Shitposting aside...

Shitposting aside, when can we expect AMD or Intel to release a 6+ core CPU with IPC and core clocks to match what a 5GHz 7700K can do in applications that aren't optimised for multi-threaded?

Don't say:

>'it already exists xddd'

Because you aren't getting any X99 CPU to 5GHz unless you are the luckiest guy on the planet.

Other urls found in this thread:

siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/7700k50g
gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why do you need a multicore cpu for applications that can't into multithreading?

Glofo 7nm process (what zen 2 will be built on) works at highest efficiency on 5GHz, so there's that

Maybe sometimes I want to do multicore stuff, but also don't want my games to run like it's 2013 and I own a Piledriver CPU.

If you're trying to compare Zen with Bulldozer, just stop now.

Also, 5 GHz is silicon lottery territory even for i7-7700K.

Normie applications at best support 4 cores. You'd be wasting money.

So Zen2 in theory should perform like a 7700K in games, b-but I can also do light work in the background without my framerate dropping to zero?

basically, yes

I don't want to get my hopes up about Zen 2 only to be disappointed so all I'm hoping for is IPC parity with Intel and maybe a bit more clockspeed. 5 GHz probably isn't going to happen.

pic related is what zen 1 was built on

If my're son looked like that I'd cum on his're face.

Is zen2 gonna be on socket AM4?

Next year, thanks to IBM Nazi technology.

Yes.

Yes.
AMD has confirmed many times that at least their first generation of 7nm CPUs will be usable on the equivalent current 14nm CPUs sockets.
AM4 is supported until at least 2020.

if i knew zen 2 would be that good i'd have gotten r5 1600 and waited for zen2 instead of r7 1700

who here /dumb/

No-one knew the details of Zen's 7nm process until just recently.

That is great I always hated that about intel everytime you want to upgrade you have to buy a new motherboard, assuming you bought the best cpu it supported at release. This will propably make me switch this time.

I meant Zen 2, fuck.

Yeah I got a 1600X (on sale for $220) since I just wanted to have an AM4 socket cooler that's quiet to continue to use later, and to have something cheap to get on the platform with before I get the 8 core that has higher single core performance.

Was on an i5-2500k, so about time I got on a new platform and got something more efficient.

Umm Anandtech wrote a piece on it about a year ago. Not as detailed as we know now, but enough.
We knew that the 14nm LPP was aimed for 3ghz+ while the 7nm process was aimed at 4ghz+, at least.

Yep. Fuck Intel.

Do you know if the stock cooler is better then a 212? I have a 212 EVO but I read it won't fit

No, it's closer to a hyper tx3 evo in performance

It similar performance to the 212 at a given fan speed.
212 will cool more past that point by being louder.
It's a 95w TDP cooler pretty much.

Zen 2 will be made on a 7nm process. It's aim is going to be higher clock speeds as well as more ipc. Maybe the top of the line Zen 2 will reach 5GHz but we can't be sure about that. For all we know it could be stuck at 4.7GHz. However Zen 2 will have a 10% ipc increase according to the roadmap which would make a 4.5GHz Zen 2 cpu slightly faster than a 7770K at 5GHz (which people tend to forget is also a hard get in the silicone lottery).

If AMD is able to keep up with their own roadmap (which they even surpassed with Zen) they will own Intel in all possible ways (except AVX512 which no one uses).

The future is looking bright.

She looks anorexic. Those legs need some training.

>>'it already exists xddd'
But it does. Messing around with settings you could probably set some of the chips to have much more aggressive turbo behaviour. This is of, of course, not standard behaviour but then neither is a 5GHz 7700k.

IIRC POWER7 had this ability out of the box by disabling half the cores of any given chip and using the additional headroom to push the remaining cores to ~5GHz. It's not unreasonable to expect this from a consumer chip sometime in the near future.

>run google images
>read it up on know your may may

i thought she had a dick.

>5GHz
But user, only a few guys are lucky enough to get the 7700K to 5Ghz, and that's after delidding and voiding the warranty.

Is this really true? I thought 5Ghz on a 7700K was like 4.5Ghz on Ivy Bridge, i.e. almost guaranteed.

>almost guaranteed
No, not guaranteed at all. Nigga, the 7700K has overheating problems on STOCK.

siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/7700k50g
62% chance with delid. You will lose the silicon lottery.

Yeah but all Intel processors since Ivy have had overheating issues, that's just a given that you have to delid, shit as it is.

Not really sure I trust the figures coming out of a site specifically set up to sell you on better binned chips.

You will end up like this guy that can't even hit 4.8 stable, on Skylake.

I know the feel of getting shitty overclockers, I'm currently using a 3570K that needs 1.48V for 4.8Ghz.

You should probably upgrade before it dies, lol.

It just bluescreened on me literally five minutes ago. Looks like it will only do 4.7 at this voltage. I bought a second 3570K to replace my old one which must be the worst overclocker of all time, it needed 1.36v for 4.5.

I don't really care if it dies to be honest as I can't see the Sandy/Ivy/Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake/Kaby-tier processors lasting much longer. Really hoping that by the end of the year four core $300 CPU's will be a thing of the past.

You can get Ryzen 5 1600X and try for 4 GHz, or wait for Coffee Lake and delid/OC it with watercooling and hope for the best.

Just going to wait for Zen2/Intel's response to Zen2 by the sound of it. The only thing stopping me picking up Ryzen is it's inability to match Sandy clock for clock in single threaded applications, I just don't want to get any worse framerates than I'm already getting in 10+ year old games that are piss poorly optomised.

Ryzen and Sandy are dead even in terms of single core even when taking into account overclocking.

Might want to take a look at this gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-3

>She

I've seen it. Obviously 3570K to 7700K would be a performance bump, but fuck dumping 500+ quid into buying a new CPU, motherboard and RAM for what is at best a 50% performance bump (the examples are 1080p), and only in super modern titles.

Like I said, in a years time, sure it'll probably be worth it when games use HT, care about RAM and multiple cores more, but right now it makes absolutely zero sense to buy a new CPU considering what is likely to be released by the end of the year.

Isn't the performance differential between Sandy and Kaby in modern titles mostly due to the advancements in RAM speed since 2011, instead of the actual CPU speed itself anyway?

no

/thread

>Shitposting aside
>Posting the ugliest whore in the world
Yeah sure faggot