buying/using laptops cannot service or even disassemble their laptops.

I had to fully disassemble my Alienware laptop to get to the cmos battery and it was overall pretty simple.

Because everything is going that way.

I don't even know what to get to replace my trusty T420 if i have to. Thought about the T440p because of the non-soldered upgradeable CPU but after that there's nothing.

Except you're wrong, because modern day, expensive laptops are in fact more disposable then they've ever been. Soldered everything; CPUs got more efficient?- reduce batter size. And so on. Consumers ruin everything.

this

now delet this stupid thread

And why is that? People consider using GUI applications, taping on icons on their phones, and using a search engine technology. These people unironically call you a luddite if you even mention you don't value consumer technology like smartphones, or say you don't want IoT devices in your home and connected to the internet. People are more illiterate than ever, despite the progress in technology.

Why would anyone want a brick of a laptop when we have the technology to make them light and sleek?

Why would you want to? Laptops are finicky and flimsy as fuck because you're trying to cram in all these delicate electronics in a small package.

that's what i love about the dell inspiron 15 7000 laptops

I can replace anything I want in my Vostro 3350.

Because it's a Dell. While not the best on the build quality side, they're quite serviceable.

I use a thinkpad x60.
F R E E D O M

R

E

E

D

O

M

same here, they're basically perfect except that the screens are kind of shitty.

i actually got me a recertified 7559 model with the nicer ips 4k screen since the new ones weren't as good. Swapping in my ssd and ram, 1min ish, that single screw full panel is perfect

>not the best on the build quality
Latitudes are basically as well built as it gets

that sounds perfect. I have the 7559 with the 1080p screen, and ya I put in an M2 drive (will probably switch the hdd out once 1tb ssd's drop down in price a bit) and added another 8gb of ram.

Works perfectly, absolutely no complaints and would recommend it to anyone. A 4k screen in it would be fucking awesome though

the clarity is crazy, the 960m is no slouch either, beast little machine

Ya, when Im at home I quite often run a 4k monitor off it for watching tv in my room and it has no issues. Even for games, it can run the witcher/DS3/etc on medium-high settings.

Its not really an ideal "gaming laptop", but more than good enough for me to use in hotel rooms when I travel for work

Because people with jobs earn enough money to buy a new laptop during the time it takes you to fix your old shit. Messing around with your hardware is either for hobbyists who really enjoy it or desperate poorfags.

>muh consumer boogieman
A smartphone gives you a mobile internet browser, mp3 player, camera, gps and phone in one little package. You can make an argument over IoT stuff but smartphones are a great device to have, unless you never leave your basement.

i literally got mine for when i travel for doctors appointments haha, tired of lugging my corsair c70 case with me

General lack of interest. Yes being able to repair your stuff is awesome, but as far as things like upgrades and expansions, laptops are incredibly limited. If you can upgrade the CPU (old ThinkPad style) it's still limited to maybe one other chip from the same Intel series, you can almost never change the GPU. Sure you can add more RAM and storage, but in a world with M.2 and thin & light laptops shipping with 16GB of RAM, it's really just not necessary.

Because I've had three ThinkPads and my Macbook was still the best laptop I've ever used. I like good screens, good trackpads, usable speakers (even though they're not really "good"), and a good OS.

> it's still limited to maybe one other chip from the same Intel series
False.
> you can almost never change the GPU.
True but there is the eGPU route
> Sure you can add more RAM and storage, but in a world with M.2 and thin & light laptops shipping with 16GB of RAM, it's really just not necessary.
What?

I'm not poor, i got a refurbished latitude with an i5, a 500gb ssd and a 1920x1080 panel and threw that shit together for less than 350 dollars. an equivalent new laptop would have cost 1000 at the time, it's not stupid to save money and unscrewing some shit and plugging things into a motherboard isn't really hard work pham

Because I'm not retarded and I don't break my laptop.

You gotta change the thermal paste someday user

>memory fails
>ssd fails
>capacitor dies
>battery dies
>backlight dies
>hinges get loose
>want to upgrade parts?- SOLDERED
And you can't fix any of them. But I suppose it doesn't matter when you consider it a disposable object and just buy a new one.

Because I value things I use over paper-thin laptops.

There's a market for paper thin laptops but 90% of consumers prefer thicker good laptops.

Companies are so out of touch, they get angry that people aren't buying their fimsy garbage with sealed n' soldiered batteries, SSDs, and CPU. Why? Companies want to increase profit margins by standardizing parts across their entire laptop line, making low-cost laptops while making sure they break in time for next year's model -- and they want you to like it!

>16:9
>not poor