/wdg/ Web Development General

memes will never make you happy

>old thread
>Discord / IRC
discord.gg/wdg
#Sup Forumswdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: rizon.net/chat

>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Everything you learn will have these as their base.
The Mozilla Developer Network offers a good intro (no matter your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Getting_started_with_the_web

>Online courses
codecademy.com/
freecodecamp.com/
bento.io/

>Further reading/viewing
youtube.com/watch?v=sBzRwzY7G-k
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

>Code challenges
codewars.com/
hackerrank.com/
codefights.com/

>Useful resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
libraries.io/ - Discover and keep track of open source libraries, modules and frameworks
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Useful Youtube channels
youtube.com/derekbanas
youtube.com/learncodeacademy - codecademy
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
youtube.com/user/shiffman - coding train

>cheap VPS hosting in most western locations
digitalocean.com/
vultr.com/
linode.com/
scaleway.com/
heroku.com/

an in-depth comparison of hosts
webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

udemy.com/the-web-developer-bootcamp/learn/v4/overview
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-redirect-www-to-non-www-with-nginx-on-centos-7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for PHP

Second for getting rid of css and using tables and images instead

I'd love to be 13 again but that's not a thing I miss from these times

what are some high-tier udemy courses

i wanna do full stack

To the user on the last thread who asked how much I paid for my Udemy course on webdev:

I got it on sale for $10. Really happy about that.

As soon as I finish my Google Analytics certification, my SEO training and my SalesForce cert, I'm gonna get cracking on this webdev thing

Question for you anons: What are some alternative trackers/analytics tools that someone like me (I'm working to be a full stack Marketer) can use instead of GA?

>tools that someone like me (I'm working to be a full stack Marketer) can use
Maybe a gun?

That's how I get clients to begin with tho

which one did you get bro

This one: udemy.com/the-web-developer-bootcamp/learn/v4/overview

I got it because I am a complete noob in the world of webdev, and have 0 programming skills. I was told this was a really good one, plus it gives a cert. It looks like the price has even gone up about $5 since I bought it.

My ultimate goal is to be able to setup website, manage the data and design content.

hello webdev

Post data isn't being sent from my ajax script to a php file.

Nothing prints out. The entry data, which is set to $id's value, is not being sent at all. After testing it a bit, I'm 100% confidant that the url is okay, so incorrect paths aren't an issue.

pic related is the code

GA is pretty much standard if you don't have a really high traffic website or one heavy on content. Piwik is another free solution however it is pretty limited

remember that the .js is executed in the user's web browser.
"../php/refresh.php" is not a url en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL

What's the best Git interface for Windows 10? I have a little website on Namecheap and I'd like to set up version control.

Would you guys be interested in watching me stream building a large SAAS application in node/react/redux and a bunch of server tech shit?

gitkraken is nice

I want to get into full-stack a little, but backend technologies seems overall like slow limited crap. Mainly Node and Ruby so slow. Then I was introduced to this beauty and it really seems like superior choice and actually performs better. Am I in beginner's euphoria here? Actually worth to learn?

elixir is very nice, although it isn't really faster than node. that doesn't make it slow because I have no idea what basis do you have for the claim that node is "so slow".
elixir with phoenix would probably be my favourite thing for fullstack if java/kotlin with spring weren't so perfect. also there are very few jobs in elixir, at least in my city (one job posting site sample: 2 for "elixir", 88 for "java spring", 85 for "php", 66 for "asp.net", 3 for "rails", 6 for "django")

Have you accepted Vue.js as your lord and savior?

Hey, OP, throw codility in with the challenges

there are programmers who stream themselves on twitch

One thing I like about vue.js is it has it's own official router. Install it, set the route paths, and you're all set.

React.js doesn't have an official router. Only bullshit third-party routers that keeps on breaking changes on every update. I've spent the last 2 days refactoring react-router v3 to v4 and its frustrating. Seems like react-router developers are just trolling on each version release. Know of any good routers for react that isn't full of shit?

I'm very, very new to web development.

I have a simple, static website.

I would like to add a simple, basic contact form.

I do not want to use a third-party service like Formspree.

I am ambivalent about it using HTTP like Mailgun or SMTP like Gmail.

I would prefer it be implemented in Node.js, but Python would be ok too.

Suggestions?

