Business IT Fuckups

Wells Fargo webservices are down at the moment.
How much do you think an hour of that would cost them?
What other business IT fuckups have you run into?

Chipotle won't let me order online for some reason. And I love Chipotle.

Not a "non-free" issue just a webservice goof?

I understand routine maintenance but most companies send out a notice ahead of time for that.
Hell, my small town ISP sends out maintenance emails sometimes twice a week when they're expanding service. Insofar, I haven't had an interrupt in service from those.
Major businesses going down without warning is a little disconcerting though.

One of the last big fuckups I remember was when American Idol started and the phone systems at the time weren't prepared (rightly, didn't expect) such a huge load. That was somewhat comical but still a concern.

Yeah basically, it just says that the servers are down. Thing is, their servers for the online ordering have been down for days, likely resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses, possibly millions. I go there and order anyways, but I'd like to just walk in and walk out. Because I'm an autistic faggot who hates socializing.

I accidentally the whole company network when plugging in one core switch into another core switch causing a traffic loop

Sorting by price has been broken on Kohl's website for months

Wells Fargo is lucky to be in business, they can go an hour without their shitty website

What the fuck is a wells fargo? Some bankers name?

Again, big business IT fuckup.

I wouldn't call that huge, but it's definitely inconvenient.
Yes, it's a bank. A fairly large one.
I don't know how much business they do commercially, but what they do do, I imagine downtime costs them and their clients some significant amount of money.

Worked for a company that put everything in the "cloud" however not from a big provider but some small cheap one. Result: We couldn't work nor use mail for a day

BTB cnc machines run Windows xp with a virtual machine of even more xp inside so btb can teamviewer in at any time
Btb is in Italy
Everything we do on thr machine goes through their servers, sometimes we get a bit of lag

So what I had to do with tbese machines when I did ant little repairs was let BTB view the console so they could watch what I was doing. In this case it was replacing a small plastic air valve, it blows brass chips away from the loading tools, it had been leaking.
Penumatics are off digitally, ive basically just pressed a button that cuts off that one section from air. This isn't a dangerous thing where id have to turn off all air physically, its not high pressure, maybe at the level of a can of computer duster
So ive got it off, btb is watching and I pull the valve out, get in there with a pipecleaner to prep the hose, and thr air kicks back on and blows a bunch of razor sharp brass shavings right under my glasses and into my eyes.

Cue angry swearing and punching things, followed by removing brass from my eyes with tweezers in the bathroom, and I come back to find that the btb guy watching me turned the air back on "as a test" to see how I could handle it. I left that job shortly after.

Having a million dollar machine require a VM connected to fucking Italy where a retard who doesnt know how to operate the machine watches you, that is an IT fuck up. The most complicated and retarded shit.

What the fuck.
>I left that job shortly after
Damn straight. Is your vision okay after that? No corneal damage?

>Working in a sweatshop in India
Let me know when you get some gigabit switches user, those 10mbit hubs must be getting on a bit.

They also once did a remote update in the middle of our working hours that resulted in everything breaking, startup resulted in Java errors in german, on an Italian machine being run in America. And none of the software would start.
They also once locked out our safety door switches, and then broke the controller for them when we told them to unlock the doors, meaning the doors would sometimes work and sometimes wouldn't. And that opening the doors, even if the machine was in safe idle, would cause a full stop and we had to restart the hydraulics and penumatics every single time.
Sometimes they would adjust the clock without telling us and everything would be off by an hour for a few days.
I had a space oddessy moment where while going to replace a pusher arm unit, I for some reason couldn't open the safety door to where the motors and shit are. I have a key that opens the physical lock, if the machine is in full stop an electronic lock opens. But it wouldn't, so I asked the guy on teamviewer why it woulnt open, he said that I should not open the machine and replace the pusher since the machine says the pusher is working fine. The machine cannot measure the angle of a bent pusher, thr pusher pushes fine, it does not push the actual part however. He continues and refuses to let me into the motor area.
"Open the safety door linguine"
"I'm afraid I can't do that without my supervisor"
I was so fucking mad

Pro tip:
>dont give the meatballs control over your million dollar machine

No, nothing too bad, eyes hurt and I had some visible scratches on the shiny bits of my eye, but everything is well now.

