What linux distro do you use Sup Forums?

what linux distro do you use Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

archlinux.org/
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=192752
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Everyday distro: Noobuntu
Experimental and under research for next "Everyday distro" classification: Arch w/ openrc, Gentoo, Shrine, Astra Linux.

Microshaft Wangblows Niggernet Exploder

Raspbian on my Pi, Ubuntu on my VMs.

MacOS

void linux

Arch

Arch on my laptop but i'm really tempted to install gentoo once i build a new desktop
Also, i'm so hyped by guixSD, i'll give it a try

One laptop confined to the power brick running Linux Mint, another laptop running CloverOS, desktop dual-boots Zorin and Windows 10.

debian everywhere

all of those distros are same shit anyways

Linuxlite 3.4. Just works. Easy to customize. Easy to use.

settled with Arch and i3+Xubuntu.
Might have to switch back to a non rolling release distro like ubuntu if I have to relocate regularly and leave my main desktop unattended for so long.
Its the only part I hate about arch but if you can regularly update the OS you won't have to worry about migrating to a new major version release like with ubuntu.

Kubuntu because I'm a normalfag

I will use Devuan, Gentoo, or Slackware. Whenever I feel like putting it on my thinkpad I hardly use, that is.

Where my openSuse bros at?

Germany

I just installed Ubuntu and it feels just like a reskinned windows 7. What exactly is the point of Ubuntu?

If you use anything other than CentOS, Ubuntu or RHEL, you might as well just use Windows.

Who Linux from scratch? Is the time worth it, and how long until you switched back to a regular distro?

Ubuntu, but highly prob move away cuz gnome

Manjaro i3

Slackware

Why, does arch break if you do a lot of updates all at once rather than a little bit at a time?

I haven't tried it but wouldn't want to risk it, it is not about a lot of updates at once but rather that it is pulling the latest update which might not work on a very old version of some packages.
I've heard some people say it is recommended to update arch once every 2 weeks or so and not to drag it on beyond a month.
I prefer to update regularly since if you leave it for too long it will take more time instead of just a few seconds but if you have to leave your PC unattended for a very long time it would suck.

Android, Chromebook, Roku.
Basically anything that makes stallman sad.

Mind you I am talking out of my ass here I hope someone proves me wrong.

So if the new update doesn't work on the old package, could you just delete the package and install the new one?

I'm still on ubuntu 14 and I need to upgrade. I want to switch to Arch, but people on Sup Forums talking about ways it can break is discouraging me.

Can't comment on stability since I've only used it for a month, I haven't had it break on me yet with i3+xfce, you just have to check the arch wiki page before you update your OS to make sure there is no manual intervention required.
For manual intervention that last one was 3 months or so ago, usually you just follow what few steps they tell you to do and carry on, doesn't take long and happens rarely.
Go to archlinux.org/ and you'll see what I mean last manual intervention was just 3 lines into the terminal.
They are not regular so most of the time you just "pacman -Syu" if there is no announcement and paddle along just like "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade".

Initial setup is pretty quick, after finishing the core install customising can take a fair amount of time depending on what DE/WM you choose to go with. Took me around a week to customise to my liking.
But that was only because I was setting up GPU passthrough as well and learning how to write custom scripts like how to automatically create snapshots of the system with rsync and systemd, and how to write two separate xorg.conf files for each GPU so I can switch my main GPU between Nvidia and intel (depending on whether I want to pass the dedicated one to a VM or not) with a single command (have to logout though).

I did try wayland on DEs like GNOME and KDE and they broke regularly especially KDE plasma jesus so fucking unusable freezes and locks up a few minutes in.
My advice would be to try setting it up in a VM like virtualbox and play with it for a while to see if you like it or not, a graphical installer like manjaro would be easier but there is little point in doing so as a beginner if you don't know how to maintain it yourself when things break.

>So if the new update doesn't work on the old package, could you just delete the package and install the new one?
yeah you should be able to do that, might be a little fiddly if the package has other packages that depend on it.