DEAR GOD PLEASE HIRE ME

>have a strong portfolio
>have amazing interview skills
>have a based resume and cover letter
>be very knowledgeable
>be outgoing and fun to be around
>apply to 400+ jobs

Are there any good free open imageboards available to spin up and host yourself?

there is many, Google should help you

vee-validate
vuex
vue-router

Is heaven.

Reactjs still has no semi standard validation, routes as html tags are awkward.

is it possible to put multiple conditions in js and get true if at least some of them are true(more than 1) ?

Lookup truth tables

Just explicitly cast each condition to a boolean (by negating its negation with !!), add them up, and check whether the sum is greater than 1.

e.g.
if (!!firstCond + !!secondCond + !!thirdCond + !!fourthCond > 1) {
// do the thing
}

I think that would work.

Does anyone have a list of ideas for portfolio projects?

Ordering a new keyboard soon, going for a small one.

Started learning wd not so long ago, do I need to use a lot the F_ keys?

Should I still learn Ruby on Rails?

>I got it on sale for $10. Really happy about that.

yeah, that's what I meant. Never pay more than that for those courses. Some user said if you frequently visit a course and walk away, it is guaranteed they will offer you a super-discount on it in a matter of days.

Are you retarded? Just google udemy coupon code and you'll find a code either for all courses or for a specifc course of your choice that will discount course to $10

with a proper react+mobx architecture you don't need any bloat

Newbie React dev here. How do I get into "testing"?

I hear "unit testing" and "testing" all the time -- what I do now is develop (MAKE STUFF) and fix bugs.

Can someone prime me on testing, what it means, and how I get into it exactly?

team treehouse vs lynda.com vs udemy vs freecodecamp for a beginner who wants to become a front end developer?

could you recommend some to follow? I'm a full stack web dev.

I'm making a web page for small business dealing in refrigerator appliances.

It will be a generic business page, Call to Action etc. There'll be no online sales; everything will be done offline, the old school way.

The webpage will have a list of products, however. They'll be continuously updated.
The owner is a technophobe, so I need an extremely simple way he can add new products.

Any pro tips on how to approach this?

Also looking for general advice on making a good, generic small business webpage.

Might as well use Wordpress for stuff like that, there are some plugins that let you add arbitrary fields to content easily.

What is the + icon that you can push to drop down a menu of links called?

I love PHP. took me hours to find and fix a bug caused by this. Who wants to take a stab at why this was happened?

$a
//6
$b
//6

$a == $b
//false

(int)$a == (int)$b
//false

md5($a) == md5($b)
//true

strlen($a)
//1

strlen($b)
//1

trim($a) == trim($b)
//true

I've got a trainee graduate position

Requirements

HTML5, CSS3, JS, JQuery, Bootstrap, PHP, SQL Server, Linux, Zend Framework or knowledge of multiple MVC frameworks, Unit Testing, Selenium, GIT, experience in deploying to a large scale load balanced server setup, experience in PCI compliant ecommerce, Ability to code PHP to google code standards.

Applicants will be required to demonstrate their coding abilities on a whiteboard.

Starting rate £16,000

>is now an experienced semi-senior developer and doesn't have to deal with that job market shit any more.

>Who wants to take a stab at why this was happened?
without reading the code, most probably because php is shit

the concept of using multiple containers on docker for each process of a web app seems so over complicated. a separate container for sql, nginx, and php and having to link them together seems like an unnecessary level of complexity. am I just retarded?

God here, you must have at least 10 years of experience with Angular JS to work for my innovative startup

maybe on linux, windows not really

what does /wdg/ use for a Dev environment?

laragon?
xampp
homestead?
something else?

ded thread ded board

I install all the tools I need through package manager and like use them

Wish I could wake up tomorrow and automatically know everything about Javascript and PHP

what?
never even heard of any of those

like said, I just install and run whatever I need

Octal?

Vagrant most of the time, don't like having everything on the main install and can use the same setup script for live servers.

How do I make text on Image look good?

Faded/blurry image, or background on text.
Post an example

maybe a semitransparent rect in the back of the text?

yes I will try this thank you based internet

quick question: what's a good way to implement this solution?

do a curves adjustment on the image

Only £16000/month! Damn that's what I earned when I was 11 years old with my image sharing website. I advice you to quit UK and create your biz to expand it and earn a little more at least.

make the image a background image

position text absolutely

position a div with opacity and background color behind the text

???

>position text absolutely
Pleb.

