I have to move and can't take my current computer with me

I have to move and can't take my current computer with me.
Was thinking of building a raspberry pi all-in-one because I always liked the idea. Now can I do web development on a raspberry pi or is it too weak? Also some light Ruby stuff.
I'll use the most powerful model or some copy like bananapi if it's better. Also ideally I'll run Ubuntu with kde or xfce.

You will probably hate yourself after a while, go with a laptop connected to a monitor.

Since you're probably going to uni you can bring that to classes as well.

if you're considering that, why not just do a proper sff build?

>go with a laptop connected to a monitor
this

Preferably an X200 with libreboot

>Preferably an X200 with libreboot
hook it up to 1024x768 CRT

I have mine connected to 1920x1080 monitor through hdmi

Not going to uni
Sorry for being an idiot but what is a sff build?
Would it be more powerful than a raspberry pi tho? I mean I like thinkpads but x200 is old as fuck

>Would it be more powerful than a raspberry pi tho? I mean I like thinkpads but x200 is old as fuck
yes, a lot more powerful and usable

>usable
*useful

tbqh, the raspberry pi is actually quite strong and could probably get some real work done. I mean, 1.2GHz quad core and a gig of ram with built in wireless and bluetooth. It would be a great option, but you would have to
A. Use Raspbian; it's the only truly stable and useful distro right now
b. accept that it's an arm processor; The software since the pi came out had gotten better suport and more plentlyful the past few years on the arm architecture, however, it's just not as broad and stable as x86.

assuming not bait

sff = small form-factor, packing a proper pc into a smaller volume case

there's a few that post in the Sup Forumsuts threads otherwise just google for itx pc builds and look at the pictures for ideas

you could pack a decent spec pc into a shoebox, basically

c. prepare to go full autism on lightweight software to keep ram and cpu usage under control

>Would it be more powerful than a raspberry pi tho? I mean I like thinkpads but x200 is old as fuck
Depends. For your purposes you're probably better served with a ~2GHz dualcore x86 CPU than a 1.2GHz quadcore ARM CPU.
But if you can stretch your budget further, I'd recommend you go with a newer and more powerful model than an X200 though. Either a 20 or 30 series depending on your preference for on the cheap.

I'm just saying it's totally doable if that's what the guy wants. It's a bretty good bang for his buck. But if the dude can shell out > $50 and get himself a netbook or laptop, that'd be ideal.

My X200 has 2.53 ghz core 2 duo and 8gb ram. It can stream youtube to a 1920x1080 monitor over hdmi with no lag. They're very cheap on ebay.

Yup. Didn't know what it stood for. That's all. Also regarding keeping resources under control it's ok. I can use it exclusively for this purpose.
It's not a money issue. It's just that I think it's a fun project and I want to do something with it. I could buy some better single board computer such as banana pi m64. Or is there something better?

>I could buy some better single board computer such as banana pi m64.
I wouldn't get a tiny developer board for regular use at all. There are probably many single motherboards or even prebuilts with Intel i3 or similar CPUs, way more powerful, expandable memory, better and more connectivity (USB 3).

>There are probably many single motherboards
I meant small motherboards, micro/mini ATX or whatever it is

I've always stuck with the pi3 because of it's overwhelming amount of support in the community. The pi hardware is the standard for a lot of arm-desktop software. Plus, there's great documentation, tutorials and many friendly and active people out there for the pi3. Other SBC's just don't have the same amount. As a fun project, or challenging yourself with weak hardware, it's a great idea, but you should really stick with an old laptop if you need to rely on this

Just get an Intel based NUC. Pi's are for autists.

i thought pi's were for kids who were learning about how computers work.
get a NUC.

x200 is like 5 years old. Go with a T540 or atleast the x230.

I wanted libreboot on it and those models aren't compatible unfortunately.

This fucking guy