>What other business IT fuckups have you run into?
Found a nice cross-site-scripting issue on a big corporation website, went unfixed for months after I reported it

Good lord. I used a trumpf that was running 3.1 and it was all local. Wtf, mang?!
Fucking hell, I'd have sued those fucks and extradited their ass into pound-them-in-the-ass prison ASAP. Holy, fuck that's a constant nightmare. Welcome to the botnet and all that shit. FUCK!

WHoa shit, I've never thought this shit was a thing.
FUck that shit, cut the eth and spoof the shit. Fuck that's some fucking bullshit. No way. No way I'd even touch a machine like that. You couldn't pay me.

Backstory: Australia, ~2005, We're still on ~40GB datacaps at the highend for DSL, since most everything was served from USA (Youtube especially) and undersea cables cost a lot.

Story: My local ISP was a bit stupid, they didn't have separate billing systems or any sort of checks in place between DSL and dialup accounts, so while most people are paying AUD$94.99 a month for 1500/256k with 40GB data, I'm only paying for a 1GB data plan at $49.99 (still 1500/256)
I also have a dialup account with the ISP, which was a pretty standard unlimited hours affair (datacaps didn't exist on dialup, since most accepted that a customer using a whopping ~25MiB an hour wasn't all that bad)

The fuckup was that I could use my dialup login on my DSL modem, so even in 2005 Australia, I had unmetered data.

what the fuck

Some years ago when Steam still had phone/SMS billing. I was ordering free SIM cards from Ebay that came with a 20€ Amazon coupon, you had to cancel these cards within x weeks before the contract kicked in, seller got provision, that's why it worked somehow.

Anyways, I had some money left on a card and charged my Steam wallet. No money subtracted from card, but I now had +10€ (or whatever it was) on my Steam wallet. I repeated this a few times more. But I was unfomfortable with it so not too much. Asked the SIM company support about it, they said everything's fine. Never received a bill, never got charged the extra money.

Bought TF2 keys.

Lots of fun stuff happens in salesforce

I wouldn't call that a fuckup. that's a loophole.

Have an old friend that runs a computer shop and he does some fucked up things. The thing is most people deal with it because its a small city (12-13,000 pop) and the nearest city is a 45min drive one way. Any other near by places are small towns/villages. Yea, I'm talking about Nebraska.

He does shit like using bootleg software for small businesses in the area, working on computers for companies that have their own tech people in a bigger city that will travel, and giving bad tech/advise to small businesses.

Done a network job with him because he doesn't know shit about servers, networks, etc besides for normal home networks. This was for a printing company in town. I ran cabling while he setup some old ass all-in-one gateways that were low spec and installed a bootleg copy of Photoshop and Microsoft office on each one and then decided instead of installing a server for files and what not he used the owners main computer for the server. I kept my mouth close till after the job. He charged them $20 for a 2 hour job. After that I jumped his ass for it.

There is a bunch of stupid ass shit that he does and I ended up stealing some of his customers and ended up fixing his fuck ups for them. Made some good money doind it. Thought about starting my own shop but I ended up moving instead.

About 8 or 9 years ago. Small company that sells Chinese cheap shit for a higher price because middle age women like that shit. Mostly house decorations. They use iMacs running a VM with Windows XP. All their software is for Windows. They told me that they do it this way so the computers won't get a virus because it's a Mac.

People thinking that running Windows on a Mac won't get viruses.

two of them, actually

You should sue them for that.

ive worked for a firm that had everything from 5 cnc units operating though the bosses wifes laptop.
because "she had to make sure all the machines were running"
yeah i walked outta that after a months ez pay, turned out most applicants last less than 4 hours and they turned over 70 people that month

never give your wife a job that she knows fuck all about