Exercise for the reader. Style using only Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

why would you not position the text absolutely if you know where it needs to be

breaks responsiveness

Because you should assume that the length of the text could change. If it's positioned absolutely then the outer box's size isn't reflective of the amount of text in the inner box, making responsiveness shit and maintainability shit, and will break when someone adds more text. If it is positioned normally and either using flexbox with two divs or one element like my example and using padding and psuedo elements then nothing will break if you add or remove text.

I'm trying to make a little greasemonkey script for Sup Forums itself, and I can't seem to get this onclick event to fire. Any tips?

var quotelinks = document.getElementsByClassName('quotelink');

for(i = 0; i < quotelinks.length; i++) {
quotelinks[i].onclick = function(event) { console.log('lol'); };
}

One of them was a float and was 5.99999...

Are the quote links generated dynamically? onClick will only bind to elements that exist at the time it's called.

Either use jquery (can you use jquery in greasemonkey?) and use .on("click" fuinction(){} ) or you can keep scanning the document for them.

setTimeout(function(){ quotelink code goes here }, 500);

the quotelinks are plain static tags. I can iterate over them and change their href, for instance. I think it's the fact that they're that messes with it.

I think I'll have to add jQuery to the script, but it feels a bit dirty

Is your code running before 4chans js kicks in and resets all of the onclick handlers to it's own functions.

interesting point, and likely. I'll look into it.

Try quotelinks[i]..addEventListener("click" function(){});

I set up an A record with www as a host pointing to my IP address using namecheap. However, when I go to the website, ?from=@ is appended to the end of the URL. Anyone know what's up with that?

look at your vhost or .htaccess

I just set up nginx (moving from Apache). There's nothing about a `from` parameter in there. Any ideas? I think namecheap may be automatically forwarding it.

What are the best coding challenge websites for Javascript? I've tried Coderbyte so far but their challenges are quite hard for a beginner like myself.

project euler

Anyone? ._.

what are you even asking? if you know node then just ajax the form data to your backend

Guys, hows the market for hapi.js compared to express? Which one is more required for a node.js junior dev

Express now because there are a lot of legacy applications developed with this framework.

Redpill me on authentication. What's the least autistic way to handle auth in node.js?

Learn both, express as main, hapi just learn how it works as backup

How much does a junior front-end developer earn?

digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-redirect-www-to-non-www-with-nginx-on-centos-7

what do YOU use to host your sites /wdg/

What is the most efficient and least resource-intensive way to allow different blocks of text to be loaded and unloaded dynamically via onclick events? Should I put the text into a SQL database and use PHP to call them or is it better to write all the different text blocks into the same document, hide them by default and toggle them on and off through jQuery?

about tree fiddy

depends on how many blocks you have and how often they need to change

Vultr $2.5/mo vps
They stopped selling it atm, but it handles a few wp installs fine with apache2/virtualhosts etc.

I was with digital ocean, but the $2.5 plan with vultr was perfect for what I need.

Digital Ocean and mostly duct taped jury-rigged configs for everything because I'm broke as fuck and dumb as rocks.

On another stupid note, does anybody know of a Wordpress quick cheat sheet of some sorts on the web? It feels stupid and weird asking this, but I have an interview tomorrow and the guy uses Wordpress and jQuery for his website. jQuery I'm more than familiar with, but I've never worked with WP before and it's going to suck if I go in saying that I've built things using Node, PHP, and Python, but I've never touched WordPress.

They need to change every time the user clicks on different elements. One element changes the text to one text block, another element changes it to another block. The user can also toggle it back to the default block of text. It's all done through onclick

well if I'm guessing right you're the web game guy then I think you can just keep the descriptions as strings in javascript and swap them in and out.
anyway, always start with the easier solution first unless you're like 99% sure that the more complex one will be needed soon (for example a feature allowing administrators to manage the blocks of text through a friendly web interface)

spin up a wp server with DO and fuck around with it for a day, its pretty simple, most people just load in plugins/themes they like and go from there.

Cheers buddy.

So i have executed query and i want json output
how can i do that?
i did something like
$class = array();
$stmt = $dbq->getAllActiveClasses($_SESSION['student_session']);
foreach ($stmt as $row){
array_push($class,$dbq ->getCourseName($row['id_course']),$dbq->getProfessorName($row['id_professor']));

}

echo json_encode($class, JSON_PRETTY_PRINT);

i get output like
[
"something",
"something",
"something"
]