Good Laptop

I'm starting a new job soon and I can choose a laptop. I'm torn between the X1 carbon and the MacBook Pro 13".
The X1 has a bigger screen but at a worse resolution (1440p should be still okay) and a worse aspect ratio
X1 is lighter, but the MacBook is slightly thinner.
I will be mostly running GNU+Linux, but most of the stuff I can also do with macOS. I can't use Windows.
The X1 has a better battery life but I don't know whether 15 vs. 10 hours makes a real difference.

I will mostly be coding on it and light software testing. Anything that runs for more than 5 minutes will be done on a tower or a server farm. So CPU performance/thermal throttling is not that important for me.

Is the emoji bar of any use while programming? Can you put refactoring shortcuts there or something?

Also, cost is virtually irrelevant.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-Mid-2017-i5-Touch-Bar-Review.227154.0.html
google.se/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-pro-users-complain-poor-battery-life/amp/
consumerreports.org/apple/consumer-reports-now-recommends-macbook-pros/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want to know too desu

2014-2015 mbpr

>Starts career and gets pc for work
>Cant use windows famalam
>FagOs and loonix works tho

How

Go with the MacBook IMO.
It happens sometimes. Google basically banned Windows. It is just not a programming friendly OS however business friendly it might be

Why the older ones?

Need Unix. Most people use Linux, but some are successfully using Macs. Worst case: I have to install Linux on the Mac.

>why the older one's
less cancerous keyboard

Laptops for doing work should be 4:3.

Just get a fucking Thinkpad. I survived all of college with one.

With the thinkpad you'll have certainly less problems with Linux. I'd go for that unless you're willing to use mainly MacOS.

Windows is shit for programming. That's why they won't give up Visual Studio, because if you could use Visual Studio on Mac or Linux, every single programmer would drop Windows like a fucking rock.

Google already has.

I've tried it and I'm fine with it.

If 4:3 is the best, why would I choose 16:9 over 16:10?

I'm not yet sure how well everything works with macOS. I'll be working at a university, so preparing lectures, TeX, presentations and all works fine, I know that. The software I'll be working runs in principle, but no one except two guys or so rely on compatibility.

dont be a fag use a vaio

Why?

Also: What about the Dell XPS 13

>The X1 has a better battery
Not in real use.

Also isn't the new Macbook lighter if you include the power supply (assuming you mean for traveling and not uni shit)?

The Macbook got a better trackpad, at least in MacOS. If you're going to use Linux on it natively it's a shitty choice though. If you're cool with MacOS as your main driver, it's easy the Macbook. If not, it's pretty tricky. I'd probably still go with the Mac due a better aspect ratio.

Visual Studio for Mac works quite well...

If I recall it right, they don't offer 1440p option anymore, so it's either crappy 1080p or 4K with 6-7h battery life vs 8h X1 vs 9-10h for Mac.

Good point, I didn't take the power supply into account.

I just found this:
github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux

Doesn't look too good for Linux on the MBP.

Yeah, if you really insist on running it natively, it's pretty fucking meh for Linux. If you can't do the stuff you want in a VM and really want Linux as your main driver, X1 it is. Though dat 16:10 and longer battery life, specially with the touchbar less model.

Have an XPS-13 with CentOS 7. I hate Gnome (use KDE on my gentoo boxen), but it's a nice machine...

Apple shill plz go

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

Better screen ratio doesn't matter when the other has more screen real estate just because of smaller bezels.

Both are way higher resolution than needed and color/contrast is way more important.

The xps has a better keyboard (mbp is loud with minimal tactile feedback and minimal travel).

The emoji bar is useless.

The mbp is in dongle hell, and required bootcamp fiddling for Linux.

The mbp has really bad battery life in real use.

I would definitely go for the xps. That said, I don't care about the weight and would honestly prefer a old thinkpad for typing all day. Or acctually carrying a mechanical kb with the dell.

>The mbp has really bad battery life in real use.
Nah.

"The previous model still lasted almost 9.5 hours at an adjusted luminance of 150 nits, but the current model only manages ~8:40 hours. We repeated the test three times, but the result was the same with a couple of minutes' tolerance. This means the MBP Pro 13 is on par with the ThinkPad X1 Carbon and Dell XPS 13 QHD+, but they also feature bigger batteries and different resolutions."

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-Mid-2017-i5-Touch-Bar-Review.227154.0.html

Although it's pretty weird that it got worse with KB, should be fixed in an update I guess. Also this is the touchbar one. Touchbar-less 2016 one lasted 11h.

Also what benefit does XPS even have compared to X1? It's heavier, got a smaller screen and an annoying fan. Basically, it's consumer trash.

Isn't the TB port on the XPS13 kinda broken and doesn't work the way it's supposed to?
That might be something to take into account.

Personally I'm very hapypp with my HP Elitebook x360, but that doesn't offer 1440p, only fhd and uhd.

While the battery life is ok, it's bad compared to the competition and older MacBooks its bad. 8:40 in a very low brightness and load test. You don't want to have the brightness that low on the glossy screen in the daytime.

In real use, it's acctually worse. google.se/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-pro-users-complain-poor-battery-life/amp/

The poor battery life was due a bug in Safari, which they fixed almost half a year ago.
consumerreports.org/apple/consumer-reports-now-recommends-macbook-pros/
(Wonder how they test to reach these crazy numbers)

Due worsening despite a more efficient CPU, it seems likely that the current results are bug related too or otherwise some Apple fuck up, so there is technically potential for more too.

>You don't want to have the brightness that low on the glossy screen in the daytime.
Well, it's one of the less glossier glossy screens. The anti glare coating is pretty good, unless you're in a very bright room with direct sunlight shining in, 150nits will be fine. In a plane even a bit less does the job.

Besides, the battery tests for XPS and X1 are in W10, in Linux it tends to go down if you don't finetune it yourself.

MacBooks are the worst Linux laptops. ThinkPads, Latitudes, and EliteBooks are much better choices.

Yes the bug played some part, but it's still not good. They fixed the big but they also removed the battery life estimate to hide the poor battery life when you are actually doing something.

Go for thinkpad, much less trouble with running linux on it.

>but it's still not good
All the tests beg to differ.

>but they also removed the battery life estimate
Wasn't it during the testing? I do still have mine on High Sierra. (Though no, it doesn't last as long)

Filthy pleb

>posting amp links
>wanting to be taken seriously
Pick one.