So i've recently installed linux 17.04 onto a would be windows computer...

So i've recently installed linux 17.04 onto a would be windows computer. just wondering if there is any windows emulators available yet for the 17.04 system

>linux 17.04

Ubuntu bru.. clearly

why not just install windows

stop

This is some very well constructed bait

uuuuh. privacy, performance, cost. prefer the user interface.. i wanted linux

>linux 17.04
> recently installed

No (you) didn't.

rrrrrright.. i get the feeling im getting rejected here. cheers. cheers guys

Iommu for running Windows applications

>linux 17.04
>windows emulator

do i just turn it off then? or on.. i dont know what state its currenntly in but its shown as VT-x and VT-d

>current year
>not emulating Windows on your fresh 17.04 install

I'm going to help you out cause Sup Forums is full of elitists.

When referring to what you installed use the distribution name.

There is no "emulator" of Windows (doesn't need to be cause Linux and windows run on the same hardware) but there is a kind of abstraction layer that interprets calls to the windows kernel and windows libraries and translates them to work on Linux. It's called WINE and most of the time it's trash.

The iommu was a joke. It allows you to pass hardware through to a VM and get native performance. Good if you know what you're doing but complicated to set up.

If you really need Windows I suggest just using Windows in the mean time and learning Linux in a vm.

Hope this helps.

Yeah.. it really fucking did. thanks

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Wine is can emulate to a decent level(once got it to run Victoria II) but just dualboot to avoid the hassle

I have better luck with very old windows software.

appreciate the input there keith but the simple answer i got, which loosely translated to, "im not a cunt so let me actually give you some useful advice", will suffice

Install PlaysonLinux to help you setup WINE games, install games on WINE. Or just load native Linux Steam and be surprised by how much of your library is native.

wine, vmware, virtualbox

though only reason to use windows is for gaymen in which case unless you have 2 video outs with one being a gpu and a good processor (gamingforlinux will set you up), just dual boot ubuntu/windows

>gpu
should have said dedicated video card (not onboard graphics)

>the only reason to run Windows is gaymen

I only run Linux but please tell me you can see that this is blatantly false?

what reason other than better support for games is there to run windows?

Just dual boot windows. What you need to do is install Windows first then install Ubuntu while selecting the dual OS option.

Using a VM will be terrible unless you have a super computer.

DEFINITELY install Windows before any GNU/Linux distro. Windows doesn't play nice when being installed next to GRUB (bootloader for most Linux distros).

And I'm still on 4.9. Fucking lazy Arch maintainers.

>just wondering if there is any windows emulators available yet for the 17.04 system

Just run one or many Windows virtual machines.

Dual booting is cancer. Not worth it at all.

What shitty app is there on windaids that doesn't run on wine or have a superior native alternative on Linux?

Are you serious? Photo, video, audio editing software. Software pushed by schools and workplaces.

I can tell you're 16 from how you type.

A good MS paint alternative is hard to find

You're doing it backwards, use Hyper-V.

Move the goalposts homo, name some specifics or KYS. The only thing microshit windaids can do better than linux is let the internet install random bullshit and trash your computer irretrievably.

As I've already stated I only use Linux so I have nothing personally tying me to Windows. I know people who are required to use proprietary shit ware on Windows to do their job or study at university. I know someone who writes exam questions and they have to be submitted through IE using shockwave. Some companies/education institutions just won't learn I guess.

And explain how any of those solutions can't be catered by WINE or a VM?