I might be worrying over nothing, this guy managed to update a 6month arch install in a VM.
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=192752
>updated a six months old Arch VM without any major hickups. It certainly can be done, but there is no way to tell, if there are two consequent updates in two months, changing two core elements of the system, making it impossible to update from one old state to another without a step in between

Currently Solus on my laptop and Debi an on my server. I usually switch distros every year or so on my laptop.

Manjaro KDE on stable branch. Updated enough for me, and works with all my hardware, while looking great.

Slackware. Fits.

Threw Linux Mint on my laptop out of curiosity. At face value it seems just like Windows 7. Been using Windows exclusively since 98, so I'm kind of excited to try something new. I'll probably start distro hopping for shits and giggles and see what kind of experience I can get.

musl void

Arch
will probably move to Debian in the future though, or lts arch

Just did a 1.8 GB download uodate on my father's pc. It works well. It's quite rare nowadays that update breaks arch.

It's an operating system, not some magic software that will automatically make you a better programmer, better in bed, give you a raise at work, and improve your productivity tenfold. Just use it like an operating system

hannah montana linux

Main Gentoo, secondaries Arch.

Debian + KDE master race.

manjaro because there was a community version I was curious about... but I'm thinking about jumping ship to bunsen

(turns out community releases blow)

Fedora is best. Dnf is best package manager honestly.

ZorinOS Lite. It's the only XFCE distro which doesn't looks like shit by default, imho.

I have no desktop and only have three old laptops but I use Mint, Debian and sometimes usb boot into Tails.

Gentoo for server, Arch for the rest.

Source Mage GNU/Linux

ubuntu
but i prefer macos/window

>Gentoo server

Do you also enjoy seeing your wife get fucked by large black men in your spare time?

>your wife
?

Gentoo on the server is actually very good if security is your goal.

Yes I do

Mint
It's comfy

OpennSuSE which is, imo, the most complete desktop experience for Linux.

I will send you the updated version as soon after I get back from the course on this project and I will be able to make it to the meeting on Monday morning and will be able to get it to you by the end of the week and I will be able to make it to the next class session this evening with my wife

Debian Sid.

does anybody have r9 280x and using linucks? when they gonna make good drivers for gcn 1.0 cards?

GNU/Windows

What kernel does it use?

GNU/Windows NT

Parabola

Currently have an old Arch install on my x220 that I haven't updated in probably close to a year, pretty worried it's going to have a meltdown if/when I do update, and feeling like I want to try another distro on it anyway, what's a nice "justwerx" preferably Xfce out of the box distro with a good number of recent packages for a thinkpad?

gentoo

Arch on my desktop, stock fedora on my laptop

It has its advantages. For example it's a lot less locked down than windows; you can uninstall the default user interface and replace it with another one of your choosing, it comes with a decent package manager, it's unix-like, and you can (for the most part) view and modify the source of everything

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

KDE Neon
Also Charlotte fucking sucked and you're waifu is shit

Updates actually make your system more stable.
You're technically supposed to pacman -Syu before installing any new software btw

test

fucking screenfetch niggers

arch
i don't like using outdated software

Absolutely disgusting
Install neofetch

I use Gentoo GNU/Linux on home server, and Fedora 25 GNU/systemd on my laptop. also use tails maybe 20% of the time on laptop
nice lain

Mint Manjora Kali

align the resource usage bars to the right of the terminal pls

you misunderstood
neofetch, screenfetch, assfetch, its all the same, made for retards to show off their "epic kool rice", flooding up technology threads with their autismo shit

(You)

But I was alerting readers to an important software update.
++ by streamlining neofetch output of some CPUs there will be less neofetch thread when you really think about it.

There's no option to do that.
I looked at the script, but it uses the same routine for / and /home. My conditional statement hand is weak.

it's because not updating for a while you probably missed the arch post that said something required manual intervention, and didn't do those manual interventions that were necessary since the last time you updated
this can be mitigated by checking the website to see what has been said about any updates since then, and doing them before updating

wew quads i'm feelin lucky

Android on a HTC 530

OpenBSD

debian. Very occasionally I'll use ubuntu when using amdgpu-pro for something.

Cyanogenmod 10 anzu

windows 7

Misses 2nd quads by 8.

mint cinnamon for my NAS/HTPC/Torrent box because it just works. configure samba and its done. winfag for main pc because Sup Forums