What is the difference between a good and a bad programmer?

What is the difference between a good and a bad programmer?

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.blog/2017/06/15/developers-use-spaces-make-money-use-tabs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

me and you

Laggy websites vs good ones? From what I hear its all jscript and awful optimization now. Really makes me miss 90s internet

Usually it's the ads that make websites horribly laggy

people that use C and everyone else

-efficient code
-non-fragile code
-documented code
-bug-free code (occurs once a decade)

A good programmer makes programs that are fast, elegant, and most importantly, functional
A bad programmer won't consider at least one of those 3 traits for their programs

From what I understand its a combination of loading all of the ads and useless connections, along with copy paste jscripts to make a lot of stuff work rather than programming from scratch or making efficient code. Some anons posted some good examples last time.

Theres always apologists going "well if you had a good pc/isp youd never notice the load times etc" but thats not really an argument when the past was built on efficiency.

>Code can be optimal algorithmically. Good programmers know how to get their code closer to ideal than bad ones

>Code takes time to write. Faster devs who deliver the same solution slower ones give are better.

>Code can be secure from attackers. Good programmers can write code defended against attacks, as they know the attack vectors.

>Code is sometimes collaborative. People better at explaining their work to others and helping others code are better

>Code is occasionally a chance to show a clever solution to a problem. Good programmers recognize opportunities to be clever, and then are clever

There you go, user.

For one, if you use SPACE instead of TAB.

stackoverflow.blog/2017/06/15/developers-use-spaces-make-money-use-tabs/

I find that its come to a point where more powerful hardware is only there to compensate for the constantly bloating software.

Thats exactly it and I hate it. People have been getting dumber too. Coders are all dudebros or outsourced now. I really need to educate myself more so I can join the workforce and do something good for the world.

good programmer uses spaces
bad programmer uses tabs

the other one is good and the other one is bad

What's the reason for this though?

Proximity to India

You know you are good when you hate your job

Ability to work in a team setting.

Lot's of talented programmers out there that fall short on all of their projects because they refuse the help of others.

POO superiority

I'm a pajeet and use tabs, maybe that's why I can't get into the US

This, it doesn't matter how good you are if you can't work in a team.

he is the good one and you're the bad?

>both

These days, being able to read other people's code and understand what is going on is a lot more important than being able to invent the wheel again from scratch.

Don't underestimate how handling zillions of html nodes with tons of applies CSS options has to go through CPU cache.

Most importantly:
Social skills. (If you never want a job or contribute to anything at all and are doing everything alone you can ignore this, but then you are a shit programmer anyway)
After that:
Math skills.
And finally:
An in-depth understanding of the tools he is using.

Good programmers make efficient, solutions other people can understand and use.
Bad programmers bitch about programming languages.

Having read SICP.

>:
>;

Nice comma splice

>difference between a good and a bad programmer
The programming socks.

What does Theo wear then?
Some sort of reverse long johns?

Or does the freedom of 3Clause BSD give him the power to do good programming in real long johns?

the serenity to accept the things they cannot code, the courage to code the things they can, and the wisdom to tell the difference.

/thread