BSD thread

This is an experimental BSD thread for anyone willing to discuss, help newbies or learn more about BSD in general.

I'll start. Anyone here using FreeBSD on their Raspberry Pi 3? It seems FreeBSD has more up to date packages than Raspbian has, so I'm considering switching.

Other urls found in this thread:

tedunangst.com/flak/post/ZFS-on-OpenBSD
man.openbsd.org/athn
man.openbsd.org/kld
man.openbsd.org/kldload
man.openbsd.org/kldunload
man.openbsd.org/FreeBSD-11.0/kldload.8
trueos.org/
man.openbsd.org/config.8#EXAMPLES_(kernel_modification)),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

Polite bump

Is there a way to manage non BSD/non ZFS partitions, such as on external disks? Specifically OpenBSD but I'd like to know if there's anything for BSD at all.
Also, how do I make it lock once I close the lid on my Thinkpad x220?
And is there a way to make the Thinkvantage button work? I've tried the tpb package but it doesn't seem to recognize input (tpb -v and pressing the button gives no verbose)
One last thing, my laptop feels rather sluggish under OpenBSD, it's the i5-2520m model, so it should be good enough, but CPU usage with Firefox can reach up to more than 100% (???), it also sucks the ram out of my machine (xfce+all my packages only need 150 so why does ff need 2gigs lol)
it's not just ff, it's sluggish in general, which i presume wouldn't happen with windows
to the point- what do i do to speed it up? it's not a hardware issue 100%. if it runs well with windows why wouldn't it run well with such a lightweight os?

also to OP's questions, I'm not using BSD on the Pi but I don't think there's a reason it wouldn't work properly. software compatibility as i've stated before is lacking and you're gonna have to get used to it as it's a bit different than linux, if you're only looking for up to date packages make sure you're willing to compromise not even having some packages. so take that into consideration
overall it depends on your needs

does OpenBSD support zfs?

Nope, the devs do not like how complex it is. They like specific parts of ZFS but it's difficult to implement those parts as a standalone solution because ZFS isn't modular.

tedunangst.com/flak/post/ZFS-on-OpenBSD

He mentions the HAMMER filesystem from DragonflyBSD as a contender to replace UFS/FFS though

>contender to replace UFS/FFS though
Well I read too far into it. He mentions porting HAMMER over (OpenBSD implied). He also seems to be saying that UFS/FFS is okay for now though so no apparent rush to work on a new filesystem just yet.

>HAMMER on OpenBSD
I want to believe.

>FFS
lol

tell me then, what filesystem do I use for media partitions and an external HDD that I'd share between linux, freebsd and openbsd?

installed openbsd on my shitbook and found out it does not identify my wifi card correctly (uses ath driver), it is an Atheros/Qualcomm AR242x/AR542x and uses ath5k on linux. the correct driver appears to be athn man.openbsd.org/athn but i am not certain. is it possible to test in the shell before installing? if so how? i could not find the equivalent to modprobe and rmmod.

ath0 is the interface name given, a message error appeared saying the interface could not be reset, if memory serves me right.

kldload and kldunload

daily remainder that BSD is only relevant for specific server applications.
This a consumer-only board which does not include technical stuff like discussing servers or any other kind of """real""" technology

man.openbsd.org/kld
man.openbsd.org/kldload
man.openbsd.org/kldunload
>No results found.

Be the change you wish to see.

I fucked up, I know it's kldload on FreeBSD and I searched "OpenBSD kldload" and got a man page for it, I don't know why OpenBSD hosts FreeBSD manpages though.
>man.openbsd.org/FreeBSD-11.0/kldload.8
I didn't check the url only that it was the first result. My bad.

Ffs is fine.
Way cleaner, more reliable and generally better than ext4.

Exactly. Trying to use BSD for anything other than a server application is absolutely nonsensical. It's a complete novelty, and it's essentially wrestling for compatibility whenever you encounter a simple problem that would just natively work on almost anything else. Obviously there are a few exceptions, but overall.. BSD is NOT for desktop use. PERFECT for server use however. My #1 choice.

Openbsd does not have kernel module support.

I'll rather just be myself :-)

PS: I DID NOT MADE THIS PICTURE. THIS IS A PROPERTY OF FUNNYJUNK.

Runtime loading was disabled year ago for security purposes.

It's like I'm really in the 2000's again.

Chrome works way better on openbsd than firefox does.
I run openbsd on my main laptop and use that.

>It's like I'm really in the 2000's again.
basically the only firewalls the german government is allowed to use (for outside connections) are running openBSD. If it hasnt changed in the past few years then there is literally only one BSI certified company for firewalls.

I'm implying that the person I'm replying to is speaking in a way that's reminiscent of the year 2000 where people kept saying *nix is only for servers despite all the workstation and desktop oriented distributions available at the time, it was acceptable then and it's only gotten better since. The person I'm replying to is saying so in jest and I'm replying in the same manner, just for fun.

trueos.org/

>Runtime loading was disabled year ago for security purposes.
how do i force it to use athn driver for my wireless card, then?

ext2, FAT or NTFS. The first two are supported read/write out of the box, the last requires a package (ntfs_3g) for write support.

ext3fs is also backwards compatible with ext2fs, its journaling features just aren't enabled when mounted in ext2 mode.

If you want to force the kernel to load a different driver than it does by default I think you need to config(8) it (man.openbsd.org/config.8#EXAMPLES_(kernel_modification)), but I've never done this myself. That said, are you sure you just haven't installed the firmware for your card?

By fixing the config_attach functions of the drivers in question.

Just take a look at hotplugd

thanks senpai, i will post back if athn works.

1. OpenBSD still has fdisk(8), is that not enough?
2. I think some of the desktop environments you can install for OpenBSD do this automagically or can be configured to do so just like on Linux, but if you want the barebones way:

- start xidle in the background in your .xsession
- put pkill -USR1 xidle in /etc/apm/suspend

this signals xidle (to lock the screen, by default) when your laptop suspends. apmd(8) may have something specifically for just the lid close action.
4. OpenBSD performance isn't too good since they've still got locking granularity problems with the kernel. It's gotten a lot better with the last few versions, but it's still pretty visible in modern browsers and desktop environments that spawn a lot of threads spending a lot of time in syscalls. You may find hacks for this on the misc mailing list but perhaps the better option is to just wait.

i'm pretty sure freebsd's focus is mostly x86 architectures, i don't think they even have packages for the pi, only ports

Setting up your own package server is pretty easy and you can do cross compilation for it too. I used to do this for the PPC branch because compiling on a PS3 was annoying with the RAM limits.