I've got a conspiracy theory, and I am not too sure about how realistic it is so hear me out

I've got a conspiracy theory, and I am not too sure about how realistic it is so hear me out.

At the moment, Aldi (food store) uses bluetooth tracking to track your movements throughout the store when walking around. They admit so themselves within their privacy policy which you can find online when you search "aldi privacy policy".

I have bluetooth headphones. When walking around in the city, sometimes they drop out when walking past CCTV cameras, owned by the government. This could be caused only by one thing; heavy traffic on the 2.4ghz spectrum. Now either the cameras are transmitting their feed over wifi or bluetooth, or something more sinister is happening.

My theory is that the government is using bluetooth tracking in heavy populated places to connect your phones bluetooth MAC address to your face. This is no doubt far better than facial recognition, and is much more subtle than CCTV cameras.

The technology obviously exists, but do you think that the government is using it? I thought you could only view nearby bluetooth devices if they were pairing with a device? Or could you sniff the packets and find the MAC address of the sender and receiver?

Other urls found in this thread:

wigle.net/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/where-have-you-been-your-smartphones-wi-fi-is-telling-everyone/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they already do this with WiFi and cellular connections.

Here's something for you.

Tires contain RFID chips for "inventory tracking". Just put a RFID reader along the road, and you've got every car as they go by.

wow fuck that, apparently it is a 20 foot range that they can be used

I was subcontracted to set up a mesh network in Toronto specifically for the purpose of gathering metrics on people traveling in an area with a lot of shops, so they could figure out the best hours to stay open on a given day. This is becoming very popular now, surprisingly accurate. MAC addresses can (reasonably) be tied to your identity by cross referencing with cellular providers (yes, they have your wifi mac address saved). DON'T leave your wifi enabled on your phone when you're walking around.

>DON'T leave your wifi enabled on your phone when you're walking around
I have a grandfathered unlimited plan with verizon so I NEVER use wifi

I probably use more of verizon's bandwidth than I do my regular ISP

By surprisingly accurate, I mean we set up enough units so that the software could accurately triangulate the location of devices within a couple meters every few seconds.

>not having bluetooth and wifi disabled when not in use

How new are you?

Simple solution: power off your goy toy when it's not in use.

Well that would be easy if I didn't have a job or friends and family.

I could see how you could do it though.

Oh! Here's another nice little tidbit in case you didn't know. When you turn on your phone's wifi, all the last SSIDs you were in range of are broadcasted out in order. This is done because your phone won't wait for the beacon from the access point, it will just try connect to the last known SSIDs You can see this in action with a packet sniffer.

"WIFI @ MCDONALDS"
"MARRIOTT GUEST"
etc

Listeners can roughly map where your phone has been last. If your wifi is left on, you're leaving a trail what open SSIDs you've seen last.

Once again.. DON'T leave your wifi enabled when you're not using it.

>I mean we set up enough units so that the software could accurately triangulate the location of devices within a couple meters every few seconds.
so...three units?

You only need two really, and a good heuristic if you're poor af

>Aldi has a privacy policy for shopping at their fucking store

When will the next solar flare hit?

Duh?
The ONE lesson you should have learned from the snowden leaks is this:

If it is technologically possible, the government is doing it to track you.

Does anyone know can you track and view radio signals like that around you?
It would be really interesting to figure out exactly where interference like OP mentioned is coming from and what places are using tracking such as that

There was some research about a fuckton of different government servers that basically all public CCTV cameras were spamming data at. I'm not sure what happened, but there were ~3 threads about it a long time back.

>tfw people shit on my 3390 brick while getting ass-raped by the CIA

Technology exists that can push the earphones from your ears. It is likely you have caught the attention of someone you don't want to catch the attention of. Be on the lookout for a high pitched sound, and faint clicking.

>Technology exists that can push the earphones from your ears
What do you mean by this?
Like it can knock them out of your ears from a distance?

Probably pull, and very far.

He's just trolling people with Tinnitus... Why would someone listening to you covertly do something to reveal themselves, that kind of defeats the whole purpose?

The monitoring process is more complicated than you think. The trick is to get you to react, so they see your behavior. Otherwise the process takes too long.

do they still know your mac address if you bought your phone instead of recieving it from the carrier?

They don't need to know it. Just open the CCTV footage, look at nearby signals, and follow you down the road until they are certain one of the signals is yours.

This. Something called A-GPS, asssisted GPS, which you use without knowing, where your phone lists everything around you, sends it to a big database, and the database gives a rough fix on your position. Your home wifi's MAC and SSID are in this database already. Which is sad, because GPS is supposed to be entirely passive, and because of this you're sharing your position with the whole world.

Recently Wikileaks gave juicy info on some "top 1337 hackerz CIA tool", that can locate any computer using wifi. And it's not new, your phone does it every single day. Obviously Google, Apple, Amazon, and other owners of such geolocalization databases already tie your name to your devices. They can certainly locate you using your phone's MAC address and other exposed information already.

Now do government do it? Not sure. But can companies provide the service? Certainly.

What country is this? Your theory sounds pretty low tech.

I thought Verizon got to routing out all the grandfathered unlimited plans? I had one up until a few years ago where we were forced to pick a plan. now they offer unlimited again so it's all good.

Not the government one but one plenty of people wardriving submit to wigle.net/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/where-have-you-been-your-smartphones-wi-fi-is-telling-everyone/

>tfw you don't carry a mobile or any wifi/bluetooth gear with you

or do you?
Time for a full body scan, friendo.

The RFID in your debit/credit card will show every store you walked past.

jokes on you in my country people who pay with cash are not cucked and thus i don't have to carry them around

>If it is technologically possible, the government is doing it to track you.

... and has been doing it for as long as it has been possible.

>he doesn't have an RFID-blocking wallet

really the only solution to the problems with phones is to turn the damned thing off. Better yet, take the battery out. Best, leave the thing at home and live without constant connectivity like everyone did before ten years ago.

Only more and more new phones have non removable battery

yes
will need multiple antennas and place them a bit apart from eachother but yes

I have physical anxiety symptoms if my smart phone isn't on me
I wish I was kidding.